• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
This has been discussed in several MBTI forums on the net. The question was always INTJ vs. INTP.

Personally, I would go for INTP.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ. clearly an introverted NT.

I thought this for sure for a long time, then the last few episodes of season 3 made me think differently (INTP). I'm not sure one way or the other anymore.

I think Foreman might be an INTJ, though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's got nice eyes.

(Sorry, I just wanted to say something uncontroversial.)

And he's not pregnant either, according to the screaming headline on some gossip mag I passed by in the grocery today.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTx.

A misanthropic extravert. And yes, I can back this up you introvert bigots.

Arandur

MBTI Type
INTJ
When it comes to INTJ vs INTP, I'd have to say INTJ, because he's got that confidence thing going on.

I can see how you'd get ENTx (I'd say ENTJ), MacGuffin, and I'd love to hear you explain.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see how you'd get ENTx (I'd say ENTJ), MacGuffin, and I'd love to hear you explain.

I actually lean ENTP cause he does do some quiet thinking on his own. Ti - the second function of ENTPs.

The rest I'll reveal later.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
He doesn't seem very inward, does he? I'd buy ENTP. Definitely P.

ygolo

My termites win
Cool. A show I actually watch. New show tomorrow?

T for sure, (or a really, really, screwed up F). He has issues, that can make him more cold and mean, but I really don't see any internal dynamic causing him to switch from F to T.

Definitely abstract in his approach to medical problems (and he approaches everything in life the same way, which also seems to indicate an NT). So I would say N.

He is a misanthrope, but he cannot keep his mouth shut in many of the situations he'd in.

I would have initially pegged him for an extroverted NT. But there are a lot of moments where simply wants to be left alone to think.

E/I is hard to say. His approach to problem solving screams ENTP to me (based on ENTPs I know IRL) and not at all like ENTJs, INTJs, or INTPs I know in real life (possible circular reasoning here).

He is decisive and directive, but it seems like that only applies on the job, where he knows his stuff and is the boss. INTPs/ENTPs I know at work (confirmed by tests) can be equally adamant, decisive and directive about what they want done (but are much more easy going outside of work).

He defies authority (SP/NT usually), but the way he does it has a very "Richard Feynman" feel to it (Which points me to ENTP).

Rule breaking is part of his own system clashing with the established one, not really based on a pragmatic motive to make an impact. So again I am thinking NT.

Cognitive Function-It may be due to the shows presentation, but if you watch the plane episode where he is trying to make a diagnosis, and another one where he is dreaming while making a diagnosis, he is almost useless without the people he has to bounce ideas off of. Seems very Ne to me (it will be interesting how well he actually does without a team). I would say the way he does things strongly points to an iNtuitive function in charge not a Thinking function (Cutty on the other hand seems to be lead by Te).

Interaction Style-
  • At first it may seem like he likes being in charge, but I believe her really feels a lot more comfortable knowing Cutty is the boss.
  • Foreman seems like the iconic Chart-the-Course style (and I think is a good INTJ candidate) but it is clear that his style is different from House's more free-flowing style of leading differential diagnosis.
  • The only clear Behind-The-Scenes one on the show was Chase (who I think is an INxP, seminary, UFOs, ...).
  • House's style seems to me to be a Get-Things-Going style, contrasted with Cutty's, Foreman's, and Chase's.
  • Cameron, I am not sure about.

In sum, I am going with ENTP.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool, I don't have to make the argument myself!

Cognitive Function-It may be due to the shows presentation, but if you watch the plane episode where he is trying to make a diagnosis, and another one where he is dreaming while making a diagnosis, he is almost useless without the people he has to bounce ideas off of. Seems very Ne to me (it will be interesting how well he actually does without a team).

The plane episode is key. He recruited a useless team for no logical reason other than to have an audience to play to.

Extravert!

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd never thought of extraverts as being misanthropic. Cool.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[*]Foreman seems like the iconic Chart-the-Course style (and I think is a good INTJ candidate) but it is clear that his style is different from House's more free-flowing style of leading differential diagnosis.
[*]The only clear Behind-The-Scenes one on the show was Chase (who I think is an INxP, seminary, UFOs, ...).
Hmm, I've always seen Chase as an ISTP. Definitely T, and he doesn't seem much like the INTPs and INFPs I know. I could also see INTJ.

I would also put House as ENTP for the reasons described above, though he has INTJ tendencies at times.

My guesses for the rest of them:

Cuddy ENfJ
Cameron IsFJ
Foreman eNTj
Wilson IxFx (ISFJ?)

ygolo

My termites win
Hmm, I've always seen Chase as an ISTP. Definitely T, and he doesn't seem much like the INTPs and INFPs I know. I could also see INTJ.

I would also put House as ENTP for the reasons described above, though he has INTJ tendencies at times.

My guesses for the rest of them:

Cuddy ENfJ
Cameron IsFJ
Foreman eNTj
Wilson IxFx (ISFJ?)

Yeah, I guess Chase could be an ISTP, but he seemed a bit too flaky. Also, he seemed a lot like a male F, trying to seem more T. He is actually a lot like an INFP I know. He was unfortunately also the most flatly drawn character. I base my impressions mainly on God vs. House, the alien chip in the kids neck, the way he reacted to his father's death, and his final relationship with Cameron. I think it shows more Behind-the-Scenes interaction style than Chart-the-Course.

Hmm. I could see Cuddy as an F too (Though, compared to House everyone in the story can seem more F). I think she fits the In-Charge style (ETJ+ESTP+ENFJ) very well (not just because she's in charge). Still, I saw her as an ESTJ, she seemed Guardian in temperament. But I have few real life comparissons.

Cameron seems all over the place. But seemed Idealist in temperament.

Foreman seemed introverted to me. Very Chart-the-Course also, and very Ni (his reason for leaving the team, his reason for learning from House in the first place, and his response to Cameron with regards to friends/collegues). Possibly ENTJ also, but he seemed to be lead by iNtuition, not Thinking.

Wilson-No clue. He didn't remind me of anyone I knew, and I saw no strong preferences of any sort.

Typing is definitely more fun, as a parlor game :D

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Foreman seemed introverted to me. Very Chart-the-Course also, and very Ni (his reason for leaving the team, his reason for learning from House in the first place, and his response to Cameron with regards to friends/collegues). Possibly ENTJ also, but he seemed to be lead by iNtuition, not Thinking.

The reason I think Foreman is an INTJ is I knew what he was going to do in those instances you describe before he did them - or rather, I knew what I would have done. Not scientific, by any means. I identified with him.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd never thought of extraverts as being misanthropic. Cool.

Actually, misanthropy probably is more of a TJ trait.

xSTJs are more inclined to be misanthropic when they see the "youth" not following traditional protocols.

xNTJs are more misanthropic when observing people mindlessly observing meaningless traditions and acting a certain way because that's how everyone else acts. NTs are cynical by nature. They question the meaning of things, but understanding the value is something a bit harder to do.

NFs will also be more apt to question meanings, but with their people orientation, they understand the value, too.

The difference between E and I misanthropes is that E's are more expressive in their views. I's prefer to avoid conflict.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll buy Foreman as INTJ.