• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Responding to Xander and Aeth.

If you think House is INTJ you don't fully understand introversion and extraveraion.
Its as simple as that.

Apparently I'd misunderstood how Ne worked, and I'd therefore changed my opinion to INTP. However, that still makes my guess an introvert, but that's more based on my opinion of his function order rather than the whole introversion/extroversion thing. I stand by my earlier statement that in terms of introversion/extroversion, he's probably somewhere close to the dividing line and that my guess is he's an introvert due to the way he constantly pushes people away and likes spending time alone. I do realize that it's possible for someone to be raised in the conditions that he was raised in and as a result are suppressed extroverts, though in my opinion the reason he seems extroverted is due to his auxiliary trait being highly developped (which it is either way).

My initial reasoning for him being INTP was that he only seems to bring out his Ne during cases (or when he's randomly analysing his staff), but not all the time, whereas he's always interested in logical analysis. After looking into it more, there seems to be furthur evidence to support it. Earlier I'd stated that he acted under a moral code (which was my case for Fi), but now I believe him to act under a code of principals which is derived from dominant Ti. Also, he becomes interested in cases due to logical discrepensies (a result of Ti), after which Ne comes into play.

I also find it interesting that the more stressed he get, the more outwardly emotional he gets. This particularly happens when his Vicodin is taken away, though I'm not sure whether or not drug withdrawal should be considered in his functional analysis. Either way, under stress he resorts to yelling, attempting to wound others emotionally and being generally irrational, which could be seen as the result of an unhealthy Fe shadow. However, here's where my oh-so-pretty analysing breaks down, as I'm not entirely clear on what an Si-dominant shadow would look like, so I can't make that comparison.

Anyways, here's where I've been getting most of my information if you're curious about my sources. Feel free to randomly pick apart and destroy any of my points.

RunnDMC

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think he's an INTP.

His disdain of rules and established order make him scream P to me. Plus he'll change his mind on a whim when new material arises and he's never hesitates to cut corners. The only part of him that seems J is the fact that he's stubborn but P's can be stubborn, especially arrogant ones.

And I think his E and I are close either way. I'd lean towards I just from the simple fact that he has one friend. I can see that he's loud, and the opposite of shy but he does tend to hole himself up. Like I said I think it could really go either way but I'd lean towards I since the show always tries to make a big deal about the fact he doesn't like anyone and chooses to stay in reclusion.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
He seems very INTP to me. The way he always leaves everyone hanging when he is coming to a conclusion and just darts off to go complete the puzzle within his head. He does not seem to have the smallest trace of Fi in him; I don't see how so many think he's INTJ. He is obviously an introvert.. very, very little regard for the outside world unless he is teaching them or using them in some way.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I don't see how so many think he's INTJ.
Cause he's the boss, he's always right and there's usually no point in arguing the toss with him unless you have a spare half hour and you don't mind spending it listening to how you got it wrong ;)

To me it's classic INTJ (I tend to type all at once, not by individual letters) because he gives the answer but also doesn't really care if you don't believe him or not. He'll argue to get the job done but if the consequence is you frowning at him... who cares?

Oh that and he's the mirror of my INTJ mate... polarised but still a mirror.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
That doesn't explain anything, though.

How is the INTJ "the boss"? There are many INTJs on this forum that don't give me that impression in the least. It is MUCH more INTP to not care whether or not you believe his argument, for the truth is the end.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
That doesn't explain anything, though.

How is the INTJ "the boss"? There are many INTJs on this forum that don't give me that impression in the least. It is MUCH more INTP to not care whether or not you believe his argument, for the truth is the end.
You think?

I've seen few INTJs argue the toss. they state the answer and are prepared to walk away. The INTP strives for truth even when it's irrelevant, inconsequential or otherwise a waste of time.

I've always seen INTJs as more the pragmatists and Houses approach to medical "care" seems harshly "pragmatic".

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
You know what I think House is?

ANTP!! YEA!!!!

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Cause he's the boss, he's always right and there's usually no point in arguing the toss with him unless you have a spare half hour and you don't mind spending it listening to how you got it wrong ;)

None of this points away from ENTP, nor does it point specifically toward INTJ. IF you think so, you are wrong.

