• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fringe

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Anyone else watch this show?
I've seen Season 1 so far.
In my opinion, there are eight characters who are typable.

Olivia Dunham: INFP
Peter Bishop: ENTP
Dr. Walter Bishop: INTJ
Phillip Broyles: ISTJ
Charlie Francis: ESFJ
Nina Sharp: ENTJ
Astrid Farnsworth: ISFJ
John Scott: ESTP

Agree? Disagree?

Last edited:

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
No Fringe fans here? That's a shame.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I love Fringe. I've just never gotten around to typing them. I'm not much good at it anyway.

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Olivia Dunham: INFJ
Peter Bishop: ISTP
Dr. Walter Bishop: ENTP

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Olivia Dunham: INFJ
Peter Bishop: ISTP
Dr. Walter Bishop: ENTP

I'm not sure about Olivia, I think she could be an SJ, but I like those other two.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I thought that series would be crap, but got watching because Olivia is an interesting character. See how often she just stares somewhere and doesn't say anything, but seems like she is collecting ideas in her head. You don't see that in many series, usually people are just blabbering away... I'd say she's xNFJ, or maybe xSFJ. I have a feeling she's INFJ, but what happens in the end of the second season (I don't want to spoil anything) makes it unclear if she is an E after all.

Peter = ENTP
Walter = INTJ

Actually now that I've been watching, it is a fairly entertaining show... I just skip the episodes where the big story doesn't go anywhere (you can tell, because if the story continues there is the "previously in fringe" in the beginning).

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Series is interesting, though just like nolla I prefer the episodes where the main story goes on.

I don't see Olivia as INFP as the OP does. I would say she is IxFJ, cannot really tell whether N or S, would tend to say N maybe.

Other characters I find somewhat difficult to type, besides Broyles who is ISTJ to me.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I haven't seen the second season yet but Olivia seems too Fi-oriented to be an INFJ but definitely lacking in the Te to be an INTJ..

Boelthorn

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, last entry was years ago, but in case somebody reads this:

I agree that Peter is ISTP (ENTP? That dude? Outside of debating clubs and trolling ENTPs aren't really confontational people. They kind of crave for harmony (yeah, generalization, i know). There seem to be a real bias when it comes to intelligent STPs.

And Walter is clearly an NTP and NOT an NTJ. His Ti is very ovious, also his Ne. The question which one he is is more difficult, but I tend more to ENTP. Having Si as a last function and not Fe is way more plausible for me. He cares about other people, but has difficulties with structure and the rules of society. What typehe was before he butchered his brain? We probaly never know, but he made remarks regarding Walternate that suggest he was way more like him before that than we would think. He kinda sad that he was more focused, but not in a good way. He was afraid of what he might become. Ironically I think that if he was an NTJ before the procedure he probaly was an INTJ. He seems more focused on Intuition than on Thinking.

Before i type Walternate and since i refer to her: Nina Sharp is an ENTJ. If you typed anything else then NTJ: stop typing. If you typed INTJ: Yeah although the internet thinks so not every brilliant and / or interesting person is INTJ. And older extroverts often don't look that extroverted. Judge by the funtions. Nina clearly favors Te over Ni. EXTJs are probaly the most "introverted" Es, especially compared to EXFXs.
Walternate is ENTJ. I somewhere read INTJ (also when it comes to Nina Sharp) but that is just a proof that the internet has a very weird bias when it comes to INTJ and doesn't understand that EXTX (especially the Te-Doms) are often not that extroverted when it comes to interacting with people. You have to judge by the functions and both Nina Sharp and Walternate clearly prefer Te over Ni. Nina is a good example for a healthy, kind of balanced ENTJ and Walternate is clearly an example for the good-guy-gone-wrong ENTJ archetype. Okay, not really "good guy" but you know what I mean. I am not defending Walternate but I understand the reasons that he had. And his inferior fi is quite obvious. He is traumatised that his son was taken from him and bad at dealing with him.

Olivia: Very hard. My gut feeling was INFJ but i really don't see a lot of Ni in her. Maybe ISFJ? Rember, studies showed that mbti isn't absolute. There are people which have one or more function in the other variant as their type should have them or the sequence is different. That kinda could be the case with Olivia and explain why she is hard to type. She seems to have Fi but IXFP is out of the question. While I would agree that she is F it is quite a close call. Remember, mbti doesn't mean how good you are but it show your preference. She is often quite logical, calm and tries to blend out her emotions. Not just in situations that require this. So yeah, going with an abnormal IXFJ of some sort.

I always considered Broyles an ESTJ, but maybe I am too focused on superficial things (the way he dresses seems very odd for an ISTJ. He seems to care about being well dressed, ISTJ care about being adequatly dressed.) The other Broyles seems ESTP or ENTJ, we don't know that much about him and whole you might say "lol those types are very different" they can look quite similar if the information you have are very limited. Both are often action oriented bold leaders and have the urge to geht things done. I kinda had the same conclusion for the other universe Lincoln Lee as for their Broyles. I don't have a lot to gon on but my feeling is that alternate Lee is ENTJ and Colonel Broyles is ESTP. My strongest argument why the other Lee isn't an EXTP is the way he interacts with people. A lot of EXTPs crave for validation from others although they often try to mask it. Don't see that in Lee at all. He is sarcastic in a way that I see a lot in INTJs so ENTJ seems just more likely then ESTP.

