• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters
R

Riva

In her defense, she's an INFP. And an INFP isn't an INFP unless he/she cries everyday.

I'm quite fond of her though. :wubbie:

Regarding House -

I'm certain he is an INTJ. His ideas are too precise. The guess work leads to definite conclusions followed by an 'episode shocking' AHA moment.

Now that's INTJ.

A

Anew Leaf

Crying?? It was a happy ending! House finally did something unselfishly. Kinda.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It wasn't that glorious... he's still an ass.

R

Riva

Perhaps Sri Lankan clowns are quite unlike Western clowns.

The less intentionally funny, more socially awkward, and least likely to take him/herself seriously the funnier it is for the on-looker you should know, dear Frisian Nico.

And yes, in that sense Sri Lankan clowns probably are quite unlike Western clowns.

R

Riva

Summons [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] whom I've heard is good at this / typing people.

Yes I'm testing you and yes I want this thread bumped.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never watched the show. If I should eventually do so, I shall chime in with an opinion.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
clearly an extravert and NT, also pretty clear P, and he acts like an ENTP who is pissed off at life and at being handicapped.

edit. lol @ all those people voting for an INTJ.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh yeah, [MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] asked me to share my thoughts. i think entj for various reasons. I think his insanity stems not from creativity but from remorse because he is too emotionally cut off and the drugs entp would be my 2nd guess.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think entj for various reasons.

why inferior Fi? i mean the whole being of house screams undeveloped Fe that is clearly guiding his choices all the time :/ . not to mention that he is very P, shows up at work when he wants to, does what ever he wants and not care what the authorities want him to do. his ideas also scream dom Ne with aux Ti, the certainties about his intuitions(which obviously come from external environment) when figuring out a diagnosis. also, he carries his stick on his hand, not in his ass :D

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I view Se as his hidden agenda (and source of his aggression) with Si as polr (because his medical condition cannot be helped and he cannot control it he medicates with drugs) with Fe as role function which he feels expected to do but is not good at as you said.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I view Se as his hidden agenda (and source of his aggression) with Si as polr (because his medical condition cannot be helped and he cannot control it he medicates with drugs) with Fe as role function which he feels expected to do but is not good at as you said.

when people are suffering, they tend to be directed more by their more unconscious tert/inferior. NTJs doesent give a flying fuck about helping others when they are suffering themselves. NTPs on the other hand are opposites about it. i mean have you seen how many times house has put a bet on his own ass in order to save someone else? i dont understand this "jagged lightning insane thinking" you are talking about. neither do i see house being very methodological in his approach(i mean he is a doctor and has to follow some routines, but he pretty much only follows those that he sees being relevant to his intuitive idea of the problem), he pretty much just throws some intuitive idea around and goes with it and if it doesent work, he gets a new idea. also those brainstorming sessions that he has with his team(which are really just for giving house ideas, not to actually trust what others think) is very ENTP and not ENTJ at all. ENTJ would be more methodological in his approach(which house is not like), follow the correct procedures(which house only does to the extend that he thinks is enough, like taking blood tests before starting treatment), not brake any rules that might get them in trouble(which house does) etc etc

ps. i have an ENTP friend who is very much like house, except that he isnt as cynical due to some injuries, but the intuitive ideas and certainties about them are very similar, also his mind works in very similar manner and because he is well educated, he isnt the typical "yay lets jump off the bridge" type of ENTP and is quite heavy in Ti.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
I agree with ENTP for House - if you watch the episode 'Alone', it points out how House NEEDS someone to interact with to think. Besides, look at the way he just struts up and engages people; he may DETEST them at the same time, but introverts don't derive quite so much energy from interacting with anyone they can. If he were an introvert, he would be fine staying in his office alone all day...his extroversion drives him to walk out and annoy/play pranks on people, toy with or study his patients, etc...even though he simultaneously detests the human element that seeps its way into said interactions!

Now, Cameron: does everyone agree ENFJ? My girlfriend was a confirmed ENFJ so...yeah, no arguments here! (Seriously, sometimes I almost thought the actress playing Cameron must have known and been copying her, lol.)

