• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Music Stereotypes

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Tool? No.

Math rock is probably that kind of rock which focuses more on the interesting ways a song can be structured mathematically (rare time-signatures, rare beat patterns, rare chord structures), reveling in the technicality while not being so concerned with aesthetics and how it "feels, emotionally." Sounds like a sub-set of prog rock to me.

Yeah. And Meshuggah for example, could be considered Math Metal kinda.

Sunny Ghost

MBTI Music Stereotypes

xSTJ: heavy metal, military music
xSFJ: classic rock, country music

xSTP: punk rock, garage rock, gangsta rap, ragga dancehall
xSFP: roots reggae, soul/funk, disco, R&B

ENFJ: new age music, Earth, Wind & Fire
INTP: boring music, nerdy music, math rock, Radiohead
ESFP: fantastic music, cool music, sensitive music, funny music, eccentric music, Kool & The Gang, ABBA, Blondie, Lady Gaga
ISTP: decadent music, obnoxious music, fun music, noisy music,drugged music, delirious music, dark music, Beastie Boys, Velvet Underground, Alice In Chains
ESTP: powerfull music, popstar music, rockkstar music, hedonistic music, maverick music, rebelious music, fantastic music, eccentric music commercial music, Madonna, Billy Idol, Gun'N Roses, AC/DC

Chart-The-Course: drummer, guitarist, bassist
In-Charge: lead singer, manager
Behind-the-Scene: drummer, songwriter, composer
Getting-Things-Going: singer, dancer

Actually, the CTC roles are the ones realte the least with.:doh:
disco?? :doh:

disco is NOT aesthetically pleasing to my ears.
i'm okay with roots reggae and i suppose soul funk. although, i'm not really sure what that genre is like... :huh:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
What is math rock? Rock about math? Is it about primes? Because if it's about primes (or possibly geometry), I might listen to it.

Math rock is unlistenable to most people. Here is some true math rock, Hella.

[YOUTUBE="fBCyhV9PkpY"]Hella - Biblical Violence[/YOUTUBE]

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTJ : Jazz, tour accountant
ISFJ : Singer-songwriter, soft rock
ENTJ : CEO, prog rock
INTJ : Classical, minimal techno, kraut rock
INTP : Experimental, Electronica/IDM, indie, prog rock
INFJ : Singer-songwriter, indie

The above applies.

I'm a prog rock, soft rock, pop/rock, 80s synth pop/ New Wave, singer-songwriter, electronica, classical, and jazz person. If it's got lots of keyboard, I'm happy.

Not quite stereotypical INFJ, LOL.

KDude

i'm okay with roots reggae and i suppose soul funk. although, i'm not really sure what that genre is like... :huh:

And all we get is.. dead disco, dead funk, dead rock n roll.. :whistling:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_4FZN4mGI8&feature=related].[/youtube]

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Math rock is unlistenable to most people. Here is some true math rock, Hella.

-youtube snipety snip-

At first I thought: "Hmpf." Then: "Interesting." Gradually, I started trying to anticipate beats. And then I started thinking about musical theory. So, yeah, not bad.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:sadbanana: Disco is one of my favorite genres of music, it's so lush with all the piano, guitar,bass and string sounds.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not sure type has much to do with music. I wouldn't listen to techno or kraut rock if you paid me.

KDude

:sadbanana: Disco is one of my favorite genres of music, it's so lush with all the piano, guitar,bass and string sounds.

What, like ELO? They're cool. Most disco is just trite though (imho).

Also, Blondie, if they count.. kinda punk disco though

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
MBTI Music Stereotypes

INTP: boring music, nerdy music, math rock, Radiohead

Boring music?:huh:

'But boring music isn't the same as other kinds of music.'-Molly Ringwald.
'Ahh, but to dorks like me, it is.'- Judd Nelson:headphne:

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What, like ELO? They're cool. Most disco is just trite though (imho).

Also, Blondie, if they count.. kinda punk disco though

Well I like the earlier disco sound of the mid 70s compared to the campy disco of the late 70s/early 80s. This sound is way closer to philly soul and wah wah funk that it is almost indistinguishable from it. It is slower in tempo and more influenced by classical music too, think Love's Theme ;).

I don't enjoy the super fast paced disco that is associated with the likes of the Village People :sick:.

Disco got old really fast and it was doomed when every other music artist tried to jump on the disco bandwagon. But disco is VERY influential and post-punk and new wave took alot of the basic disco structures(4 on the floor beat, funky basslines) and stripped the sound down. Disco also made synth music more acceptable and laided the foundation for synthpop/electropop(I Feel Love by Donna Summer).

