• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Calvin & Hobbes

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hobbes always came off as an ESFJ to me, but good analysis.

Yes, ESFJ, there's defenitely a relation of supervision between him and Calvin. And also between Calvin and Susie (INFP-ENTJ). Susie is the Hobbes's Super-Ego (ESFJ-ENTJ).

Fe all the way. he's a little tyrant. there's nothing dreamy about him (which seems un-ifp child). he wants what he wants when he wants it. nor does he seem like an individual self-contained Fi type. he wants attention. he's a self-contained imagination, but he needs enthusiasm--to share enthusiasm--with hobbes. hobbes gets him going.

I think Calvin is a 5w4 Sx/So and that is why is can be so much assertive, impulsive, unfocused and asking for attention by hitting on peoples. But I don't think he's an INFJ, he's very impulsive and without any constancy. Sounds P for me.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, ESFJ, there's defenitely a relation of supervision between him and Calvin. And also between Calvin and Susie (INFP-ENTJ). Susie is the Hobbes's Super-Ego (ESFJ-ENTJ).

I think Calvin is a 5w4 Sx/So and that is why is can be so much assertive, impulsive, unfocused and asking for attention by hitting on peoples. But I don't think he's an INFJ, he's very impulsive and without any constancy. Sounds P for me.

this sounds like sx more than it sounds like j vs p. p dom Ji types have more internal constancy than j dom Pi types. there's little truth grounding me to my world; instead, there's what i see internally, the way i've modeled the world, which is fluid, ever-changing, and almost completely abstracted (even more so than language).

i also don't think the second instinct develops at all until well after the age of 6. the sx is no doubt--responsible for all the little tyrants of the world (whom jesus loves, i'm sure).

he's also assertive with his mom, dad, and his imaginary friend hobbes. i wasn't assertive when i was young, but my mom jokes about how when i was young, she would get clammy hands when a neighbor kid would come over bc i might not share any of my toys or start bossing someone around.

it wasn't until about 6th grade when Fe started kicking in that i started feeling pressure to act a certain way, becoming more aware of how others perceived me, and withdrawing more as a result (common for quiet, vague-in-communication but imaginative infj kids). i'm not sure what effect Ne kicking in for infp adolescents has, if it makes them more aware of their introversion, and more drawn to it, or less. the write-up of ifp kids is usually gentle and dreamy (unless they have tense childhoods).

tho i'll admit i don't know many infp sx doms. which might be a good thread...

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why not, Calvin could be INFJ, but I still skeptical about this, seriously. But I can totally admit that you were calvinish as a child.:newwink:

For the story of the development of the second instincts, I remember about some So manifestations from 4 years old, but maybe I was a little precocious, er...actually, I was.

tho i'll admit i don't know many infp sx doms. which might be a good thread...
Are'nt Kurt Kobain and Marlon Brando Sx, for example?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why not, Calvin could be INFJ, but I still skeptical about this, seriously. But I can totally admit that you were calvinish as a child.:newwink:

For the story of the development of the second instincts, I remember about some So manifestations from 4 years old, but maybe I was a little precocious, er...actually, I was.

Are'nt Kurt Kobain and Marlon Brando Sx, for example?

yeah, i think they are

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hum... I'm trying to illustrate each wing and instinctuals variants of the 4:

4w3 Sp/So= Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, ESFP
4w5 Sp/So= Fyodor Dostoevsky, INFP

4w3 So/Sp= Hayley Williams, ENFJ
4w5 So/Sp= William Faulkner, INFJ

4w3 Sp/Sx= ?
4w5 Sp/Sx= ?

4w3 Sx/Sp=
4w5 Sx/SP= Kurt Cobain (INFP), Marlon Brando (INFJ), Jeff Buckley (INFJ)

4w3 So/Sx= Michael Jackson, ISFP
4w5 So/Sx= ?

4w3 Sx/So= Gwen Stefani, Lady Gaga, ENFPs both
4w5 Sx/So= Heath Ledger, ISFP

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Harry is an ESTP? I had always thought of him as being very ISFX myself... oh well, off topic ^^.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry is an ESTP? I had always thought of him as being very ISFX myself... oh well, off topic ^^.
For some reason most people see him as an ISFP, but I really think he's a clear ESTP. He never shuns social contact unless extremely distressed (He still seeks support from Ron and Hermione then), and he's very clear-headed. Book four is a clear testament to his extroversion, documenting Harry's trouble dealing with becoming a public enemy (which happens to him often) without Ron's support.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Though I do understand the f/p arguments, he is quite emotional especially throughout the last three books, and continually acts irrationally based on his emotions as opposed to logic (ie going after Sirius randomly in the department of secrets and dragging members of the DA along with him.)

Dunno, I can see how both cases apply, and I think he flip flops a bit.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
F/T is iffy yeah, but he's a definite extrovert.

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi
Calvin-INFP. Imaginative, Imaginary friends (aren't INFP's known for that...yeah I know Hobbes is real, but from an outside point of view he is imaginary), inconsistent and a strong use of extraverted intuition. Calvinball is a game designed for those who use Ne and Calvin invented such a game. ENFP? NTP? Calvin is an F. He takes things personally and in the comics as shown earlier in this thread his introverted feeling shows up a lot from time to time. Ever read the comic where Calvin talks to Hobbes about how they will always have each other in their dreams?

At Calvin's core, he is a small boy who desires a companion to go with him an his adventures. He might be a huge task for his parents, but there are several comics which show his NF potential (most specifically the ones of him interacting with his parents in a loving way, with the racoon, tender ones with hobbes) He is an introvert who doesn't know how to interact with other kids in a normal way by his fear of rejection especially when you see that no one really understands him.

Also, Calvin has a huge desire for forming his identity. He is spaceman spiff, stupendous man, dinosaurs, a jet pilot, etc.....he frequently changes his identity and forges it as to how he is feeling from situation to situation as a means of discovering who he is. If Hobbes is imaginary, he does the same thing through Hobbes as well.

Calvin creates/has Hobbes who is a compliment for him. Someone who understands him, plays with him, and has a different enough personality to challenge Calvin. Speaking of which:
Hobbes: EXXJ: I can't quite decide if Hobbes is sensing (loves curling up by the fear, living for the here and now) or intuitive (understands theories like calvin, equal imagination as Calvin) nor can I decide if he is a thinker or feeler.
Part of me wants to say he is an ESTJ more so of being Calvin's shadow where Calvin has the parts of his personality that are their weakest manifest in Hobbes.
I'm sure there will be a disagreement, but what are your thoughts?

Dad:ENTP
MomESFJ?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
NTP for the father doesn't work with this strip, does it?

4631586173_6dc3968655_b.jpg

I think that one ^ makes it pretty obvious his dad isn't NTP.

Does this sound INFP for Calvin? It might, I'm not sure, maybe this is an INFP thing I haven't seen.

4631599629_3072bb9d4b_b.jpg

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ The "as an audience part", not so much; but as a child, people saw me as being disinterested in people. My response would be "to study from a distance" or something very 5-ish like that.

I don't think he is 4w5 or 5w4. I think he is 4w3, which greatly explains the "audience" bit & his occasional acting out for attention. There are INFPs who like to perform as a creative outlet (hence INFP actors & musicians), even if interacting drains them.

Besides, characters, like people, will never be a 100% mirror of any type. Overall, his character suggests INFP more than anything, IMO.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
So, basically, Calvin's the type of whomever is currently posting? :-D Seriously, I don't know of anyone who likes the strip that doesn't say they were just like Calvin as a kid.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasn't really (which is relevant because I was INFP as a kid).

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah I wasnt like calvin as a kid and I love the strip.

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi
So, basically, Calvin's the type of whomever is currently posting? :-D Seriously, I don't know of anyone who likes the strip that doesn't say they were just like Calvin as a kid.

I wasn't like Calvin, thought as to which of us isn't an infp I'm not sure, if not both.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think that one ^ makes it pretty obvious his dad isn't NTP.

On the contrary I think this makes Calvin's Dad a very clear INTP.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Calvin can't possibly be I in general, due to the need to express himself externally. Even though hobbes is an aspect of his own mind, as is most of his imagination scenes, the fact is that he expresses himself externally rather than internally in thought process.

Therefore, I is pretty much impossible.

He's definately E to begin with, most likely N due to understanding things as complex patterns intuitively rather than seeing whot's really there (N over S), his choices and thoughts are generally described through emotions, but he also puts alot of thought into emotional matters (albeit after translating them heavily through Ne into caricatures), so I'm 50/50 on whether he's F or T, since he shows tenancies of both when making decisions or thinking of things. The P is almost guaranteed; he has no desire for finality, nor order. Calvinball itself, his own game, has only one rule, that it can't be played the same way twice. That pretty much kills any belief in J.

So most likely, he's either an undeveloped ENTP, or an ENFP. The F seems more likely, but considering we're talking about an undeveloped child, ENTP's at that age tend to show more F signs early on, so it's hard to be certain.

Either way, Ne is his primary function definitely, regardless.

This brings us to the matter... Ti or Fi?

Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.

Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.

Well he lives in such an imaginative world, that his grasp of 'true and false' is kind of lacking most of the time. I would argue this to mean it's unlikely he maintains much Fi.

Since he interprets things into the 'essence' of them, and breaks them into metaphors (his imagination) to better express them and understand such, as well as goes to great lengths to minimize effort (aliens ate my homework! Gravity reversed, I couldn't do anything!), and his models are all based off Ne, which means the logic he uses is consistent within his own imaginary world, I would suggest Ti is more likely than Fi as his secondary function.

This would imply he's probably just an undeveloped ENTP being mistaken for a mature ENFP.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think hes an undeveloped ENFP. Im not gonna say i was anything like calvin when i was younger because thats a pretty frightening thought but i can relate completely to the fact that he came off as a thinker. I think, in the process of feeling rejected by a world he wanted to be included in he outwardly put on a thinker appearance.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
and Hobbes i think is an ISTJ. First of all, their relationship fits very well when they are opposites. Each is everything the others not, and it can be complimentary even as it leads to constant disagreements.

Hobbes is clearly an introvert. He spends all of his time alone or with Calvin and he is very self contained in an introverty way.

I also think he is an S, something highlighted most when Calvin tries to have his existential conversations with him and gets the grounded, concrete type answers he is isnt looking for.

I also think hobbes is a T. He is great at not getting carried away when Calvin is, and the affection he shows Calvin comes off as very ISTJish to me. Sweet in a calm, peaceful sort of way.

I also think he is a J. His organization in perfect contrast to calvins mindblowingly powerful procrastination.