• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Johnny Depp and Viggo Mortensen

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
dudes totally fine...haha that was meant to be fi ne haha

Psychdigg

Kdude: Hey. I didn't invent MBTI. It assumes too much. I prefer a simple biologically rooted description. I use MBTI because of its popularity and there is a reasonably good fit. I would say Johnny Depps body systems are ranked as follows: 1. orientational 2. Muscular 3. Nervous 4. Visceral

His dominant system is Orientational which defines what he wants. He wants change because that's what sensory organs and receptors deal with ----they detect "difference" or change. His secondary system is his muscular system. Muscles want to move they want action and since the secondary system defines how the organism gets what it wants you can say that his basic description is that he is WORKING FOR CHANGE. His weakest system defines what he avoids. Since Visceral system is last he AVOIDS SURENDER AND COMPROMISE.

That's it. You really get into trouble if you say much more. Johnny Depp is original and likes challenges that take shape as a discreet "project" that he can accomplish. And as far as avoiding surrender and compromise he is a free spirit and resists interference and will occasionally act out and express anger in unacceptable ways.

In contrast an INFP is focused on harmony and accommodation. They are lowest in muscularity and therefore do everything to avoid confrontation or situations that could be highly frustrating.

Although, typology makes you think in terms of rigid boundaries between types you have to remember that the variation is continuous and that there is cross contamination. In other words you can incorporate aspects of neighboring somatotypes. The enneagram is an example of this type of blending. You have 9 basic types but a lot more when you consider the wings.

Why would he need to "suck people in" when there is a crowd of acting students? How about-- because he doesn't want to disappoint their expectations.

All emotional expressions evolved to send signals to others. And all emotional expressions can be manufactured for the purpose of manipulation. You can tell the difference. Things like affected speech, furrowed brows, flashes of smile, followed by glancing around at the audience to see the reaction are indications that some degree of deception is in progress.

The one really defining statement in that interview was when he was asked about the best advice he's ever gotten. And he chose the incident where his mother told him that if anyone is really pushing him around then he should pick up the nearest rock or stick and "put them down". He chose that incident to describe his relationship with a studio as some kind of "abuse". Then his main advice transforms into you got to "keep moving forward". A muscular person wants to "move". And since he is also orientational he want's to move "forward". Change is forward. Peace and harmony is the status quo. ENTP's want to move forward. INFP's are more concerned with creative ways to adjust and keep harmony.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think you're just seeing his ne and maybe a bit of ti but mistaking his fi for fe...i can see him as an infp who uses ti but not an entp i think the deception you think you see is him not wanting to bring too much attention to himself...wanting to be authentic while toning it down so as to not come off as boastful.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kdude: Hey. I didn't invent MBTI. It assumes too much. I prefer a simple biologically rooted description. I use MBTI because of its popularity and there is a reasonably good fit. I would say Johnny Depps body systems are ranked as follows: 1. orientational 2. Muscular 3. Nervous 4. Visceral

His dominant system is Orientational which defines what he wants. He wants change because that's what sensory organs and receptors deal with ----they detect "difference" or change. His secondary system is his muscular system. Muscles want to move they want action and since the secondary system defines how the organism gets what it wants you can say that his basic description is that he is WORKING FOR CHANGE. His weakest system defines what he avoids. Since Visceral system is last he AVOIDS SURENDER AND COMPROMISE.

That's it. You really get into trouble if you say much more. Johnny Depp is original and likes challenges that take shape as a discreet "project" that he can accomplish. And as far as avoiding surrender and compromise he is a free spirit and resists interference and will occasionally act out and express anger in unacceptable ways.

In contrast an INFP is focused on harmony and accommodation. They are lowest in muscularity and therefore do everything to avoid confrontation or situations that could be highly frustrating.

Although, typology makes you think in terms of rigid boundaries between types you have to remember that the variation is continuous and that there is cross contamination. In other words you can incorporate aspects of neighboring somatotypes. The enneagram is an example of this type of blending. You have 9 basic types but a lot more when you consider the wings.