I can see Jazz, classical, funk, soul, latin, calypso, rock, and synth music in the disco sound. I think peolpe disliked the disco fashion more than the actual music, really some of it IS indistinguishable from funk and soul but these genres get more respect than disco. There is also the sleazy lifestyle associated with the studio 54 era.
And yeah, I love ELO and Blondie too :wubbie:.

Sunny Ghost

And all we get is.. dead disco, dead funk, dead rock n roll.. :whistling:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_4FZN4mGI8&feature=related].[/youtube]

yeah, yeah! love that song! reeeemodel! everything has been done! la la la la la la la la la laaaa. :yes:

wolfy

awsm
I don't know about math rock, here is some math hip hop I like...

[YOUTUBE="ycJ5m5Mt9JE"]Mos Def Mathematics [/YOUTUBE]

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really think MBTI type has much to do with music preference, besides maybe how open you are to different music genres. I made this thread based on the stereotypes of the MBTI archetypes.

Some of the big five personality dimensions have been correlated with music preference though, like extroverts(according to the five factor model) generally prefer louder, busier music while introverts are said to generally prefer slower more relaxed music. Do any of you agree with these results from the five factor model correlating with your music preference, like if you are a introvert, do you prefer slower music?

I'm an introvert and while a like dance music(lower tempo disco/french house), my music preference does seem to be on the slower tempo side. I really can't stand really loud, fast tempo music for too long(like lots of punk). I guess this is because I like the music to build a relaxing, dreamy mood. Ambient techno/glitch, dub, classical, philly soul/smooth soul and lower tempo disco music seem to do this very well for me.

And I really LOVE Serge Gainsbourg too. :headphne:

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTJ : Manager, music executive
ISTJ : Jazz, tour accountant
ESFJ : Soft rock, christian rock, R&B
ISFJ : Singer-songwriter, soft rock
ESTP : Rockstar, gangster rapper, DJ
ISTP : Math rock, punk, jazz, metalhead
ESFP : Dance-pop, rockstar, raver, DJ
ISFP : Singer-songerwriter, folk, indie, hippie
ENTJ : CEO, prog rock
INTJ : Classical, minimal techno, kraut rock
ENTP : Experimental, drum n bass, prog rock
INTP : Experimental, Electronica/IDM, indie, prog rock
ENFJ : U2 style rock, arena rock, R&B, promoter
INFJ : Singer-songwriter, indie
ENFP : Disney pop, indie, psychedelic, raver
INFP : Emo rock, singer-songwriter, folk, indie, goth

I want to tell you something: this is stupid!
If you are a music lover, you are a music lover. It has nothing to do with MBTI.
I'm an ENFP and you know what? I do not like Disney pop. 'Indie'!? that is a fucking artificial genre, it doesn't mean anything, i even have problems understanding what you are talking about. Psychedelic - yes, to an extend...why? what do you mean? Raver? err....not particularly no
But then, other groups you mentioned:

Jazz - fuck yes! (and I'm not an ISTJ
Singer-songwriter - I guess. I mean, what is that as a category? that means nothing. you can have great singer songwriters and shit ones too.
Rock- yes! (and I'm not an ESTP, at all!)
Punk - yes! (and i'm not ISTP)
ISFP descriptions - all yes
Progressive rock - yes (and i'm not ENTJ)
minimal techno, kraut rock - yes! and i0m not INTJ
experimental - fuck yes! electronica - yes! indie - yes! prog rock - yes! .....am i an INTP? ABSOLUTELY NOT
singer-songwriter/indie -yes (still not an infj though!)
folk - yeah (but not an info!)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SJ: Classic music
SP: Pop music
NF: Idyllic music
NT: Progressive music

Chart-the-course: guitarist
In-Charge: lead singer, manager
Behind-the-scene: drummer, composer
Getting-things-going: dancer, singer

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some of the big five personality dimensions have been correlated with music preference though, like extroverts(according to the five factor model) generally prefer louder, busier music while introverts are said to generally prefer slower more relaxed music. Do any of you agree with these results from the five factor model correlating with your music preference, like if you are a introvert, do you prefer slower music?

I'm an introvert and while a like dance music(lower tempo disco/french house), my music preference does seem to be on the slower tempo side. I really can't stand really loud, fast tempo music for too long(like lots of punk). I guess this is because I like the music to build a relaxing, dreamy mood. Ambient techno/glitch, dub, classical, philly soul/smooth soul and lower tempo disco music seem to do this very well for me.

I really think there may be something to this part. I really like the loud very-fast tempo dance/rock music and get bored with the more relaxing music pretty fast. (But I don't like VERY LOUD music to the point where it is painful) And I figure now that this really is suggestive of being on the extraverted side of things but before I thought I just had weird taste in music ;)

And what throws me off still is that the INTPs are often associated with various electronic genres but a lot of that is super-high-energy-tempo-out-to-the-stratosphere stuff :laugh: Is there something I'm missing there?