I don't see Thirteen as a thinker at all; initially she gave the impression of being 'emotionally detached', but that was merely her introversion making her guarded around people she doesn't know well. As the episodes go on, she's often shown as the FIRST to feel hurt by things, to have her heart go out to other people, etc. I'm thinking INFJ, maybe?

Cuddy...hmm, the way she objectivized even raising her newborn child ("Wait, why am I not experiencing bonding feelings yet?? Let me consult the textbook on that to see if it means I love her...") tells me thinker. An emotional one yes, but thinkers can be emotional just like feelers can be detached.

How about Masters??

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
House: ENTP (Wilson once called him a person who cannot be alone)
Wilson: Introverted Feeler
Cuddy: ESFJ
Foreman: INFJ (He is very empathetic and makes decisions based on feelings)
Chase: Some sort of STJ (can be cynical, does not want to get in trouble, does what he is told)
Cameron: ENFJ

I didn't watch most of the new episodes, so I can't make a guess about the newer characters.

R

Riva

when people are suffering, they tend to be directed more by their more unconscious tert/inferior. NTJs doesent give a flying fuck about helping others when they are suffering themselves. NTPs on the other hand are opposites about it. i mean have you seen how many times house has put a bet on his own ass in order to save someone else? i dont understand this "jagged lightning insane thinking" you are talking about. neither do i see house being very methodological in his approach(i mean he is a doctor and has to follow some routines, but he pretty much only follows those that he sees being relevant to his intuitive idea of the problem), he pretty much just throws some intuitive idea around and goes with it and if it doesent work, he gets a new idea. also those brainstorming sessions that he has with his team(which are really just for giving house ideas, not to actually trust what others think) is very ENTP and not ENTJ at all. ENTJ would be more methodological in his approach(which house is not like), follow the correct procedures(which house only does to the extend that he thinks is enough, like taking blood tests before starting treatment), not brake any rules that might get them in trouble(which house does) etc etcps. i have an ENTP friend who is very much like house, except that he isnt as cynical due to some injuries, but the intuitive ideas and certainties about them are very similar, also his mind works in very similar manner and because he is well educated, he isnt the typical "yay lets jump off the bridge" type of ENTP and is quite heavy in Ti.
1)From what I have noticed intjs are quite helpful. Helpful to a level of putting the needs of others over their own sometimes. This is probably due to them being really good at time management/calculation and adhering to their plans. So they are able to quickly sum up whether they could afford to help another eventhough they themselves are busy or suffering. You should start a thread on this topic and question them. 2)House is methodical. However his methodical ness isn't rule bound. Ni has the ability to select what is relevant and what is not. 3)Yes he only follows what is relevant. Ntjs are known to do that. 4)He doesn't throw ideas around and change it when he gets new ideas. He bases his hunches on facts and changes his belief in the previous hunch when new facts are found. 5)Intjs are fully capable of brainstorming. However they would brainstorm to get their hunches working. Pacing around, brainstorming, taking long walks are ways to get ones hunches going. And as you mentioned he brainstorms just to get ideas. This screams intj. Entp would be pressurized to add the needs/thoughts of others due to their tert fe to their camp especially at a team attempt. Intjs wouldn't feel such pressure (which is considered to be a weakness). They would use, be convinced/have a hunch, implement, tell others (in a very Te way) that they believe themselves to be right and if capable/necessary would present facts. 6) Ntjs would break rules if they can get away with them. And house knows he can. He also has a bit of a self sabotaging tendency which should be considered. I believe this is a psychological issue that has nothing to do with his mbti type. 7) I'm glad to hear you have another friend. I hope the intj one isn't jealous.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
1)From what I have noticed intjs are quite helpful. Helpful to a level of putting the needs of others over their own sometimes. This is probably due to them being really good at time management/calculation and adhering to their plans. So they are able to quickly sum up whether they could afford to help another eventhough they themselves are busy or suffering. You should start a thread on this topic and question them. 2)House is methodical. However his methodical ness isn't rule bound. Ni has the ability to select what is relevant and what is not. 3)Yes he only follows what is relevant. Ntjs are known to do that. 4)He doesn't throw ideas around and change it when he gets new ideas. He bases his hunches on facts and changes his belief in the previous hunch when new facts are found. 5)Intjs are fully capable of brainstorming. However they would brainstorm to get their hunches working. Pacing around, brainstorming, taking long walks are ways to get ones hunches going. And as you mentioned he brainstorms just to get ideas. This screams intj. Entp would be pressurized to add the needs/thoughts of others due to their tert fe to their camp especially at a team attempt. Intjs wouldn't feel such pressure (which is considered to be a weakness). They would use, be convinced/have a hunch, implement, tell others (in a very Te way) that they believe themselves to be right and if capable/necessary would present facts. 6) Ntjs would break rules if they can get away with them. And house knows he can. He also has a bit of a self sabotaging tendency which should be considered. I believe this is a psychological issue that has nothing to do with his mbti type. 7) I'm glad to hear you have another friend. I hope the intj one isn't jealous.

