• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

harry potter characters

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Harry: INFP (mayble ISFP) I am absolutely sure that he is an introverted feeling type
Hermione: INFJ. (her chart-the-course-ness really shows in the 7th book)
Ron: ISTP
Snape: I have no clue. He's just too neurotic
Dumbledore: INTP
Scrimgeor: ESTP
Lupin: ISFJ
McGonnigal: ESTJ
Aberforth: ESFP
Molly Weasley: ENFJ
Arthur Weasley: ENTP

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm leaning towards ISFP for Harry.

Hermione is a tough one, I'm thinking she's an IxTJ.

Ron is a total ISFJ.

Snape is clearly an INTJ -- their Ni can lead them to be dark and broody (think Batman).

Dumbledore is an INFJ

Not sure about Scrimgeor or Lupin.

Can't argue with McGonnigal.

No idea about Aberforth.

Molly Weasley is an ExFJ. Clearly an Fe type

Arthur Weasley is a total ENTP, no argument there.

Fred and George Weasley are also ENTPs.

Lord Voldemort is probably an ENTJ.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Harry: INFP
Hermione: INTJ
Ron: ISFP
Snape: ISTJ
Dumbledore: ENTP
McGonnigal: ENTJ
Arthur Weasley: ESTP

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hermione's INFJ-ness doesn't make her any less tough. She clearly displays Fe and Ti. "Ron, you are the most insensitive wart...". -which is insulted right to ron's inferior extraverted feeling.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Nah, INTJ. Just seeing how she flouts her intelligence (Te) and keeps her true feelings hidden except for in bouts (Fi).

MerkW

Harry: ISFP
Hermione: Personally, I say ENxJ
Ron: ExFP
Wesley Twins: Definitely ENTP. Both of them
Neville: ISFJ
Ginny: (Probably the same as her mother)
Luna: INxP
Draco: ESTP
Snape: INTJ
Dumbledore: Either INTP or INFJ
Lupin: IxFP
Voldemort: ENTJ (I've seen him listed as INTP, yet I have no idea how that was deduced)
Molly Weasley: ESFJ (a classic example, at that)

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
so hermione is a bit of a know-it-all. Maybe because she's written into an enviorment where it's not unheard of for females to show thier intelligence.
I've never seen anything about her written personality that indicates extraverted thinking.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I've never seen anything about her written personality that indicates extraverted thinking.

Walking around and reciting all the facts she knows isn't indicative of extroverted thinking?

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
actually, that doesn't indicate any particular cognitive process in the context that you've givin.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
(Couldn't resist <- could be my motto :tongue:)

The only ones I'm about sure of are:

Harry: ISFP
Hermione: INFJ with T parents, hence the over-reliance on learning all the facts, and the stunted Fe Auxiliary. She oozes Ni all over the place, and she's both too Fe and not Te enough to be INTJ.
Snape: INTJ?
Dumbledore: I used to think INFJ, but I had to scrap that after "Deathly Hallows".
Ron: ESFJ maybe?

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Hmm... If I had to classify Mione, I'd pin her as an INFJ, because she is just so damn emotional, isn't she?

Harry, I would like to believe, is INFP. He's definitely not devoid of analytical or theorizing ability, as some would say. Plus, there's the high likelihood that JKR herself is an IN, most likely an INFJ. I think most writers create a main character very similar to themselves. I'm not ruling out ISFP for Harry's type (or even JKR's type), but I wonder how likely it is that an ISFP would think up such a complex other world, and (with the P) be able to roll out so many books and interviews and yadda yadda in the timespan JKR did. She didn't leave a rock unturned or a single thing undone, which I think is most unlikely for an ISFP (even with the practicality that being an S lends).

Hmm... Ron, I really don't know.

I agree that Fred and George are definitely ENTP. One or the other may lean a little J, because they do complete the goals they set for themselves, don't they? But yes, their whole "persona" is very ENTP.

Dumbledore is very wise and very multi-faceted. Being so damn old, it's kind of hard to pin him under your thumb. I really couldn't even guess. I do think he's rather N, but other than that...

