• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
First for sure.

Maybe it is the way Hugh Laurie plays him, but I actually see him as enthusiastic(ly derisive), active, gregarious (he has fun cutting into people), and initiating (I think a lot of INTs may want to be like him, but are too introverted to initiate the type of trouble he does--caused Foreman to leave when he tried).

He certainly is not Reciveing, Contained, Intimate, or Quiet. He has his reflective moments, but just keeps on ticking.

:yes: :yes:

Now that this door has been opened I can't think of him in any other way. Introvert never really did sit well with me- he's not reflective enough. His energy, although it's not exactly friendly, is very outwardly-oriented.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Maybe it is the way Hugh Laurie plays him, but I actually see him as enthusiastic(ly derisive), active, gregarious (he has fun cutting into people), and initiating (I think a lot of INTs may want to be like him, but are too introverted to initiate the type of trouble he does--caused Foreman to leave when he tried).

... Great, now I'm going to get dragged into breaking all of these done. I'm going to try to avoid that, but here's the short interpretation, from memory.

Enthusiastic means with energy. As in, universally with energy. Not someone who goes home and misers himself. Not someone who exists for just one thing.

Initiating means going out and talking to people. Starting conversations. Conversing just for the sake of it.

Expressive means with energy - literally, with positive energy.

... and I can't remember the other two now. Ah well.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, how many INTJs are that involved in the gossip and love lives of those around them?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Initiating means going out and talking to people. Starting conversations. Conversing just for the sake of it.

Yep, that's House.

"You were bouncing ideas off the janitor!"
-Wilson

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yep, that's House.

-Wilson

Yah, that's a conversation.

*shrug* Take the MBTI on his behalf... that's what I do when I have doubts. If he took it, I doubt he'd be any less than 75% I.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

*shrug* Take the MBTI on his behalf... that's what I do when I have doubts. If he took it, I doubt he'd be any less than 75% I.

That's because I don't view the preferences in isolation.

I'm much more willing to accept he's a J.

Damn, look at me, arguing in favor of a damn extravert...

omnirook would never believe it.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
That's because I don't view the preferences in isolation.

Eh? I'm not sure how that makes a difference. If he tests I, he tests I. If you saying that he's not a I because, regardless if he tests that way, because other traits are dominant... isn't that the same as saying his other traits are causing him to act the way he is?

ygolo

My termites win

Every ENTP (based on tests they took themselves) I've known has been the same way as House. My, x-boss, for example will strike-up random conversations with people for kicks (he calls it his "information sucking machine") but goes home and just works on his car, computer or some other project without caring one way or the other if he has company. As a kid, he was found disruptive because he spent too much time chatting with his fellow classmates. I can totally see House being the same way. I have another ENTP friend who is so into TV and video games, that he hardly spends anytime outside of that. But he is the most outgoing of all of my college friends by far, and the most likely to make a fool of himself on the dance floor w/o caring. I went to a high-school that had a large number of ENTPs (tested in school--special school for "special" kids). A good number of them didn't socialize much, not because they didn't like it, but simply because they had a preponderance of solitary interests (I don't think they realize they are "alone" while pursuing those interests).

I don't think he is "misering", he may just have tons of project ideas. Let's not forget the guy also seems to have some deep issues we barely know about.

Anyway, I like watching House, and am still pissed that my DVR mangled the season opener.

Last edited:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eh? I'm not sure how that makes a difference. If he tests I, he tests I. If you saying that he's not a I because, regardless if he tests that way, because other traits are dominant... isn't that the same as saying his other traits are causing him to act the way he is?

I think those tests look at behavior too much. Which is okay most of the time, but would really miss in a case like this.

Andy K Octopus

MBTI Type
INFJ
House? I would say that he is an INTX. He needs time alone to recharge his batteries, he is very intuitive about medical problems, he is probably more rational than emotional, and the last letter is debatable.

Andy K Octopus

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes, how many INTJs are that involved in the gossip and love lives of those around them?

I am an INFJ and I have an unfortunate tendency to be attracted to gossip amongst peers. Even when I don't spread any of it around (I try to not gossip, especially about embarrassing things that happened to my friends), but I like to be "in the loop" as far as gossip amongst my friends goes.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I am an INFJ and I have an unfortunate tendency to be attracted to gossip amongst peers. Even when I don't spread any of it around (I try to not gossip, especially about embarrassing things that happened to my friends), but I like to be "in the loop" as far as gossip amongst my friends goes.

