• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing the various incarnations of the Doctor and the Master

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
All right, heads up to all you Doctor Who fans! I, your lord and Master, will be attempting to type the various incarnations of the Doctor and yours truly. I'll also include two Masters found exclusively in the novels, because I'm an enormous nerd and actually read Doctor Who books. Feel free to post any disagreements.

First Doctor: INTJ
Second Doctor: ENFP
Third Doctor: ISTP
Fourth Doctor: ENFP
Fifth Doctor: INFP
Sixth Doctor: ENTJ (or perhaps a very unhealthy ENFJ?)
Seventh Doctor: INTJ
Eighth Doctor: INFJ
Ninth Doctor: ESFP
Tenth Doctor: ENTP
Eleventh Doctor: far too early to tell, but certainly xxxP

First Master/Koschei: INTP
Second Master: INFJ
Delgado's Master: INTJ
Pratt's Master: INTJ
Ainley's Master: ENTJ
Roberts' Master: INTJ
Jacobi's Master: INTP
Simm's Master: ENTJ (perhaps ENTP, but he plans far too meticulously for that) before going completely apeshit in The End of Time, a feral and mentally disturbed ENFP afterwards

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Doctor: ENTP
The Master: INTJ

I don't bother with the new series, it's pretty much a farce anyway. But in the entirety of the classic series, neither character changed type, despite the different mannerisms and focuses of different incarnations.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Simm's Master: ENTJ (perhaps ENTP, but he plans far too meticulously for that) before going completely apeshit in The End of Time, a feral and mentally disturbed ENFP afterwards
I still think ENFP. Perceivers aren't less capable of planning, it's just not their favoured mode of operating, and this one has in the Doctor an enemy of which he has to try to remain three steps ahead. Also remember that he is much more intelligent than humans are. So what might seem like painstaking planning would be quite straightforward for him. He comes up with these elaborate schemes in seconds, so that process doesn't require much time or effort. Simm's master is too playful and frivolous (e.g. wasting his time watching children's TV, taking his sweet time and taking risks when he's enjoying himself, even when the task is crucial) to be much of a Judger, especially a Te-dom IMO.

The scene captured in your avatar is one in which his powerful Fi is quite apparent, too. Would a Te-dom feel such passionate disdain for what the Cabinet did under the circumstances they were in? It's Fi that demands strict adherence to principles, Te counters that the ends can justify the means, even if the means indicate internal inconsistency. I think the Master's Fi appears to have the louder voice in his mind, by far. He even stubbornly refused to regenerate just because that would involve doing what the Doctor wanted. As long as their last moments together would entail the Doctor begging and him refusing, he believed he'd 'won', and that was worth it.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKT_sE4B7WI"]Cabinet scene[/YOUTUBE]

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I still think ENFP. Perceivers aren't less capable of planning, it's just not their favoured mode of operating, and this one has in the Doctor an enemy of which he has to try to remain three steps ahead.

Yes, but note that his main objective was to conquer Earth, and ultimately use it as a staging ground to conquer all of space. His main objective was not to torture the Doctor, that was merely an amusing bonus. He had no need to remain three steps ahead of Earth's population, but did so anyway.

compulsiverambler said:
Simm's master is too playful and frivolous (e.g. wasting his time watching children's TV, taking his sweet time and taking risks when he's enjoying himself, even when the task is crucial) to be much of a Judger, especially a Te-dom IMO.

I didn't see much risk-taking on his part at all - indeed, the only risk I can think of was letting 1% of the population be free from the Archangel Network's influence. Given that one would be branded insane to question the authority of 99% of the world and assume mass mind control on the part of the British Prime Minister, it was not a significant issue.

And how would watching The Teletubbies bar one from being a J, especially at a junction when all he could possibly have done was wait for the next day's "first contact" to occur? Also, bear in mind that the Master likely did not realize that it was a children's television program. He seemed to marvel at the fact that they had televisions in their stomachs, calling it the pinnacle of evolution. It was a reference to a Third Doctor-era serial called The Sea Devils, wherein Delgado's Master watched an episode of The Clangers and believed them to be an interesting form of extraterrestrial life.

compulsiverambler said:
The scene captured in your avatar is one in which his powerful Fi is quite apparent, too. Would a Te-dom feel such passionate disdain for what the Cabinet did under the circumstances they were in? It's Fi that demands strict adherence to principles, Te counters that the ends can justify the means, even if the means indicate internal inconsistency. I think the Master's Fi appears to have the louder voice in his mind, by far.

It was quite evidently far from genuine disdain. Statistically speaking, the majority of the Cabinet (likely all of them) were under the influence of the Archangel Network's mind control. This would mean that the Master had no genuine qualms about them (let alone 99% of Earth's population) "jumping on the Saxon bandwagon," being the very person who caused it. Rather, he seemed to care about them getting in the way of his intricate plan for galactic domination - that, and he found it funny. Note that he put his thumbs up in agreement when "you're insane!" was shouted.

compulsiverambler said:
He even stubbornly refused to regenerate just because that would involve doing what the Doctor wanted. As long as their last moments together would entail the Doctor begging and him refusing, he believed he'd 'won', and that was worth it.

Remember the Doctor's words: "Weapon, after weapon, after weapon. All you do is talk, and talk, and talk. But over all these years and all these disasters, I've always had the greatest secret of them all. I know you. You blow up those ships, you kill yourself. That's the one thing you can never do."

The Doctor was proven right in The End of Time, when the Master was revealed to have a contingency plan for bringing himself back from the dead (as he always does). Instead of letting himself die, he figured out a way to have his cake and eat it too - in advance, mind you.

Also, I forgot one incarnation of the Doctor: The Valeyard - ENTJ.