Snape is definitely an IxTx. I have my heart set on him being INTP-ish in nature. He's that way in my mind. But I definitely accept the possibility of ISTP/J and INTJ.

Luna Lovegood! I love her. She's probably INxP. INFP seems more likely, since her theories seem so out there. Are they based on anything? I can't remember.

I love Harry Potter. I didn't like the fifth and sixth books as much as the rest, and the middle of the seventh dragged and bored, but... I guess you can't win 'em all. Granted, I haven't read any of those for a while, so I'll have to do that again before I solidify my opinion.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Quick little derail: Isn't Minerva's surname spelled McGonagall?

I'm just curious 'cause four of you spelled it the other way. They wouldn't change the spelling for the American edition, I'm sure.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Harry: INFP (mayble ISFP) I am absolutely sure that he is an introverted feeling type
Hermione: INFJ. (her chart-the-course-ness really shows in the 7th book)
Ron: ISTP
Snape: I have no clue. He's just too neurotic
Dumbledore: INTP
Scrimgeor: ESTP

I'd say Molly was an ESFJ. McGonnigall could well be an ISTJ. Snape is an INTP I think. Harry I think is more likely an ISFP than an INFP.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
ArcticAngel: It's Minerva McGonagall.

IMO,

Harry Potter is an ISFP. If the passion for such an "seize the moment" sport like Quidditch (and his success at it) isn't indicative of Se, and if the amount of stunning realizations and earnest theories (which really do turn out to be inaccurate most of the time. Examples: Snape, first book; The Grim, third book; Karkaroff, fourth book; you could even cite the whole self-sacrifice thing in the seventh book, but I suppose that would be more Fi.) isn't indicative of tertiary Ni, I don't know what would be. The Fi he leads from is readily apparent. The whole story pretty much is based on the Fi/Se combination - Fi provides the impulses that allows Harry and co. to actually act (Harry via Se) instead of sitting idly by. (No, it's not something any kid/teenager would do.)

Ron Weasley is hard to pin down. Let's see... fun-loving personality, general prattiness, loud, but not much else. Potentially quite a jealous fellow, though loyal too, in the end. Likes Quidditch, likes chess. Kinda oblivious to the feelings of the people around himself. Feels awkward when it's time to comfort or soothe. ESXP? Biggest detriment to this would be the Yule Ball. Perhaps a shy extrovert.

Hermione Granger being INFJ is probable. I must conclude, however, that she behaves somewhat more like the few ISJs I know. ISFJ perhaps, ISTJs would be rather apathetic to the whole storyline, but that too is possible.

Let's see, this might become a little scattered. Hesitant to break rules. Is eager to follow known procedures, studious. Perfectionist, emotional, easily hurt. Great amount of respect for the more concrete wings of education, and an inversely great skepticism for the more abstract Divination. (However, this could also be attributed to the INFJ skepticism.) Heightened logical deduction capability and an immense capacity for facts, no doubt influenced by Dominant Introverted Sensing, allowing the synthesis of a great deal of data relating to the present, which is probably the leading exponent of the ISFJ idea. (If you look past the "Oh, look, a Ni-moment!" assumption, you'll see that those revelations are similarly based on logic rather than raw intuition. Like the bugging-Bee Animagus relation.)
On the other hand, the whole SPEW ordeal is the biggest contributor to the INFJ consideration. ISFJs might also be bothered by the "mis"treatment of the house elves, but they would probably shrug it off as a necessary flaw within the system that has to be accepted if the system is to be preserved. The INFJ would work to improve or replace it, allright. Ultimately, I can't say for sure, but I'm leaning a bit more towards ISFJ.

Severus Snape, an INTJ. Read the seventh book. Not much more to say. He's a good triple agent, partly due to Ni - guile. Auxillary Te leads to resourcefulness. Fi makes sure he doesn't lose sight of the humane goal behind all this manipulation and puppetry. Any powerhungry sentiment or destructive ambition is secondary to "that other thing" which dominates him, again, thanks to Ni + Fi - the big picture and all.

