• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes someone good at typing others? I'm unimpressed with this sub-forum

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
Mostly because I understand mbti, enneagram, and variants. I really don't think you can type properly without all these factors. Variants and EType being just as important as mbti. For example; an estj 3 sp/sx and a estj 8w7 soc/sp will seem drastically different. Without understanding etype and stackings in addition to mbti, you'd probably mistype that ESTJ 3 sp/sx because they're less typical of the type. I'm quite unimpressed with the typing Ive seen particularly in this sub forum. I'm not saying everyone here is terrible at typing. There may be someone whos better at it than I am. But I havnt seen it yet. People aren't even getting the temperaments correct. Not too long ago I saw someone say Lindsey Lohan was ESFP but also couldve been an INFJ. WTF? Those types are completely opposite. :doh:

Really, if you need advice on typing I'm more than willing to help. I've studied mbti and the enneagram/stackings for about 7 years now. My professor in College (ENTP) regularly does seminars on mbti and Ive attended quite a few and exchanged ideas with him. It's something I know quite well. Ive read through "Please Understand Me" and various other mbti books. I assure you I'm not one of those ppl who only skimmed over a few profiles and thought I was an expert. Ive read through everything very thoroughly (ie. I know my shit).

Personally I dont think NFs are very good at typing from what Ive seen. Their conclusions seem completely random and without reason. Take that Lindsey Lohan example I gave above as proof. Heck, I even saw someone try typing Jessica Simpson as ENTP. Again, WTF!? INT's probably suffer from not having a good enough radar to gauge others. J-types also suffer in making accurate typings due to being, well, close minded and not taking everything into consideration. I've also seen numerous occasions where people openly admit they don't know a person well, but just go on a whim and throw out a random type. Some friendly advice, dont bother typing someone if you know absolutely nothing about them.

and maybe more importantly, I use it in real life. With Ne being dominant, I easily make connections between everything and anything. Everyone reminds me of someone else. with there being only 16 types, and meeting thousands of people, it's easy to connect people to one another. Hence, if person A is a definite Type ----, and person B strikes me as being very similar to them, I already have a good groundwork for typing person B. Most likely they have something in common, weather its mbti or enneagram or stacking.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
we cannot all be as brilliant as you. maybe you should teach us all your ways, as you're obviously superior to everyone else here. :rolli:

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
In addition, many people go purely off stereotypes and neglect the functions. Some dont seem to have a good enough grasp of the functions. Then there is also nurture and upbringing. Birth Order, Addictions, medications, and personality disorders, as well. You have to take into consideration why a person may seem to be like a certain type when they really aren't. For Example; someone said they thought I was ESTP instead of ENTP. My easy answer to that is it's because I was raised by SP's and have been heavily influenced by ESxP's. But also, that persons reasoning as to why they thought I was ESTP was very superficial and once again, just showed how bad people at this forum are at typing others.

I should also clarify I'm not claiming to be a God at typing. Actually far form it. I know when my typings are 100% accurate, but I also know when they are 'maybes'. My Chappelle typing for example, isnt one I claimed to be 100% right on. But when I'm not sure on someone, I will atleast get the temperament or dominant Function correct.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You studied typing for 7 years but still have the disrespect to put on a shameless terrible joke in your avatar ?

You obviously think you know alot about mankind and I am glad you finally try to test it out on them in reality. I wish you the best of luck and learning experience

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
You studied typing for 7 years but still have the disrespect to put on a shameless terrible joke in your avatar ?

What's that have to do with anything? Please try to stay on topic.

G

garbage

How do you get typings 100% correct when there isn't even 100% agreement on what the types and functions mean? Which grand authority double-checks your typings?

Lack of agreement can occur even when many involved do have qualifications. See also: Wikipedia. Oh, and also see most branches of science.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty much not going to believe someone's type until they take an official test and then have a panel of accredited MBTI administrants form a consensus on what it is.

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
How do you get typings 100% correct when there isn't even 100% agreement on what the types and functions mean?

When you "get it", you just do. If everyone were to have the attitude you did in that post, then typing would be meaningless and therefore you shouldn't even be here to discuss it.

Is anyone going to attempt staying on topic, or just look for ways to try undermining me? I know the gist of my post can be summarized as "Me<You" if you want to look at it that way. and some may take offense to that, but I raise a good discussion point. What makes someone good at typing others? What do you take into consideration when typing? How much do you really know about typing and how indepth have you studied it? What other methods besides mbti have you looked into?

Share and discuss.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
When you "get it", you just do. If everyone were to have the attitude you did in that post, then typing would be meaningless and therefore you shouldn't even be here to discuss it.

Tho that might be the focal point: typing IS meaningless, until you give it a meaning. And the emphasis is on you

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
For starters, if you were entp, you'ld now: there is no topic

Yes there is, see post #10.

I'm pretty much not going to believe someone's type until they take an official test and then have a panel of accredited MBTI administrants form a consensus on what it is.

Thank you for an honest on-topic reply. Though I must say, that's a horrible way of typing someone as the tests are not done very well. They can easily be manipulated. If I wanted to test as an ISFP one day and then test as an ENTJ the next day, I would have no problem getting the result I wanted to.

Also people may reply to the tests as what they WANT to be, rather than how they truly are.

For example, someone who is not very extroverted but always wanted to be the life of the party saw themself a certain way that others did not, it can cause issues in mistypings.

Stacking can also cause issues in mistyping on the E/I scale as social-lasts can easily misidentify as Introverts, even if they're extroverted.

again, that brings up what I said earlier in that you have to think of more than just mbti alone when typing someone.

G

garbage

When you "get it", you just do.

This isn't a sound logical argument for your belief that you are good at typing others. Your answer is unfalsifiable and therefore, by your own logic, is meaningless and cannot be discussed.

If everyone were to have the attitude you did in that post, then typing would be meaningless and therefore you shouldn't even be here to discuss it.

Nonsense. There are answers to my questions, such as one that Magic indirectly provided.

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
@Greed. When you really get typology, and you know you are good at it - You don't need a "grand authority to double check" your typings. That's what I meant.

@entropie. Not even sure why you bother replying. You obviously have no interest in discussing the topic. Lots of jibber jabber and no substance from you. It's just cluttering the thread. Though that's pretty much to be expected from anyone with 8,000+ posts in less than 2 years.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you for an honest on-topic reply. Though I must say, that's a horrible way of typing someone as the tests are not done very well. They can easily be manipulated. If I wanted to test as an ISFP one day and then test as an ENTJ the next day, I would have no problem getting the result I wanted to.

So in your opinion, instead of having people take tests to determine their type, should we just go ahead and check with you? I suppose you would be better at typing someone then they would be at typing themselves, yeah?

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
So in your opinion, instead of having people take tests to determine their type, should we just go ahead and check with you? I suppose you would be better at typing someone then they would be at typing themselves, yeah?

TBH, If I knew them really well, then I'd answer Yes to your question.

One of the tests I saw had a question like: "Do you like sports and physical activities".

I am sure if you answered "Yes" to that, it would've gone towards gauging your percentage for being a Sensor. If you answered "No" it would've gone towards your percentage as iNtuitive.

Ofcourse, this is foolish because I know many intuitives who enjoy sports and physical activities

There was also a question like: "Do you day dream alot?". If you answered "Yes" it wouldve gone towards your percentage as an Intuitive. If you answered "No" it wouldve gone towards your percentage of Sensor.

Again, this shows how bad the tests are because pretty much everyone day dreams, not just intuitives.

The tests often cause mistypings. Don't believe me? Check MOST people's post history here and you will find most people were mistyped at one point or another and changed typings. A lot of people come to forums saying "Hi everyone, I'm new here, I just took the test and it said I'm ISFJ(just an example)". And then a few weeks/months later you notice they changed their type in their Bio.

If I wanted to test as an ISFP one day and then test as an ENTJ the next day, I would have no problem getting the result I wanted to.

To add onto this; I know it's true because I've done it many times.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
The more systems and factors that you consider together the more likely it is that you could fit any person into any box.

It reminds me of the bogus convulated methods that astrologers use to try and get someone to fit their arbitrary star sign.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
@entropie. Not even sure why you bother replying. You obviously have no interest in discussing the topic. Lots of jibber jabber and no substance from you. It's just cluttering the thread. Though that's pretty much to be expected from anyone with 8,000+ posts in less than 2 years.

Well you changed the topic, first it was about your remarkable skills on typing and now its questioning typing itself.