• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

David Bowie?

David Bowie's Personality Type?

• Total voters

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kanye might be more Fi too. Hard to say, I'm less familiar with his music. I think Fi users are more likely to be misunderstood, whilst NiFe types might be more likely feel misunderstood. I'm talking out of my ass. It's probably a bit of both for each.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NFJ, probably INFJ because he seems introverted and more of a perceiving dominant.
I think he is 3w4 too, not a 4. He is a chameleon, a performer. He didn't seem like he wanted to be known outside of an image. With INFJs, when image types, it seems like their image is more of the drive behind the art than the art itself. 4s can certainly can cop an image and create a character (or many) but there is always something personal about them. Their personal meaning is communicated via an image or artwork. It's a means, not the end. Bowie didn't seem concerned with being personal, IMO. I am absolutely vibe typing now. In interviews, he vibes a bit like Daniel Day Lewis (INFJ 4) to me.

rav3n

NFJ, probably INFJ because he seems introverted and more of a perceiving dominant.
I think he is 3w4 too, not a 4. He is a chameleon, a performer. He didn't seem like he wanted to be known outside of an image. With INFJs, when image types, it seems like their image is more of the drive behind the art than the art itself. 4s can certainly can cop an image and create a character (or many) but there is always something personal about them. Their personal meaning is communicated via an image or artwork. It's a means, not the end. Bowie didn't seem concerned with being personal, IMO. I am absolutely vibe typing now. In interviews, he vibes a bit like Daniel Day Lewis (INFJ 4) to me.
Bowie is quite vague and tends to tail off like INFPs. If you compare him with DDL and Robert Pattinson, he's far more like the latter where DDL is more precise and similar to Benedict Cumberbatch.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bowie is quite vague and tends to tail off like INFPs. If you compare him with DDL and Robert Pattinson, he's far more like the latter where DDL is more precise and similar to Benedict Cumberbatch.

I don't buy Pattinson as INFP. Probably ISFP, but maybe you're making the case for that. When I mean vibe, I mean the whole demeanor and energy. Bowie doesn't feel dreamy like INFPs almost always do. INFJs have a more focused look in the eye.

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFx, for sure. I don't have much clue about P or J in his case.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That's (the bolded) what I was trying to get at, you just said it more coherently than I could.

While it can be dangerous to type an artist based on their work, I think it's helpful in Bowie's case, since he was a very private man and didn't reveal a lot to the public world (except what he wanted to reveal; he could be very tactful and clever in how he could play interviewers, especially in his later years).

Take Lennon's lyrics. He seemed to value bearing his soul and values in his lyrics. He may have been intensely private, but you can get a very good sense of who he was from listening to his lyrics, especially in late Beatles and his solo material. He bore his soul. He's more or less singing his values and experience (which he usually confirmed when asked in interviews).

Bowie let very little of himself out in his lyrics (at least not directly). Bowie seemed to know others better than he ever knew himself. He didn't bear his soul so much as he bore his emotions. Take "Heroes", which despite being regarded as an anthem, is really, at its heart, a love song about two lovers in Berlin. He's singing more through characters in his songs, he's singing about the human condition reflected through his perspective, and from there, it generates a great capacity for emotion and expression in his music, whereas it's almost the opposite of that with Lennon. Lennon relied more on his own emotions and values to muse and reflect on the human experience. I think an INFJ better understands themself through how they understand others, and it shows in Bowie's music. I think an INFP better understands others through how they understand themself, and it shows in Lennon's music. They're going for similar goals, but via different routes.

When Lennon showed his socially conscious side, i.e. with a Bed-in, even though some may have balked, his fans generally adored him and idolized him. I think it was a very frank and honest expression of his values when he spoke his mind. And he didn't give a shit if it offended. Whereas Bowie showing his socially conscious side maybe seemed more awkward and artificial, no matter how sincere he was. Seems a pitfall INFJs sometimes face. People didn't want to worship Bowie for being socially conscious, they wanted to worship him for being a rock and roll messiah. Although Lennon faced a similar unwanted worship as a pseudo messiah figure.

It's interesting to note Lennon and Bowie became good friends in the mid 70s, and it's my impression that they fascinated one another, as they likely sensed either had almost opposite ways of looking at the world and translating the human experience, yet they were both idealistic humanitarians at heart. I think Bowie's friendship with Jagger, OTH, was more primal and almost competitive, perhaps tying into both being Se users. Jagger tapped into that competitive, sexual instinct and brought it out a bit in Bowie. Jagger encouraged Bowie to embrace his sexuality onstage, but Jagger was always sort of ahead of Bowie in that facet, whereas Bowie probably encouraged Jagger to think ahead of the curve as an artist, yet Jagger was never quite as good at sensing the changing tides and remaining relevant and cutting edge as an artist the way Bowie could (with the obvious exception of Bowie's mid 80s output).

isn't anything

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Huge, huge fan, and yes he is very difficult to type.
I've seen people suggest 4 mainly: INTJ, INFJ, INFP and ISFP
Frankly, he's neither an INFJ nor an INTJ.
I think you could most strongly argue for him being ISFP.
He was a performer first and foremost.