• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ "Intelligent" Myth

G

Ginkgo

Why the long face?

Where's the merit in being intelligent if you are already a member of "the intelligent type"? I'd prefer to be a male ESFP merit scholar than a INTJ merit scholar.

I think I'm going to go sign up as a lightweight in sumo wrestling so I can get some merit in an ass beating.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think I'm going to go sign up as a lightweight in sumo wrestling so I can get some merit in an ass beating.

You only get it if you win. And if you don't, no one will hold it against you cause you are not sumo-caliber deem-able.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
The interesting statistic is not the number but the proportion.

Yup.

I think it was like 16% of male National Merit Scholars were INTJ, when they make up only 3.3% of the male population.

Do you know where I can find this data?

It was in a book about typology.

All kinds of great statistics in it, regarding MBTI and:
- prestigious award winning
- education level
- course of study
- career choice

I'll find what book it is and let you know.

Last edited:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it's always fun to pull out the smarts on some snobby "intelligent" type whenever it seems fit :rolleyes:

plus, a lot of those merit kids get attitude, which could lead them to having a biased view of themselves which could lead to INTJ type in self reported testing! :devil:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
it's always fun to pull out the smarts on some snobby "intelligent" type whenever it seems fit :rolleyes:

plus, a lot of those merit kids get attitude, which could lead them to having a biased view of themselves which could lead to INTJ type in self reported testing! :devil:

Sounds like someone has an "I'm not an INTJ"-derived inferiority complex...

:newwink:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds like someone has an "I'm not an INTJ"-derived inferiority complex...

:newwink:

oh god no, I'd never go back that way again! :shock:

I'm just saying... when in high school and acheiving all that shit I tested as an ENTJ :newwink:

thankfully, I've moved in other directions since then and enjoy the little things in life much more! :)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
oh god no, I'd never go back that way again! :shock:

I'm just saying... when in high school and acheiving all that shit I tested as an ENTJ :newwink:

thankfully, I've moved in other directions since then and enjoy the little things in life much more! :)

Interesting...

Would you still be willing to peg tater?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol... I have my own ISTJ at home :laugh:

my point being, though, that since the MBTI is a self reporting test the type of kids who are likely to take their intellect and standardized tests (and the applicaiton process for the National Merit Scholarship :shock:) seriously, are probably the same type who will self report as an xNTJ... they usually relax a bit when older! :cheese:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sorry- you can have the test analysis part split if you want, I was being a bit of a :nerd: :blush:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, Ni would play a big part (huge part) in intelligence too, if we're going to talk functions.

Whenever I say huge I think of Tiger Woods' voicemail. :laugh:

Basically, well-developed thought and intuition processes would be a factor in intelligence.

Is it any wonder an NT would say that strong skills in iNtuition and Thinking are the hallmarks of intelligence? :steam:

Intelligence is multi-faceted and not measurable on a one-dimensional linear scale. NTs are good at one kind of intelligence--the NT kind.

Many of us, unfortunately, also have a nasty habit of dismissing all non-NT forms of intelligence as trivial or nonexistent.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it any wonder an NT would say that strong skills in iNtuition and Thinking are the hallmarks of intelligence? :steam:

Intelligence is multi-faceted and not measurable on a one-dimensional linear scale. NTs are good at one kind of intelligence--the NT kind.

Many of us, unfortunately, also have a nasty habit of dismissing all non-NT forms of intelligence as trivial or nonexistent.

Technically, Intelligence is. This being tendency of NT having more potential of "umbrella". We can learn social ability but it's pretty difficult to learn how the universe works.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
... and those of us who are intelligent realize that not all NTs have their heads up their asses :newwink:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INTP would be the other choice, but they are too out of touch with reality and people don't like that.

Fuck what people like. They just don't like it because they reside in reality. Since reality of little significance they observe they are less so when they see their reflexion/nonrecognition from the eyes of the INTP.

Reality is just a perception. What is really happening is within our brains.

My [imaginary] world my way. ;)

As far as INTJ characters/caricatures in the media...they are quick to conveniently pop into a time-slot that TV and movies have. A person might notice that in literature especially good literature there are brilliant isfjs, estps, enfps etc..not to mention a fair share of less than intellect arrogant intjs (maybe I am not a harsh judge of intelligence but admittedly I have never personally ran into or found a good character study of per se dumb intjs but plenty of twisted, misinformed and extremely arrogant ones. Dumb INTJs might be an interesting topic for a new thread)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Cold, emotionless, cruel, unlikable, unfriendly and narcissistic pricks.

And who fits the description the best out of all the MBTI types? ;)
INTPs.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^
Whose narcissistic?!?:steam:

;)