Luna Lovegood, my favourite character. INP for sure, and certainly more introverted than Harry. not sure of the Thinking-Feeling - probably F. I'd think an INTP would have abstained from being a part of the whole Dumbledore's Army/Department of Mysteries Bomber Squadron deal. Absent-minded, dreamy, careless. Theories gone haywire - Auxillary Ne at work, people. A great deal of internalized feeling - and combined with Ne, the reader rarely *sees* what she feels. It leaves Harry surprised when she's able to talk about her mother's death with ease, even though she has been hurt immensely by it. Her INFP nature is displayed more prominently in her willingness to help Harry and co. and being a generally positive influence on them. Like Harry feeling the dreadful feeling in his stomach lessen, end of Book 5. Yeah, I was hoping for a Harry/Luna pairing. So what?

Last character I'll talk about for now. Dumbledore. Like people already said, his type is "RAWG" - Really Ancient Wise Guy. Ok, probably not. He's only the most well rounded INTJ ever. Read book 7 for the smackdown on the F-T deal. He invented the first puppet. He coined the term. The whole book has been his show. Ok, probably not #2. But quite close. It really has more to do with the fact that Book 7, when viewed in retrospect, sucked. I could talk much more about this fellow, he's interesting. But I think the post has gone on for long enough.

A honorary mention to Percy Weasley, who for representing SJs in the near-worst light possible, gets a one-liner.

I'll probably analyze some other characters later. :)

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
The Weasley Twins strike me as ESTP. They're not theoretical enough to be NT. Plus their irrepressible prankster side which comes out at all costs.

Molly - ESFJ or ESFP forced by her role to be ESFJ. Arthur - ISTP.

Ron - I'd have to go with some variety of SFJ - probably ISFJ.

Dolores Umbridge - damaged ESTJ.

Snape - INTJ.

Luna Lovegood - INTP or INFP (P.S. I LOVE Luna.)

Dumbledore - ENFJ. The biggest clue is his certainty that he knows best and is doing what's morally right For The Cause, never mind the human cost. A rider on ENFP.

Minerva McGonagle - Some variety of NTJ, for sure.

Mad-Eye Moody - ESTP.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm... If I had to classify Mione, I'd pin her as an INFJ, because she is just so damn emotional, isn't she?
You bet she is! In her interactions with others, she's ALL about emotions! Even when she's reciting stuff, it's always because of some emotion prompting her, whether it's helping Harry and Ron with something, or wanting to be appreciated by a teacher, or wanting to put someone in their place, or whatever, it's *always* emotional at the basis.

Harry, I would like to believe, is INFP. He's definitely not devoid of analytical or theorizing ability, as some would say.
How does that argue in favour of his being INFP :huh: ? T is the weakest function for INPs. And it sure shows in Harry, if you ask me :tongue:

Plus, there's the high likelihood that JKR herself is an IN, most likely an INFJ. I think most writers create a main character very similar to themselves. I'm not ruling out ISFP for Harry's type (or even JKR's type), but I wonder how likely it is that an ISFP would think up such a complex other world, and (with the P) be able to roll out so many books and interviews and yadda yadda in the timespan JKR did. She didn't leave a rock unturned or a single thing undone, which I think is most unlikely for an ISFP (even with the practicality that being an S lends).
Actually, I totally see both JKR and Harry as ISFP.

For example, JKR DID leave quite a LOT of rocks unturned!! Just go on any big fan site that allows negative critics and you'll find entire lists of plot threads she started but never ended (SPEW and more generally the House-Elves enslavement subplot, for example), or things she once said that never turned up ("someone will perform magic quite late in life"), and so on. The last book is the epitome of practicality: "I've gotta turn up that last book before that deadline, so damn the details and the consistency!"

As for imagining a complex other world: she didn't actually imagine that much. I'm not saying the whole Wizarding World isn't a "tour de force", but once she got that basis down, she mainly picked stuff from legends all over Europe and re-arranged them in her own way.