The two INTJs I know really well are the same. I use to get messages or even calls/visits from one of them - we use to go to lunch a couple of times a week when we worked in the same town... Just to bounce ideas around. Not as much gossip, more technical stuff (in his case, financial stuff).

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ

I think House is INTJ, not because I'm INTJ but more because if I was in his position, I would be more like him (maybe worse). How many INTJ are involved in gossip and the love lives of those around them? Well, all of the ones who want to be able to gather as much information so that they can manipulate and use that information to their advantage. I don't spread gossip but I definately love to be "in the loop" so that I can appear to be the one who know everything. The best way to manipulate and take advantage of a situation is to involve oneself in the gossip and what not of other people.

So, on behalf of an INTJ, I do get involved in the gossip and life of other people. How else can we truely dominate this world without that information, false as it could be? :devil:

Yep, that's House.

-Wilson

Just because House is bouncing ideas off the janitor doesn't make him an extravert. Just because you claim he needs an audiance, doesn't make him an extravert. He has more introverted tendancies and more negative emotions than all the extraverts I know. I will accept that he may be a weak introvert but I would say he leans more towards an introvert than an extrovert. A truely good INTJ would know how to manipulate the situations they are in and of course an INTJ would need an audiance, how else would he get others to do his bidding. Plus, as an INTJ, I need the audience so that I can recruite more followers. An INTJ never wants to think that he/she is wrong, I would say he's bouncing ideas off the janitor because he lost his team and he need reassurance that he still has it. Someone who doesn't know better than him will not threaten this "God-like" image of himself!

I just saw the season opener. He wants / needs an audience. He hates that he needs them, but he needs them.

I haven't seen the season opener, I have yet to borrow it from a friend, but I don't think it's fair that you lable him an extrovert just because he needs an audience. To be fair, introverts needs an audience as well. When I worked as a shift manager in a restaurant, I was very outgoing - many people would say I was an extravert then. I was outgoing because I had to and it made my life very easy at work, I could do what I want, I had people buying me things, giving me things...easy manipulation for very little effort. I see House that way, he only involves himself with his little world around the hospital, manipulating information around this world of his. His emotions and feelings towards people (even the people he work with) are negative. He doesn't like people, most introverts don't.

Anyways, I'm just saying...he's a fictional character so I don't think it really matters what he is, he changes according to the writers.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I haven't seen the season opener, I have yet to borrow it from a friend, but I don't think it's fair that you lable him an extrovert just because he needs an audience. ... His emotions and feelings towards people (even the people he work with) are negative. He doesn't like people, most introverts don't.

These damned quotes don't nest, it's annoying. My quote was quote which was originally quoting something else, which is why it looks like I was saying he's an extrovert because he needs an audience... Let me see if I can get this...

Originally I said:

I thought this for sure for a long time [INTJ], then the last few episodes of season 3 made me think differently (INTP). I'm not sure one way or the other anymore.

I think Foreman might be an INTJ, though.

To which Mac replied:

ENTx.

A misanthropic extravert. And yes, I can back this up you introvert bigots.

Arandur replied:

When it comes to INTJ vs INTP, I'd have to say INTJ, because he's got that confidence thing going on.

I can see how you'd get ENTx (I'd say ENTJ), MacGuffin, and I'd love to hear you explain.

Mac came back with:

I actually lean ENTP cause he does do some quiet thinking on his own. Ti - the second function of ENTPs.

The rest I'll reveal later.

And jigilo posted this - which sums it all up:

Cool. A show I actually watch. New show tomorrow?

T for sure, (or a really, really, screwed up F). He has issues, that can make him more cold and mean, but I really don't see any internal dynamic causing him to switch from F to T.

Definitely abstract in his approach to medical problems (and he approaches everything in life the same way, which also seems to indicate an NT). So I would say N.

He is a misanthrope, but he cannot keep his mouth shut in many of the situations he'd in.

I would have initially pegged him for an extroverted NT. But there are a lot of moments where simply wants to be left alone to think.

E/I is hard to say. His approach to problem solving screams ENTP to me (based on ENTPs I know IRL) and not at all like ENTJs, INTJs, or INTPs I know in real life (possible circular reasoning here).

He is decisive and directive, but it seems like that only applies on the job, where he knows his stuff and is the boss. INTPs/ENTPs I know at work (confirmed by tests) can be equally adamant, decisive and directive about what they want done (but are much more easy going outside of work).

He defies authority (SP/NT usually), but the way he does it has a very "Richard Feynman" feel to it (Which points me to ENTP).

Rule breaking is part of his own system clashing with the established one, not really based on a pragmatic motive to make an impact. So again I am thinking NT.

Cognitive Function-It may be due to the shows presentation, but if you watch the plane episode where he is trying to make a diagnosis, and another one where he is dreaming while making a diagnosis, he is almost useless without the people he has to bounce ideas off of. Seems very Ne to me (it will be interesting how well he actually does without a team). I would say the way he does things strongly points to an iNtuitive function in charge not a Thinking function (Cutty on the other hand seems to be lead by Te).

Interaction Style-
  • At first it may seem like he likes being in charge, but I believe her really feels a lot more comfortable knowing Cutty is the boss.
  • Foreman seems like the iconic Chart-the-Course style (and I think is a good INTJ candidate) but it is clear that his style is different from House's more free-flowing style of leading differential diagnosis.
  • The only clear Behind-The-Scenes one on the show was Chase (who I think is an INxP, seminary, UFOs, ...).
  • House's style seems to me to be a Get-Things-Going style, contrasted with Cutty's, Foreman's, and Chase's.
  • Cameron, I am not sure about.

In sum, I am going with ENTP.

Finally:

Cool, I don't have to make the argument myself!

The plane episode is key. He recruited a useless team for no logical reason other than to have an audience to play to.

Extravert!

I really think Foreman is an INTJ and House is not, while I *heart* House, I don't see much INTJness in him on the whole. The hate for mankind shadowed my initial belief - I just never thought of Es as being misanthropic.

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just because House is bouncing ideas off the janitor doesn't make him an extravert. Just because you claim he needs an audiance, doesn't make him an extravert. He has more introverted tendancies and more negative emotions than all the extraverts I know. I will accept that he may be a weak introvert but I would say he leans more towards an introvert than an extrovert. A truely good INTJ would know how to manipulate the situations they are in and of course an INTJ would need an audiance, how else would he get others to do his bidding. Plus, as an INTJ, I need the audience so that I can recruite more followers. An INTJ never wants to think that he/she is wrong, I would say he's bouncing ideas off the janitor because he lost his team and he need reassurance that he still has it. Someone who doesn't know better than him will not threaten this "God-like" image of himself!

Great analysis, Nonpareil, I think definitely INTx.

And Wilson is a great example of a male NF, he's always digging into House's personal life & trying to challenge him to be a better person, even if it hurts his own pride. There was also an episode that explored Wilson's relationships, how he was easily able to connect with women & his patients emotionally.

Anyways, I'm just saying...he's a fictional character so I don't think it really matters what he is, he changes according to the writers.

Yes, but he seems INTx in real life too, I saw an interview with him recently, & he was bragging about how he had never asked a woman out, much like your pt! ;)

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ
Great analysis, Nonpareil, I think definitely INTx.
Thanks, I don't know if I made any sense. I was just rambling away at work (obviously not working) becaue I was offended that House could be an E, since his portrayal (if he was an E) has tainted my image of E's - since all the extroverts I know are people lovers.

The only reason why I think he is an J over a P is because he seems to make decisions too fast to be a P. I find, with J's, once they have decided something, they will do it. House does that. Then when new information comes in, he changes (NT) what he wants to do accordingly. I see P's as someone who would think the problem out for a long time before acting.

Anyways, House is messed up in many ways, that's probably why we argue about what type he is. If he was an INTJ or and INTx, I really don't want to be like him - although, if I had the same issues, I might just be...he's a bastard but I love him (or his show at least)! :wubbie:
And Wilson is a great example of a male NF, he's always digging into House's personal life & trying to challenge him to be a better person, even if it hurts his own pride. There was also an episode that explored Wilson's relationships, how he was easily able to connect with women & his patients emotionally.

Yeah, Wilson has to be an f, he cares too much about people! Not that that's a bad thing for doctors. :yes:
Yes, but he seems INTx in real life too, I saw an interview with him recently, & he was bragging about how he had never asked a woman out, much like your pt! ;)
I've never seen House, outside of the series so I can't say what I think he is in real life.

But yeah, pt still brags :tongue: about how he has never asked a woman out! What can I say, he's just that amazing, women just can't keeps there hands away! :hug: But I guess I tamed his heart though, or at least I like to think so! :devil:

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ
Sorry Nat for misunderstanding you! Please forgive me, I still have a hard time keep track of all the posts...maybe that's why I don't post as much as I want - I keep misunderstanding things! :doh: