• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The other House characters

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nobody have never said that Foreman lack of intuition, and I've express many arguments to demonstrate that Foreman is an SJ and not an NT but you have eluded them.
I have not. I seriously considered them, discarded them and then confronted you about them. Foreman does not use Si.

Ok, you are ready to change your typing, but your typing still worng.;)
You have yet to prove as much.

By the way, show me the inferior Se with Foreman.
He was a hoodlum as a kid, and throughout the show he displays strong dexterity with the hands-on tasks associated with that. He's usually the one who breaks into houses, and according to his brother, as a teenager he was "quicker with a flathead screwdriver than most people with a key." He further appears to become spontaneously reckless under stress, often recurring to House-like antics he would not otherwise consider.

But they are disclinded. They deal with theory because House is the boss but it's not all their more natural way of acting. They are often skeptical to his exibit intuitions because they are focused on physical data wich say the contrary. House M.D show that sensors can be open to the intuitive side but that it's not their more natural way to act, that's all.
I could see Chase being reluctant to act in a deductive manner (this could as easily be a sign of introversion as sensing), and Taub and Foreman are, as established already, more comfortable working with with Te than Ni (which is rather common for intuitive Judgers). Cameron and Wilson show no discomfort with theoretical discussions, and Thirteen for one displays outright enthusiasm for them -- particularly when they engage a subject that touches upon her personal values (Ne Fi).

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just saw the episode that describes a day in Cuddy's life and confirms her being an ENTJ,imo, btw, for those who typed her differently.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
... particularly when Ns are a smaller proportion of the population, and any TV show has to have characters that appeal to mass demographics (as House certainly does) and therefore tend to have traits that many people can identify with....

I'm not sure about this part. Since these are characters working from a script, not real people, they don't necessarily follow the statistical patterns of N vs. S preference, or any of the four preferences. The show's writers (just like books' authors) can make their characters whatever type they want. So it's possible that they'd all be Intuitive.

The process of character choice is probably influenced by the anticipated "target audience," as you say--true, but fictional characters' type preferences could still go in any direction.

(Not ranting, it's just that I was about to post what I said here anyway.)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just saw the episode that describes a day in Cuddy's life and confirms her being an ENTJ,imo, btw, for those who typed her differently.
Frankly that episode gave me pause on Cuddy being ENTJ. The way she handled the negotiations with Atlantic Net lacked foresight and, and her ideas seemed spontaneous and derivative -- Ne in nature rather than Ni. This, in addition to the assertive and organized manner in which she manages the hospital, suggests an Ne-Te or Ne-Fe functional loop. She's not nearly enough of a hardass to be an ESTJ (Te Si tends to come off much rougher than Te Ni), so that leaves either ENFP, or ESFJ. I'm guessing the latter.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Update:

Cuddy: ESFJ
Wilson: ENFJ
Cameron: INFJ
Chase: ISTP
Foreman: INTJ
Taub: INTJ
Thirteen: ENFP
Kutner: ESTP
Amber: ENTP
Lucas: INTP

Last edited:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On further reflection, Amber is ENFP, of a far nastier variety than Thirteen. She's capricious, has a deep sense of self and of what she wants that ExTPs usually lack. She also speaks and acts in a very structured manner (Te), but lacks the foresight and strategic prowess inherent to higher Ni users -- which is why FDG correctly pointed out she seemed stupid and transparent compared to ENTJs. Instead she relies heavily on zany ideas that come seemingly out of nowhere and don't directly relate to her present environment (unlike the Se-dominant Kutner, who is sharply aware of his surroundings and how to use them), indicating Ne-dominance. The next-best guess, ESTJ, doesn't really fit because she seems not to use Si much at all, and her Te is subordinate to her Fi -- She plans and commands to get what she wants.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Frankly that episode gave me pause on Cuddy being ENTJ. The way she handled the negotiations with Atlantic Net lacked foresight and, and her ideas seemed spontaneous and derivative -- Ne in nature rather than Ni. This, in addition to the assertive and organized manner in which she manages the hospital, suggests an Ne-Te or Ne-Fe functional loop. She's not nearly enough of a hardass to be an ESTJ (Te Si tends to come off much rougher than Te Ni), so that leaves either ENFP, or ESFJ. I'm guessing the latter.

On the contrary, even Ni-doms collapse under the kind of pressure that Cuddy was under (I've seen my INTJ when the stakes are high). To actually take the gamble becoz it was the *right* thing to do...that to me is very Ni. Also, you walk through her day that episode and no offense..the woman is a machine.

Shifting back and forth between several problems, dealing with everything in such an efficient way, instantly prioritizing and knowing what can wait how long..how Te can you get. The way she mothers also says a lot. Yes, she's concerned for her child, but the way she hands her over and instructs the nanny is very much like a doctor..not a mom. The way she calls her during the day to check on her...very CEO, not very mom-like. It's inefficient that she cannot get a hold of her nanny and check the status. Once she does get her on the phone, she's instantly alright with it, doesn't get pissed off and checks on the status of her child, to then once more delve into the next task. She clearly loves her daughter, but it's not in a very ESFJ way, I think.

Once again, it's the socializing and having to mince words that drains her, not the work itself. The victories she gets clearly charge her and allow her to keep up the routine that I would *never* be able to live by. The way she still believes that there is good in all people gets her caught by surprise with the employee. But once she had a second to recover, she strikes back like a frigging sledge hammer. As I said..the woman is a machine. I'm utterly in awe.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On the contrary, even Ni-doms collapse under the kind of pressure that Cuddy was under (I've seen my INTJ when the stakes are high). To actually take the gamble becoz it was the *right* thing to do...that to me is very Ni.
Hardly; Ni is a perceiving function, it just calculates. It has no sense of right and wrong. Taking a gamble because it's the right thing to do is Fe or Fi in nature, as opposed to taking a gamble because you're cocksure you're right (Ti or Te), or because damnit you will not be denied! (strictly Fi).

Also, you walk through her day that episode and no offense..the woman is a machine.

Shifting back and forth between several problems, dealing with everything in such an efficient way, instantly prioritizing and knowing what can wait how long..how Te can you get. The way she mothers also says a lot. Yes, she's concerned for her child, but the way she hands her over and instructs the nanny is very much like a doctor..not a mom. The way she calls her during the day to check on her...very CEO, not very mom-like. It's inefficient that she cannot get a hold of her nanny and check the status. Once she does get her on the phone, she's instantly alright with it, doesn't get pissed off and checks on the status of her child, to then once more delve into the next task. She clearly loves her daughter, but it's not in a very ESFJ way, I think.
Great points... Te rather than Fe.

Once again, it's the socializing and having to mince words that drains her, not the work itself. The victories she gets clearly charge her and allow her to keep up the routine that I would *never* be able to live by. The way she still believes that there is good in all people gets her caught by surprise with the employee. But once she had a second to recover, she strikes back like a frigging sledge hammer. As I said..the woman is a machine. I'm utterly in awe.
I don't know you so I'm not trying to tell you what you do, but it might not be such a good idea to compare her to yourself and conclude she's not an Fi-auxiliary based on that. Fi represents being guided by a value set, which can be literally anything. The fact she's machine-like could easily mean that she tremendously values her work and her hospital (House actually referred to PPTH as "her baby" in Maternity), and thus she buries herself in it -- aided by her strong Te. I still think she lacks much foresight, suggesting Ne use as opposed to Ni, which means her functions are Ne, Te, Fi and Si. Now, since I still don't think she's anywhere near enough of a hardass to be Te Si (despite being, as you said, machine-like), the next-best guess is ENFP.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
New update:

Cuddy: ENFP
Amber: ENFP

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
On further reflection, Amber is ENFP, of a far nastier variety than Thirteen. She's capricious, has a deep sense of self and of what she wants that ExTPs usually lack. She also speaks and acts in a very structured manner (Te), but lacks the foresight and strategic prowess inherent to higher Ni users -- which is why FDG correctly pointed out she seemed stupid and transparent compared to ENTJs. Instead she relies heavily on zany ideas that come seemingly out of nowhere and don't directly relate to her present environment (unlike the Se-dominant Kutner, who is sharply aware of his surroundings and how to use them), indicating Ne-dominance.

I have no freaking clue what Thirteen's type is, although she definitely uses Fi to make decisions, but I think your argument about Amber being ENFP is completely specious. Just because her plans don't directly relate to her present environment (which actually isn't the case, anyway) doesn't mean that she must use Ne rather than Ni. Where do you even get that? I think that she's actually quite strategic -- her plans tend to work, after all, even if they're not outwardly brilliant. Girl is EXTJ -- I personally lean towards ENTJ, but I've seen convincing arguments that she's an Si-user. I really don't think that the assertion that she doesn't use Ni/Si holds any water. The fact is that it's difficult to type TV characters as it is because we can only go by what we're shown, but I can't emphasize enough how not ENFP (even a nasty variety) Amber is. That much Te is NOT tertiary.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no freaking clue what Thirteen's type is, although she definitely uses Fi to make decisions, but I think your argument about Amber being ENFP is completely specious. Just because her plans don't directly relate to her present environment (which actually isn't the case, anyway) doesn't mean that she must use Ne rather than Ni. Where do you even get that?
I was actually demonstrating how she's Ne as opposed to Se (the idea being floated around being that she was ESTP).

I think that she's actually quite strategic -- her plans tend to work, after all, even if they're not outwardly brilliant.
They lack the foresight inherent to Ni. She doesn't play chess, she just wings it and it usually sticks.

The fact is that it's difficult to type TV characters as it is because we can only go by what we're shown, but I can't emphasize enough how not ENFP (even a nasty variety) Amber is. That much Te is NOT tertiary.
I'm Te-tertiary, and my own Te is stronger than my auxiliary Fi (while still being subordinate to it, thus tertiary). It's not impossible. She could be ESTJ instead, but in either case she'd have inverted central functions (Ne > Si or Te > Fi as opposed to Si > Ne or Fi > Te).

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
New update:

Cuddy: ENFP
Amber: ENFP

Too many Ns.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is fiction. The fact that most people in the real world are S is 100% irrelevant.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, no. All that's required is for them to fit the functional order of an N type. Foreman and Taub for example, are not very comfortable with intuitive thinking (preferring to use Te, poking holes in other peoples' theories), but they both show flashes of Ni (foresight), and no Si (reliance on memory and experience). Ergo, they are both INTJ, as opposed to ISTJ. Then there's Cuddy, who shows signs of Ne (hypothesizing, theories, zany ideas plucked from thin air) used in support of Te (organization and efficient management) and Fi (values), which means she is either Ne Fi Te Si (ENFP), or Te Si Ne Fi (ESTJ). She's nowhere near enough of a hardass for the latter, so I guessed the former. And so on, and so forth.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, no. All that's required is for them to fit the functional order of an N type. Foreman and Taub for example, are not very comfortable with intuitive thinking (preferring to use Te, poking holes in other peoples' theories), but they both show flashes of Ni (foresight), and no Si (reliance on memory and experience). Ergo, they are both INTJ, as opposed to ISTJ. Then there's Cuddy, who shows signs of Ne (hypothesizing, theories, zany ideas plucked from thin air) used in support of Te (organization and efficient management) and Fi (values), which means she is either Ne Fi Te Si (ENFP), or Te Si Ne Fi (ESTJ). She's nowhere near enough of a hardass for the latter, so I guessed the former. And so on, and so forth.

Functional order is more abused than "they hate our freedom!"

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Functional order is what the whole damn typology system is based on. :dry: