• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Revolutionary Road

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Frank Wheeler: ENFJ? Enneagram Type 3?
April: ENFP/INFP...? I don't know. She seemed Enneagram Type 4.

John Givings: xNTP... Type 8?

Helen Givings: ESFj Type 2
Howard Givings: INTP Type 5

I guess the health of the characters depends on your perspective.

Chloe

oh i loved the movie. especially first 30 minutes. i was thinking "god, i am watching my inner dialogues on tv finally"... later it went off road

i have no idea of their types.

i think Leo was probably SFJ. I mean.. he seamed NFJ in the beginning... when he was under her influence... :/ but later went pretty much SJ way.

she could very well be INFP haha

if john givings is the math guy... haha... well yeah probably XNTP, he was expressive and all but doesnt mean he needs to be E because of that... And again, why is every mathematician portraited as insane always LOL. it was always scaring me away from that career!!! :D

i need to watch the movie again i was distracted when i watched it the first time.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I agree xNTP is probably a better fit for John.

Any idea on their neighbors' types?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Kate Winslet's character is not human; therefore, she has no type.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
John Givings seemed more like an Unhealthy INTJ (Type 5), at least to me.

He shows up half way through, see everyone for what they are and proceeds to abrasively pull their heads out of their asses. He had some sort of impairment, however, possibly Schizophrenia or Manic depression.

I don't even care about the others, since he was the best character in the movie.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I saw this movie this weekend I loved, loved, loved it!!! I could totally relate to the Kate Wislet character.

I would say April: ENFJ (fo shizel - especially based on the way she is prodding frank to "be the man he is meant to be" and seeing all of his "potential". This is very, very xNFJ and she was most cerrtainly an E)

Frank: eSFj (slightly e and slightly j - just enough j to ultimately settle into convention, but appears more eSFp at the beginning).

Helen - ESFJ

John - INTJ or INTP (I loved his character - so unvarnished)

I heard for more than one person that this movie was OK, but I thought it totally rocked :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
John Givings seemed more like an Unhealthy INTJ (Type 5), at least to me.

He shows up half way through, see everyone for what they are and proceeds to abrasively pull their heads out of their asses. He had some sort of impairment, however, possibly Schizophrenia or Manic depression.

I don't even care about the others, since he was the best character in the movie.

I think he received an award from at least one major movie critic group for that performance.

I find it hard to type people with personality disorders. In this case, all we know is that John was a mathematician who had lost the ability to think well due to extensive electroshock therapy. It was difficult to determine if his personality was so abrasive and direct because he was J or because of his experiences with his illness and frustration over his losses. It's still not a far cry to think him a more antisocial INTP driven by bitterness and lack of social grace; I've seen it on other forums, even.

In any case, there was even a throwaway joke about the "crazy guy" .... people who are "mad" have often acted as the writer's mouthpiece in cinema and theater.

Helen = ESFJ, I agree with that one. it was ironic to watch her dissociate from her earlier opinions of the Wheelers and turn on them, and watch her husband shut her out because he just tired of listening to her.

not really sure on types for the two protagonists. I see why people have said ENTP, and Frank has some external trappings of that type in how he engages people... but my issue with Frank is that he's played by DiCapprio, who comes across as an F to me and I don't particularly think he's a good actor at times. I feel like his actual personality filters into his character portrayals, muddying type reads. I think with the same script Frank might have come across much differently if played by a more coherent and consistent actor.

There is definitely an E vs I thing here, however. April's definitely an I. Frank behaved a lot more like an EFP type in terms of their arguments, where April was very I. From the start, he could not handle a disagreement in their relationship and would at first try to be nice and over-accommodating, then get frustrated when she did not play along and stroke him, and come after her demanding resolution; she meanwhile needed space to think clearly and felt disrespected and overwhelmed by him and would try to withdraw. The fight at the end was actually remarkable, where he pursues her and then for the first time in his life actually listens to her and gives her space; it's unfortunate that his choice to respect her in this situation, finally, was punished so severely by the choices she used her space to decide upon.

ENTP can sometimes also come across as F, due to extensive use of the Fe function, which they use to engage people and win them over. it's a grounding function for them.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I saw this movie this weekend I loved, loved, loved it!!! I could totally relate to the Kate Wislet character.

I would say April: ENFJ (fo shizel - especially based on the way she is prodding frank to "be the man he is meant to be" and seeing all of his "potential". This is very, very xNFJ and she was most cerrtainly an E)

Frank: eSFj (slightly e and slightly j - just enough j to ultimately settle into convention, but appears more eSFp at the beginning).

Helen - ESFJ

John - INTJ or INTP (I loved his character - so unvarnished)

I heard for more than one person that this movie was OK, but I thought it totally rocked :)

Wow... I was off on April. lol :doh: And Frank... You make good points. :cool:

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
There is definitely an E vs I thing here, however. April's definitely an I. Frank behaved a lot more like an EFP type in terms of their arguments, where April was very I. From the start, he could not handle a disagreement in their relationship and would at first try to be nice and over-accommodating, then get frustrated when she did not play along and stroke him, and come after her demanding resolution; she meanwhile needed space to think clearly and felt disrespected and overwhelmed by him and would try to withdraw. The fight at the end was actually remarkable, where he pursues her and then for the first time in his life actually listens to her and gives her space; it's unfortunate that his choice to respect her in this situation, finally, was punished so severely by the choices she used her space to decide upon.

ENTP can sometimes also come across as F, due to extensive use of the Fe function, which they use to engage people and win them over. it's a grounding function for them.

Hmm... I can see that too. What about ENFP? (just throwing out possibilities) :huh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is she not human?

She was a robot, silly.
(Now doesn't the whole movie make more sense?)

Hmm... I can see that too. What about ENFP? (just throwing out possibilities) :huh:

Not sure, honestly. I just don't have enough experience with ENFP males. I wanted to say they "feel softer" and less detached than Frank came across as at times, but from other friends I've heard about their ENFP guy friends at work and how they can really power through stuff and take a hard/ruthless line.

So I really have no idea.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
She was a robot, silly.
(Now doesn't the whole movie make more sense?)

So in the end her battery juices ran dry, and they couldn't find the power chord?

:doh: How did I not pick up on that?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So in the end her battery juices ran dry, and they couldn't find the power chord? :doh: How did I not pick up on that?

It's okay, dear, I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of people missed that one... :hug: