• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

David Bowie?

David Bowie's Personality Type?

• Total voters

DaRick

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am a casual fan of David Bowie's work, particularly the period from 1971-83 (Hunky Dory to Let's Dance). The man behind the masks (from dance-pop to piano-driven rock to ambient electronica to hard rock) has always fascinated me, though. I have always wondered what his personality type could be. I've heard types as disparate as ISFP and ENFJ. On my part? I believe that he's an ENTP. I'll use the four Jung ENTP preferences to prove my theory:

Extraverted Intution:
Well, as we all know, Bowie is a 'musical chameleon', changing his musical output depending on changing tastes (the declining popularity of glam rock), internal strife (drugs leading him to Berlin with Iggy Pop, resulting in the Berlin trilogy) and even on personal whims. For instance, he moved into Philly soul over the course of two albums (including Diamond Dogs), just before glam rock's popularity declined. He also realised the popularity of dance-pop in the early 1980's and exploited it to gain hiherto unreached commercial success with Let's Dance. He also intermittently planned movies, at least one of which he failed to complete (the Diamond Dogs movie) and also acts in movies as diverse as fantasies (Labyrinth) and period films (The Prestige).

Introverted Thinking:
Bowie uses Introverted Thinking, as his auxillary function, to reach logical decisions as to which musical direction he should take next. This is why Bowie is so visionary in his ability to popularise (to varying degrees) and thus rake in either cash, attention, critical acclaim, or all three. Bowie arguably used Introverted Thinking to move to Berlin in the mid-1970's in an effort to escape his drug addiction. He moved there out of principle - the then-underground German krautrock was something he had not yet played with, therefore compelling him to experiment with it, even to the point of influencing Iggy Pop's 1977 releases. He certainly didn't move there for practical reasons; the music he created, while (surprisingly) financially and critically successful, could not match Station to Station commercially. I say this because Bowie could be as commercially calculated as any other musician. The 'Berlin Trilogy' also created music which I would refer to as 'abstract'; much of it consisting of instrumentals, which, to my understanding (I dislike instrumentals), were electronica, ambient and avant-garde.

Extraverted Feeling:
Despite this being Bowie's teritary function, Bowie's Extraverted Feeling does appear to be well-developed. For instance, in several interviews, he does come across as somewhat affable. This function allows him to justify entertaining and thus stay loyal to his fans, as he has done for over 40 years. He also helped Iggy Pop out when he was struggling financially by re-recording China Girl to considerable commercial success (Bowie's version is also better), allowing Iggy, as a co-writer, to take home a royalty cheque and then rebuild his life.

Introverted Sensing:
Bowie's inferior function - and it sometimes shows. Bowie has intermittenly shown a lack of awareness of musical norms during different time periods (i.e - releasing electronica and avant-garde albums during the punk era). He also released albums with 'Tin Machine' during a time where the worlds of hair metal and then grunge held sway. He also only reflects on the past when prodded and keeps changing his account of what occured, particularly with his bisexuality. A dominant Si, conversely, would use the present to evoke what was with precision (like my mother does). However, Bowie has often acknowledged musical norms, releasing glam rock and Phily soul when those two genres were commercially viable. So, his Si isn't as badly developed as it could be.

In summary, then, I believe that David Bowie is a fairly well-developed ENTP, except during those periods when he fell into drug abuse. Visionary, influental...yep, that's Bowie for ya! :)

Last edited:

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I enjoyed reading your assessment, DaRick! I know David Bowie is a thinker... and I often wondered if he was introverted/extroverted. No time to think about this... *heading to work* =)

DaRick

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I enjoyed reading your assessment, DaRick! I know David Bowie is a thinker... and I often wondered if he was introverted/extroverted.

Really? To me, this aspect of his personality seemed quite evident - he seems to enjoy interacting with people. I suppose that's why he seems affable in interviews. But thanks for the plaudit. :)

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Maybe he is...

Really? To me, this aspect of his personality seemed quite evident - he seems to enjoy interacting with people. I suppose that's why he seems affable in interviews. But thanks for the plaudit. :)

Well, I guess I am basing a lot of my observations on all the books I have read about him. He enjoyed being alone, but he does enjoy people. I have always thought maybe he had learned to enjoy people (sort of like me).

I know he hated being on stage, so that is why he developed "characters". He has stated that these "characters" helped him be something that he was not.

He also stated that he felt like an alien.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Like Sandy, I worship David Bowie. I would have guessed him to be an STP? But what do I know! :D He's just impossibly cool, period.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I could be wrong...

Like Sandy, I worship David Bowie. I would have guessed him to be an STP? But what do I know! :D He's just impossibly cool, period.

...however I am leaning towards ISTP, too. :smile:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
David Bowie is super tough to figure-out because he is a man of personas.
He also spent some portion of his public life psychotically whacked-out on cocaine. I said that it was hard to guess celebrities because of their image.
It couldn't be harder than with Bowie.

I think he is an Introvert. He's probably not a J...
The two in the middle stump me.

