• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elizabeth Gilbert, author of "Eat, pray, love"

Chloe

Any idea on her type?
ENFP probably? :yes:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbZrZ8T_5sE"]...[/YOUTUBE]

Chloe

the most NF book EVER and nobody has opinion about it ? :(

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:huh: Honestly, I've never heard of her...

Chloe

Read the book, it's very good!!! It's about her journey in search of herself... 1 year in Italy,India and Indonesia...

there's movie with Julia Roberts playing her comign out in August

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
That was one of the books that my book club read. It was an interesting story of traveling to countries that all had names that began with an "I." Unfortunately, I thought that the book was a little too self-indulgent. I would have liked to have read a lot more about the cultures of these countries and how she experienced them. She got to go to all of these exotic and romantic places and she still was fixated on her own personal melodrama???
But the book gave me an idea. I'd like to write a book in which I too visit places that begin with the letter "I."
For my adventure, I chose Iceland, Ireland, and Isle of Man.
Now, to figure out the funding for this adventure!!! :devil:

Chloe

That was one of the books that my book club read. It was an interesting story of traveling to countries that all had names that began with an "I." Unfortunately, I thought that the book was a little too self-indulgent. I would have liked to have read a lot more about the cultures of these countries and how she experienced them. She got to go to all of these exotic and romantic places and she still was fixated on her own personal melodrama??

Woman had nervous break down before going! what do you expect? :) I mean.. I agree the book (and Gilbert) are both self-indulgent but I dont view it neccessary as bad thing, that's just her. I read half of the book 2 yrs ago and hated it bc I couldnt relate to her because she sounded too old to me, but now I loved it. I matured a bit.

and I guess NFs (and all women) would dig that book more than NTs.

But the book gave me an idea. I'd like to write a book in which I too visit places that begin with the letter "I."
Now, to figure out the funding for this adventure!!! :devil:

good luck with that! :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The clip makes her seem kind of annoying and the book doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'm more of a fiction reader anyway.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to write a book in which I too visit places that begin with the letter "I."

It probably beats Iran, Iraq, and Illinois.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I was considering Iran, Iraq, and Israel but then my survival instinct kicked in... as for Illinois, hmm, a book about states that begin with I... Illinois, Iowa, and Idaho!!!

It probably beats Iran, Iraq, and Illinois.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I understand about that. But I guess that I can't relate, being a non-NF. But still, what an opportunity, to travel like that! She's so far away from the source of her emotional pain. It was no longer part of her experiences! She could forget about it and be in the moment that she was living in... in Italy, India, and Indonesia. I wanted to read more about her discovery of her inner strength as she explored parts of the world that she had never before seen.

Woman had nervous break down before going! what do you expect? :) I mean.. I agree the book (and Gilbert) are both self-indulgent but I dont view it neccessary as bad thing, that's just her. I read half of the book 2 yrs ago and hated it bc I couldnt relate to her because she sounded too old to me, but now I loved it. I matured a bit.

and I guess NFs (and all women) would dig that book more than NTs.

good luck with that! :D

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think I may have to read this. I had no idea it was about "her" more than the places she visited. Now I'm interested. Especially since I learned she had a breakdown before going. Sounds like good stuff for writing.

Chloe

anyone seen a movie?

i havent, here it'll be out in october, but from trailer i expect they destroyed all the good things about the book..

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The book was all right; there were elements I really enjoyed, and then elements that kind of annoyed me.

Anyway, I think ENFP or ESFJ. ExFx is very clear to me; I don't see anything remotely resembling an introvert in her based on her writing/memoir. If anything, the whole point of her journey was to reach some self awareness for once in her life, and to 'explore' introversion, which she lacked or pushed away or diverted for all of those years prior.

Chloe

^ she is living and breathing Fi, imo, no way she's ESFJ. And HUGE NF.

I also enjoyed some parts of book, but I did enjoy it, maybe because I can relate a lot.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hm, i liked some parts of the book. the parts where she was travelling and talking about places.

but she whined about herself a lot too. which, self-discovery, yay, but it was too much to entertain me sometimes. ENFP needs to be careful about this :)

anyway i agree ENFP. she sounds really Ne, and Fi, and no way she's an I. i think she's close N-S though.

Chloe

i really dont understand why are people bothered by her whining about herself.. it's personal journal.. never had diary or anything, but i am pretty sure everybody whines in his/her diary about her/himself 95% of the time, this person only decided to publish it because she knows how to write..like the rest of us dont do the same thing in our heads. :/
i can understand it's boring to some, but to claim she's way too self-centered, well, she is if every person who holds diary is.
and that's also her first book about herself.. :/

skylights said:
i think she's close N-S though.

just curious; why?

but it was too much to entertain me sometimes. ENFP needs to be careful about this

this is fucking true :yim_rolling_on_the_
but there's no way i can do it

i mean, i can, if i fake it. if people want me to fake it, great!
other way, i always speak from personal experience. that's it.
i've been annoyed by that in meself, but then i cant change it so fuck it.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7

You're not missing out on much.

Add my vote to the ENFP. That's the impression I get. I'm a guy and I read through like the first few chapters and I put it down. Couldn't say why really, but I couldn't get myself to finish. Something about her personality pissed me off. Actually, it was probably when I learned that her trip was funded by a 200K advance on the book she planned to write after her trip was over, it just turned me off completely.

As for why it's popular, I chalk this up to the overwhelming hypnotic force that is Oprah's Book Club.

This amazon review put it really nicely:

"My biggest problem with this tome is that this 30-something woman basically is looking for applause for running off for a year, obstensibly supported by a $200K book advance, to "find God." I'm sure millions of women would love to leave their everyday lives and travel the world to do nothing but self analyze. If she had done volunteer work, I may have felt differently. If she went through some real hardship, I could sympathize. But she was in an incompatible marriage, then dumped by the guy she left her husband for. She should perhaps speak to those battling life-threatening diseases, or raising children alone, or taking care of an elderly parent, or worried about where their next meal is coming from.

And for all of her self-realization and navel-gazing to end her dependence on men, Ms Gilbert has, as pointed out by anotherAmazon reviewer, married her Brazilian and moved to new Jersey. She could have saved Penguin Books a whole lot of money by getting in her car and going through the Lincoln Tunnel. I wonder how long before she ends up back on the bathroom floor. "

Amazon.com: Lynne701's review of Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Ev...