• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are we over-assigning N to people here?

Are we over-assigning N to people here?

• Total voters

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
In art, generally I find that N's are more interested in subtext -- the work in some way reflects a lot of underlying connections moreso than the actual observable detail of the work. S's are more interested in the actual elements themselves. In general.

<3 I volunteer to teach art in my kid's classes 5 times a year. This is always how I teach it.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Fi rooles don't apply to everyone. Not everyone agrees with your random phrase that supposedly makes all your nonsensical posts ok.

I will speak your langauge then.. You are an E.. shouldn't you be out drinking coffee at Starbucks and planning your next party.. after all it's Saturday .. what on earth is such a social butterfly doing spending the best years of her life arguing with people she doesn't know on the internet??

Does that feel better for you?:newwink:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It's amazing that you know so much about me from one post. I am amazed by your wisdom. I'm also amazed that you didn't frame it as being "your opinion" of who I am. But I guess you just throw some stupid rule out as a way to ignore people's points, you don't need to abide by your own rule.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I will speak your langauge then.. You are an E.. shouldn't you be out drinking coffee at Starbucks and planning your next party.. after all it's Saturday .. what on earth is such a social butterfly doing spending the best years of her life arguing with people she doesn't know on the internet??

Does that feel better for you?:newwink:

was this a joke?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Trust him, it is poor incorrect logic.

For example toward your logic only a few percent of great scientist in history would be NTs. So I hope that you can see the hole in your logic.

And yet I find holes in their logic that if they relate to someone it can only mean they share they same type.

What sounds more like nonsense? Being open to any possibility and not claiming to have everything figured out to how it suits my perceptions..
or claiming I do??

I mean if we are all so smart and have all the answers what exactly are we doing on here? Shouldn't we be out building the better mousetrap or creating the next David statue? Why aren't you disproving the theory of gravity.
why isn't Mensa trolling this site recriuting you all?..
how many of you have contracts with Random House because they can't wait to get your insight into print and share it with the masses?

Please dont feed me spam and call steak ok?? I know the difference.

We only want to be special.. but we aren't. Otherwise someone, somewhere would have caught on by now.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's amazing that you know so much about me from one post. I am amazed by your wisdom. I'm also amazed that you didn't frame it as being "your opinion" of who I am. But I guess you just throw some stupid rule out as a way to ignore people's points, you don't need to abide by your own rule.

I said I was going to speak your langauge for once .. and when I do, you start asking why I am not speaking mine..

Says the girl who thinks she has me all figured out.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
was this a joke?

I posted in a thread about enfp/enfj that NFs aren't built for "thick skins" - we have other strengths to cultivate and that it's a waste to focus on that. I guess I was boxing in No Exit saying that about NFs. Apparently making any broad statement about a group of people is bad. I told him to read some victor threads but he hasn't jumped on that wagon yet, I guess.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
<3 I volunteer to teach art in my kid's classes 5 times a year. This is always how I teach it.

as opposed to when I had to write papers in art history and looked at what pigments were used to create what colors, the lights and shadows that were used and the social context of the painting... I always thought that the in depth analysis of symbolism, unless it was used in an intentional manner, was overdoing it- like when I had to read some piece of literary criticism that stated that a girl climbing down from her perch in a tree and going home meant that she'd rejected the phallic symbol of manhood and became a lesbian :shock:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
It was sarcasim.. not everyone finds it funny..

I posted in a thread about enfp/enfj that NFs aren't built for "thick skins" - we have other strengths to cultivate and that it's a waste to focus on that. Apparently I was boxing in No Exit saying that about NFs. Apparently making any broad statement about a group of people is bad. I told him to read some victor threads but he hasn't jumped on that wagon yet, I guess.

ohhh. i see.

i had to ask because, believe it or not, i've had people ask me the same thing and the same way. it seems over the top, but to some, it's an actual position.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
as opposed to when I had to write papers in art history and looked at what pigments were used to create what colors, the lights and shadows that were used and the social context of the painting... I always thought that the in depth analysis of symbolism, unless it was used in an intentional manner, was overdoing it- like when I had to read some piece of literary criticism that stated that a girl climbing down from her perch in a tree and going home meant that she'd rejected the phallic symbol of manhood and became a lesbian :shock:

Oh, I don't do that either - I'm definitely not a "meaning" person unless it's documented that the artist said it.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I posted in a thread about enfp/enfj that NFs aren't built for "thick skins" - we have other strengths to cultivate and that it's a waste to focus on that. I guess I was boxing in No Exit saying that about NFs. Apparently making any broad statement about a group of people is bad. I told him to read some victor threads but he hasn't jumped on that wagon yet, I guess.

