• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes someone good at typing others? I'm unimpressed with this sub-forum

bobby

I'm pretty much not going to believe someone's type until they take an official test and then have a panel of accredited MBTI administrants form a consensus on what it is.

so how do you use the typings you don't really believe in? in other words the typings which were not results of the process you described. can they be relied upon in any way?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2H8FtlrzCI"].[/YOUTUBE]

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
How the hell would we know they were INTP and not ESFP?

Writing style, what they say about themselves, how they say it, how they approach an issue, etc.

There are ways.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Writing style, what they say about themselves, how they say it, how they approach an issue, etc.

There are ways.

I don't know about you, but I don't go around pretending to have some sort of epistemological authority regarding the inner workings of other people.

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know about you, but I don't go around pretending to have some sort of epistemological authority regarding the inner workings of other people.

It's called being able to read someone and see past the obvious.

G

garbage

I mean, this stuff isn't "objective" anyway until these functions are "proven" to exist.

Like any good model builder, I should point out that MBTI needs to be refined until it can be properly validated against reality; it so far fails on this front. I'll also add the standard caveat that that doesn't mean that it's not useful..

@Greed. When you really get typology, and you know you are good at it - You don't need a "grand authority to double check" your typings. That's what I meant.

My comment was intended to illustrate that it seems strange to ask what makes a person good at typing other people.

All of these clarifications you keep making, such as your statement about the "sports" question, are things that most everyone here already knows. Everyone "knows" that they are good at typing. They have just as much "authority" as you do and everyone somehow draws different conclusions.

And your name is yellow, so, whoops

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's something for you to think about: you're supposedly an ENTP, more rational and able with systems than me, the irrational ENFJ. Yet, you completely fall on your face with regards to logic, philosophy and epistemology.

Either people are:
A) by definition, a certain type by self report
B) some other "true" type (that cant be scientifically measured)

People's self reports can change or be "wrong" by comparison to other points in time. This is fine. However, you threaten your credibility by then claiming that there is a "type essence" that you have access to with scientific precision. This is impossible minus MAGIC. Without it being a sort of measurement, how can you ever say your measurement is better than anyone else's minus having a judge decide? BTW, there is no MBTI judge! By what measurable mechanism would you access this true "measurement" of anything but your own type? This "type essence" wouldnt be something you can repeatably use a ruler against, because peoples own thoughts are THEIR OWN THOUGHTS..

Thank you for your cooperation. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's odd that with all your knowledge of MBTI, you seem reluctant to use it for what it's truly great at: to understand yourself, understand your weaknesses and strenghts and to actually use this information to improve yourself instead of projecting onto others. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to undermine you or what not, but I'm genuinly curious why you would communicate in such a clearly inefficient way which is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way, when you claim to understand how people work through MBTI. Or isn't self-development part of your interest in MBTI? How is it that MBTI hasn't taught you how to communicate with others socially in an efficient way?

VagrantFarce

I see Amber

[edit] although if I push my thumbs into my eyes for a few minutes, I can see purple

O_O

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Mostly because I understand mbti, enneagram, and variants. I really don't think you can type properly without all these factors. Variants and EType being just as important as mbti. For example; an estj 3 sp/sx and a estj 8w7 soc/sp will seem drastically different. Without understanding etype and stackings in addition to mbti, you'd probably mistype that ESTJ 3 sp/sx because they're less typical of the type. I'm quite unimpressed with the typing Ive seen particularly in this sub forum. I'm not saying everyone here is terrible at typing. There may be someone whos better at it than I am. But I havnt seen it yet. People aren't even getting the temperaments correct. Not too long ago I saw someone say Lindsey Lohan was ESFP but also couldve been an INFJ. WTF? Those types are completely opposite. :doh:

Hmm. I'm not sure why this is such a controversial assertion for everybody to accept. To me, it makes sense: holistic evaluation > single factor evaluation. The Big Five, for example, has more scientific backing than MBTI has ever achieved. I also find the Enneagram to be extremely useful. MBTI is just one piece of the puzzle. 'Cuz really...do you people all believe that humanity can be broken down into 16 personality types? Pfft. Come on! I'd say infinite combinations exist. All you see in MBTI are broad stroke trends and ball park categorization, poor test-retest validity, and non-falsifiable assertions. People tend to demand more specificity out of MBTI than it is reliably capable of yielding.