• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pharrell Williams

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
notes

- immediately brings up importance of emotional reaction to music (nf)
- expresses no remorse for being a workaholic, at expense of social life (estj/infj)
- growth/mistake -oriented (nfj/stp)
- doesn't struggle to express concern for all perspectives in a linear manner with realistic expectations (nfj), particularly concerning music

I'll go with infj.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Cool and quiet guy who's highly creative and have an insane sense of fashion and harmony in color, music, souds, clothes, rythm etc. I can see ESFP also, I agree he is a 7w6. Sp/Sx?

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say ISxP.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He comes off as very INFP in this video:

BLAST: Interview with Pharrell Williams | Hypebeast

Lots of focus on, "What does that feel like?" "How does that affect you?" "What emotional sensations does this create for people?"

He repeats that his most important value is to express himself in every way he can and hope that it will affect others in a powerful way. Sounds awfully Fi.

I could go with ISFP too, I guess, if he just had really powerful Ni, but my impression is very INFP.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
He comes off as very INFP in this video:

BLAST: Interview with Pharrell Williams | Hypebeast

Lots of focus on, "What does that feel like?" "How does that affect you?" "What emotional sensations does this create for people?"

He repeats that his most important value is to express himself in every way he can and hope that it will affect others in a powerful way. Sounds awfully Fi.

I could go with ISFP too, I guess, if he just had really powerful Ni, but my impression is very INFP.

The quoted lines are remarkably similar to stuff that's come out of Brian Eno's mouth.

Regardless of the fact that Williams is letting people make up their own decisions about his project, the compulsive nature of the questions he'd like to ask leads me to think he's in no less of a position than of complete control, like a vulture red-eying some carrion. Tell me tit-for-tat how you feel about this before I rip one of your eyeballs out.

and Eno.
"For the world to be interesting, you have to be manipulating it all the time."

"If you want to make someone feel emotion, you have to make them let go. Listening to something is an act of surrender."

Look at how word "make" is applied in this context. It's a direct/hard action verb, one which I'd suggest infps would be among the least likely of the types to use in circumstances such as because their focus is on maintaining harmony, aka their own feelings, or state of mind. (another example: "shut the light off" or "turn the light off").

Williams, like other infjs in print/elsewhere, has a tendency to repeat key words, whether formality-related or otherwise (in the video's case, he uses the word "war" 5 times in the span of 30 seconds). An infp would be far less inclined to verbalize just to fill up space. In comparison, Williams does. estjs love the shit out of people who keep busy, don't they?

So without wasting anymore energy, I think both are much too systematic/cerebral and controlling (in a behind the scenes/nfj way) not to be infj.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Interesting point, and while I must admit I am not super familiar with Pharrell, he doesn't seem to be using nearly as aggressive and determined phrasings as the Eno quotes you've listed.

I don't know much about Eno at all--I take it you've given him INFJ?

Anyway, Williams here is stating things much more passively. His phrasings don't remind me that much of the ones you've posted by Eno. His Feeling is self-focused, not so much focused on others. He stresses that his main goal is expressing himself, and that if it makes an impact on others then that's cool, but not really necessary or the main point. He doesn't seem to have Eno's directive communication style, instead opting to phrase things much more informatively.

INFJ artists seem focused on picking an important message and then making others feel it as part of a deliberate plan of action--manipulating the world all the time, as Eno put it.

INFP artists seem more focused on picking an important message and then expressing it in a way that feels totally fulfilling to them. As long as the INFP got the message out into a creative medium that expresses how he felt about it, whether or not others react strongly to it is beside the point. That is the vibe Pharrell gives me in this interview.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^ Interesting point, and while I must admit I am not super familiar with Pharrell, he doesn't seem to be using nearly as aggressive and determined phrasings as the Eno quotes you've listed.

I don't know much about Eno at all--I take it you've given him INFJ?

Anyway, Williams here is stating things much more passively. His phrasings don't remind me that much of the ones you've posted by Eno. His Feeling is self-focused, not so much focused on others. He stresses that his main goal is expressing himself, and that if it makes an impact on others then that's cool, but not really necessary or the main point. He doesn't seem to have Eno's directive communication style, instead opting to phrase things much more informatively.

INFJ artists seem focused on picking an important message and then making others feel it as part of a deliberate plan of action--manipulating the world all the time, as Eno put it.

INFP artists seem more focused on picking an important message and then expressing it in a way that feels totally fulfilling to them. As long as the INFP got the message out into a creative medium that expresses how he felt about it, whether or not others react strongly to it is beside the point. That is the vibe Pharrell gives me in this interview.

I don't know much about either at all. Just enough to get to the point where I can type them then move onto filling in the rest of that side of the rubik's cube.

William's delivery is thinly glossed over in passivity; he's intent on drawing direct results/responses from whoever experiences his art with pre-defined questions, which is an alien process/concept to me.

There's a different sort of cockiness that the two types exude that seems to be tied to their assertiveness and desire for official beginnings/endings. Consider the statement, "infps tend not to be as active when analyzing situations, aka purely based on emotional resonance, which can lead to making decisions based on inconclusive evidence." That sound like you could've written it? Because at times I've certainly felt a strange sort of arrogance by what I think might be too heavy a reliance on tertiary Si. Who knows what to call it.

For instance, I wrote a childrens book for one of my last college courses that had a lot of dense as fuck emotion; as I read the thing in front of everyone, I carefully measured the temperature for subtleties, jaws slowly melting with each page. Once done, I left. Whether it's energy level or whatever one wants to call it is up to...

Maybe Williams has lots of infp friends/family that influence him, or maybe it's too subtle a difference that I'm able to put into words. We can probably agree on the idea that infjs are less apt than infps to let their feelings dictate their actions/projections due to their function order. Williams' active collection of information (including emotional responses) leads me to believe that he's not working primarily from a feelings-based function, but from something else. He doesn't jump to lazy conclusions like an infp.

I see this as Je at work; build it and they will come.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I vote INFJ, he doesnt have much of a social life, but makes time for family, he is extremely hard working, very artistic, seems intuitive, & juggles many different projects.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We need a thread for his hat too.

o-PHARRELL-HAT-570.jpg

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I vote INFJ, he doesnt have much of a social life, but makes time for family, he is extremely hard working, very artistic, seems intuitive, & juggles many different projects.

ISFP 7w6 sx. Perfect entertainer after all