• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Oh boy.

House. A very good INTJ.

He's not an extrovert because he doesn't tell others what he's thinking, he avoids explaining his thinking (in fact he does the roll of the eyes and the whole INTJ look that communicates "Poor poor stupid mortal" in ultra high fidelity).

He's not a P because he organises others and excuses himself. Ps are the opposite to that trend. House is always asking of others what he himself is unwilling to provide.. that is what a twisted J does.

You may also find that the man himself is an INTJ too....though now I've said it I'm going to have to go check myself.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh boy.

House. A very good INTJ.

He's not an extrovert because he doesn't tell others what he's thinking, he avoids explaining his thinking (in fact he does the roll of the eyes and the whole INTJ look that communicates "Poor poor stupid mortal" in ultra high fidelity).

He's not a P because he organises others and excuses himself. Ps are the opposite to that trend. House is always asking of others what he himself is unwilling to provide.. that is what a twisted J does.

You may also find that the man himself is an INTJ too....though now I've said it I'm going to have to go check myself.
:rolli: If you were a doctor applying for a spot on House's team, he'd have you fired before the first commercial break with that kind of analysis!

EEEEEExtravert!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
P.S. Copied/Moved a bunch of posts from that INTJ thread.

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ
His consistent rule breaking, procrastination, willingness and aptitude toward reconsidering his conclusions, and the oneuping/challenging nature of him strikes me as far one the NTP scale.
J, J, J and J. Just as you can say that those are P traits, those are also J traits too. J's can consistently break rules, procrastinate, reconsider conclusions and oneup/challenge others. All of those are situational and J's are as likely to do those things you listed as much as P's.

Now assuming that most of us agree that House is an NT, the following would apply for and NTJ:
J's (especially NTJ's) break rules when they don't feel that the rules are just/fair/right. In his position, I would do the same thing - plus, I'm always right so breaking rules isn't a big deal - just like House, he could justify the breaking of these rules.

J's can procrastinate more than the P, it just depends on what they view as important at the moment. I put tons of things off when I don't want to do it or don't want to deal with it at that moment. Just because House procrastinates, does not mean he's a P - you need to understand the reasons behind the procrastination and as far as I can see, it's justifiable in his mind - meaning that he can be a procrastinating J. J tends to procrastinate with a reason, P's do it naturally.

What part of a J can't reconsider conclusions? J's are the best at that, they act so fast that they have to reconsider conclusions, but if they did, they were right to do so - exactly how House is. J's need conclusions and therefore there are tons or conclusions to be made - House acts fast when making decisions/conclusions and he'll reconsider conclusion as long as new information comes in. I do that as an J and so does House.

What part of a J wouldn't oneup/challenge? I challenge and oneup people all the time! A J does it to show off, like someone said, it's the mindset of "those poor dumb souls," I have to show them how it's really done. NTJ's are all about shaping the world around them to their own "vision" and House does exactly that. He challenges authority and people to show that he is right. J's always think that they are right and they will oneup/challenge anyone who disagrees.

E, because he's so confident in his intuition, which is not the case of the INTJ or INTP. Or at least the INTJ doesn't show it off.
Once again, that is situational, do you know how House grew up? He was a troubled youth, abused and moved around a lot. Just because he is confident with his intuition doesn't mean that he's not an introvert. He grew up believing and trusting only himself, why wouldn't he be confident and show it off? I do that do, I had many issues growing up and I can understand why he behaves the way he does.

You make these claims like he is a normal, well-adjusted person. House has many issues, many unresolved issues and that has resulted in his current attitude and behaviour. If you take what he had to growing up, you can't say that that is an ENTP behaviour over an INTJ. Every ENTP on this board is different and so is every INTJ. Your arguments for the E and P is based on your experiences, not his!

Like I've said before, you don't have to be extraverted to be E. You just have to favor the object world instead of the inner world. House does.
How does House favor the object world? House is all about what he thinks, what he feels and what he had experienced. It is all internal, he draws his information from both outside and inside and that is his NT nature.

Yes, you don't have to be extraverted to be E - E is about positive emotions. House has very little, if any, positive emotion. I's have negative emotions. Example, an E would seem more positive in emotions when dealing with everyday life over an I who would suffer from negative emotions - hence, more I's suffer from long-term depression than E's.

House isn't an Extravert!
Yes he is. I'm an E also and I hate dealing with people. Remember for ENTPs is people's primary functions is to serve as an audience. Especially if they applaud. Friends and foes are optional. ENTPs can be just as detached socially as INTPs, they're just louder about it and spend less time Tiing and more time Neing.
Once again, situational. House was abused as a child, he moved around a lot, and he grew up in a military household. House didn't have people to relate to or people he could trust as he was growing up. House had his wife leave him because she did something that he didn't want/agree to. House has failed in diagonosing someone before and that resulted in the death of that patient. All of these would lead to many deep-rooted issues that make him seem like an E. In reality, if you can relate and truely understand these circumstances of House's childhood and life, you will see that an I would react the same way. He needs his audience because he needs someone to reassure his insecurities, he argues with others because he needs that reaction and he needs that applaud to make his life have meaning. I understand that because I can be the same way. I had my fair share of an audience when I was a shift manager at a restaurant or when I was working for the government. When an INTJ know they are right and they are deep-down insecure, they need the people to give meaning to their life and reasoning.

He hates dealing with anybody other than his own circle, and he practically hates them, too. He risks his job just to avoid giving presentations.
ENTPs can't? Come on now. If an ENTP thinks the presentation is stupid or a waste of time, they'll do everything they can to avoid it. An INTP will actually more likely trudge through it, unless confronted directly. ENTP will just find a way around it, which is what he does.
You're right, an ENTP can hate presentations but that's not the point. If you are going to argue that all E's (or all ENTP)'s can't feel the same way, the same can be said about any other type. Everyone has an argument/exception to why a certain type is or isn't like that. We can all justify it a certain way. On that note, House does also trudge through it or avoid it when confronted with it.

He also spends tons of time alone, and needs it to come up with a solution. Sometimes, when he's with other people when it happens, he just suddenly tunes out the entire world. God knows that's what I do.
Just because he's adroit doesn't mean he's an Extravert.
ENTP can't spend tons of time alone? ENTP doesn't need time alone to work on logical systems?
Yes, classic Ne turning to Ti to check for validity.
No, but there are plenty of other qualities about him that do.
Here we go again. He enjoys time alone and just because he's with other people and requires an audience, does not make him an E. He is filled with negative emotions and is probably the most unpleasant person out there that supposedly deals with the public. He hates his job, he hates people and there is tons of reason for it - he's an extremely troubled adult with many unresolved issues. If you look hard enough, you can see those insecurities and that is why he may display E or P traits or traits from many different types. He is not your average guy, he has many issues (physically, mentally and emotionally) that has shaped him to be the troubled soul that he is.

He's not. Do you seriously see any J in him? If you do you're not looking hard enough.
Seriously, if you don't see the J in him, you aren't looking hard enough. Look at the facts, at his past and stop putting your own experiences in it.

ANYWAYS....he's just a fictional character in a TV series, I can't believe how hard we are arguing about this character's type. I think we all need a life.

Well...that is my two cents. House is my hero - I love his show, even if he's fictional!

MBTI Type
INTJ
As a fan of the show and someone who is attempting to make a living writing for TV, I think this thread is fantastic...it's proof that House is one of the most compelling and well-written characters on television.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
And a total extrovert. LAST WORD!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Just kidding! Carry on.

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ
So Ivy, since House is such a hot topic, in so many ways, I'm just curious if one of the moderators would be so kind as to put up a poll to see what most people conclude House's type to be?

I'm just curious....we all just can't get enough of Gregory House! :wubbie:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So Ivy, since House is such a hot topic, in so many ways, I'm just curious if one of the moderators would be so kind as to put up a poll to see what most people conclude House's type to be?

I'm just curious....we all just can't get enough of Gregory House! :wubbie:

Good idea! Stand by for poll--

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
New poll for the old thread, since there was some problem with adding a poll to it. I will merge the threads when the poll is complete. Keep standing by!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
:rolli: If you were a doctor applying for a spot on House's team, he'd have you fired before the first commercial break with that kind of analysis!

EEEEEExtravert!
Yes I know you spell it differently. What's your point?

:tongue10:

Incisive and derisive comments are the trade mark of INTJ humour. INTPs tend to go for the throat less and are less direct about it. ENTJs don't tend to go for people and couldn't be bothered with the whole cloak and dagger approach. ENTPs are more prone to drawing you into a fight where as an INTJ will knock you out of the fight.

Now House tends to both disect people and use it to push them away. HE discourages argument most of the time. ENTPs like to argue, INTJs don't. This is why House is a J at least. There is no discussion, no argument only his way.

Extrovert versus Introvert.
Has House ever raised his voice? Does he laugh out loud? In fact does he engage in any form of expressive behaviour or pursuits? No. In fact the most expressive thing about him is his humour.

The whole thing about buying flashy walking sticks and such is more indicative of an introvert to me as it is a small styling cue that he concentrates upon where as I'd imagine to an extrovert such a thing would be small in consideration to the wardrobe.

House never really explains his thinking, which should shout introvert, and he's unconcerned if you understand his grand scheme and appreciate his intellect or not. He's right and that's the end of the discussion. That's INTJ to me.

Another pointer which I found revelation in was the tendency push friendships. I'm not sure of the motivation or psychology behind it but it's what my INTJ friend does when he has a downer on me. He'll push and almost seem to test if I'll retreat if he's mean to me. That's perfectly represented in House.

Another factor is the ESFP shadow. Why does a cripple ride a motorcycle? Cause it's fun. Why does an introverted thinker desire an audience sometimes even though he dislikes being surrounded by people? Because sometimes you just have to grandstand.

The line which I can't recall perfectly but says INTJ to me best is the whole 'patients spoil a doctors job' thing (season 1, fairly early on I think [details]). Now it would make sense to me that this was the statement of an introvert as an extrovert (even a disaffected one) would point the finger at the behaviour of patients or qualify his statement away from the whole "people bad" line but House does not. He instead squarely places the blame on the people themselves as people and not any particular behaviour they are manifesting. That's an introverted thinker.

Perhaps if you were to expand upon your extrovert theory I may be able to see where your getting it from?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes I know you spell it differently. What's your point?

:tongue10:

Incisive and derisive comments are the trade mark of INTJ humour. INTPs tend to go for the throat less and are less direct about it. ENTJs don't tend to go for people and couldn't be bothered with the whole cloak and dagger approach. ENTPs are more prone to drawing you into a fight where as an INTJ will knock you out of the fight.

Now House tends to both disect people and use it to push them away. HE discourages argument most of the time. ENTPs like to argue, INTJs don't. This is why House is a J at least. There is no discussion, no argument only his way.

Extrovert versus Introvert.
Has House ever raised his voice? Does he laugh out loud? In fact does he engage in any form of expressive behaviour or pursuits? No. In fact the most expressive thing about him is his humour.

The whole thing about buying flashy walking sticks and such is more indicative of an introvert to me as it is a small styling cue that he concentrates upon where as I'd imagine to an extrovert such a thing would be small in consideration to the wardrobe.

House never really explains his thinking, which should shout introvert, and he's unconcerned if you understand his grand scheme and appreciate his intellect or not. He's right and that's the end of the discussion. That's INTJ to me.

Another pointer which I found revelation in was the tendency push friendships. I'm not sure of the motivation or psychology behind it but it's what my INTJ friend does when he has a downer on me. He'll push and almost seem to test if I'll retreat if he's mean to me. That's perfectly represented in House.

Another factor is the ESFP shadow. Why does a cripple ride a motorcycle? Cause it's fun. Why does an introverted thinker desire an audience sometimes even though he dislikes being surrounded by people? Because sometimes you just have to grandstand.

The line which I can't recall perfectly but says INTJ to me best is the whole 'patients spoil a doctors job' thing (season 1, fairly early on I think [details]). Now it would make sense to me that this was the statement of an introvert as an extrovert (even a disaffected one) would point the finger at the behaviour of patients or qualify his statement away from the whole "people bad" line but House does not. He instead squarely places the blame on the people themselves as people and not any particular behaviour they are manifesting. That's an introverted thinker.

Perhaps if you were to expand upon your extrovert theory I may be able to see where your getting it from?
I do not vexed by Greg but your avatar looks like a bland ISTJ.

Too bland.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I do not vexed by Greg but your avatar looks like a bland ISTJ.

Too bland.
Try digging up some Cracker episodes my feline friend. You'll soon find the cream in that picture.

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
House's dysfunctionality

I noticed that in the first few seasons, House - Dr. Gregory House - was all about the problem. He was rude, he was impatient, he was asocial, and he barked at people, but he didn't play the kind of games he's playing now. When did that change?

A while back, Cuddy and the ducklings decided that House had to be 'reformed'. That because (in classic INTJ fashion) he cared more about the problem than the patient, he had to be made (God help us) "more human" - i.e. brought to care about the patient. They even faked a result to make him think he had failed rather than succeeded, in order to (again, God help us) "teach him humility."

If there's anything more calculated to drive an NT into flaming rebellion and sabotage, I have not yet discovered it. And he's still fighting that war.

On top of that, someone sicced the narcs on him and he nearly went to prison. Realistically, in today's climate, he would have. He got out of it because Cuddy played a card that would have turned any NT's stomach unless he was able to see it as simple strategy and enjoy putting one over on the narcs.

Then his old team quit en masse for fear of turning into him!

Ever since that season, House has been doing such things as setting up his new ducklings to get their hands on Cuddy's panties against her will and playing "Survivor: ER" with them. Has anybody else noticed how close this is to "We are on strike"?

Pat, INTP

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Damn, I forgot to make the poll public so I could cut my eyes at everyone who disagrees with me.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Damn, I forgot to make the poll public so I could cut my eyes at everyone who disagrees with me.
Eww!! No cutting eyes. No cutting eyes!!!

Where do you get such ideas from?

(I voted INTJ [as if you couldn't have guessed] if that helps)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Eww!! No cutting eyes. No cutting eyes!!!

Where do you get such ideas from?

(I voted INTJ [as if you couldn't have guessed] if that helps)

Maybe it's an American expression, it just means to narrow one's eyes in the direction of another.

I cut my eyes in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Maybe it's an American expression, it just means to narrow one's eyes in the direction of another.

I cut my eyes in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
Well close on the first count but really you should recheck your definition of Pacco Roban :D

I think you'll find the common conversion would be giving someone "daggers".

Fancy saying you'll cut your eyes. That's just silly!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Two episodes illustrate why he is an extravert:

Episode #64 "Airborne": He recruits three passengers that superficially resemble his team. Why? Certainly not for their medical expertise. They are an audience to bounce ideas off, and to hear himself think. Extravert.

Episode #71 "Alone": I'll let Wilson make my case for me: "You were bouncing ideas off a janitor!!" Extravert.

As Cuddy told him in that episode, he needs a team. Even one where he just dismisses their ideas out of hand.

I too thought he was an introvert for the first season or so. But that has not proven itself out. The past two seasons have been such exquiste representations of NeTi at work.

ENTP.