• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Johnny from 'Naked:' Discuss (WARNING: CLIPS HERE CONTAIN LOTS OF VERY BAD LANGUAGE)

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
'Naked' is IMHO an extremely good film, which at some points seems like a one man show for David Thewlis' character Johnny....Since this film is considered fairly 'indie' and I'd like to be inclusive, I nicked some clips from youtube so that those who wish to can relate whether they've seen it or not. The types I've been mulling over for him are ENFP, ENTP, INFP, INTP (He talks A LOT, but his inner world seems very rich, he's quite good at forming a coherant logical argument, but he also seems to be a man with a deep humanitarian cause.) I reckon he's a P cos he's a restless drifter. Thoughts? ENTP seems probable but I dunno.

Here are the clips:
YouTube - Favourite scenes from 'Naked'
YouTube - Naked (Mike Leigh) - evolution

HP FANS: Forgive DT the fairly ironic and wholely accidental references :unsure:

Tom

MBTI Type
Jipe
Enneagram
Memb
Loved this film. After a lot of indicision I'd say a big crazy ENFP. Definately a tough one to type though, for me at least.

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Loved this film. After a lot of indicision I'd say a big crazy ENFP. Definately a tough one to type though, for me at least.

Hi Tom, I'm really glad to have found a forum member to discuss this film with :)...On Johnny,ENFP....hmmm well an eccentricly intellegent ENTP character might look like Doc Brown or Jack Sparrow, but there's something a little different about Johnny...
He certainly CAN talk, and immediately latching on to Brian, Archie and the woman in the window takes a kind of social confidence that an introvert generally wouldn't have, however I wonder, there seems to be a hell of a lot going on in his head, he might plausably get energy from his own thoughts/world. There is no doubt in my mind that he is an 'N' ideas kinda guy, and his Ne especially is very pronounced, David Thewlis must have at least 100 questions in the film, and they come out like bullets from a submachine gun :cheese:.
T/F troubles me a little, because uses a lot of logic, even though his argument jumps around a lot, and he isn't too fussed about saying/doing hurtful things in order to prove his point, however he is extremely passionate, he's a rapist (both rapes began consentually, not like Sebastian/Jeremy) with morals, and he's people-orientated at the same time.
I'm not even gonna argue for P, it seems blatent.

I do think you might be right here but he's just so difficult that perhaps he's borderline two types.
Oh and would you class 'Jeremy' as INTJ or something else?

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Very good movie. Mike Leigh is a great director.
But I don't remember it well, the last time I saw it was 10 years ago...

Tom Condon types Johnny as an enneagram 8 (probably 8w7 disintegrated to 5) and I think he could be only ENTP or ENTJ.
bye.

Tom

MBTI Type
Jipe
Enneagram
Memb

Before he left the girls’ flat he seemed like a very pronounced E; frantically questioning, and ranting over any silences (I was thinking ENT at this point). After though, he seemed more contemplative, but that could’ve just been a side effect of wandering through a city where he knows no one. And when he did meet people, Brian for example, he was just as breathlessly instigative. Another thing that makes me unsure is how prepared he seemed. It felt to me as though he had a depth in which his views had formed, and that his reckless delivery was more a product of desperation. That he was preaching, purposefully.

Which is why I wouldn’t rule out J. In his conversation with Brian I could easily see him as an INFJ who’s lost all perspective. He spends maybe an hour or so touting his transhumanist manifesto in an attempt to free Brian from what he sees as a needlessly self-limited existence. I don’t know that much about MBTI but that feels like Fe/Ti in action.

I think he’s an F too, because like you said, he seems very people-oriented. Almost all of the film is him traipsing through other people’s lives, forming and dissolving quite emotionally complex relationships. And he’s charismatic too, obviously, but it strikes me as an F kind of charisma. Contrasted with INTJ charisma for example, which can seem quite tactical and learned (no offence INTJs), Johnny’s seems natural, and sincere. Also he’s got that self-aware vulnerability that I’ve seen in many Nfs but never in an Nt.

I think that if he is an F, it’s camouflaged quite well by how theoretical and philosophical he can be; sometimes appearing pretty NTPish (I think he’s just clever though… And a firm N). And by how callous he is (but even at his most callous he never seems detached, in the way that Ts often can). Oh yeah, and by how he rapes people (erroneously perhaps, as I'd actually imagine that an F would be more inclined, but less likely, to carry it out).

Even in that area though, he’s relatively easy to stomach. Compare him to Jeremy/Sebastian. When Jeremy/Sebastian commits rape, he’s brutal and sadistic. He seems like a conventional rapist; seeking gratification and power over his victims, indifferent at best to their distress. He’s entirely unsympathetic. For Johnny though it feels more like an emotional exploration of his victim and situation. And the acts themselves are far less intrusive. They’re sadistic of course, but almost playfully, and with restraint, placing him somewhere between pervert and brute. In a way, this steals the deniability we crave, of branding people perverts and sadists and moving on, never pausing to reflect on our own potential depravity. That’s just another reason why the film and character are so interesting; it’s a shame it’s as obscure as it is.

