• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

deleted
Here is a short explanation of why I think House is ENTP, without relying on individual anecdotes.

Judging functions = thinking and feeling
Perceiving functions = sensing and intuiting

J vs P determines whether your judging or your perceiving function is extroverted. A P always extroverts the perceiving function. That means that if we accept that House is a P (which I do), he has to have Ne or Se as his first or second function. That would mean he would have Ti or Fi as the other. I vs E determines whether your extroverted function is dominant or auxiliary. I, personally, see House as Ne-dominant, so he has to be either ENTP or ENFP. And that right there is a big fat duh.

Yeah Ivy, you're going to have to back away and take a seat. Let the big boys show you how it's done.

Youtube battle engage! (Walk-ins urged to take notes)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Whoa there Lauren Hutton, it's time to simmer down. Fear the Ne:

[youtube="3Iwqj9i4QDc"]House = Ne bigtime[/youtube]

Note the differences between the clearly introverted Hugh Laurie and the clearly extroverted character he is playing.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
More House Ne:

[youtube="w9_4szyx8IU"]NENENENENENE![/youtube]

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
yes, but given as he's in a hospital, and his job is "saving" people...

Also, his actions just don't strike me as very extroverted at all. Outside stimuli (seems to) tire him, and yet whenever there's a case he needs to really think on, he retreats within himself.

This is a lost cause. House is simply the epitome of ENTPness. :devil:

Very few fictional characters can be typed as easily.

You know, I think you are confusing many things. The first being that just like any ordinary being, introverts can be happy, and extroverts can be depressed (especially when they suffer from a constant pain).

1) House is very clearly a Ne-dom, and as every Ne-dom, he gets quickly bored of everything. That's why he enjoys nothing less but to play and tease people around him. He needs external stimulis to keep his enthusiasm up, or cases that he considers to be worthy of his attention.

2) The thinking function of ENTPs is Ti, which means he has to "retreat within himself" when he "needs to really think on".

3) Nonetheless, he's a skilled manipulator (tertiary Fe), even if he lacks Fi (= concern for other people/ethical code).

To profile him, you should rather use cognitive functions and their dynamics. And the result is Ne-Ti-Fe, and not at all Ni-Te-Fi.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
plaguerat, you should have a youtube battle with bluemonday!

Not much of a plot. You can probably find something better: (look for functions)

nah, its not that big of a deal for me. I see him as very INTJ (with ENTP a second, as of Ivy's post). Maybe different types percieve characters differently. Really its all how you personally view the character.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

You know, I think you are confusing many things. The first being that just like any ordinary being, introverts can be happy, and extroverts can be depressed (especially when they suffer from a constant pain).

1) House is very clearly a Ne-dom, and as every Ne-dom, he gets quickly bored of everything. That's why he enjoys nothing less but to play and tease people around him. He needs external stimulis to keep his enthusiasm up.

2) The thinking function of ENTPs is Ti, which means he has to "retreat within himself" when he "needs to really think on".

3) Nonetheless, he's a skilled manipulator (tertiary Fe), even if he lacks Fi (= concern for other people/ethical code).

To profile him, you should rather use cognitive functions. And the result is Ne-Ti-Fe, and not at all Ni-Te-Fi.

Bingo. He's practically a charicature of an ENTP. A misanthropic ENTP, but an ENTP nonetheless.

deleted
nah, its not that big of a deal for me. I see him as very INTJ (with ENTP a second, as of Ivy's post). Maybe different types percieve characters differently. Really its all how you personally view the character.

True, I'm interested in how you personally view the character. But like you're saying, it's just not a big enough deal to make an argument over. Anyone is correct as long as they think they are.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Bingo. He's practically a charicature of an ENTP. A misanthropic ENTP, but an ENTP nonetheless.

ENTPs come in varied flavours... :jew:

Some are philanthropic, some are misanthropic; some are sarcastic, some are rather enthusiastic... and so on...

But there's always the need to play and avoid any repetitive task.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ

1) House is very clearly a Ne-dom, and as every Ne-dom, he gets quickly bored of everything. That's why he enjoys nothing less but to play and tease people around him. He needs external stimulis to keep his enthusiasm up.

To profile him, you should rather use cognitive functions. And the result is Ne-Ti-Fe, and not at all Ni-Te-Fi.

I'm a happy introvert. Well, happy in the sense that I'm not depressed.

I did look at the cognitive functions aspect as well.
Also, since there's such an argument over his type, he is one of the fictional characters that can't be easily typed.

I hate to use myself as an example, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

I've taken the Cognitive processes test three times. I've taken practically every credibly MBTI test out there multiple times (the real one first though). I'm typed INTJ for a very large percent of the MBTI tests, and I've been typed INTP only when I rush it. (I've tried experimenting different tests with different mindsets and the like)
However, on the cognitive processes test, I scored INTP, ENTP, and INTJ respectively each time I took it. (over like two weeks)

I have mostly Te but very close Ne, Ti, and Ni. And yet I know personally (from social steryotypes to trademarked descriptins to my own insight) that I am INTJ. So maybe there's something similar going on there. (I'm definitely not an expert and so I have little to suggest here).

Also, as was pointed out, he is in constant pain. it is touched upon that he is "happier" on stronger meds, less pain, etc. -both as a moral issue in the plot line and development of his character. He is also extremely angered when the truth is kept from him (Lol, season 5 episode 17- watched it last night. free on some site) and would be much "happier" with the truth. The pain may play apart in changing what we see to what he "truly" is without it.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there are about a million inuendo-like remarks that could be made about this particular train of thought.

How INTJ of you to point that! An ENTP (like House) would just give me something to suck on.
There's your difference, right there! ;)

Last edited:

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
How INTJ of you to point that out! An ENTP (like House) would just give me something to suck on.
There's your difference, right there! ;)

something to suck on.

I'm also in high school, its a given I'll be retarted with things like this. I get alot of practice.

Also, I think it was something to suck on in itself. Left up to the immagination for some, a vivid mental immage for others. House wouldn't have said "A lime flavored vag bag for ya", he would've said something alluding to the fact that some people could take what is being said as a dirty joke.

Haha, or would've gone "I never knew you were that kinky."

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
I meant House is generous with his popsicles. I've no idea what you are referring to.

LOLOLOLOL.

I've actually done things like that in real life. (or on the internet for that matter, haha)
I find it terribly amusing though. It makes them so uncomfortable.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
House as INTJ... (Caveat: I'm watching season one.)

Y'ever see him plan anything? Anything at all? Even the semblance of a plan?

And when it's diagnosis time, it's white board and an audience time, not retreat to the books, find the answer, then tell everyone to suck it and see time.

And an INTJ in chronic pain? Would they even go into work? How come he isn't plotting his suicide and blurting it out to people around him?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
House is ENTP, yeah, but how are the other charachters? I thik Wilson is INFJ, Chase is ISTP, Lawrence Kutner ESTP, Eric Foreman ISTJ and Lisa Cuddy ESFJ or ESTJ, what do you think about?