And most importantly: both she and Harry REEK of DomFi :tongue: ! JKR couldn't be more DomFi than she is: "I decide what is good and what is bad, and anyone who doesn't agree be damned!" Her series contain quite a few people that are presented to us as BAAAAD simply because SHE sees them that way because they don't share her values! "Order of the Phoenix" contains two highly visible such characters: Marrietta Edgecombe and Zacharias Smith. Both are fatally guilty of not taking Harry's word on the return of Lord Voldemort. Oooooh, BAAAAAD!!! Marietta, who, let's not forget, didn't even WANT to be a part of the DA and was forced by Cho to come and then TRICKED by Hermione into being loyal to it, then commits the Unforgiveable Crime of doing what SHE thinks is right! And for that, she deserves to be disfigured for years... If that's not DomFi, I don't know what it is! Even good ol' Seamus gets cast as a villain in that book because, figure that, he actually dared defending his mom's honor! He didn't even say he agreed with her, no, instead he was asking Harry to please tell him more so he could make his own mind up. But no, not believing Harry is an Unforgiveable Crime, so there you go, Seamus! And speaking of Unforgiveables: it sure looks as though the Unforgiveable Curses are not so Unforgiveable when it's darling Harry who uses them... Anyone can say DomFi :rolleyes: ?

So: Harry and JKR are most definitely both DomFi. And with their utter inability to even start considering that other people might think differently than they do (whether it's Harry not understanding and not caring WHY others contradict him, or JKR publicly wondering why anyone would like Snape or Draco Malfoy or want to be in Slytherin), they just can't be INFPs. But ISFPs? Oh yeah, totally!!

Dumbledore is very wise and very multi-faceted. Being so damn old, it's kind of hard to pin him under your thumb. I really couldn't even guess. I do think he's rather N, but other than that...
Old, manipulative and secretive. I agree that he's clearly N, but that anything more isn't easy to pin down.

Luna Lovegood! I love her. She's probably INxP. INFP seems more likely, since her theories seem so out there. Are they based on anything? I can't remember.
I agree with Luna as INFP. And I LOVE her :)

Nadir said:
Ron Weasley is hard to pin down. Let's see... fun-loving personality, general prattiness, loud, but not much else. Potentially quite a jealous fellow, though loyal too, in the end. Likes Quidditch, likes chess. Kinda oblivious to the feelings of the people around himself. Feels awkward when it's time to comfort or soothe. ESXP? Biggest detriment to this would be the Yule Ball. Perhaps a shy extrovert.
Shy and awkward, yes. Could be indicative of AuxFi, no? Intense feelings, but he doesn't really know how to express them. That would make him an ESFP.

Hermione Granger being INFJ is probable. I must conclude, however, that she behaves somewhat more like the few ISJs I know. ISFJ perhaps, ISTJs would be rather apathetic to the whole storyline, but that too is possible.
As I said, I suspect that her parents are both STs. We don't see much of them, but the little we do see tells us quite a bit already. They prize academic work, even letting their daughter whom they haven't seen in more than an entire year skip on a family vacation under the pretext that she's going to be studying at Hogwarts. They prize independence in their daughter. They are not very sociable, allowing themselves to be herded around by Arthur, or shunted in the background altogether. They are utterly *reasonable*, sending sugar-free candy to teenagers. And of course, they are dentists ;) :tongue: So I see them as ST, and as having raised Hermione to hyper-value Thinking, which would explain why at the beginning she seems to think that being smart and having good results should be enough to garantee her the love of her friends: because that's exactly what her parents' behaviour led her to believe.

Let's see, this might become a little scattered. Hesitant to break rules. Is eager to follow known procedures, studious.
I see how this could point to Te, but it can just as well point to Fe. INFJs can be perfect little obedient studious angels, if they think this will bring them the love of the people they respect and look up to.