Why would he need to "suck people in" when there is a crowd of acting students? How about-- because he doesn't want to disappoint their expectations.

All emotional expressions evolved to send signals to others. And all emotional expressions can be manufactured for the purpose of manipulation. You can tell the difference. Things like affected speech, furrowed brows, flashes of smile, followed by glancing around at the audience to see the reaction are indications that some degree of deception is in progress.

The one really defining statement in that interview was when he was asked about the best advice he's ever gotten. And he chose the incident where his mother told him that if anyone is really pushing him around then he should pick up the nearest rock or stick and "put them down". He chose that incident to describe his relationship with a studio as some kind of "abuse". Then his main advice transforms into you got to "keep moving forward". A muscular person wants to "move". And since he is also orientational he want's to move "forward". Change is forward. Peace and harmony is the status quo. ENTP's want to move forward. INFP's are more concerned with creative ways to adjust and keep harmony.

That's a fascinating analysis and rings very true to me.

Psychdigg

Lady X:

In other words you really "like" him.

The oldest trick in the male evolutionary courtship book is to look vulnerable to females. The female selects for a balance between competency (ability to protect) and nurturance. In an environment of admirers there is no need to stamp hooves, snort, or pound the chest. That's why you don't see the aggresive foundation of his personality.

What is really evident is his kinesthetic sense of his motor behavior. Commenting on one's own behavior is a strong indication of extraversion and viewing himself objectively from his audiences viewpoint. He was viewing his own performance while he was performing. Makes for a great classical actor. And he does seem to do very well in those flamboyant roles.

This discussion about Johnny Depp does not mean my theory is off. I have pointed to very concrete things about Johnny Depp and his behavior that are characteristic of ENTP. In the long run as Johnny Depp's career and energy dissipate you will see a person who has great difficulty accepting the control that age and life impose on a person. You will see bitterness borne of frustration emerge.

An INFP is a different animal. They are clingy and afraid of loosing their security. They yield to the point of self-denial. Situations that come up that threaten their relationships are ignored and resisted as long as possible. They want to sacrifice themselves for their idols. They want to be absorbed or dissolved into the ocean of their ideals. They are cautious and patient and don't rock the boat looking for a better situation. They prefer the framework of the familiar. They want to be loved.

In contrast Johnny Depp is happiest when he is jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

These discussions are a reminder to me how few people grasp the biological nature of their personality/temperament. And there is this unfounded reliance on a constellation of questions that generate unreliable results. In turn this is further corrupted in identifying the personality of others.

Psychdigg

Johnny Depps reaction to compliments:

Simply mock humility. We all learn that. You get your ass kicked if you gloat. What's so extraordinary about that when it comes to any type. Of course if you are incompetent and seldom get compliments for anything you may not have the skills for doing the socially correct thing - which as everyone learns is to down play your reaction or possibly return the favor -- I couldn't have done this without YOUUUUUUU.

Psychdigg

Enneagram and Johnny Depp:

Usually individuals with Johnny Depp's somatotype would be considered 8 enneagram.

INFP's are more like a 4 enneagram.

Maybe we should call this field "Depp Psychology"

Chloe

Enneagram and Johnny Depp:

Usually individuals with Johnny Depp's somatotype would be considered 8 enneagram.

INFPs can be enneagram 8, to. I know 2 INFPs who are 8s.

Psychdigg

Chloe:

Chloe:

These tests, although popular, are unreliable. Not because I say they are unreliable. Measured on the basis of test-retest results they produce different results 60-70% of the time. That is basically my point. You aren't necessarily what the test says you are. You aren't necessarily what you think you are. And certainly other people aren't necessarily what you think they are.

Statistically INFP's show up as 4 and 9. Statistically ENTP's show up as 8 and 3

Your INFP's that are showing up as 8's? Send me a photograph etc. and I'll give them some data that might help them figure things out. You can never get enough data and viewpoints for something as important as self-identity.

