• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I think Stewart's an ENTP, at least from what I've seen of him on his show. I hear that Colbert is a completely different guy than his show, and on his show, he seems ENTJish.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I think Stewart's an ENTP, at least from what I've seen of him on his show. I hear that Colbert is a completely different guy than his show, and on his show, he seems ENTJish.

Where do you get NT for Stewart?

I could see NT for Colbert, although I might lean I over E from what I've heard. I could see either P/J though - no opinion there.

G

Ginkgo

I think Colbert is XNFP. Whenever his Fi is violated (usually because of religious opposition), his character starts to shed off. However, because he usually just stares and the interviewee and doesn't put up much of I fight, I'm leaning toward INFP. Of course, his behavior could just be due to the fact that he has to keep interviews rolling.

His whole gig is so passive aggressive that it's genius. He's his own straw man, and this makes me think he's an NF.

On the other hand, I think Jon Stewart is an XNTP, most likely an INTP. His reasoning is very articulated, and I think he shows a constant use of Ti. And of course he uses Ne. The way he can manipulate the crowd makes me think he may be ENTP.

Am I the only one who gets the distinct vibe that he is manipulating the crowd to diffuse tense moments?

I feel dirty when I type someone as my own type. I hate to fall prey to the Forer effect.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
And of course he uses Ne.

I don't know if that's such an "of course" thing. He deals very much in "what is" rather than what "could be." He loves to take apart theorists (ever see him interview Bill Kristol or another neocon? He pokes holes in their arguments by introducing reality, not by offering a contrasting theory.) He's detective-like in his ability to ferret out facts and spot contradictions and hypocrisy. His humor comes from stating the obvious, not the absurd. Also, there's just too much of an awareness of his immediate surroundings to suggest Ne.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if that's such an "of course" thing. He deals very much in "what is" rather than what "could be." He loves to take apart theorists (ever see him interview Bill Kristol or another neocon? He pokes holes in their arguments by introducing reality, not by offering a contrasting theory.) He's detective-like in his ability to ferret out facts and spot contradictions and hypocrisy. His humor comes from stating the obvious, not the absurd. Also, there's just too much of an awareness of his immediate surroundings to suggest Ne.

so is he an N with S? or an S with Fe?

he doesnt seem ENTJ or ESFJ...so im lost

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Where do you get NT for Stewart?

I could see NT for Colbert, although I might lean I over E from what I've heard. I could see either P/J though - no opinion there.

Well, again that's just an overall impression. I've watched the show a little, and he has that NT sort of humor. Not 100% sure at all.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think this interview is the best evidence that Colbert is INFP: Stephen Colbert on Charlie Rose
The way Stephen speaks about what he does reminds me of my favorite stage actor, who is also very likely INFP.

Also, I adore Charlie Rose.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

I'd say more from stating the actual implications of what is being presented to him rather than taking the bullshit at face value. That's very Ne.

Stewart's at his best when he's deconstructing someone else's argument based on a throwaway comment they wish they had never uttered

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
It's hard to type someone who is usually reading a script or playing a character, but I think Stewart seems like an EXTJ and Colbert an INTP playing an ESTJ.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I'd say more from stating the actual implications of what is being presented to him rather than taking the bullshit at face value. That's very Ne.

Stewart's at his best when he's deconstructing someone else's argument based on a throwaway comment they wish they had never uttered

:rofl1:

I always thought Jon Stewart is ENTP. I think most of us agree on Ne as being his dominant. Compared to Bill Maher who is ... ENTP? INTJ? INTP?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, so I just watched the charlie rose with stephen colbert where he is FOR ONCE, NOT IN CHARACTER!

Observations:
--> He is a "thoughtful" communicator who thinks through his answers. I think some people mistook this for him being an introvert. I think an extroverted NF or NT could be capable the same way.
--> He seems to be far more concerned with passion, affecting the feelings of others and "performing", than he does with "deconstructive irony". He is motive over structure and collectivist over utilitarian. He is an NF.
--> Although he states that he got his comedic "start" in improvisation, he still strikes me as more Fe than Fi. His desire to take on a world view in order to affect others strikes me as a Ni-Fe perspective. Its not about exploring every possibility, but complete transformation into a different paradigm, for the sake of humorously affecting his audience.
--> His pace, phrasing, and mannerisms are identical to my INFJ uncle (bad example of evidence I know :D)
INFJ

Additionally
--he is a "Classically trained" actor who actually wanted "to be hamlet, rather than simply portray or understand hamlet".
--he focused on "Serious" acting for a long time until he "gave in" to his comedic talents
--he is the first in his family to say "colberrrr" rather than colbert, because as he says, he inherited the pretentious gene haha

Jon Stewart
--Colbert described John as deconstructing the news and pointing out ironies (vs Colbert's strategy)
--Colbert described John as having a comedic mask of sorts (not as loud and outgoing in real life)
--Colbert joked that his wife knew john before (she was an actor) and she described him as quiet and not funny...yet.
--Colbert said that despite what people say, John is very charitable in trying to figure out what people actually wanted
to say (conservative or liberal).
XNTP John seems to be XNTP in MBTI terms, but in Big 5 terms he would be agreeable over egocentric, and therefore comes off as "softer" and "nicer" than a typical "T". I think he is ambiverted

Last edited:

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Colbert is an ENFJ in character, INFJ not.

Jon is ENTP with extremely well-developed Fe...and his character isn't as drastically different from his own personality as Colbert's is.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Colbert is often playing an obviously biased traditionalist who is paranoid and scared of the world around him. He plays an absurd and defensive ESTJ with tert Ne on roids. If Colbert is an introvert in real life, he must have developed a way to keep expending energy in rapid-fire succession that is not too taxing, or maybe he's not a strong introvert to begin with.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Colbert is often playing an obviously biased traditionalist who is paranoid and scared of the world around him. He plays an absurd and defensive ESTJ with tert Ne on roids. If Colbert is an introvert in real life, he must have developed a way to keep expending energy in rapid-fire succession that is not too taxing, or maybe he's not a strong introvert to begin with.

Having an introverted dominant function doesn't mean you have to have little energy.

Also, would an Fe dominant be so comfortable with judging people and even making fun of them as he's talking to them? I know he does that in character, but I'm not sure they'd like it anyway. But please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think trying to convince people of your views is a particularly Fe trait either. Any idealistic or even semi-idealistic or cynical person will have some desire to promote their views. I still think he is an INXP.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
When I said Fe dominant, I meant "With high Fe". I know INFJs are Ni dominant, it was a mistake.

duck!

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I guess I'm very late to the game, but I thought I'd respond to this.

Again -- I hate giving people my own type -- but I really think Jon Stewart is an NF and not an NT. And since I agree with the dominant Ne, I'd give him an ENFP.

I agree that his quick wit and often operatic takedowns of others might lead others to put him in the NT camp. He's lively, fun, at times cutting and acerbic. But I think that is because of the satiric nature of his show, and because his Ne is out to have a good time. But when you look beneath that, I think, it's a different story.

Jon Stewart likes to crusade. When there's a topic that deeply affects him, he takes charge of the tone. That tone is usually very personal. The Rally for Sanity is evidence of it, I think -- his finally deciding to use his show as a platform to represent something -- and the subsequent interview he held with Rachel Maddow (a fellow ENFP) was an interesting exercise in auxiliary Fi bonding. ("I think --", "No, I feel --". "I take this personally because...") What was most interesting was his distress that others had misinterpreted what he had felt about his event. He was sad that others had appropriated feelings for him and did not understand the core of emotion behind the decision he made.

When Jon speaks about something he cares about, suddenly his tone becomes pure, almost naive and childish at times. And though it is something he would like /not/ to have to say, but he is compelled to because of an overwhelming need to say what he feels is right. The latest episodes about the 9/11 responders is real evidence of this. Gone were his general silly and high-energy rants. He was deadly serious. He saw the media's ignorance of the plight of dying 9/11 responders unable to afford their health care as the worst kind of negligence. He invited 9/11 responders onto his show so that he could give them a voice.

This is not to say that there is no such thing as the ENTP crusade. But the ENTP crusade gets ignited when others defend faulty, irresponsible logic. (Ti at work.) Stewart might feel upset or even get enjoyment from pointing out the existence of faulty intellectual logic, but he draws the line at what he sees as an unjustifiable harm to people.

I agree that anyone who thinks Stewart is an NT should see him stacked up against another NT. It's obvious that the quick, caustic wit is something that Stewart has gained with practice, and to serve the larger purpose of his comedy. And that purpose is to bring enjoyment and awareness to other people in whatever way he can.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jon Stewart: ENTP 7w8 So/Sp.
Stephen Colbert: ENTP 6w5 So/Sp.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:rofl1:

I always thought Jon Stewart is ENTP. I think most of us agree on Ne as being his dominant. Compared to Bill Maher who is ... ENTP? INTJ? INTP?

Maher's more clearly extroverted to me than Stewart is (I'd guess ENTJ). Maher is like what he's like on and off his show. Stewart acts a bit differently off-camera, more subdued. I'd believe Stewart (or Colbert) as an introvert before Maher (though that doesn't necessarily mean either one is).

PS Anyone whose only exposure to Colbert is stuff he's done in the character(s) he played on the Colbert Report and Daily Show probably shouldn't even be trying to type the guy til they watch at least a couple out-of-character interviews.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Colbert: Classic ENTP. I think he's more 7w8 SP/SX. He's very playful and challenging.

Stewart: ENTP. Not sure enneatype