• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ "Intelligent" Myth

G

Ginkgo

Are you joking or being serious?

Joking. :heart:

My signature was quoted from INTJ123, a crazed conspiracy theorist who thought that somehow rotting rice proved his theories about the Illuminati and Freemasons. Actually, he never really had a thesis because his thoughts were so fragmented and jumbled, but I think he was a troll because he couldn't put forth a cohesive argument despite his fomenting zeal.

Look up the thread: "You Mindless Slaves"

I have no personal beef with INTJs. Actually, one of my closest friends right now is an INTJ and we gel pretty well. :) This thread is reactionary toward the "ESFP stupid Myth".

G

Ginkgo

This whole thread is Ego vs Altruism... and me, the lonely Id. :nerd:

Actually, I believe in a healthy blend. You can't be altruistic without self-preservation, and you can't preserve yourself without altruism. (At least, it's very difficult to function in a society that doesn't blend these elements together).

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And in the grand scheme of things, human history is utterly meaningless.

Well, if that isn't one huge value judgment, I don't know what is.

Simply stating reality. In one hundred million years, humanity will be extinct and forgotten. Even if we do survive that long, we cannot escape the inevitable heat death of the universe. Such is the way of things. We can keep trying to escape immutable fate, or embrace the life we currently have.

First: you know none of this (especially not the first part). It's all conjecture.

Second: you then equate your conjecturing with human history being meaningless.

That's a major logical jump... and it's a stupid one.

The only meaningful thing we have are the relationships we create among one another. Wouldn't you rather be remembered for the warmth and good-feelings you brought others, rather than yet another sacrifice on the altar of the false god Ego?

Sounds like a rather Fe-ish thing to say.

Not that I don't find relationships important, but who are you to say that they're the "only meaningful thing we have"?

Oh yes, once again, a value judgment. Believing itself to be a truth.

I once thought there were other things as equally important. I was wrong on that point. Denying this drained my very soul.

Well, I'm sorry that it drained your soul.

But that still doesn't make you right.

Arbitrary value judgments posing as truths: at least you're consistent, onemoretime.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ

My signature was quoted from INTJ123, a crazed conspiracy theorist who thought that somehow rotting rice proved his theories about the Illuminati and Freemasons. Actually, he never really had a thesis because his thoughts were so fragmented and jumbled, but I think he was a troll because he couldn't put forth a cohesive argument despite his fomenting zeal.

I have no personal beef with INTJs. Actually, one of my closest friends right now is an INTJ and we gel pretty well. :) This thread is reactionary toward the "ESFP stupid Myth".

Ah, I am relieved to see that you are joking lol, I was like damn bro. I know a few INTJs they're pretty sharp people, actually my girlfriend is an INTJ and I think shes awesome, not just because of her girl bits, but intellectually she is one of the sharpest people I know.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
First: you know none of this. It's all conjecture.

Second: you then equate it with human history being meaningless.

That's a major logical jump. And it's a stupid one.

It's not conjecture. It's hard scientific fact. It's literally impossible for it to be otherwise.

Sorry you can't see that.

Well, I'm sorry that it drained your soul.

But that still doesn't make you right.

Arbitrary value judgments posing as truths: at least you're consistent in that, onemoretime.

Et tu quoque.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
It's not conjecture. It's hard scientific fact. It's literally impossible for it to be otherwise.

It's hard scientific fact that mankind will not be here in 100 million years?

Guess what, dude: your "science" is bogus.

You've shown me the hypothesis: how about the repeatable and verifiable tests?

Et tu quoque.

Well, considering my interlocutor is apparently as mature as a 4-yr old saying, "I'm rubber, you're glue...", I guess there's really no point in trying to talk sense into him.

Jaguar

HAHAHAHA Go here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/graveyard/21534-you-mindless-slaves.html

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And in the grand scheme of things, human history is utterly meaningless.

Well, if that isn't one huge value judgment, I don't know what is.

Simply stating reality. In one hundred million years, humanity will be extinct and forgotten. Even if we do survive that long, we cannot escape the inevitable heat death of the universe. Such is the way of things. We can keep trying to escape immutable fate, or embrace the life we currently have.

First: you know none of this (especially not the first part). It's all conjecture.

Second: you then equate your conjecturing with human history being meaningless.

That's a major logical jump... and it's a stupid one.