Still his overall type’s hard to pin down. I see more Fe than Fi, but more Ne than Ni. I’ll guess INFJ, although as I write it, I kinda know it’s an odd choice… (but it's been a few years since I saw it, and I’m far from knowledgeable about MBTI) Could you see him as an INFJ?

As a side note: Clearly not all his toilets flush, and that could cloud an attempt at typing him.

As for Jeremy/Sebastian, I probably agree with you: INTJ. Although he does seem a little impulsive and pleasure-seeky.

And for the others I’d guess:

Louise: ISFJ
Sophie: ESFP
Sandra: ESTJ
Brian: INTP (maybe)
Archie: ESTP
Maggie: _S_P
Window girl: I_FP
Jeremy’s masseuse: ESTP (possibly)
Jeremy’s Waitress: ISFJ (again, unsure)

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks again Tom for your insights :)
I think you definitely have most of their types nailed :) It might be benificial for us to ask some MBTI experts on here to have a gander at the clips, because both of us admit that we are perhaps not the most adept people to type people:

Possible types for Johnny from previous posts:

INFJ
INFJs are distinguished by both their complexity of character and the unusual range and depth of their talents. Strongly humanitarian in outlook, INFJs tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally "doers" as well as dreamers. This rare combination of vision and practicality often results in INFJs taking a disproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes to which so many of them seem to be drawn.

INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world. On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates." While instinctively courting the personal and organizational demands continually made upon them by others, at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. This apparent paradox is a necessary escape valve for them, providing both time to rebuild their depleted resources and a filter to prevent the emotional overload to which they are so susceptible as inherent "givers." As a pattern of behavior, it is perhaps the most confusing aspect of the enigmatic INFJ character to outsiders, and hence the most often misunderstood -- particularly by those who have little experience with this rare type.

Due in part to the unique perspective produced by this alternation between detachment and involvement in the lives of the people around them, INFJs may well have the clearest insights of all the types into the motivations of others, for good and for evil. The most important contributing factor to this uncanny gift, however, are the empathic abilities often found in Fs, which seem to be especially heightened in the INFJ type (possibly by the dominance of the introverted N function).

This empathy can serve as a classic example of the two-edged nature of certain INFJ talents, as it can be strong enough to cause discomfort or pain in negative or stressful situations. More explicit inner conflicts are also not uncommon in INFJs; it is possible to speculate that the causes for some of these may lie in the specific combinations of preferences which define this complex type. For instance, there can sometimes be a "tug-of-war" between NF vision and idealism and the J practicality that urges compromise for the sake of achieving the highest priority goals. And the I and J combination, while perhaps enhancing self-awareness, may make it difficult for INFJs to articulate their deepest and most convoluted feelings.

Usually self-expression comes more easily to INFJs on paper, as they tend to have strong writing skills. Since in addition they often possess a strong personal charisma, INFJs are generally well-suited to the "inspirational" professions such as teaching (especially in higher education) and religious leadership. Psychology and counseling are other obvious choices, but overall, INFJs can be exceptionally difficult to pigeonhole by their career paths. Perhaps the best example of this occurs in the technical fields. Many INFJs perceive themselves at a disadvantage when dealing with the mystique and formality of "hard logic", and in academic terms this may cause a tendency to gravitate towards the liberal arts rather than the sciences. However, the significant minority of INFJs who do pursue studies and careers in the latter areas tend to be as successful as their T counterparts, as it is *iNtuition* -- the dominant function for the INFJ type -- which governs the ability to understand abstract theory and implement it creatively.

In their own way, INFJs are just as much "systems builders" as are INTJs; the difference lies in that most INFJ "systems" are founded on human beings and human values, rather than information and technology. Their systems may for these reasons be conceptually "blurrier" than analogous NT ones, harder to measure in strict numerical terms, and easier to take for granted -- yet it is these same underlying reasons which make the resulting contributions to society so vital and profound.

ENFP
General: ENFPs are both "idea"-people and "people"-people, who see everyone and everything as part of an often bizarre cosmic whole. They want to both help (at least, their own definition of "help") and be liked and admired by other people, on bo th an individual and a humanitarian level. They are interested in new ideas on principle, but ultimately discard most of them for one reason or another.

Social/Personal Relationships: ENFPs have a great deal of zany charm, which can ingratiate them to the more stodgy types in spite of their unconventionality. They are outgoing, fun, and genuinely like people. As SOs/mates they are warm, affectionate (lots of PDA), and disconcertingly spontaneous. However, attention span in relationships can be short; ENFPs are easily intrigued and distracted by new friends and acquaintances, forgetting about the older ones for long stretches at a time. Less mature ENFPs may need to feel they are the center of attention all the time, to reassure them that everyone thinks they're a wonderful and fascinating person.

