• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Johnny Depp and Viggo Mortensen

Psychdigg

Mask:

Read some of my blogs. It will explain my orientation.

As far as the quotes some of it was fabrication to mirror the nature of the questions that were asked. I could make a thorough linquistic analysis of the conversation but I don't think you would understand it let alone believe it.

Psychdigg

Aleksei: So your rebuttal is basic "laziness". If you don't want to argue in good faith so be it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
interesting...interesting... so this somatyping is solely based on body type? tell me how an enfps body is different than that of an entp or infp? i'm not saying it's bs...i think it's interesting...i even personally think i can tell sometimes by the look in someones eye...so i'm curious what the body tells you.

KDude

ISFPs have big asses and INFPs are mutants made from spare parts (but big asses as well). There's so much fat on our bodies that we get these big waddling asses kicked at all times.. and that's the real reason for shunning confrontation. Not Fi values. ;)

The reason why Alexei doesn't need to debate Psychedigg is because Psychedigg's typology model is stupid. That might sound overly dismissive, but the truth is, some things in life are worth being called stupid. This is one of them. Why? Because typology is psychology, not physiology. That's the bottom line. If there is one absolute fact about Jung or MBTI, it is that. It might have it's flaws, but lets not forget at least the most elementary part of what we're all engaging in here. And if one is going to forget it, then invent something entirely different, and don't use MBTI labels like "INFP" or "ENFP" and try to redefine what they mean - and pass it off like the new definitions are the truth, and you are the sole expert.. that everyone got it all so wrong before, even Jung himself, and we're in the presence of some genius. I was willing to humor him a little, but once people start speaking like that, you realize you're dealing with a salesman, or worse, a cult leader. :D I don't know what he is, but I don't appreciate people just claiming authority by default. They're just showing themselves as people who want to others to be beholden to them.

E

Epiphany

Aleksei:

Bury your head in the sand. Ignore any other possibilities. You deserve what you explore.

Mask:

As far as the quotes some of it was fabrication to mirror the nature of the questions that were asked. I could make a thorough linquistic analysis of the conversation but I don't think you would understand it let alone believe it.

This is why I can't take you seriously. You told Aleksei that he is closeminded and not open to other possibilities; and then you accused Johnny Depp of being dishonest in his responses because his own self-assessment doesn't align with your theory. Who is being closeminded here? Your reasoning is not objective. You are so convinced that your theory is correct that you refuse to believe Johnny Depp was even being honest about his personality.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Chloe:

Chloe:

These tests, although popular, are unreliable. Not because I say they are unreliable. Measured on the basis of test-retest results they produce different results 60-70% of the time. That is basically my point. You aren't necessarily what the test says you are. You aren't necessarily what you think you are. And certainly other people aren't necessarily what you think they are.

Statistically INFP's show up as 4 and 9. Statistically ENTP's show up as 8 and 3

Your INFP's that are showing up as 8's? Send me a photograph etc. and I'll give them some data that might help them figure things out. You can never get enough data and viewpoints for something as important as self-identity.

Here's a picture of me from five years ago. I have the same body type today.. 5'10 height, 125lbs-135lbs. Mid twenties. Or you can go check my album out for other pictures.

I test INFP every time, as
type 5>9>4>6>1>7>2>8>3
and
type 6>9>2>4>7>3>8>1>5
on the enneagram.

Only 'ONE' person today is allowed to see the real me. Not even my brother gets to see that side of me.

You said that I was an INTJ last time we spoke, not an INFP. I gave you my exact measurements including photos. Am I still an INTJ?

Ps. What is your relation with Johnny Depp, if you don't mind me asking? By the way you write about what he wants and how he acts (off-screen) you seem like you've been best buddies since first grade.

Psychdigg

Chloe: Didn't mean to offend. Of course there are extreme physical conditions such as hormonal imbalance that can affect personality.