To me it's classic INTJ (I tend to type all at once, not by individual letters) because he gives the answer but also doesn't really care if you don't believe him or not. He'll argue to get the job done but if the consequence is you frowning at him... who cares?
These are only typical NT traits. Show me an ENTP who's concerned with how people perceive him, and I'll show you an ENFP.
Oh that and he's the mirror of my INTJ mate... polarised but still a mirror.
MacGuffin has more than once said I resemble House, as do many of my friends.

I'm absolutely positive I've correctly typed myself.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
You think?

I've seen few INTJs argue the toss. they state the answer and are prepared to walk away. The INTP strives for truth even when it's irrelevant, inconsequential or otherwise a waste of time.

I've always seen INTJs as more the pragmatists and Houses approach to medical "care" seems harshly "pragmatic".
Pragmatic to finding the truth. Like the NTPs do. Not to getting work done.

Besides, pragmatism is relative. On top of that, House is only staunchly pragmatic once it becomes a REAL mystery. Up until that point, he incessantly launches games and competitions, often deliberately disrupting the order (a non Te, and way Ne thing to do) sometimes doing so for that exclusive exclusive purpose.

An ENTP who's got a half-way decent Thinking faculty will turn pragmatic once they see that the games are getting in the way, but will otherwise allow themselves to play.

This is an exact counter-example of what the INTJ does. Refusal to cooperate in any game (we see this a lot in Foreman, who is obviously an INTJ) until everything is taken care of and settled.

See the first episode where Foreman comes back after quitting in the new season. The one with the guy who steals personality.

Once the case is solved, Foreman has the idea for a game. House started off with them.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Refute the plane episode and the season opener then.

Any type under duress can revert to using their inferior functions, and I think in a moment of extreme tension maybe he went off kilter a bit. I don't buy the plane episode as the deciding factor. Almost every other episode has House portraying very typical INTJ behaviors.

1. Disregard for authority
2. Implementing critical decisions without consent of the group
3. Extremely confident in work situations where he "knows what he knows", but interpersonal relationships take him under.
4. Seen as cold, aloof and calculating (or "arrogant to the less decisive"?)
5. Doesn't like to take the lead, but allows others to be in control until they demonstrate that they cannot do it.
6. Gives 'credit' to others on the team (although given with sarcasm a lot)
7. Remains calm in crisis

His character is practically plucked from the scattered INTJ descriptions across the net, and I think the writers use this personality every time they write his scenes. The theme for each eposide of the show could be the sum of our overall description - "He's a strategist, willing to entertain any idea, no matter how far-fetched if he thinks it can work, and needs only a vague inclination that he is correct to continue surely on his way."

:static:

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
And I think his E and I are close either way. I'd lean towards I just from the simple fact that he has one friend. I can see that he's loud, and the opposite of shy but he does tend to hole himself up. Like I said I think it could really go either way but I'd lean towards I since the show always tries to make a big deal about the fact he doesn't like anyone and chooses to stay in reclusion.

I think people are getting confused about what it means to be introverted or extroverted. An Introvert can be 'loud' and an Extrovert can be low-key. Its how you 'recouperate' or refill the tank so to speak that determines the I or E.

I'm an extremely friendly and outgoing Introvert, and people would probably peg me as an extrovert... but they don't realize that being so drains me to the core. If I don't find quiet time to myself to recharge, I turn nasty quick, and get really moody and start pushing people away from me.

House is like this in my opinion.

When he needs to think and get away from everything, he isn't going to parties and hanging out in large groups, he's alone somewhere, playing guitar or just sitting on something thinking.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Any type under duress can revert to using their inferior functions, and I think in a moment of extreme tension maybe he went off kilter a bit. I don't buy the plane episode as the deciding factor. Almost every other episode has House portraying very typical INTJ behaviors.

1. Disregard for authority
2. Implementing critical decisions without consent of the group
3. Extremely confident in work situations where he "knows what he knows", but interpersonal relationships take him under.
4. Seen as cold, aloof and calculating (or "arrogant to the less decisive"?)
5. Doesn't like to take the lead, but allows others to be in control until they demonstrate that they cannot do it.
6. Gives 'credit' to others on the team (although given with sarcasm a lot)
7. Remains calm in crisis
The interesting thing about every single one of your (borrowed) rubric is that they're consistent with intuitive dominant thinkers. Not just INTJs.