none of your arguments are even remotely convincing to me and just sound like you are trying to fit facts to your own ideas by modifying the facts a bit and using rationalization to fit your idea better.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Summons [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] whom I've heard is good at this / typing people.

Yes I'm testing you and yes I want this thread bumped.

I've now watched all eight seasons, straight through.

My final verdict:
House the character is INTJ.
The actor playing him is ENTP.
The writer(s) of the show are very INFJ.

He is not an extrovert. Most of his time is spent thinking, alone.

His intuition is Ni, not Ne. He doesn't brainstorm himself. His team brainstorms for him, and Ni picks the idea(s) that look most productive to him. When he diagnoses solo, he sees a single clue (Se), and synthesizes that clue into an overall explanation of everything (Ni). (A lot of his synthesis has an INFJ feel to it, positing personality traits of the patient, etc., due to the writers' INFJ bent.) He tends to jump to conclusions and insist that he be allowed to follow through on the diagnosis, which annoys his fellow (usually NTP-ish) doctors to no end.

The extroversion I do see is of the Te variety. Writing symptoms on a whiteboard and staring at them and crossing them out is a very Te activity. The brainstorming from his team is also dealt with in a Te way: an idea is quickly determined to be good or bad, and once the ideas are all out there, a decision is quickly made. Ti would tend to hem and haw a lot more. His team hems and haws, but House makes decisions quickly and decisively. The team is worried about getting the diagnosis correct, frets about possibilities; House stays quiet, then makes his diagnosis/prescription, and doesn't let the arguments last beyond that point. If he makes a mistake, that becomes a new datapoint and he reevaluates via Ni. Often, he deliberately makes a choice that he knows might be wrong, because HOW the choice ends up being wrong will provide additional data for the diagnosis. This is a Te approach in that making mistakes is deliberately used to figure things out in an iterative way; Ti prefers to avoid mistakes.

When I see him relate closely to individuals (the girl in the 3rd season with whom he spent a lot of time in a single episode, the woman he met in the asylum in season 5, Cuddy in season 6/7), the emotion is almost entirely on an Fi level.

And his stress modes exude Se, whether juggling, playing action-oriented video games, drinking, popping Vicodin, riding a motorcycle, whoring, or driving a car into a house.

None of this is 100% consistent, of course, due to the influence of the writers and the actor, but overall, what House does and how he does it says INTJ. The writers' INFJ-ness add to the overall INTJ feel by giving House very Ni psychological experiences, especially w/r to talking to imaginary people, and I suspect the inferior Se implied by the writers' being INFJ reveals itself in House's stress reactions. I also see an INFJ influence in the psychological nature of House's various pranks, and baiting of his team to pick on their current psychological insecurities.

In spite of the inconsistencies, what remains consistent is how his psychological breaks happen. They're very Ni-ish, with Se stress relief, and there is an overall ESFP vibe to how he becomes completely reckless.