Oh, also, even if it were true, you didn't deal with my criticism about your logical jump from "the universe is going to come to an end" to "human history is meaningless"...

:hi:

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I dont think that intelligence being attached to intjs is a myth at all. What was your motivation for posting this topic?Was it to cut us down to size by attacking the trait we most prize in ourselves?

Statistically in terms of intelligence intjs are a close second behind intps. I personally think its something you have against against intjs, perhaps the only intjs you know are the narcissistic unhealthy types, of course i could be wrong. You may have just come to a bad conclusion.

We all know (hopefully) that any individual of any type can be a genius or an idiot, however their are types that are on average more intelligent than others.

How are we a statistically "close second" behind INTPs? There isn't much data in terms of personality type and intellect to begin with, so I find it perplexing that you would state this. I have always been informed that statistics clearly indicate that INTPs are behind INTJs on IQ tests. Regardless, even if INTPs do, on average, score better on intellectual aptitude tests, they are almost certainly behind INTJs in terms of real world accomplishment.

Do you have any actual statistics to support this claim?

If not, don't degrade our type by claiming we are "second" to INTPs.

Never assert that we are "behind" any other type in any area - especially INTPs.

Some people don't deserve to be INTJs. :rolleyes:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Do you have any interest in Jungian psychology beyond validating your own delusions of grandeur? There are a lot more interesting applications for this topic than making yourself feel smart.

95% of your posts since joining have been debating the intelligence of INTJs.

Who gives a shit? Talk about something meaningful.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I've noticed a trend in television sitcoms for "intelligent" characters to be INTJs.
Notably, Stewy Griffin, Gandalf the Grey, Hannibal Lectar and Severus Snape.

Obviously this a stereotype unfounded in reality, but what is it about INTJs that makes Hollywood writers make them intelligent characters, or alternatively make intelligent characters into INTJs?
What myth?

Intelligence is INTJ.

Jaguar

don't degrade our type by claiming we are "second" to INTPs.
Never assert that we are "behind" any other type in any area - especially INTPs.

STRAIGHTJACKETESCAPE-FULL.jpg

Xenocide

MBTI Type
INTP
How are we a statistically "close second" behind INTPs? There isn't much data in terms of personality type and intellect to begin with, so I find it perplexing that you would state this. I have always been informed that statistics clearly indicate that INTPs are behind INTJs on IQ tests. Regardless, even if INTPs do, on average, score better on intellectual aptitude tests, they are almost certainly behind INTJs in terms of real world accomplishment.

Do you have any actual statistics to support this claim?

If not, don't degrade our type by claiming we are "second" to INTPs.

Some people don't deserve to be INTJs. :rolleyes:

Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality

Don't forget, statistics lie.

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Lex, thats from an academic article published in the 80's. It showed intjs slightly behind intps in intelligence, this was taken from a sample of 10,000 11th and 12th graders in high school. I would tell you the exact source but i dont remember it. I actually wrote some of the data from the study down but didnt think to write down the source. The study was conducted over 20 years ago and was taken from a relatively small data sample so it may not be entirely accurate, however it should not be too inaccurate, either way intps and intjs were the closest in terms of intelligence. Though as you stated intjs do tend to be a little bit more goal-oriented,which may possibly translate into more success(or more pecisely what is generally accepted by society as success). I cant say for certain that one type is more succesful than the other. Also the study was measuring the likelihood of the types to have an i.q. over 130, not directly measuring their i.q., I should have clarified that as well.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This is fully known to me (although I'm not sure if it will be 100 million years from now, or more or less), but I will take what I can get. I would rather my name live on for several centuries than being forgotten a decade after my death.

I focus on marking human history, not geologic or cosmic.

Well, don't worry.

Your name will be forgotten here as soon as you leave. I guarantee it.

---

To tell you the truth, whenever I read posts like yours, I'm stuck between two hypothesis:

1/ Either you are not serious, and hence welcome into the tribe, you prankster! :devil:

2/ Either you are serious, and then, it means somebody should really question your intelligence. You know, Aspergers's or Autists don't necessarily have high IQs: as a matter of fact, it's rather the opposite.

---

You know, two years ago I noticed the same trend in the INTJ-forum: they were obsessed with their (vastly exaggerated) IQ numbers. When you talk to them about IQs, most so-called INTJs that dwelt there suddenly turned completely irrational. Because:

1/ They quoted false studies from an unreliable source, who claimed to be INTJ himself, and whose blog is so ridiculously biased (politically speaking) it's difficult not to laugh at it. And yet, most INTJs from INTJ-f believed this to be adamant truth.
Only a few of them were honest and careful enough to make an enquiry and check the source... but when they showed their final findings, they were ignored or considered as trolls.

2/ The score most INTJs pretended to achieve on IQ tests is statistically impossible, or very, very, very unlikely (the probability that so much geniuses would discuss in the same forum in the same time was one out of many million). Which meant that most of them were consciously lying like dogs. Yet nobody dared to explain this paradox. I tried to explain them what the general theory of statistics meant, and how you should reason, mathematically speaking, but all I obtained was to ridicule their administrator in public, Jezebel, who just proved how insanely biased and irrational she really was.

But I have to admit it was fun to ridicule her, one of the best laughter I had for years while wandering on the internet. :rofl1:

---

Hence, my conclusion was rather simple: most INTJs who seem infatuated with their IQ-score are either very unhealthy, immature and no very bright variants of INTJ (at least not very bright in mathematics or in simple logic), or either they are NOT true INTJs.

What do you think?

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, don't worry.

Your name will be forgotten here as soon as you leave. I guarantee it.

---

To tell you the truth, whenever I read posts like yours, I'm stuck between two hypothesis:

1/ Either you are not serious, and hence welcome into the tribe, you prankster! :devil:

2/ Either you are serious, and then, it means somebody should really question your intelligence. You know, Aspergers's or Autists don't necessarily have high IQs: as a matter of fact, it's rather the opposite.

---

You know, two years ago I noticed the same trend in the INTJ-forum: they were obsessed with their (vastly exaggerated) IQ numbers. When you talk to them about IQs, most so-called INTJs that dwelt there suddenly turned completely irrational. Because:

1/ They quoted false studies from an unreliable source, who claimed to be INTJ himself, and whose blog is so ridiculously biased (politically speaking) it's difficult not to laugh at it. And yet, most INTJs from INTJ-f believed this to be true.
Only a few of them were honest and careful enough to make an enquiry and check the source... but when they showed their final findings, they were ignored or considered as trolls.

2/ The score most of INTJs pretended to achieve on IQ tests is statistically impossible, or very, very, very unlikely (the probability that so much geniuses would discuss in the same forum in the same time was one out of many million). Which meant that most of them were consciously lying like dogs. Yet nobody dared to explain this paradox. I tried to explain them what the general theory of statistics meant, and how you should reason, mathematically speaking, but all I obtained was to ridicule their administrator in public, Jezebel, who just proved how insanely biased and irrational she really was.

But I have to admit it was fun to ridicule her, one of the best laughter I had for years while wandering on the internet. :rofl1:

---

Hence, my conclusion was rather simple: most INTJs who seem infatuated with their IQ-score are either very unhealthy, immature and no very bright variants of INTJ (at least not very bright in mathematics or in simple logic), or either they are NOT true INTJs.

What do you think?

I'm going to ignore the first half of your comment, as it is irrelevant and is perforated with your own personal bias.

As for whether or not I believe that people (INTJs included) tend to exaggerate their IQs: absolutely. It's not just a belief, however, because as you've pointed out, it is a statistical certainty.

I'm referring to averages and probabilities, though. Averages and probabilities.

Besides, I'm only using IQ because it is the closest measure we have of intelligence. I have already implied in my earlier comments that IQ alone isn't enough to function "intelligently" in the real world, where personality governs the application of that IQ. Since personality and IQ are both necessary, I point out that INTJs are both predisposed to applying their intelligence successfully and having higher intelligence as a result.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I think you're kinda annoying, but I am interested in what kind of numbers these people were claiming...

?

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
@blackmail
Well the work i was quoting was based on actual numbers from face to face tests,not self-proclaimed numbers. I have posted several times on that forum and never came across a thread where people were expressly quoting their i.q numbers, perhaps you could give me the name of the thread so i could look it up.If it is not a consolidated thread it seems to me like it would be rather difficult to collect information about what the intjs on that forum thought their i.qs were.

I am certain their are a few individuals who are guilty of posting knowingly false i.q. scores but i doubt it is as common as you make it sound.