ALL ENFPs are closed minded, oversensitive know it alls who react to things before they have all the relavent information, especially female ENFPs from OHIO.. let's see how you like genralizations now then.. :yes:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
actually, that used to be a small pet peeve of mine; one i've had to learn to just let go of. when so many entps speak for me and all other entps. so many times, i've gritted my teeth while reading something written by another 'entp' because it wasn't true at all, and now that 'information' is out there. false and throwing off everyone who follows later and reads it. and, if that's not bad enough, then later, after spreading all of those 'facts', they change their type.

but, i can't go around saying, "stop speaking for all entps" every time, so i've had to let it go. to do anything else would be a losing battle.

basically, it's made it to where telling anyone that i'm an entp doesn't do anything to bring us closer (and maybe even further apart) because god knows what they think they know about me based on something they read or was told.

oh well.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
actually, that used to be a small pet peeve of mine; one i've had to learn to just let go of. when so many entps speak for me and all other entps. so many times, i've gritted my teeth while reading something written by another 'entp' because it wasn't true at all, and now that 'information' is out there. false and throwing off everyone who follows later and reads it. and, if that's not bad enough, then later, after spreading all of those 'facts', they change their type.

but, i can't go around saying, "stop speaking for all entps" every time, so i've had to let it go. to do anything else would be a losing battle.

basically, it's made it to where telling anyone that i'm an entp doesn't do anything to bring us closer (and maybe even further apart) because god knows what they think they know about me based on something they read or was told.

oh well.
EXACTLY!!!!
It's still a big pet peeve of mine.. But I am working on it.. Hopefully one day I will let it go as you have..

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

oh well.
^^ tis true.

That process of speaking for everyone of a type distorts understanding quite a bit, I think. I have trouble bringing myself to declare one type because I find two pigeon holes provides a little more potential understanding than just one. That way the person reading a post can choose which set of stereotypes best apply to me at the time. I'm not sure people consciously realize just how much like clay a given post is which can be molded in their perceptions based on what type they think the person is and overlay all its accompanying stereotypes.

I was in a debate months ago in which everything I said was in almost complete agreement with the position of someone who was an SJ. The individual we were debating against responded to the SJ post with comments like "typical Sensor", "reign in the Fe why don't you", etc. They responded positively to mine saying it was insightful and intuitive. In my estimation we were saying THE SAME THING. Perhaps I should have made a pointed issue out of it, but instead I saw it as a lost cause and left the thread not to return. It actually annoyed me quite a bit. Perceptions that are willfully distorted through a prejudicial lens can at times exasperate me, but it is something that must be let go of because what can change it? If there isn't a common reference point then there is no meeting ground to negotiate, grow, or increase understanding. Than again, that willful blindness is also part of reality and must be responded to in the most constructive way which in many cases is simply letting go.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
^^ tis true.

That process of speaking for everyone of a type distorts understanding quite a bit, I think. I have trouble bringing myself to declare one type because I find two pigeon holes provides a little more potential understanding than just one. That way the person reading a post can choose which set of stereotypes best apply to me at the time. I'm not sure people consciously realize just how much like clay a given post is which can be molded in their perceptions based on what type they think the person is and overlay all its accompanying stereotypes.

I was in a debate months ago in which everything I said was in almost complete agreement with the position of someone who was an SJ. The individual we were debating against responded to the SJ post with comments like "typical Sensor", "reign in the Fe why don't you", etc. They responded positively to mine saying it was insightful and intuitive. In my estimation we were saying THE SAME THING. Perhaps I should have made a pointed issue out of it, but instead I saw it as a lost cause and left the thread not to return. It actually annoyed me quite a bit. Perceptions that are willfully distorted through a prejudicial lens can at times exasperate me, but it is something that must be let go of because what can change it? If there isn't a common reference point then there is no meeting ground to negotiate, grow, or increase understanding. Than again, that willful blindness is also part of reality and must be responded to in the most constructive way which in many cases is simply letting go.

very well put.

i can't help but give this issue weight when i think about how others come here when they are looking for answers because of someone they know or even themselves. to read and figure out their own type or another's, naturally using comparisons as one way.

i'm reminded of it every time someone comes to these forums and asks for advice. it drives home, for me, just how much weight they put on what they read.

ugh. it's like being unable to stop a teacher teaching a class of first graders that the world is flat.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it really doesn't help when you become annoyed at people lumping ALL people of a certain letter together either... you just get stuck arguing with some silly kid who thinks that it's obviously true :doh:

Luckily, I don't really MIND any of the other ESTPs here enough to be really irked by that! :cheese: