• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The current Dalai Lama

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
ISTP? I can see that.

I think ISTP is the ideal zen type. Introspective, in the here and now, free from desire, open.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTP? I can see that.

I think ISTP is the ideal zen type. Introspective, in the here and now, free from desire, open.
The Dalai Lama isn't from the Zen school, he's from the Tibetan school, and he's only masquerading behind it anyway.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well, being *the* Dalai Lama is kind of supporting an institution, I would think.

I see no issues with him being an ISTP and a religious leader since it was ingrained into him as a child, it's part of his culture.

See point #4 of the OP. He doesn't really care for the religious 'trappings' personally but he is considered a spiritual person.

KarliJoanne

MBTI Type
ISFP
It's silly to think a person cannot be T and also religious, I know a lot of them. Including an ISTP.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like reading the post that question ISTP and religion? For myself and other ISTP's I've known, I agree they've not been religious people.

Growing up in a small town christian family and community, I found myself questioning the concepts from an early age. My continued participation during the teen years had much more to do with socializing and participating in activities with others my age vs. anything.

Most of the ISTP's I've known held a personal spirituality and often took a World Religions class in college. Which they enjoyed very much. Zen and Buddhist concepts, along with Taoism were the aspects found most attractive. I enjoyed the tribal religious studies too in their connection to the natural environment and cycle of life.

The Dalai Lama is the MOST tolerant and supportive world religious leader, viewing all religious traditions as valid and moving toward a similar goal. I personally don't consider Buddhism to be much of a religion at all. Which might be why I enjoy exploring the material without caring or getting into oh, this type of Buddhism is different from that, etc.

Watching the Dalai Lama take apart a mechanical item was the big *ding ding* Man sitting there intently focused to the point the whole world may as well have disappeared. Perhaps he uses the opportunity to practice being "present in the moment." :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This makes sense! I also think that Buddha is an ISTP.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll buy that, as weird as I feel agreeing that the Dalai Lama is the same type as me. Lol. He's definitely at least an IXXP, and the mechanical thing you mentioned does seem to imply Ti.

It's also kinda funny thinking that the Dalai Lama could be the same type as, say... Wolverine.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm pretty certain that Dalai Lama is indeed a supermutant that will kick some Chinese army ass when the time is right.
Edit: I realized that I was being vague. What I mean with "when the time is right" is that ISTPs always seem to have such a perfect timing in doing things.
Like. He could probably time things right so that he'll kick the collective ass of the entire army before anyone realizes he's not just saying confusing stuff like he usually does.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Dalai Lama is the MOST tolerant and supportive world religious leader, viewing all religious traditions as valid and moving toward a similar goal.
All traditions except a form of Tibetan Buddhism he used to practise himself called Dorje Shugden, which he now calls 'evil' and... but it doesn't look like I'm getting anywhere with this.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All traditions except a form of Tibetan Buddhism he used to practise himself called Dorje Shugden, which he now calls 'evil' and... but it doesn't look like I'm getting anywhere with this.

Where is there to go? :happy:

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4

Well, what if it is evil?

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, what if it is evil?
That's a pretty big 'if'. Regardless, I never said I think that all religious traditions are 'valid' myself - I have little time for most religion so wouldn't care if that were his honest opinion - I just said the DL clearly doesn't either, despite what he on some occasions to some audiences likes to say.

It's his treatment of the sect's followers, especially considering he used to be one, and their innocent families that I recommend people research. We're usually fed a very selective biography of this man and of Tibet.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That's a pretty big 'if'. Regardless, I never said I think that all religious traditions are 'valid' myself - I have little time for most religion so wouldn't care if that were his honest opinion - I just said the DL clearly doesn't either, despite what he on some occasions to some audiences likes to say.

It's his treatment of the sect's followers, especially considering he used to be one, and their innocent families that I recommend people research. We're usually fed a very selective biography of this man and of Tibet.

It is your POV, so why not provide some links? In fact why don't you start your own thread on the issue.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is your POV, so why not provide some links? In fact why don't you start your own thread on the issue.
For what I imagine is the same reason no one else in the thread has done, even in the process of typing the man - that I've no patience to go back and find and link to a bunch of things I've read or watched before. It's far too much unnecessary work when everyone (except any Chinese members perhaps) has access to the same Internet.

However, for anyone who would like a link to get them started, I did leave one earlier in the thread to an article that mentioned the most controversial issues in just enough detail to make them easy to research further (which they already are, really).