• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curb Your Enthusisam

Note

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm a big fan of Larry David's work. I myself am having difficulties figuring out my type, and Larry David's character in Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the few fictional personas I can really relate to. Maybe everyone can, maybe not.

I'm pretty sure he's an INTP or an ISTP.

I - Akward in social situations, but he isn't shy and isn't afraid to say what he wants. This could be both.

N - Also a bit ambiguous. Could be either.

T - Probably a T, since he always attempts to correct other people's behavior and debates using logical reasoning. This may also be F at work, analyzing people's motivations etc.

P - Definately a P, this one is without doubt. He constantly asks Cheryl to remember things for him, never really plans, etc.

Functions:

Ti is easily his most used function. This either means ISTP or INTP.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I just can't accept INFJ, because the whole show is based on his absence of any trace of Fe.

He's focused on systems, explaining principles, and identifying things he disagrees with. I'll say INTP.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I just can't accept INFJ, because the whole show is based on his absence of any trace of Fe.

He's focused on systems, explaining principles, and identifying things he disagrees with. I'll say INTP.

Most of those systems and principles have to do with social interaction and standards of behavior. INTPs tend to be completely unaware, rather than crusade against them. An INFJ with strong Ti is most likely to be that neurotic and conflicted.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Most of those systems and principles have to do with social interaction and standards of behavior. INTPs tend to be completely unaware, rather than crusade against them. An INFJ with strong Ti is most likely to be that neurotic and conflicted.

Yeah they do, but it's about him being at odds with social interaction and standards of behavior. I figure a reluctant INTP thrust into a environment like that would find themselves turning their system and principle focus on that. I was openly cynical about social standards back in high school when I was pretty socially active for an INTP.

As an INFJ, Fe is still auxiliary. And Ti seems stronger than tert or aux I think.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't watch that show. He really irritates me in the way that Woody Allen does. I think he's too neurotic to be INTP.
Maybe he's playing a NF's idea of an INTP. Or vice versa.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I always considered his character un-typeable. Nothing really seems to fit.

An INTP would wise up or withdraw sooner or later—he keeps going back for more with the same intensity.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I can't watch that show. He really irritates me in the way that Woody Allen does. I think he's too neurotic to be INTP.
Maybe he's playing a NF's idea of an INTP. Or vice versa.

Woody Allen annoys me too, but I don't see Larry David as being as frustratingly neurotic as him. Just more of a dick.

Do you like any sitcoms?

Did you at least like Seinfeld? :azdaja:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seinfield was bloody genius.

I know it's the same writer. I find the self-consciousness annoying. Perhaps I should persevere.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Seinfield was bloody genius.

I know it's the same writer. I find the self-consciousness annoying. Perhaps I should persevere.

Hits too close to home? ;)

At least give the last season a chance, the show has gotten progressively better. The early seasons I didn't think were that great, a little slow, and not enough enthusiasm.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

At least give the last season a chance, the show has gotten progressively better. The early seasons I didn't think were that great, a little slow, and not enough enthusiasm.

Dunno. I like Gervais and I'm a big fan of Armando Iannucchi.
We have perfected raw self-consciousness. You guys always look like you're just faking it. :p

Little_Sticks

I love this guy. He's a such an asinine prick with people because he's so clueless. It's great. In his fictional character, I mean.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I always considered his character un-typeable. Nothing really seems to fit.

An INTP would wise up or withdraw sooner or later�he keeps going back for more with the same intensity.

If he was typed as anything, it'd be an INFJ. He's a distorted one. Mostly because Larry David as a person is an INFJ, and the show is basically how he'd be if he was bolder, badder, and spoke up more. Often INFJ feel like this guy does, especially when they studied heavy Ti things throughout their life (philosophy) like this guy did, but restrain from doing anything because their Fe says otherwise.

Larry David's Fe is shut down for this role....of a stronger self.

Overall, though, I'd have to say this is the best show on TV in the last 10 years.

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NGggshaTwE&feature=related"]Larry David[/youtube]

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Oh yeah. I watched a couple episodes, just for you, aj.

Couldn't finish them.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
If I had to guess, I'd say that his character on the show is "insecure INTP who tries *way* too hard". I admit that I finally gave up on this show. I was watching the DVD's, and got into season 4 or 5 and gave up. It had its moments, but both Larry and Cheryl's characters drove me nuts, and I absolutely hated how it tended to devolve into several people shouting over each other at least once or twice an episode (it's like I as a viewer was expected to find this funny... and didn't). Loved Seinfeld, but this went a bit too far for me to find it enjoyable.

FlamingMask

MBTI Type
INTp
I've thought about this a bit (and argued with some of my friends who watch the show). It seems to me like Larry is an ENTP.

E: The guy certainly has trouble pleasing people, but I wouldn't call him a misanthrope. He doesn't dislike people, but he does dislike social rituals he finds pointless or silly. My main arguments for E are 1) He doesn't spend that much time alone in the show and doesn't seem to need to recharge by doing so and 2) His observational humor (which he often uses in inappropriate circumstances) seems firmly rooted in Ne. He seems practically unable to dial down the Extraverted Intuition.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrWiWrhID4o&feature=related"][/YOUTUBE]

N: In short, he seems to use large amounts of Ne and I've pegged him (as many others have) as an NT, which is supported by his relative disregard for and ineptitude with social cues and convention.

T: If he's an NT, he's got to be T, but he comes across as T because of his run-ins with people due to his callous or ignorant behavior. Also, when he does get neurotic and self-critical, it seems to stem from Ti.

P: Larry does not make plans well and many of his problems arise from improvising tasks others ask of him or changing his mind when someone (usually Jeff) convinces him that something is okay when it isn't. When he is decisive and adamant about something, it seems more likely a result of some violated NT-principle than any inherent J-ness.

Anyway, that's my view on Larry David (who by the way, has stated that the character in the show is just an exaggeration of his real life self).

What do you guys think about the other characters on the show?

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
If he was typed as anything, it'd be an INFJ. He's a distorted one. Mostly because Larry David as a person is an INFJ, and the show is basically how he'd be if he was bolder, badder, and spoke up more. Often INFJ feel like this guy does, especially when they studied heavy Ti things throughout their life (philosophy) like this guy did, but restrain from doing anything because their Fe says otherwise.

Larry David's Fe is shut down for this role....of a stronger self.

Overall, though, I'd have to say this is the best show on TV in the last 10 years.

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NGggshaTwE&feature=related"]Larry David[/youtube]

What the fuck was I talking about. He is an ENTx

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
And what about the other cast members?