Psychdigg

Angel M:

My assessment was not based on a standard somatotype photograph. I am not talking about a nude photo. A photo that shows your body from your neck down to the bottom of your butt with snug fitting clothes would be adequate. Preferably it would be a photo with your palms outward facing the front and directly at the side of your body. That way I could determine the very important trunk index. My assessment was based on height, weight and age which leaves room for error. I looked at the typical body type corresponding to those figures. And the figures I gave you would typically be in the intj area.

However looking at this later photo you appear very low in muscularity. This could make you the following somatotype:

Endo 3 Meso 1.5 Ecto 5.5 Balance 4.0 and the Trunk Index would be 1.30 This would be in INTP territory which is adjacent to INFP. That would not be a major shift. It would just be a flip-flop on F and T . There is another facet of somatotyping that occasionally can affect the results. It's called the andro-gynic dimension. This is a scale on how much the somatotype looks feminine or masculine. Masculine somatoypes are characterized by noticeable muscular definition. In that case a person may be more feeling which is higher in women than in men. When Sheldon worked at the Jung institute he treated Albert Einstein who was bothered by what Sheldon called a gynic intrusion. This information was passed to me word of mouth from one of Sheldon's closest collaborators and was a sort of breach in the Doctor/Patient confidence. It doesn't matter now they are all dead.

Based on the data at hand I was as accurate as possible. I could have perhaps said that based on the limited data there was an 80% chance of your being an INTJ and a 20% chance of being INTP.

Psychdigg

Kdude:

Saying this method is "stupid" is in fact "stupid". Jung's psychology is based on mysticism and woo-woo. It is a religion. Read some of his biographies. He was a miserable bully - a cult leader. His theories are often based on his experiences with just one or two patients.

Your statement that psychology is not physiology shows your ignorance of the direction modern science is going. Psychologists are extremely interested in the physiological substrate of behavior. The religious notion of "soul" as the cause of behavior has been abandoned by science. Human behavior requires a human BODY. There are basic systems required by a human body. There has to be a system for taking in and digesting nutrients. (GUT or Visceral System) There has to be a system for moving the body (muscular system) . There has to be a system for choosing direction (brain and nervous system). And there has to be a system for orientation (sensory receptors).

I challenge anyone to come up with another body system that isn't a sub-system of one of these four.

Now, remember humans differ in how these systems are constituted. We differ in how much of our tissue is invested in gut, muscle, brain. Are you going to say that people are all equally endowed with these capacities. Are you going to ignore the larger investment in gut with an endomorph and what that means in the way that body is predisposed to behave? Are you going to ignore the muscle mass of the mesomorph? Do you think having abundant energy and muscle is going to have minimal effect on the person that possesses that trait. Are you going to ignore the large surface to volume ratio in ectomorphs and say that this has no effect on their behavior. If you deny this then you are doing so out of ignorance.

As to this statement you made:

I don't appreciate people just claiming authority by default. They're just showing themselves as people who want to others to be beholden to them.

I don't believe in authority. I believe in intelligent entities. I believe in intelligent concepts.

As to my use of MBTI types. I have said it over and over. I use those types because they are popular. You have to start wherever you are. A good personality theory can be expected to explain all the typologies. And typologies aren't scripture handed down from Mount Sinai - writ in stone. It should be expected that there will be some adjustments in understanding typology if it is science and not religion.

I understand too well that some here don't like change. The desire for change requires a certain personality trait called "openness". Not all of you have that. Those who don't score high on openness prefer to wait until the "new" becomes orthodoxy. And those who wait until the "new" becomes orthodox die without benefiting from the "new". So be it. It has always been that way.

I'm not building an organization. I enjoy seeing people really discovering their identity. I am saddened by the endless discussions of "I don't know if I'm a T or an F" I guess I'll just be an IXXJ etc. The objective of helping people find their true self through somatotyping is the same as helping people discover themselves through MBTI or DiSC or whatever. The difference that I have seen for myself and others is that knowing one's body type eventually moves a person toward wholeness. This is something you can only experience if you try it. Even if you find your somatotype that's no guarantee you will be enlightened. You need to understand what the somatotype theory is about. And that could take some time.

