• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wall Street

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I saw this movie for the first time today! It was really good.
Thoughts on the main characters?

Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen): ESTP (ISTP?)
Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas): ENTJ
Carl Fox (Martin Sheen): ISTJ (ISFJ?)
Darien Taylor (Daryl Hannah): ISTP (ISFP?, ESFP?)

Last edited:

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I only agree on Gordon Gekko.

Gordon Gekko - ENTJ (Yes, Gordon Gekko is essentially a walking ENTJ stereotype.)
Bud Fox - INTJ (ENTJ is a possibility, but he appears nervous rather than energized in major social situations - if he is an extrovert, he's a shy one, making introversion more likely. Additionally, he displays Te and Fi rather than Ti and Fe. His Ni also strikes me as far too strong to be inferior, both of these facts eliminating ESTP as an option.)
Carl Fox: ISFJ (How is Carl a thinker or an extrovert in any way, shape, or form? He's a rather blatant feeler, and is not a very sociable sort. Fe or Fi is the question, as he displays both to a very strong degree. However, his Si seems stronger than his Se, thus ISFJ.)
Darien Taylor: ESFP (She's very Fi, and ISFP would be my second guess, but she isn't shown to require periods of social downtime or to be socially nervous in any manner. Se-Fi seems to fit her quite well, thus ESFP.)

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I only agree on Gordon Gekko.

Gordon Gekko - ENTJ (Yes, Gordon Gekko is essentially a walking ENTJ stereotype.)
Bud Fox - INTJ (ENTJ is a possibility, but he appears nervous rather than energized in major social situations - if he is an extrovert, he's a shy one, making introversion more likely. Additionally, he displays Te and Fi rather than Ti and Fe. His Ni also strikes me as far too strong to be inferior, both of these facts eliminating ESTP as an option.)
Carl Fox: ISFJ (How is Carl a thinker or an extrovert in any way, shape, or form? He's a rather blatant feeler, and is not a very sociable sort. Fe or Fi is the question, as he displays both to a very strong degree. However, his Si seems stronger than his Se, thus ISFJ.)
Darien Taylor: ESFP (She's very Fi, and ISFP would be my second guess, but she isn't shown to require periods of social downtime or to be socially nervous in any manner. Se-Fi seems to fit her quite well, thus ESFP.)

Yes, Gordon Gekko is a definite ENTJ. :evil:

My reason for thinking Bud Fox is an ESTP is because his Se seems very strong.. possibly ISTP then. His Se (wanting short-term rewards) was what got him in this mess in the first place. However, I agree that he doesn't have inferior Ni- so yea.. ISTP probably makes the most sense.

I'd type Carl as a Thinker because he does things based on principle- which is a T thing to do. I found Te to be a strong function for him. I guess I could see ISTJ or even ISFJ though. He's quick verbally which is a reason why I'm leaning more towards E. A reason for his lack of sociability could be because he's a T and not an F. He wasn't nice or accommodating at all when dealing with people but did what he felt was the smartest thing to do.. that's why I'm thinking ESTJ or ISTJ. However, as I think about it- I'm leaning towards ISTJ and will edit my OP.

Darien, I originally was thinking her Fi was stronger than her Ti but I guess it matters by why she chose to stick with Gekko in the end. If she felt that it was more logical to be on Gekko's side, she would have stronger Ti.. if it was moreso because she loved him more than Bud- then Fi. Some Extraverts are socially nervous and some Introverts aren't socially nervous- so that's not really a strong reason to decide between E or I. Also I didn't really see her in situations with large groups at all- so that makes it difficult.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd type Carl as a Thinker because he does things based on principle- which is a T thing to do.
Are you high or something? Acting on principle is an F trait to the core; Thinkers by comparison act on logic.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Are you high or something? Acting on principle is an F trait to the core; Thinkers by comparison act on logic.

There's a big difference between "principle" and "value". Principles are typically based on logic while values are typically based on emotion.

Jaguar

There's a big difference between "principle" and "value". Principles are typically based on logic while values are typically based on emotion.

prin·ci·ple (prns-pl)
n.
1. A basic truth, law, or assumption: the principles of democracy.
a. A rule or standard, especially of good behavior: a man of principle. "he will not violate his principles"
b. The collectivity of moral or ethical standards or judgments: a decision based on principle rather than expediency.
3. A fixed or predetermined policy or mode of action.
4. A basic or essential quality or element determining intrinsic nature or characteristic behavior: the principle of self-preservation.
5. A rule or law concerning the functioning of natural phenomena or mechanical processes: the principle of jet propulsion.

Liesl

prin·ci·ple (prns-pl)
n.
a. A rule or standard, especially of good behavior: a man of principle. "he will not violate his principles"
b. The collectivity of moral or ethical standards or judgments: a decision based on principle rather than expediency.
4. A basic or essential quality or element determining intrinsic nature or characteristic behavior: the principle of self-preservation.
5. A rule or law concerning the functioning of natural phenomena or mechanical processes: the principle of jet propulsion.
The actual English language definitions of terms are not equivalent with their definitions in the context of MBTI. For example, the definition of extrovert is not the same in the dictionary as it is within MBTI. Just for the record.

G

Ginkgo

WEEE CONFUSION!

This is when hair-splitting about MBTI can become quite muddled. The fact is that people generally have different conceptions about the context of these kinds of words. And, likewise, people think they have seen these functions within different contexts of behavior. This creates a disconnect when people communicate about them.

I see Ti as a function that categorizes. It coins symbols. These symbols are best described as archetypes or models. I don't think "principles" is correct.

Liesl

WEEE CONFUSION!

This is when hair-splitting about MBTI can become quite muddled. The fact is that people generally have different conceptions about the context of these kinds of words. And, likewise, people think they have seen these functions within different contexts of behavior. This creates a disconnect when people communicate about them.

I see Ti as a function that categorizes. It coins symbols. These symbols are best described as archetypes or models. I don't think "principles" is correct.
Te is the function that "categorizes" as far as my understanding of the word "categorize"

It makes sense to associate the word "model" with Ti, but certainly not the word "symbols" or "archetypes."

Jaguar

The actual English language definitions of terms are not equivalent with their definitions in the context of MBTI. For example, the definition of extrovert is not the same in the dictionary as it is within MBTI. Just for the record.

It's not even worth it. :laugh:

G

Ginkgo

Te is the function that "categorizes" as far as my understanding of the word "categorize"

It makes sense to associate the word "model" with Ti, but certainly not the word "symbols" or "archetypes."

The word architect means (arkhi-, chief + tekton, builder), i.e. chief builder.

The word archetype means The Greek roots are arkhe- ("first" or "original") and typos ("model," "type").

The architect conceives an archetype of the architecture. It is no wonder why the INTP is considered "The Architect", or why the ISTP is considered "The Technician"

When Ti manifests itself in the form of "defending a principle", it is not defending a value or ethic. It is defending the soundness of an archetype, which is conceived by the Ti oriented person.

Liesl

The word architect means (arkhi-, chief + tekton, builder), i.e. chief builder.

The word archetype means The Greek roots are arkhe- ("first" or "original") and typos ("model," "type").

The architect conceives an archetype of the architecture. It is no wonder why the INTP is considered "The Architect", or why the ISTP is considered "The Technician"

When Ti manifests itself in the form of "defending a principle", it is not defending a value or ethic. It is defending the soundness of an archetype, which is conceived by the Ti oriented person.
Well, according to that definition of an archetype, it sounds correct. And yeah, that's exactly what the point was about Ti.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
prin·ci·ple (prns-pl)
n.

I'll accept pwnge, *whiteflag*.
Maybe next time! ;)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Obsessed with this movie....big surprise, eh?

Bud Fox: INTJ...definitely. He's got the Te and Fi, but they're not central.
THA GEKKO: ENTJ. To the point of parody.
Papa Fox: ISFJ. Seemed kind of holed up and reserved, but hell bent on traditional values of what's "right" and "wrong".
Blondie: ISFP. I think she was all into art and architecture, wasn't she? But she didn't seem like much of an N. Or a J. Seemed rather quiet too.