• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
I can very much relate to what Schopenhauer wrote. Just reading every single page and shouting out loud "this hits the spot" makes me sometimes wonder why people identify him as INFJ. I find him misanthropic, deeply adoring solitude, and maybe even giving a bit of nihilistic ideas. I don't think that's a straight F trait.

So... INFJ? WHY?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I have a difficult time thinking ANY infj could write this little gem: Schopenhauer: On Women

I'd say INTJ but I never really understood his fourfold root, or his cohesive philosophy. Loose guess at best.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I'm not too well versed in Schopenhauer, but I have seen a tendency towards a certain darkness among INFJs.

I think they sometimes feel like the world is so out of touch with their Ni+Fe vision, that they sink into a nihilistic malaise.

Just my two cents.

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
While Schopenhauer was talking how to communicate, he strictly spoke positively on Solitude and it's big pros. Is that considered F? I think INFJ values people, wants the best relationships possible with everyone.

Nicodemus

Schopenhauer praised solitude also because he was lonesome; it is, in fact, one of his trademarks that he found many a great argument to applaud whatever trait he happened to possess.

I have little doubt that he was an INTP, the alternative being INTJ.

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
He was lonesome because he wanted it that way, not that the surroundings left no other choice. Isolated himself a bit, for his own sake. Generally, INFJs are people persons and could look extroverted sometimes.

In books I find him too systematic to be INTP.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He was lonesome because he wanted it that way, not that the surroundings left no other choice. Isolated himself a bit, for his own sake. Generally, INFJs are people persons and could look extroverted sometimes.

In books I find him too systematic to be INTP.

your generalizations for infjs are off the mark. schopenhauer, whatever he was, was an enneagram 5. either sp/sx or sx/sp. a 5w4 infj looks way differently than you describe, and a lot of the characteristics that make someone an intj or intp or actually strong expressions of 5w4 and relevant for 5w4 infjs too. all of us 5w4s identify with nietzsche, for instance, a 5w4 sx/sp intj.

5w4 sx/sp looks very very brooding when not really centered, purposeful, and pried open, feeling established and connected to the world, and deeply engaged with other creative individuals searching for truth (seeing the world and aspects of the world in truest context).

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
His hope in philosophy was to help others understand the truths of the world - to help them escape from suffering. Conclusions can be drawn in any fashion, independent of type, but the goal tends to always somewhat subconsciously: his was developed in Fe style. However, plenty of people disliked his pessimism, which caused him to seclude himself from those who he saw as foolishly disagreeing.

I don't see why it doesn't work out.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not too well versed in Schopenhauer, but I have seen a tendency towards a certain darkness among INFJs.

I think they sometimes feel like the world is so out of touch with their Ni+Fe vision, that they sink into a nihilistic malaise.

Just my two cents.

necessitated by the cognitive functions themselves, or brought about by the abyss between e4 and e5 that functions at a different order of expression (to produce the most fundamentally existential conflict between self and truth)?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can very much relate to what Schopenhauer wrote. Just reading every single page and shouting out loud "this hits the spot" makes me sometimes wonder why people identify him as INFJ. I find him misanthropic, deeply adoring solitude, and maybe even giving a bit of nihilistic ideas. I don't think that's a straight F trait.

So... INFJ? WHY?

I think you're going about it the wrong way. A philosopher's worldview is not always an expression of his personality or let alone a temperament. To discover his type, you need to study his biography and his informal, personal essays that he published in Parerga und Paralipomena. Studying his most popular writings won't give you enough insight about the cognitive tendencies of his temperament to discover what his type was.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you're going about it the wrong way. A philosopher's worldview is not always an expression of his personality or let alone a temperament. To discover his type, you need to study his biography and his informal, personal essays that he published in Parerga und Paralipomena. Studying his most popular writings won't give you enough insight about the cognitive tendencies of his temperament to discover what his type was.

+1

An ESFP and INTJ can both agree that the sky is blue.

Mattman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He was spot-on about women. Just because he had a bad relationship with his mother doesn't make his views on women invalid.

Contemporary people are so quick to point out stuff like that when they speak the truth about women.

I think INFJ fits. He was well aware of humanity and it's general state. A lot of this understanding seems to be Fe based.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
His hope in philosophy was to help others understand the truths of the world - to help them escape from suffering. Conclusions can be drawn in any fashion, independent of type, but the goal tends to always somewhat subconsciously: his was developed in Fe style. However, plenty of people disliked his pessimism, which caused him to seclude himself from those who he saw as foolishly disagreeing.

I don't see why it doesn't work out.

That's Fi/Te or Te/Fi.

Personal vision put forth into the world in a systematic way. Or a systematic view of the world put forth based on personal vision.

I haven't read a lot about him but Ni can give solipsistic view of the world.

I don't see Fe/Ti at all from what I've read into him.

I can see INFP or INTJ.

Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.

We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people.

^^ That is some defeated Fi right there. Beaten down by Fe talk.

Imageshackdiana

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Personally I have never seen Schopenhauer as INFJ at the beginning
I thought he was the typical existentialist philosopher / cliche nihilist who only said pessimistic phrases because he wanted to get some attention like those that today are filled with money and become philosophers to name Foucault
But getting into his philosophy, I discovered that he just wanted to rescue people from their loneliness, or at least guide them to deal with them. I think that this is an altruistic act typical of an INFJ, some do not agree that it is INFJ because it is very "odious" to be, or insane. However, even a person like Hitler who ordered the killing of people has altruistic goals behind what he says or does