Perfectionist, emotional, easily hurt.
:rolleyes:

Great amount of respect for the more concrete wings of education, and an inversely great skepticism for the more abstract Divination. (However, this could also be attributed to the INFJ skepticism.)
Well, most of the Magic courses taught at Hogwarts are pretty concrete anyway, so it's hard to know how she would react to another abstract matter. With Divination, I think it's quite clear that her problem is that she comes into the class with a prejudice, and Trelawney does nothing to dispel it, quite the contrary! The prejudice itself isn't incompatible with INFJ either, since Tertiary Ti would demand some level of reasonability (is that a word?), of making sense in a reasoned way. Especially a Tertiary Ti as developed as Hermione's.

Heightened logical deduction capability and an immense capacity for facts, no doubt influenced by Dominant Introverted Sensing, allowing the synthesis of a great deal of data relating to the present, which is probably the leading exponent of the ISFJ idea. (If you look past the "Oh, look, a Ni-moment!" assumption, you'll see that those revelations are similarly based on logic rather than raw intuition. Like the bugging-Bee Animagus relation.)
Funny you should say that, since those Ni-moments are a huge reason why I see her as an INFJ ;) There are just too many of them, and she is way too often right, and she doesn't parade most of them: that smacks of confident, Dominant Ni. And yes, those moments are also based on logic, but then they *would* be, in an INFJ ;) We do use Ti a lot to support our Ni. However, logic alone isn't enough: it's the WAY in which she puts together all the *relevant* clues that screams Ni to me. "Voices coming from inside the walls? Pipes!" "Our teacher is a werewolf!" "Rita Skeeter is a bug!" *Anybody* else COULD have reached those *logical* conclusions, but nobody else DID, and that's the whole clincher: it takes MORE than just logic to reach that kind of conclusions, it takes iNtuition, and Hermione's got loads of it. She even uses it routinely, like when she so confidently dissects Cho's emotional state (whether she was right or not is interesting but not directly relevant: what matters is that she is so sure and so matter-of-fact about it all). Hermione, to me, is very clearly a DomNi.

And quite honestly, I do not see much Si in her, certainly not enough to be DomSi. But then, Si is the one function I understand least, so I'm on very shaky ground here :D

On the other hand, the whole SPEW ordeal is the biggest contributor to the INFJ consideration. ISFJs might also be bothered by the "mis"treatment of the house elves, but they would probably shrug it off as a necessary flaw within the system that has to be accepted if the system is to be preserved. The INFJ would work to improve or replace it, allright.
Interestingly enough, Hermione *does* seem to accept it as just a flaw in the system, by the end of the series. Though personally, I see that more as a clue of JKR's dropping that theme, than Hermione's true feelings about it.

Yeah, I was hoping for a Harry/Luna pairing. So what?
I liked the idea of Harry/Luna by the end of Book 5, but I just knew that Harry/Ginny was what the author had in mind. However, after the way she totally botched it in Book 6 (IMO and to my tastes, obviously), I decided to enroll on the doomed Harry/Luna ship anyway :devil:

A honorary mention to Percy Weasley, who for representing SJs in the near-worst light possible, gets a one-liner.
He only looks so bad because both JKR and Harry see him that way. Personally, I always liked and *understood* Percy, and I came to truly hate the Twins for the way they treated him, both before and after the family fall-out.

The Grey Badger said:
Dumbledore - ENFJ. The biggest clue is his certainty that he knows best and is doing what's morally right For The Cause, never mind the human cost.
That's self-contradictory ;) ENFJs are ALL about The People, not The Cause. If The Cause demands that The People be crushed and walked on, then The Cause must be dropped or at least re-evaluated. In fact, "what's morally right" is pretty much *defined* by "how will it affect The People?" for ENFJs! If it has a negative effect on people, then it's morally wrong. So, no, no way Dumbledore could be an ENFJ ;) IMO only, of course.

(And nobody bothers telling me I'm obsessed/obsessive about all that: I KNOW :D)

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Hey Wandering,

I'm going to reply to the following sections of your post as the rest doesn't really contain much of a disagreement...