You and Xander ought to come up with some criteria that distinguish ENTP and INTJ, rather than these roundabout/vague methods.

The plane episode MacGuffin keeps mentioning is certainly not the only example. Consistently writing notes on the board is a symptom of extraversion.

Additionally, House's ability to keep track of several games and ideas bouncing back and forth between them is Ne. Ni can't do that. Ni is willing to see more than one angle, but it doesn't involve the same multitasking Ne does.

Watch for telltale multitasking.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Having argued with an INTJ and an ENTP at length I'd have to say that the stoic resistance to exterior thinking is more indicative of an INTJ then an ENTP.

With ENTPs the only thing which I've seen evidence of is them claiming not to care what other's think but responding to it anyhow where as the INTJs usually don't even care to explain let alone care whether you can follow the explanaition.

The INTJ who I was arguing with could not see what I was on about until I'd actually walked him to the answer using his own arguments. The ENTP refused to see this even after I'd walked him to it, instead looking for another reason why he was right and I was wrong.

Based on these and other "hanging" points in addition to a general impression of the character, ficticious as it is, I remain of the opinion that he's more likely an INTJ than an ENTP.

Each are entitled to their own opinion..

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
With ENTPs the only thing which I've seen evidence of is them claiming not to care what other's think but responding to it anyhow where as the INTJs usually don't even care to explain let alone care whether you can follow the explanaition.

Does this not sound Housey to you? It does to me! Hell, he assembles a team basically for the purpose of brainstorming with them, and then he berates them for having stupid ideas, but follows through on the good ones anyway.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Having argued with an INTJ and an ENTP at length I'd have to say that the stoic resistance to exterior thinking is more indicative of an INTJ then an ENTP.

How...

The INTJ who I was arguing with could not see what I was on about until I'd actually walked him to the answer using his own arguments.[/quote] You must be watching the wrong show if you think that sounds like House.
The ENTP refused to see this even after I'd walked him to it, instead looking for another reason why he was right and I was wrong.
You must be watching the wrong show if you think that doesn't sound like House.
Based on these and other "hanging" points in addition to a general impression of the character, ficticious as it is, I remain of the opinion that he's more likely an INTJ than an ENTP.

Each are entitled to their own opinion..

Again, none of this is inherently INTJ.
There ARE exclusive behaviors, believe it or not.

Type doesn't work by tendency. There's always an outlier right?

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I've just watched some clips and I do not get NTJ at all from House - it wouldn't surprise me if there was a storyline involving an (NT)J romantic interest to balance him out.

The cynicism/sarcasm --> immaturity screen screams P.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've always got the ENTP vibe from him. His sense of humor/sarcasm seems extroverted to me. He just seems to be too much of a self-promoter to be introverted in my opinion.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Does this not sound Housey to you? It does to me! Hell, he assembles a team basically for the purpose of brainstorming with them, and then he berates them for having stupid ideas, but follows through on the good ones anyway.
There's a world of difference between being played with as an experiment by an ENTP until you reveal your thinking and then they decide on whether or not to accept it and the more INTJ style where you can prove it or not at your discretion but until you do, it's worthless.

This part does support the ENTP side. What doesn't is when he instructs his followers (and they are that, no more a team than a tea boy to an MD) to do as he commands despite their objections because he is sure that he is right. No NP "oo maybe I'm wrong". No NTP "I can see 5,000 solutions but I think that this is the right one". Just "accept my decision and do it... now", which to me is NTJ.

As my father put it
Dad "There's only one way to do things and that's the right way."
Son "Would that one way also be your way by any chance?" :D
Dad "of course."

As for the sense of humour, a direct parallel to House's humour, though ina serious sense, would be the fiasco of power tools and my father. Apparently I wouldn't know how to use one until I'd used one. I then offerd to try so I could learn. I was told "No. These are my tools, get your own."

At the end of the day the character is most certainly NT and then seemingly diverges. Like Sherlock Holmes the character is larger than life and beyond normal description by preferences because they change to suit the needs of the story. There are those who'd argue that Holmes is other than INTP. I'd agree that he's not an INTP... but that INTP is the best fit for his most commonly displayed preferences.