• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's a very grumpy ENTP.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Hooray, time to bump this thread because I couldn't find a newer one.

I really don't understand why people think house is Ne over Ni. House seems to be the only show out there where it gives a close look into Ni. Sure, he does like to brainstorm, but I'm wondering if that may be a bit more Se in his case rather than Ne. Whenever he comes up with an idea, it's Ni that does it. On the other hand, House is CLEARLY a Ti user. I don't even know how you would argue Te in his case. After all, the whole show revolves around him eager to solve the Ti puzzles put before him. If he doesn't see a case as interesting enough, he doesn't want to bother exercising his Ti on it.

So it seems to me that House is somehow simultaneously a Ti and Ni user, which doesn't really follow any sort of type. I suppose you'd either end up with INFJ or ISTP, and House is most definitely NOT a feeler. So then I can only come to the odd conclusion of ISTP when looking at functions. :huh: It's interesting because I don't think I've ever seen this suggested for him before.

If I completely ignore functions, I'd place him as an INT leaning INTJ.

I'm not sure what's gong on here. :/

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hooray, time to bump this thread because I couldn't find a newer one.

I really don't understand why people think house is Ne over Ni. House seems to be the only show out there where it gives a close look into Ni. Sure, he does like to brainstorm, but I'm wondering if that may be a bit more Se in his case rather than Ne. Whenever he comes up with an idea, it's Ni that does it. On the other hand, House is CLEARLY a Ti user. I don't even know how you would argue Te in his case. After all, the whole show revolves around him eager to solve the Ti puzzles put before him. If he doesn't see a case as interesting enough, he doesn't want to bother exercising his Ti on it.

So it seems to me that House is somehow simultaneously a Ti and Ni user, which doesn't really follow any sort of type. I suppose you'd either end up with INFJ or ISTP, and House is most definitely NOT a feeler. So then I can only come to the odd conclusion of ISTP when looking at functions. :huh: It's interesting because I don't think I've ever seen this suggested for him before.

If I completely ignore functions, I'd place him as an INT leaning INTJ.

I'm not sure what's gong on here. :/

W/r to the bold, that's why MBTI is often more helpful for typing people than function theory, especially w/r to fictional characters whose actors are of a different type - the physical mannerisms and energy levels can indicate a completely different type than the character. But if you look at what the character does without the actor in consideration, the "intended" type becomes more clear, assuming there is one at all.

W/r to Ni vs Ti, this is a huge issue with the function tests (including Nardi's really old one). INTJs and INTPs both score high in Ni and Ne, and Ti and Te. It's because what INTx types do is so very similar with no concrete references to show how different they are. A Ti-Ne type will tend to throw out a lot of random ideas and use Ti to eliminate the bad ones, and you'll mostly see the Ne and not the Ti. An Ni-Te type tend to have to-the point discussions (Te) and then take the content of that and using Ni to synthesize an overall theory. You'll see the Te, which is rather authoritarian, and short, with no vague meandering speech as is common for Ne types. I think this fits House better (if not perfectly, as he does some really random shit later on that could be classified as Ne-dom-ish that can be perhaps explained as an Se-inferior outburst).

As for the brainstorming, notice that HE isn't the one brainstorming the ideas to the group. He lets the group brainstorm for him. If he were xNTP, he'd totally be brainstorming random ideas himself. But he can't do that: he lets his group do it, and then he can use Ni to sift through that and draw a map of the truth. Also note that he occasionally gets things wrong, intuiting a diagnosis and then trying it out (Te) only to meet with failure, while a Ti-Ne type would insist on not trying anything until absolutely sure or there was nothing left to lose. And when he gets something wrong, it's almost always because he had an incorrect piece of evidence (Se). Ni heavily relies on being aware of an entire context in order to be accurate.

Finally, while Ti doms are definitely puzzle-solvers, their forte is generally contextless puzzles, where you have all of the pieces and the only thing left is to fit them together. The Ni dom forte is to take puzzles in context and using that context to determine what the missing pieces are, and from there coming to a correct conclusion. This is what I as an INTJ do in my daily work life: I solve other people's puzzles for them.

Jaguar

Love the sarcasm in this exchange:

Dr. Foreman: Aren't there better ways to spend our time?
Dr. House: Good question. What makes a person deserving? Is a man who cheats on his wife more deserving than a man who kills his wife?
Dr. Foreman: Uh yeah. Actually, he is.
Dr. House: What about a child molester? Certainly not a good guy, but he didn't kill anybody. Maybe he can get antibiotics, but no MRIs. What about you? What medical care should you be denied for being a car thief? Tell you what: the three of you work out a list of what medical treatments a person loses based on the crime they committed. I'll review it when I get back.

He may be fictitious, but how he expresses his clear disdain for subjective treatment of patients based on moral rubbish is palpable.

Dr. Foreman: You have no evidence to support a poisoning diagnosis.
Dr. House: Which is why it's going to be so cool when I turn out to be right.

And people actually make threads to ask "What is Ni?" Amazing.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
W/r to Ni vs Ti, this is a huge issue with the function tests (including Nardi's really old one). INTJs and INTPs both score high in Ni and Ne, and Ti and Te. It's because what INTx types do is so very similar with no concrete references to show how different they are. A Ti-Ne type will tend to throw out a lot of random ideas and use Ti to eliminate the bad ones, and you'll mostly see the Ne and not the Ti. An Ni-Te type tend to have to-the point discussions (Te) and then take the content of that and using Ni to synthesize an overall theory. You'll see the Te, which is rather authoritarian, and short, with no vague meandering speech as is common for Ne types. I think this fits House better (if not perfectly, as he does some really random shit later on that could be classified as Ne-dom-ish that can be perhaps explained as an Se-inferior outburst).

This is veering off topic, but it reminds me...

1. Function tests have always really put me off. Everyone seems to love them for some reason, but they are far too abstract to be at all applied to one's daily life. I have come across maybe one (possibly two) decently worded function test, but it was flawed in another way and I can't seem to remember what it was.

2. Part of the issue in some of these typing threads is that no one seems to have a consensus on what Te really is in the first place. Some people claim it's merely about organizing, others claim it's about empiricism, and others seem to say it's some other third option. From what I've seen, it's one of the most inconsistently defined functions out there. Someone really just needs to sit down and come up with something that makes sense and that everyone can agree on so we can stop with all of the silliness and misunderstanding in regards to it.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=6554]/DG/[/MENTION] Try reading Nardi's Neuroscience of Personality

I think it helps describe the "brain patterns" of each function a lot better than prior works.