ENFPs often have strong, if unconvential, convictions on various issues related to their Cosmic View. They usually try to use their social skills and contacts to persuade people gently of the rightness of these views; his sometimes results in their negle cting their nearest and dearest while flitting around trying to save the world.
Work Environment: ENFPs are pleasant, easygoing, and usually fun to work with. They come up with great ideas, and are a major asset in brainstorming sessions. Followthrough tends to be a problem, however; they tend to get bored quickly, especially if a newer, more interesting project comes along. They also tend to be procrastinators, both about meeting hard deadlines and about performing any small, uninteresting tasks that they've been assigned. ENFPs are at their most useful when working in a group with a J or two to take up the slack.

ENFPs hate bureaucracy, both in principle and in practice; they will always make a point of launching one of their crusades against some aspect of it.

ENTP

Clever" is the word that perhaps describes ENTPs best. The professor who juggles half a dozen ideas for research papers and grant proposals in his mind while giving a highly entertaining lecture on an abstruse subject is a classic example of the type. So is the stand-up comedian whose lampoons are not only funny, but incisively accurate.
ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport. ENTPs are as innovative and ingenious at problem-solving as they are at verbal gymnastics; on occasion, however, they manage to outsmart themselves. This can take the form of getting found out at "sharp practice"--ENTPs have been known to cut corners without regard to the rules if it's expedient -- or simply in the collapse of an over-ambitious juggling act. Both at work and at home, ENTPs are very fond of "toys"--physical or intellectual, the more sophisticated the better. They tend to tire of these quickly, however, and move on to new ones.

ENTPs are basically optimists, but in spite of this (perhaps because of it?), they tend to become extremely petulant about small setbacks and inconveniences. (Major setbacks they tend to regard as challenges, and tackle with determin- ation.) ENTPs have little patience with those they consider wrongheaded or unintelligent, and show little restraint in demonstrating this. However, they do tend to be extremely genial, if not charming, when not being harassed by life in general.

In terms of their relationships with others, ENTPs are capable of bonding very closely and, initially, suddenly, with their loved ones. Some appear to be deceptively offhand with their nearest and dearest; others are so demonstrative that they succeed in shocking co-workers who've only seen their professional side. ENTPs are also good at acquiring friends who are as clever and entertaining as they are. Aside from those two areas, ENTPs tend to be oblivious of the rest of humanity, except as an audience -- good, bad, or potential.

ENTJ
ENTJs have a natural tendency to marshall and direct. This may be expressed with the charm and finesse of a world leader or with the insensitivity of a cult leader. The ENTJ requires little encouragement to make a plan. One ENTJ put it this way... "I make these little plans that really don't have any importance to anyone else, and then feel compelled to carry them out." While "compelled" may not describe ENTJs as a group, nevertheless the bent to plan creatively and to make those plans reality is a common theme for NJ types.

ENTJs are often "larger than life" in describing their projects or proposals. This ability may be expressed as salesmanship, story-telling facility or stand-up comedy. In combination with the natural propensity for filibuster, our hero can make it very difficult for the customer to decline.

TRADEMARK: -- "I'm really sorry you have to die." (I realize this is an overstatement. However, most Fs and other gentle souls usually chuckle knowingly at this description.)

ENTJs are decisive. They see what needs to be done, and frequently assign roles to their fellows. Few other types can equal their ability to remain resolute in conflict, sending the valiant (and often leading the charge) into the mouth of hell. When challenged, the ENTJ may by reflex become argumentative. Alternatively (s)he may unleash an icy gaze that serves notice: the ENTJ is not one to be trifled with.

If I need to add more I will :) Thoughts? ENTP seems quite a nice fit

Nigel

MBTI Type
ENTP
Watched this film numerous times. Johnny is such a classic ENTP, I would bet my house on it.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
It is subtly hinted throughout the movie that Johnny's unusual personality and behaviour could be the result of a variety of (presumably undiagnosed and untreated) medical conditions, including manic depression and whatever it is that causes him to experience episodic, severe headaches. In the scene in the top room of the flat, where an obviously concussed Johnny mistakes the landlord for someone else, Johnny seems to portray a young boy fearful of physical and maybe even sexual abuse from an adult, hinting also at a probable very early cause for his outlook and behaviour. These conditions are certainly affecting him physically, so much so that one of the characters he meets thinks he is about 40 years old, when he is only 27.

Naked Movie (2002) - IMDb

Never heard of a "classic ENTP" but okay.

Nigel

MBTI Type
ENTP
I only recall one incident of him having a headache - when he arrives in London, after a all night drive down from Manchester, where he had been drinking. It's only natural for him to have a sore head.
As regards other pointers towards mental illnesses; I don't see them. Clearly, he has had an unstable upbringing, which would account for him slipping through the net of society, despite being highly intelligent. He is frustrated and angry.

Classic ENTPism that Johnny displays: Thirst for knowledge, unkempt appearance, directness to the point of being abrupt, vocally outspoken, enjoys getting a rise out of people......loads more.

I am not saying all ENTPs display these types of behaviours but when you look at Johnny and observe other ENTPs, one has to agree that he has a manner similar to Bugs Bunny or Groucho Marx (classic ENTPs characters).