Wandering said:
Funny you should say that, since those Ni-moments are a huge reason why I see her as an INFJ ;) There are just too many of them, and she is way too often right, and she doesn't parade most of them: that smacks of confident, Dominant Ni. And yes, those moments are also based on logic, but then they *would* be, in an INFJ ;) We do use Ti a lot to support our Ni. However, logic alone isn't enough: it's the WAY in which she puts together all the *relevant* clues that screams Ni to me. "Voices coming from inside the walls? Pipes!" "Our teacher is a werewolf!" "Rita Skeeter is a bug!" *Anybody* else COULD have reached those *logical* conclusions, but nobody else DID, and that's the whole clincher: it takes MORE than just logic to reach that kind of conclusions, it takes iNtuition, and Hermione's got loads of it. She even uses it routinely, like when she so confidently dissects Cho's emotional state (whether she was right or not is interesting but not directly relevant: what matters is that she is so sure and so matter-of-fact about it all). Hermione, to me, is very clearly a DomNi.

And quite honestly, I do not see much Si in her, certainly not enough to be DomSi. But then, Si is the one function I understand least, so I'm on very shaky ground here :D

I might be underplaying the worth of the revelations from a typological standpoint, but the examples you cite don't seem very "transcendental", "freethinking" or even "out-of-place" to me, as I sometimes hear Ni described as. Let me try to explain better. Those examples - none of them are things the other characters (Harry, Ron, et al.) doubt or are skeptical towards. Whenever Hermione realizes something, the rest just go... "Oh... why didn't we think of that? It's obvious!", or something to that effect (It's a bit hard to tell, because the realizations almost always follow up with some event.) That would suggest to me that Hermione's realizations are still well within the "mundane" realm of logical thought for others to comprehend, rather than being ambigious or on seemingly shaky ground, as Ni-based revelations are sometimes described as. I also don't see her as much of a visionary, really. If you ask me, she lives more in the present and is not really future-oriented. (Consider her preoccupation with academic perfection. It doesn't stem from concern regarding her future but more like her feelings in the present, that is, she needs the good grades to be happy in the present time independent of their future significance.) So I chose to associate the revelations with Si, the ultimate data-gathering function, where the present is concerned. To me they don't really represent an intuitive, quantum leap in thought, more like finding a congruency in data where previously none had existed, (or wasn't seen) by merit of constantly updating the "information database" via Si. (It should be said that I too am talking from my own understanding of Si here, based on what I read.)

It has also been pointed out to me that Hermione places high regard upon books and authority figures and considers the viewpoints of them before choosing or advising a particular course of action, going "by the book", where applicable. Her frequent visits to the library could be interpreted as feeding more information to Si's banks. While I don't mean to say that only SJs go by the books or respect authority figures, it seems like another point to consider.

And for some reason I don't really agree with associating confident "emotional dissection" with Ni in particular. I've seen that trait displayed by so many people I talk to on a regular basis, (of course, without regard to accuracy) that I'd be more inclined to suggest it would stem from being introverted or being Feeling rather than Ni itself. I'm sure it's a byproduct of empathy, and intuition isn't really required for that to manifest. I think that if we're to associate this with Ni, or intuition, it would be more prudent to discuss the accuracy of that dissection.

Having said all this, I do understand where you come from when you talk about the Ni-moments and think a definite classification of INFJ or ISFJ is not very likely if the goal is total compatibility with any one of the aforementioned types.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I might be underplaying the worth of the revelations from a typological standpoint, but the examples you cite don't seem very "transcendental", "freethinking" or even "out-of-place" to me, as I sometimes hear Ni described as.
Then I think the problem is that you see Ni as being way more mysterious and grandiose than it really is ;) Or rather, I should say: than it really is *to DomNis*. I can imagine that for other types, especially those who don't have Ni as either Dominant or Auxiliary, Ni would take on this aura of "transcendental", yes, but if you ask *me*, as a random INFJ, Ni is extremely mundane, because quite simply it's who I am, and I'm nothing exceptional :D