Our Lincoln? I don't have a fucking clue. He is all over the place. One thing is certain: He is introverted as fuck. So yeah, introverted types which interact quite a lot with the outer world (and no, an ISTJ educating people about the rules they broke or an ISTP doing his hobbies is not "interacting with the outer world" in the way that I mean it) like INTJ or ISFP are unlikely. He is probaly S although INFJ could be a possibility. He could be T, he could be F. This isn't clear at all although F seems to be more likely but - as an example - ISTP are Ti-Doms but can be quite feelish (they probaly can be quite everything since they are ISTP and not being limited by rules is kind of their thing). He seems more J but he could be a reliable P. In my epxeriens ISXP are more structured than INXP. Not i a very narrow sense of the word, but still. So long story short: I am going nowhere with this and say ISFJ since this is what i consider the most likely combination of the ltters. But since this isn't how mbti works and the functions are what counts I could be way off.

Alternative Astrid? Clearly Ti-Dom. A lot of people would probaly say INTP and while that is a good guess I am going with ISTP. We have to remember that she is somewhere in the autism spectum. And while people on the internet kind of think to believe that INTJs and people with Asperger share a lot of traits as a person who has Asperger and knows others who also do I say no. Way closer to INTP. INTJs aren't as rational as a lot of people think. They are visionaries. So while she might come across as an INTP I think this is because of her handicap. Hell when I have a phase i can come across as an INTP. And I am ENTJ. And she is very into probability. Which is way more Ni and Se as the other way round. Perhaps she is an ISTP with switched secondary and tertiary functions.

Fauxlivia? I don't know. She is also sending some mixed signals but that could be caused by the role she played in the plot. The most common typing for her seems to be ESTP and yeah I can see that. I think her "jish" vibe was because she was for some time the villian. But since in my opinion STPs are probaly the most gifted when it comes to pretend to be somebody else this makes sense.

William Bell: Although he gives off an Ti vibe I tjink this is due to the actors and the roles we know him for. (not saying that spock is an NTP but he has a Ti vibe). Bell is most likely INTJ. His endgame was very Ni-Dom. The way he wanted to reach it takes INFJ out of the picture. Probaly the only other reasonable argument (but still very unlikely) is ISTP due to his feelings towards modern society and humanity. But yeah, also he isn't the NTJ clichee it is quite clear.

Robert David Jones? ENTX is quite certain. So he is into tech and he manipulates people and he risks destroying the world so he is ENTP? No. I don't see him as an nihilist. Someone somewhere dubbed ENTJs as "visionary thugs". Yeah. That fits Jones and his weird intersection of crime, terrorism and science. He doesn't tinker. He doesn't want to prove society something. Remember the scene where he killed a shapeshifter just to prove what he is capable of? Yeah, ENTJ.

A lot of stuff and I know that probaly nobody cares but since I am a huge Fringe fan it has to be said.

Boelthorn

MBTI Type
ENTJ
And guys when it comes to Nina Sharp or Walternate or any other character you think has to be INTJ because they don't fit what you think being extroverted means: Please try to overcome the bias of the internet that every brilliant character is INTJ. ENTJ and INTJ aren't that different, how could they be but there are some clear misconceptions. I once heard somebody say "can't be ENTJ. Very rational and that is INTJ." No it isn't. Being rational is linked to Te not Ni. In fact Ni can be very irrational. A lot of INTJ have gut feelings and come to conclusion without knowing how (not saying they are bullshitting. They have inferior Se. I would assume they take a lot of the details in unconsciously and there "visions" are a result of a thought process that is hidden - even to them). ENTJ look at the facts. And this is just one case where an ENTJ attribute gets linked to INTJ. Remember how Fringe introduced us to Nina: She was anything but subtle or cautious. She was like "look at my fucking metal arm. This is what I owe to Bell."
And somehow INTJ think that when it comes to their inferior function they are an exception to the rule. Sure, there are probaly some INTJ with a healthy Se. Yeah. But not more or less than with any other type. I assume the disadvantages of inferior Se are more subtle than of other inferior functions like the explosive outbursts Te-Doms are known for thanks to inf. fi. But if a character seems to have a healthy, stable Se like Nina Sharp who was earlier in a lifer a very physical active person and is quite in tune with her enviroment INTJ is unlikely. (This is not an INTJ beashing. But people - often not even INTJs seem to overlook that while they have very specific abilities and advantages they also have - like every other fucking type - veryp specific faults and weaknesses. Inferior Se can often come across as "being out of touch" "having the head in the clouds". Elon Musk is a very good example. Or Mark Zuckerberg and his initiative to bring internet to the third world which was mocked by Bill Gates (not going into detail what Gates himself is. He frequently gets typed as every "rational" but INTJ. Although I think he is an ENTJ with some mild form of a mental illness that affects social interaction (like Asperger or schizotypical (not schizophrenia, not the same) personality disorder. Listen to what he said. What people said about how he ran the company. If you look closer than stereotypes he screams Te. But this is not exactly the point here). Just think about Mycroft Holmes from BBCs Sherlock. Loner as fuck but still extroverted. (ESTJ though, but it doesn't hurt my point). I kind of like how the show mocks the stereotype that the introverted visionary is more intelligent than the extroverted guy who cares about the rules.

rav3n

Walter is an ENTP in the present universe and an ENTJ in the alt universe. His ENTP persona is my fave character of the entire show but that's because it's John Noble, an underrated actor.
Olivia, can't tell if she's an ISTP or INFJ in long-term grip. Notice how close to shadow types these are?
Peter is an ISTP, maybe.
Nina's an ETJ of some variety.