• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This is why I hate judging people by single dichotomies. It is the opinion of Ti, that there is only one way of viewing things. Especially seen in NTPs, the users of Ti, will continually combine systems to find THE logical truth.

Ti also is very willing to re-examine its conclusions, but in my case, I confess, I have a hard time allowing anyone else to make me do it.

But yes, it is common and likely for TPs to be stubborn - you're basically just saying I'm stubborn.
Hmmm. Well, I didn't have the impression that you were stubborn. I had the impression that you're strongly opinionated in a very definite way but not the way an INTP is - because they don't make logical sense to me most of the time.

That does sound like the definition of stubborn... what am I trying to say?

I guess what I'm trying to say is you sound like me. And I am very J. You sound more J than P to me.

I know, I know. You prefer the cognitive functions...

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Maybe we can't figure him out because he is a fictional character who doesn't have to obey the rules of MBTI! :doh:

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
lol!

Or maybe because he's such a jerk.
I never understood what made this show so great in the first place.
That caricature of a mean but competent person has been so overused by hollywood that I really don't have any attention for shows with that kind of character: Siphowitz, that bald guy in the shield, bla bla bla. Whatever, I'm sick of them. :whistling:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmmm. Well, I didn't have the impression that you were stubborn. I had the impression that you're strongly opinionated in a very definite way but not the way an INTP is - because they don't make logical sense to me most of the time.

That does sound like the definition of stubborn... what am I trying to say?

I guess what I'm trying to say is you sound like me. And I am very J. You sound more J than P to me.

I know, I know. You prefer the cognitive functions...

Well... type is only a more aesthetic (and easier to grasp for the masses), but it's really just the long-cut to finding the functions. Putting those four letters is like putting skin on the bones (at least it appears so to me).

In any event, I do have INTJ tendencies. At least I think I do. My INTJ friend whom I've mentioned numerous times around the forum, is an avid MBTI analyst, and says I'm mostly ENTP, with INTJ a little. He says, and I agree, that as long as intuition is at the forefront trailed closely by thinking, then I'm acting normal.

Maybe we can't figure him out because he is a fictional character who doesn't have to obey the rules of MBTI! :doh:

Neither do civilians. It's just about generalities. And house is MOST commonly, an ENTP. Not that he doesn't act INTJ at times - I'm willing to grant that he does.

He seems J doesn't he? Well with Ti like his... it'd be hard not to be.

Like I've said. J doesn't necessarily mean set in their ways, nor does P mean frivolous and unyielding indecisiveness (that's kind of a pun, but it's not funny). I__J ≠ FJ ≠ SJ ≠ ET_J... J means something different for every type. Very little about those four letters is widespread across all subtypes who prefer that side of the scale.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I think the appeal of a character like House is that he's so well fleshed-out that he could have an MBTI type.

Characters in lesser shows are typically caricatures of dominant functions alone.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
House is almost definitely NOT an ENTP because there is no ISFJ in it at all.

ENTPs are aware of social norms and have a set of them as principles. If people cross those then they are lambasted and criticised for their lack of awareness of such things. When ENTPs cross those boundaries I've always seen it as being done in full knowledge of what they are doing and a sense of being cheeky by doing it. This is also reflected in the playful side of ISFJs.

Basically what the ENTP supporters are NOT doing is looking beyond the first layer past the skin. House is designed as a complex person and the initial layer is the defence, the second layer is how he presents himself and about two or three layers down is the core of the man.

Like INTJs he crosses societal norms with feigned regret at most but if you watch closely he does regret annoying or upsetting people. His manner of celebrating is over the top like an ESFP which shows his shadow well.

This whole thing about drawing energy off people is also far too black and white. Introverts draw energy off people the same way that extroverts do, just to a lesser extent. You can't site one instance of a person being happy to see people and wanting people about and then jump about singing extrovert it just isn't that simple. If it was then every last person you know is an extrovert because at one time or another they leapt into the air and shouted "yippee look at me I'm great".

I know one ENTP and one INTJ in my regular circle of friends and yes they are similar at points but the ENTP harps on a point to a far greater extent than the INTJ does. In terms of deduction the INTJ is far more likely to go through his thought processes and check the logic of them where as the ENTP will almost fly by the seat of his pants (though externally it can look the same as not too many can see the INTJ's internal processes).

Basically the gaping flaw in the whole "House is an ENTP sez I" is one of letting people alone. An ENTP, even one who didn't like people, would still be attracted to getting involved in other's problems just for the new problem to deal with. An INTJ most often is unbothered by other's problems and situations and will leave people to their own devices. This is precisely what House does. It's not that he doesn't like people, he's just not bothered if they can't see the solution which is often so obvious to him. He doesn't pull solutions out of the air with patients precisely because it's such a challenging field. That's why he's doing it.

The reasoning behind House being an extrovert is flawed for these reasons and the more obvious pattern of introverted behaviour. Function order be damned. Function orders are more difficult to pick up and are less reliable measures of a person than behaviour taken as a whole.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
An ENTP, even one who didn't like people, would still be attracted to getting involved in other's problems just for the new problem to deal with.