As far as Enneagram goes, I could be wrong, but I've tended to think that he is the model of 4/3.

DaRick

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
ENTP? :huh:

I call ISFP and a clear-cut one at that :yes: : 1974 interview

I wouldn't put much store by that interview - given that he was apparently abusing cocaine at that time. To prove that point, ENTP's apparently turn into ISFJ's (their shadow) when under extreme illness, stress, etc. Assuming that drug abuse falls into the category of extreme illness, ISFP is pretty close to ISFJ. I assume that he only retained his P because his livelihood and reputation more or less forced him too. I would also say that his P is the strongest of his traits, thus making it less likely that he would transform into a 'negative' J. Also, he helped Iggy Pop in 1977 more because he wanted to use him as a musical 'guinea pig' - a clear sign of Introverted Thinking overpowering his Extraverted Feeling.

Sandy said:
Well, I guess I am basing a lot of my observations on all the books I have read about him. He enjoyed being alone, but he does enjoy people. I have always thought maybe he had learned to enjoy people (sort of like me).

I know he hated being on stage, so that is why he developed "characters". He has stated that these "characters" helped him be something that he was not.

He also stated that he felt like an alien.

Well, you are a much bigger Bowie buff than I am. But I still think he's an extrovert - his lyrical themes are occassionally introspective and self-focused ('Changes' and 'Sound and Vision'), but more often than not, they tend to be focused on others and his attitude towards them ('The Jean Genie' on Iggy Pop, 'Life on Mars', 'China Girl'). I still think his exploitation of 'characters' and his ability to popularise music, his influence and seemingly reliance on principles, apparent friendliness and dodgy recollections of the past still makes him an ENTP. After all, we know that he changed 'characters' explicity to fit in with whatever music he was using, thus allowing him a fresh change of 'character' every few years. But why did he feel like an alien?

PinkPiranha said:
I would have guessed him to be an STP?

I agree with the TP, but why the S?

Magic Poriferan said:
He also spent some portion of his public life psychotically whacked-out on cocaine. I said that it was hard to guess celebrities because of their image.

As far as Enneagram goes, I could be wrong, but I've tended to think that he is the model of 4/3.

I agree...Bowie is a hard case. That's why I decided to crack him wide open. ;) He's no J, I agree. Also, Enneagram doesn't necessarily have to correlate with MBTI. For instance, I keep receiving 4w5 with the Enneagram - uncommon amongst INTJ's, I believe.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
David Bowie

Husband and I were just watching Bowie at the Isle of Wright festival and as I'm wondering if he's an INFJ he starts singing, "I wish you could swim, like the dolphins". I then say OH, well if he's talking about dolphins then he must be an INFJ! ;)

Anyone have any other ideas?

PS This man looks unbelievably hot for a 61 year old! :wubbie:

DavidBowie.jpg

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Husband and I were just watching Bowie at the Isle of Wright festival and as I'm wondering if he's an INFJ he starts singing, "I wish you could swim, like the dolphins". I then say OH, well if he's talking about dolphins then he must be an INFJ! ;)

Anyone have any other ideas?

PS This man looks unbelievably hot for a 61 year old! :wubbie:

DavidBowie.jpg
I dunno... I still think he's an ISTP but I could be wrong. I think Mr. Bowie is timeless... :wubbie: I have loved this man for... um... 30+ years. Whoa...

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
entj, very j despite changing often, Te takeovers, hyper aware of the categories behind everything, Ni horseshoe tosses and strange wormholes, tertiary Se, inferior Fi ('cept for hunky dory!) (emotional subjective groundedness, relational sense of self, etc)

how did he write kooks tho, what is the story of that?

Rayquesto

MBTI Type
INTP
I would have every reason to believe David Bowie is ISFP for a lot of reasons. Let's first take a closer look at the feeling function versus the thinking function and what music plays a role in more. Obviously, David Bowie is an artist and he has always had a passion for music, as I can recall. If he were more of a thinker, the passion for more thinking involving activities which include math, science, psychology, or something which requires heavy analysis to participate in would be much higher. The music "hobby" would not necessarily die, however, the thinking function would have probably put Bowie in a much different field of work. When doing something art related, the better the function of feeling, the better you will continue the job and want to advance, but put together with the sensory aspect of the art work, your desire to even care for putting art work together becomes rather obsessive....WARHOLIC! I actually don't believe I need to go further. I would believe from these aspects alone, David Bowie is an ISFP and by god, does his some of his music have a special place in my hide out and somewhat dark parts of my heart so to speak.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually went to david lee roth's house. It was cool

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

3w4 not 4w3

VenusGx

MBTI Type
INFP
Bowie is an INTJ all the way. Here's why...

Bingo! A paradox of starry-eyed idealist and bitter cynic, ambitious and original ideas with formidable willpower and force of personality, radiating self-confidence and an aura of mystery, bent on deconstructing and rebuilding every idea and system they come into contact with... Bowie is an INTJ all the way!!