• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shutter Island MBTI

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
I watched this film for the first time a couple of nights ago, and probably need a second viewing before I decide if I like it or not (I guessed the first interpretation of the ending after ten minutes, but that aside, it was very atmospheric.)

Anyway, what do you all think the types are for the main characters? I'd advise we warn about spoilers here too.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Very interesting movie. I watched it three times in two days a couple of months ago...I was set on understanding everything in the movie. Sadly, I didn't analyze the characters as well as I should.

(SPOILER ALERT) it's difficult to type the mentally insane and people who are putting on an act. because there were no healthy, non-acting people in the movie (SPOILER ALERT!!) know what I'm sayinnnnn?

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
I think it also depends on which version of events you believe, especially when typing people such as Teddy and Cawley.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay with some use of Wikipedia to remember everyone's names...

Marshall Chuck: I always saw as an ISFJ. Loyal, dependable, kind-natured.
Dr John Cawley: ENTJ

I'm leaving it there. I NEVER attempt to type the mentally unsound. It's nigh on impossible.

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks guys for getting the ball rolling... what if we say (for exploration's sake) Teddy was right?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'd say ISTP for Teddy.

redacted

The wife is probably ENFP.

Teddy is probably ISTP.

Cawley might be INTJ?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Spoilers- like duh.

Cawley's an NF of some sort, I'd think. He is like the portrait of an idealist. Think about when he says things like "I have this strange notion that if you treat someone like a human being and with respect, they will be better equipped to control themselves" or something, that's a very loose paraphrase. The WHOLE MOVIE is his elaborate and very impractical treatment plan for Andrew. It works, but he doesn't know it works, because Andrew decides to be lobotomized to forget the pain of what his wife did and what he did. The German doctor is Cawley's INTJ foil, and the slightly unhinged warden is his xSTx foil. That was one of the things I really liked about the movie, that triangulation. It was done very subtly.

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Spoilers- like duh.

Cawley's an NF of some sort, I'd think. He is like the portrait of an idealist. Think about when he says things like "I have this strange notion that if you treat someone like a human being and with respect, they will be better equipped to control themselves" or something, that's a very loose paraphrase. The WHOLE MOVIE is his elaborate and very impractical treatment plan for Andrew. It works, but he doesn't know it works, because Andrew decides to be lobotomized to forget the pain of what his wife did and what he did. The German doctor is Cawley's INTJ foil, and the slightly unhinged warden is his xSTx foil. That was one of the things I really liked about the movie, that triangulation. It was done very subtly.

SPOILERS

Dr Cawley, on second viewing, strikes me as either an ENFJ or an INFJ.The German doctor is most definitely INTJ, and I also agree that Chuck is your traditional ISFJ. Andrew strikes me as INTP because he is able to create a whole life story, with anagrams as well, in order to block out his guilt/pain. If he's actually Teddy, maybe ISTP...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would definitely sign on for xNFJ for Dr. Cawley.

I don't know that we get a real indication of Chuck's type since he's playing a role almost the whole time- and the role he is playing is that of caretaker. I don't think that means the doctor who is playing Chuck is an ISFJ.

In terms of interpretation, I don't entertain the notion that Andrew is actually Teddy at all. It seems obvious to me that he is not. But having said that I don't really get a good feel for Andrew's type since he's experiencing a break with reality for most of the movie.

Entroverted

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I also thought Cawley was an xNFJ, the F is really quite obvious. I don't know about Andrew, his perception was really much too clouded to really make an judgment on that, but IxTP is a distinct possibility. Chuck is hard to type, as Ivy explained, but he seems extroverted. I'd say perhaps ENFJ. I agree with FalseHeart on the Naehring as an INTJ, but he could also be INTP.