He does specifically this in the second-to-most recent episode. (Coffee jitters.)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think the INTJ function order fits House perfectly, but I could also see him as ENTP. He is definitely not INTP, he makes decisions too fast. I could see such fast decision making being made by an ENTP though, but it hints to Te to me. House obviously has Fi over Fe, and he also has Se over Si, which fit with INTJ function order. I feel unable to give an argument about the direction of his intuition and thinking, because I can see those going either way. The direction of his feeling and sensing is quite clear though.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
House is almost definitely NOT an ENTP because there is no ISFJ in it at all. ...Function orders are more difficult to pick up and are less reliable measures of a person than behaviour taken as a whole.
That was almost as good as a box of chocolates! :wubbie: My hero!

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
House is almost definitely NOT an ENTP because there is no ISFJ in it at all.

ENTPs are aware of social norms and have a set of them as principles. If people cross those then they are lambasted and criticised for their lack of awareness of such things. When ENTPs cross those boundaries I've always seen it as being done in full knowledge of what they are doing and a sense of being cheeky by doing it. This is also reflected in the playful side of ISFJs.

Basically what the ENTP supporters are NOT doing is looking beyond the first layer past the skin. House is designed as a complex person and the initial layer is the defence, the second layer is how he presents himself and about two or three layers down is the core of the man.

Like INTJs he crosses societal norms with feigned regret at most but if you watch closely he does regret annoying or upsetting people. His manner of celebrating is over the top like an ESFP which shows his shadow well.

This whole thing about drawing energy off people is also far too black and white. Introverts draw energy off people the same way that extroverts do, just to a lesser extent. You can't site one instance of a person being happy to see people and wanting people about and then jump about singing extrovert it just isn't that simple. If it was then every last person you know is an extrovert because at one time or another they leapt into the air and shouted "yippee look at me I'm great".

I know one ENTP and one INTJ in my regular circle of friends and yes they are similar at points but the ENTP harps on a point to a far greater extent than the INTJ does. In terms of deduction the INTJ is far more likely to go through his thought processes and check the logic of them where as the ENTP will almost fly by the seat of his pants (though externally it can look the same as not too many can see the INTJ's internal processes).

Basically the gaping flaw in the whole "House is an ENTP sez I" is one of letting people alone. An ENTP, even one who didn't like people, would still be attracted to getting involved in other's problems just for the new problem to deal with. An INTJ most often is unbothered by other's problems and situations and will leave people to their own devices. This is precisely what House does. It's not that he doesn't like people, he's just not bothered if they can't see the solution which is often so obvious to him. He doesn't pull solutions out of the air with patients precisely because it's such a challenging field. That's why he's doing it.

The reasoning behind House being an extrovert is flawed for these reasons and the more obvious pattern of introverted behaviour. Function order be damned. Function orders are more difficult to pick up and are less reliable measures of a person than behaviour taken as a whole.

First of all, the function order is deduced by observing behavior as a whole. It's not like I watched only one episode and saw a little moment that looked ENTP. I've been watching the show for years and seeing him use Ne and Ti since then.

I can topple your entire argument by saying simply that since you use personal experience and try to contrast House with your ENTP friend instead of using the actual science of the system. Forget the online descriptions. They're talking about MOST ENTPs or INTJs. Not all.

Also, everything you've said about ENTPs and INTJs ranges from different to contrary to my experience. That means, that experience isn't the way to decipher these things, because it can be wrong.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
lso, everything you've said about ENTPs and INTJs ranges from different to contrary to my experience. That means, that experience isn't the way to decipher these things, because it can be wrong.

Have you ever considered writing your own Type test...? It seems like it would be a lot more accurate than MBTI.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Have you ever considered writing your own Type test...? It seems like it would be a lot more accurate than MBTI.

Yes, but I don't think it would be better. Tests are a joke anyway. People lie. It's easy to ascribe behavioral characteristics that you think are positive. A lot of people (I know because I've seen it happen) will put false answers on tests because they think that somehow it makes it true.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, but I don't think it would be better. Tests are a joke anyway. People lie. It's easy to ascribe behavioral characteristics that you think are positive. A lot of people (I know because I've seen it happen) will put false answers on tests because they think that somehow it makes it true.

Everything is flawed.
What makes you arbiter of this subject?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

So you are a... behaviouralist typist...? My head hurts. Well, why not, that's what Jung did anyway. Course, it was MBTI that actually created the factors in a structured (and more behavioural way)... Yup, there it is again... my head hurts.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
So you are a... behaviouralist typist...? My head hurts. Well, why not, that's what Jung did anyway. Course, it was MBTI that actually created the factors in a structured (and more behavioural way)... Yup, there it is again... my head hurts.

I wouldn't have a problem with the tests if people didn't lie to the tests to convince THEMSELVES of things.

Take some advil.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I wouldn't have a problem with the tests if people didn't lie to the tests to convince THEMSELVES of things.

Yah, I guess that's like how I feel about people typing others behaviourally.