• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are we over-assigning N to people here?

Are we over-assigning N to people here?

• Total voters

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Assuming we are 'over-assigning' N to people here, on what criteria do you want to base which ones are 'real' and which ones are 'imagined'?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My last calculation actually put the N population here at 80%.

And yes, we are almost surely over-assigning that letter. I have no particular people to name, it's something I estimate must be happening.

Here are some thoughts I wrote on this in another thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/1030176-post13.html

I mention some reasons for there being more Ns that don't have to do with misidentification, but most of the post is.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Assuming we are 'over-assigning' N to people here, on what criteria do you want to base which ones are 'real' and which ones are 'imagined'?

Go back to the basics. Does the person appear to mentally live in the now and attend to the present? Do they use concrete information in communication? Do they focus on patterns and connections? Live in the future?

And in addition to the bias, I think some artists put out false INFPish characteristics. But maybe that's just my own bias.

G

garbage

Objective and accurately measurable typing criteria, such as the following:

--
If you want a more accurate depiction of type, you have to start with better overall definitions. If the definitions are completely biased, inapplicable, useless, nebulous, or outright terrible in other ways--which they tend to be at times--nobody's going to identify with them and thus the demographics are going to be skewed.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I personally think that being S would be awesome. But I doubt I am....:cry:

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Go back to the basics. Does the person appear to mentally live in the now and attend to the present? Do they use concrete information in communication? Do they focus on patterns and connections? Live in the future?

Yeah I agree. Some people overanalyze it. But the subject material doesn't support said overanlysis.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
N's are more prevalent on this forum obviously, and are probably leaning toward being more interested in 'N' things, which are often made by 'N' people. Not always, but just maybe.

If you're talking about assigning types to famous people, it's probably because intuition is more common amongst artists (writers, musicians, etc.) Also, maybe there's a reason that N's are overrepresented in books/movies? I don't think it's that we're typing wrong, I think it's that writers of fiction tend to create more N characters, perhaps because the writers tend to be N's themselves.

I think these are two good explanations. There still may be an N bias in typing because so many are iNuitives here, but I think Keirsey, for instance, over-assigns SP to anyone with a shred of artistic talent.

Becoming a famous musician or artist is actually doing something out in the real world. And since sensors are already 75% of the population, I think they might be the majority of artists. Well, SPs.

Eh, the "real world" doesn't consider art "something" unless you're famous from it, and a lot people get to that point out of pure chance.... You'll see many of the best song-writers and actors discuss how they were not ambitious at all, but there was some other person pushing the business aspect who made their talent lucrative/known.

And if we're generalizing, NJs DO make stuff happen and can be quite ambitious, probably more than your average ISFP.

Many artists are not prolific anyway....

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Eh, the "real world" doesn't consider art "something" unless you're famous from it, and a lot people get to that point out of pure chance.... You'll see many of the best song-writers and actors discuss how they were not ambitious at all, but there was some other person pushing the business aspect who made their talent lucrative/known.

And if we're generalizing, NJs DO make stuff happen and can be quite ambitious, probably more than your average ISFP.

Many artists are not prolific anyway....

Some kinds of art don't really require the artist to whore themselves out to get noticed, well not extreme whoring (painting vs. pop rock). But networking always helps. And yeah ENJs can make great networkers.

I guess this doesn't apply to starving artists.

michL87

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I guess this doesn't apply to starving artists.

Since we're typing the famous ones, it applies to them and not starving artists. I think NJ's are more likely to see the big picture of what they want to accomplish, set the end goal for themselves of how they want to get there, and then throw themselves out there to get it.

For example, an SP friend and I both want to be novelists. She writes occasionally--"when inspired"--and can never seem to finish a book. She doesn't stay on the same project for long enough to do so. Her writing is pretty, as she focuses on finding the perfect words to describe the surroundings of her characters, but she told me she has trouble finding the big picture of her story.

I set a goal to write a book with the specific idea of what I wanted it to be, set an amount I had to write a day, and started on my goal. In less than a year I had an edited book and a credible literary agent. (I'm still waiting to hear back from publishers!)

But anyway, the point. NJ's are more likely to focus on that end goal of publication and learning everything they can do to achieve it, whereas SP's are more interested in the process of getting there. Of course this isn't a given with everyone -- there are successful SP writers -- but it could be a starting point.

And I'm still sticking with my theory that because there are more N writers, they are more likely to create N characters :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
About 25% of people are Ns, but in these threads, N gets assigned to about 75% of people, it seems. Introversion too, a lot. Is it because since we're a bunch of Ns, that we just like typing other Ns, or is it a bias that makes us want to type people we like as Ns like us?

Are artists putting out false N vibes of appearing "deep" and introspective, but are not?

Ne is shallow as is Se.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Ne is shallow as is Se.

It's really... not. Unless the definition of Ne isn't what Ne actually is. :shock:

edit: ENTPs and ENFPs can be pretty damn shallow though. :yes:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Since we're typing the famous ones, it applies to them and not starving artists. I think NJ's are more likely to see the big picture of what they want to accomplish, set the end goal for themselves of how they want to get there, and then throw themselves out there to get it.

For example, an SP friend and I both want to be novelists. She writes occasionally--"when inspired"--and can never seem to finish a book. She doesn't stay on the same project for long enough to do so. Her writing is pretty, as she focuses on finding the perfect words to describe the surroundings of her characters, but she told me she has trouble finding the big picture of her story.

I set a goal to write a book with the specific idea of what I wanted it to be, set an amount I had to write a day, and started on my goal. In less than a year I had an edited book and a credible literary agent. (I'm still waiting to hear back from publishers!)

But anyway, the point. NJ's are more likely to focus on that end goal of publication and learning everything they can do to achieve it, whereas SP's are more interested in the process of getting there. Of course this isn't a given with everyone -- there are successful SP writers -- but it could be a starting point.

And I'm still sticking with my theory that because there are more N writers, they are more likely to create N characters :)

Good points.

I definitely think Ns are more likely to be writers. And Innies.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I think this over-assigning N phenomenon occurs most with IxxJs. It's so much more "enigmatic" and "mystical" and "deep" to be an Ni dom than a "boring" "conservative" "shallow-minded" Si dom. The contrast that people stigmatize between Si and Ni is like the contrast between Sloppy Joe's and filet mignon.

Over-assignment of N doesn't occur so much with ESPs, because Se is still highly-prized (just in a different way than Ne), and Se-doms are very proud of their "bad-ass" Se. Also, those with auxiliary S functions (ESJs or ISPs) still have their tert N-function to make up for the "lame S" stigma.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's really... not. Unless the definition of Ne isn't what Ne actually is. :shock:

edit: ENTPs and ENFPs can be pretty damn shallow though. :yes:

Depends on how you look at it. Your edit and original post is mixing contexts of the word shallow without really checking what I am talking about, sounds kinda shallow:shock:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think this over-assigning N phenomenon occurs most with IxxJs. It's so much more "enigmatic" and "mystical" and "deep" to be an Ni dom than a "boring" "conservative" "shallow-minded" Si dom. The contrast that people stigmatize between Ni and Si is like the contrast between Sloppy Joe's and filet mignon.

Over-assignment of N doesn't occur so much with ESPs, because Se is still highly-prized (just in a different way than Ne), and Se-doms are very proud of their "bad-ass" Se. Also, those with auxiliary S functions (ESJs or ISPs) still have their tert N-function to make up for the "lame S" stigma.

Yup, if Si was a genre of music it would be gentle elevator music.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Depends on how you look at it. Your edit and original post is mixing contexts of the word shallow without really checking what I am talking about, sounds kinda shallow:shock:

Mixing contexts is Ne. ;)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i'm not over-assigning N to people, but some of them are.

do i care? nope. not unless they start talking for me. then i care.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Yup, if Si was a genre of music it would be gentle elevator music.

Yeah, errr...

That's supposed to be Ni as the filet mignon and Si as the sloppy joe. I fucked that order up.