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
What type are Viggo and Johnny?

My fucking type, that's what they are ;)

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
This is a very interesting thread.

Psychdigg, I don't mean to butt in, but I feel that you are so in love with this somatotype theory that you are not being objective here. You are basically telling everyone that they are wrong and that the theories they believe in are wrong too. I find this somatotype interesting and worthy of checking out, but it's still just one theory among others. That means somatotype can be wrong, too. And when you say things like...
And certainly other people aren't necessarily what you think they are.
Send me a photograph etc. and I'll give them some data that might help them figure things out.
...you are directly contradicting yourself.

It's not objective to act as if somatotype is the only correct personality theory in existence. It is a possibility among others. As you said you are researching it, you should really aim for an objective approach. Otherwise your love for it will justify it.

Psychdigg

Mr. Random: Yes I overstate some things because I am an enthusiast for somatotype. But let me make this point again. Theory has to do more than describe something. Describing is a legitimate scientific endeavor. Things are easier to handle if you classify them and build taxonomies whether its personalities, ferns or the shapes of galaxies. But, at some point you have to "explain" them. Do you see the difference? The difference between merely describing and explaining?

Jung's explanations are not scientific. There is nothing he can measure objectively. He didn't particularly like tests such as MBTI. It is reported that half the Jungian analysts don't use the MBTI types.

Somatotype has been proven scientifically to correlate with certain personality traits. True, these correlations are low (.25 to .60) but they are in the direction Sheldon predicted and are significant to p. .01 I believe I have found the missing fourth dimension in Sheldon's scheme that makes it possible to correlate somatotype with most of the personality theories.

CONTRADICTING MYSELF?

How? Without any objective measurement you are left with strictly opinion. Are assessments minus objective measurement and based on opinion going to be reliable?
Is it a false statment to say that other people aren't NECESSARILY what you think they are?

On the other hand somatotype is based on physical measurements and its connection with various personality types whether Four temperaments, Enneagram, MBTI, Big 5, Cattell 16 PF, DiSC . The fact that somatotype correlates with whatever system you may be using suggests that something is working.
On the other hand measurements that connect somatotype with personality

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read a Viggo Mortensen interview in Elle once, and I was like, wow, this guy is in my head. That said, I think he is INFJ, not ISFP. He has a more intense vibe than easy-going - contrasting him with Depp shows that. Depp gives off the idea he is a lot more intense underneath the surface, but maintains an external calmness.

Depp is INFP, maybe ISFP, but he seems Ne-aux to me. His approach to acting sounds like an INFP creative approach - have a concept, then toss it & do what feels right. When he talks about a "universal feeling" in that interview, it just screams Fi.

KDude

^I like Depp's process.. I don't know if it says anything about type, but it's simple, almost childlike mimicry..like he just looks for a simple symbolic image to anchor his characters on and builds from there. He talks a lot about basing his characters on combinations of things or people he knows, and just imitates. Jack Sparrow is supposedly Pepe LePeaux and Keith Richards. Edward Scissorhands was just based on a dog he knew once. His ability to latch on to the right expression of what he sees in the script is cool though..

Random tidbit.. he thought his skills were kind of a joke at first. There's a funny story when he first got hired for Scissorhands, and he started hiding out in his trailer and freaking out..he thought it was a big prank that people were letting him star in a movie like that, like it was wrong for him to be there. That they would "figure him out" and his acting days were over. He thought Tim Burton was totally different and just this big hotshot Batman director, and that he was going to knock on the door at any minute and tell him he was going to be replaced with Tom Hanks (even though Hanks nothing to do with anything..Depp said he just thought that because Hanks was really popular after Big came out). That all sounds a little like random N paranoia to me.. :cool:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp