• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I Love Lucy

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I think so too. But Lucy on the show was an ENFP.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
well... if you met me in real life you'd have very few arguments as to her type :devil:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm watching this for no real reason right now.

The 4 main actors (as I don't find any characters/scripts all that convincing):

Lucy - entp
Ricky - esfj
Lucy's friend - entp
friend's husband - estj

Which makes sense.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lucy - ESTP
Ricky - ESFJ seems right
Ethel Mertz - ESTJ
Fred Mertz - ISTJ

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm watching this for no real reason right now.

The 4 main actors (as I don't find any characters/scripts all that convincing):

Lucy - entp
Ricky - esfj
Lucy's friend - entp
friend's husband - estj

Which makes sense.

The friends are Ethel and Fred Mertz.

I think Lucy Ricardo was ENFx. ...it's interesting how the character of Lucy was altered to fit society's expectations of females in that era when Lucille Ball was completely in control of the show/creative. I could see her as an ESTP. A lot of times I disagree with the typings on most websites but I agree with that one. Wait. Eh, ESXP. ...she shined in every single movie she was in- even if she was with heavyweights like the Marx Bros or Red Skelton.

Maybe I don't pay attention to Ricky too much [/Ricky's accent] but I kinda feel he's an ESFP. :shrug:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Lucy was an N? Wouldn't you expect to see more...mmm...intuition? I mean ya, she came up with schemes, but scheming is also the trademark of the ESTP. Also, there was no word play and she didn't seem as lonely as all the ENTPs ever.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
Lucy was an N? Wouldn't you expect to see more...mmm...intuition? I mean ya, she came up with schemes, but scheming is also the trademark of the ESTP. Also, there was no word play and she didn't seem as lonely as all the ENTPs ever.

That's true (her schemes seemed like more constant acting out to get Ricky to pay attention to her sometimes and let her into his world). Well, Madame DuBarry was an N, at least. :alttongue:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Lucy - ESTP
Ricky - ESFJ seems right
Ethel Mertz - ESTJ
Fred Mertz - ISTJ

The characters' types? No way is the older bald man not Te-dom, the way everytime he opened his whale's mouth OUT came the niagra, in terms of blowing eardrums out. I'm aware that the consensus for Ball's type is estp and am no expert on her so won't try to refute the idea in depth, but Vance (especially in these interviews) displays a rapid ability to speak. She just really won't sit still in her mind, and returning to the show, from the fragments of scenes still remaining upstairs of her with Ball, their exchanges were much in the same, i.e. an ending wasn't a requisite. I mean, I often notice the two types mingling, working together. The estj and the esfj, however, are two puzzle pieces that wouldn't fit all that well with an estp, so even with one possible teacher/student relation, there'd be a screwy quasi-identical-- which in my experience make for ok working conditions, but they did the show together for 6 years, which is...maybe not terribly long time after all, eh? But still. If Ball were entp, she'd be in activity w/Ricky, identical with Vance, and would help the estj not be a big ape. Just throwing ideas around. Maybe she was the more successful precursor to Kathy Griffin. Let's take a closer look at the humor.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
But Vivian Vance =/= Ethel Mertz. There should be character type and actor type.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't find this show's characters very convincing.

What does that have to do with anything? It was a 1950s sitcom. They're still working with a script and playing characters on a show. In real life Ethel and Fred didn't like each other and Desi and Lucy had a far from perfect marriage.

Lucy Ricardo and Lucy Ball-Arnaz are different people. I'm just asking you to clarify when you talk about the relationships they had in character on screen vs speculation about what happened off screen.

Lucy, in her career, wasn't always doing the same kind of comedy she was doing by the 50s (there was a cultural shift; Americans preferred slapstick almost exclusively to the witty repetitions of the previous era). Word play was a much bigger part of the roles she got during the madlibs early 40s, late 30s. And she could do it just as well.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The characters' types?

Yes, the characters....I got the impression we were typing the show. I really don't know about the actors themselves. Vance is likely not ESTJ, but I think Ethel is.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What does that have to do with anything? It was a 1950s sitcom. They're still working with a script and playing characters on a show. In real life Ethel and Fred didn't like each other and Desi and Lucy had a far from perfect marriage.

Lucy Ricardo and Lucy Ball-Arnaz are different people. I'm just asking you to clarify when you talk about the relationships they had in character on screen vs speculation about what happened off screen.

Lucy, in her career, wasn't always doing the same kind of comedy she was doing by the 50s (there was a cultural shift; Americans preferred slapstick almost exclusively to the witty repetitions of the previous era). Word play was a much bigger part of the roles she got during the madlibs early 40s, late 30s. And she could do it just as well.

What does what have to do with anything? Actors, scripts, shows, the whole entertainment mess on the whole isn't convincing, just to clarify my statement. It's usually pretty clear when human pieces fit or don't, regardless of elements outside the fishbowl. It's not as if the show was produced 20 million years ago. And regarding the humor, I mean their delivery, reactions to others' reactions or delivery; when do they slip up in character over the course of an episode or the series? When is behavior not in natural congruence with itself?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes, the characters....I got the impression we were typing the show. I really don't know about the actors themselves. Vance is likely not ESTJ, but I think Ethel is.

Not in my wildest dreams could that actor pull off istj convincingly.