• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The current Dalai Lama

ygolo

My termites win
What do you guys think the current Dalai Lama's type is?

The Website of The Office of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

Keep in mind his philosophy is going to be Buddhist (or at least based on it).

That doesn't indicate the type, however.

I think when you see his mannerisms and the way he responds in interviews, you may get a clearer understanding of his personality.

BBC - BBC Four - Audio Interviews - Dalai Lama

YouTube - Dalai Lama Part I

YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 1/4

YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 2/4

YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 3/4

YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 4/4

In addition, keep in mind english is not his first language.

Teee

MBTI Type
INTJ
INFP
I - Definitely does not need to get energy from outside of himself.
N - Senses are not reliable source of information.
F - Big time compassion.
P - Flexibility, ability to go with the flow of life.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
apart from what he talks about, he really likes to tinker with things. takes apart watches and sees how they work. he also studies in quantum mechanics and modern psychology.

He strikes me as a rational mind more than anything.

Fecal McAngry

What do you guys think the current Dalai Lama's type is?

The Website of The Office of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

Keep in mind his philosophy is going to be Buddhist (or at least based on it).

That doesn't indicate the type, however.

I think when you see his mannerisms and the way he responds in interviews, you may get a clearer understanding of his personality.

BBC - BBC Four - Audio Interviews - Dalai Lama

YouTube - Dalai Lama Part I

YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 1/4

YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 2/4

YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 3/4

YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 4/4

In addition, keep in mind english is not his first language.
Some of those links have been removed, based on YouTube - Dalai Lama - Exclusive Interview 1 (ONE) on april 8th he appears to me to be an INTJ.

But that's a preliminary take, not a definitive diagnosis...

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dalai Lama is on CNN's Larry King right now. Rerun at 12 midnight.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
not trusting the senses is more of a Ni thing. Actually, reading any sort of Buddhist crap puts me in a more transcendental and Ni-ish state

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Type big fat greedy manipulative tyrant and fraud.

There are also many less famous monks with far more insightful things to say than this guy, his advice is trite and predictable by comparison. Don't waste your time or money before you've done some real research.

We'll probably never know his type because his entire public image is designed to distract Westerners from how much of a dick he is.

Last edited:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Type big fat greedy manipulative tryant and fraud.

There are also many less famous monks with far more insightful things to say than this guy, his advice is trite and predictable by comparison. Don't waste your time or money before you've done some real research.

We'll probably never know his type because his entire public image is designed to distract Westerners from how much of a dick he is.

You should expand on this a little bit. Most Westerners think the Dalai Lama is a wholly compassionate entity, with little regard for materialistic pursuits (like furthering personal reputation, financial interests, etc.).

Might make for an interesting discussion.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Type big fat greedy manipulative tryant and fraud.

Tyrant and fraud? Is that why he won the Nobel prize?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Is that an appeal to authority?

It was more a request for evidence, but historically, the Nobel prize is not given to tyrants and frauds. It's not proof that the Dalai Lama is a noble (ha.) person, but it's an indication that, at the very least, creates a presumption of legitimacy.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It was more a request for evidence, but historically, the Nobel prize is not given to tyrants and frauds. It's not proof that the Dalai Lama is a noble (ha.) person, but it's an indication that, at the very least, creates a presumption of legitimacy.
It's not officially intended to be, but that's not the same thing.

I don't know the inner workings of the selection process so I can't answer why he won, could only speculate. As I can only speculate about why Obama was given one. It wouldn't be the only time the choice has been questionable.

A good starting point from which to look into the issues would be this article. It mentions most of the more serious criticisms.

An important thing to remember when you read about the old regime of Tibet is that although he was probably too young when in Tibet to be truly in charge, since he's left he's remained tacitly in support of it by sticking with the story about being a reincarnation of all the previous Dalai Lamas and failing to mention and denounce their abuses. Surely his message to the Tibetans should be an apology for what they suffered under the priest class he was poster boy for and promise of reform should he be returned to power, not this idea of returning to an imaginary golden age in Tibetan history.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'd personally say that he is an ISFP- he seems very well attuned with nature.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
His Holiness the Dalai Lama ISTP

I just finished watching a documentary on the 14th Dalai Lama. Although I'd read a book he'd written, and am quasi familiar in pop culture context. I found it interesting to observe several elements of his personality which seemed indicative of an ISTP.

1. After his selection as a child, and while riding to the palace in a caravan of monks. He fought with his brother the entire way, nearly tipping the hand carried platform.
2. The Dalai Lama has an obsession with sitting and taking mechanical and electronic items apart, so that he can see and figure out how they work.
3. The man is well read and explores a variety of topics, often choosing science over religion when considering certain questions.
4. His Holiness has a great disdain for public gatherings and participating in ceremonies, but does so in recognition of the importance to the larger community.
5. The Dalai Lama is very quick witted, and spontaneous in his humor.
6. He has no patience for individuals who request meetings with ulterior or insincere motives, and will often end an audience quickly.

lastrailway

I don't know anything about Dalai Lama, but wouldn't the whole spirituality thing be a bit anti-ISTP?

lastrailway

Cause, I think, ISTPs would tend to be more pragmatic and realistic (I've noticed the ISTPs I've known are highly suspicious on anything spiritual). Ti would make them question a lot any metaphysical concept - or so I think.

Though maybe I'm totally off with this, since I don't really know what sort of spirituality harbours Dalai Lama.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Cause, I think, ISTPs would tend to be more pragmatic and realistic (I've noticed the ISTPs I've known are highly suspicious on anything spiritual). Ti would make them question a lot any metaphysical concept - or so I think.

Though maybe I'm totally off with this, since I don't really know what sort of spirituality harbours Dalai Lama.

My ISTP husband is suspicious of religion and its insitutions not spirituality.