Chloe

Chloe:

Chloe:

These tests, although popular, are unreliable. Not because I say they are unreliable. Measured on the basis of test-retest results they produce different results 60-70% of the time. That is basically my point. You aren't necessarily what the test says you are. You aren't necessarily what you think you are. And certainly other people aren't necessarily what you think they are.

Statistically INFP's show up as 4 and 9. Statistically ENTP's show up as 8 and 3

Your INFP's that are showing up as 8's? Send me a photograph etc. and I'll sort out their problem.

The INFP 8s I know didnt determine their type by test. They are in MBTI and Enneagram circles; doing it for business for years. I mean one INFP 8 i know, other is not in that world for profession

They know themselves. It doesnt take to be genius to figure do you prefer P/J or F/T, and what enneagram type you are, if you're in this for years. You can go wrong with 1 letter, but not much more. And I am sure they are INFP 8

Psychdigg

Chloe:

I would expect professional typologists to come up with results that are in line with statistics based on large numbers.

A person is least capable of making objective decisions about their own personalities.

E

Epiphany

Johnny Depp is almost always typed as Enneagram 4. Go to Google, type in "Johnny Depp" and "Enneagram" and what results do you come up with?

You are getting his personality mixed up with some of his roles. Those teen girl heart throb sensitive characters were not his favorite roles. His favorite character is Jack Sparrow.

IMDB: Frequently cites Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)) and Edward Scissorhands (1990) as the favorite characters that he has played.

Quotes:

"With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be, otherwise it's just not acting. It's lying."

"The characters I've played, that I've responded to, there has been a lost-soul quality to them."

"Am I a romantic? I've seen Wuthering Heights (1939) ten times. I'm a romantic."

"I'm shy, paranoid, whatever word you want to use. I hate fame. I've done everything I can to avoid it."

"Those are things that are out of my control. It's very nice to be appreciated, but I'm not really comfortable with it. I've never liked being the centre of attention. It comes with the territory."

"As a teenager I was so insecure. I was the type of guy that never fitted in because he never dared to choose. I was convinced I had absolutely no talent at all. For nothing. And that thought took away all my ambition, too."

"When I see someone who just follows their dream and succeeds, and just does basically what they want to do and doesn't have to answer to anyone, obviously not harming anyone, that's great."

"I've gotten weird letters, suicide letters, girls threatening to jump if I don't get in touch with them. So you think, This is bullshit, but then you think, What if it's not? Who wants to take that chance? I write them back, tell them to hang in there - if things are that bad they have to get better. But I'm not altogether stable myself, so who am I to give advice?"

These quotes don't seem to support your ENTP theory.

It seems that you overlooked my original question, so I'll ask it again.

Are you suggesting that people of each personality type have the same physical appearance? If someone's body changes over time, does their personality change to correspond with it?

Chloe

Johnny Depp is almost always typed as Enneagram 4. Go to Google, type in "Johnny Depp" and "Enneagram" and what do you come up with?.

i also think he's 4, but there are also infp 8s, which i had to say here.

Chloe

Chloe:

I would expect professional typologists to come up with results that are in line with statistics based on large numbers.

A person is least capable of making objective decisions about their own personalities.

he wasnt only typed by himself, by other people in the business.

but we dont need to derail this thread more

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Psychdigg makes me lol. Very hard.

Seriously, any of you guys take this joker seriously?

Psychdigg

Aleksei:

Aleksei:

How about a rebuttal. You are playing to the gallery. Does it really matter who takes this seriously? Obviously all paradigm change takes place with out a popular vote. It doesn't matter to me if this is accepted by you or anyone. I will continue my research.

You have a test that is unreliable. So enjoy it. Bury your head in the sand. Ignore any other possibilities. You deserve what you explore.

Psychdigg

Chloe:

Sorry but "experts" are often wrong. I am an expert at somatotyping. I really can't decide myself what type anyone is. Your body tells it all. If your imagined or preferred type is out of sync with your inherited behavioral potential there is something in your environment that threw you off. If your preferred type is way off then you are dealing with maladaptation and need serious therapy.