Those examples - none of them are things the other characters (Harry, Ron, et al.) doubt or are skeptical towards. Whenever Hermione realizes something, the rest just go... "Oh... why didn't we think of that? It's obvious!", or something to that effect
Which is *exactly* what Ni is about ;) Ni is not about discovering stuff that no other function could discover: it's only about the WAY in which that stuff is discovered. And this "Duh, why didn't I think of it before!?" is archetypical of Ni. That's why I said in my previous post that it's not so much WHAT Hermione discovers that matters: it's HOW she does it, and how others do NOT do it. ALL her discoveries could have been made through logic, as you pointed out earlier. And yet *nobody* made them. They were nothing really out of the ordinary, and yet nobody thought of them. And *that* is EXACTLY what Ni is supposed to look like.

That would suggest to me that Hermione's realizations are still well within the "mundane" realm of logical thought for others to comprehend, rather than being ambigious or on seemingly shaky ground, as Ni-based revelations are sometimes described as.
I would suggest that it's those descriptions you've read which are faulty. The vast majority of my Ni intuitions are well "within the "mundane" realm of logical thought for others to comprehend". In fact, I suspect that most of the time, you don't even notice them, because I don't tell you "Hey, I just iNtuited that through Ni" ;) I just tell you what I think, and you go "OK, makes sense" or something like that. It doesn't strike you as "Oh my!!!" And if I did tell you that I iNtuited them through Ni, you would point out how I could have arrived to the same conclusion through other means, such as logic. And you would be right!

I also don't see her as much of a visionary, really.
She wants to change *the entire Wizarding World*, I'd say that's visionary enough ;) :rolleyes:

If you ask me, she lives more in the present and is not really future-oriented. (Consider her preoccupation with academic perfection. It doesn't stem from concern regarding her future but more like her feelings in the present, that is, she needs the good grades to be happy in the present time independent of their future significance.)
Oh man, I so totally disagree with that :D ! Remember in Book 5 how she's obsessively going through the leaflets about possible future jobs? Remember her jab in the last book, when they are talking to Scrimgeour and she tells him she has higher ambition than working in the Ministry (or something)? Man, you can BET that this girl has been thinking about her future in the Wizarding World ever since she discovered she was a witch! But because she's an Introvert, she hasn't been *talking* about it, except for clues here and there, like when she says that she's been thinking about "taking SPEW further". And the fact that neither Ron nor Harry are interested in listening to her dreams for the future doesn't help either.

What we do NOT see, on the other hand, is her being attached to her past, her family and so on. Now this is what I would expect from a DomSi. But she just seems to leave the Muggle World behind as soon as she enters the Wizarding World. Definitely future-oriented, not past- or present-oriented.

So I chose to associate the revelations with Si, the ultimate data-gathering function, where the present is concerned. To me they don't really represent an intuitive, quantum leap in thought, more like finding a congruency in data where previously none had existed, (or wasn't seen) by merit of constantly updating the "information database" via Si. (It should be said that I too am talking from my own understanding of Si here, based on what I read.)
Tertiary Ti would play a similar role in an INFJ. Gather facts and organise them, before Ni can play around with them.

It has also been pointed out to me that Hermione places high regard upon books and authority figures and considers the viewpoints of them before choosing or advising a particular course of action, going "by the book", where applicable. Her frequent visits to the library could be interpreted as feeding more information to Si's banks.
It's the *library*, and it's *books*, ie the realm of ideas and facts: that's Ti. She's feeding her Tertiary Ti. She's rather obsessive-compulsive about it, though, as most INFJs wouldn't feel the need to read ALL there is to read on a subject matter before unleashing their Ni, but I suspect this comes from a very ST upbringing.

And for some reason I don't really agree with associating confident "emotional dissection" with Ni in particular. I've seen that trait displayed by so many people I talk to on a regular basis, (of course, without regard to accuracy) that I'd be more inclined to suggest it would stem from being introverted or being Feeling rather than Ni itself. I'm sure it's a byproduct of empathy, and intuition isn't really required for that to manifest. I think that if we're to associate this with Ni, or intuition, it would be more prudent to discuss the accuracy of that dissection.
Well, I didn't mean to say that it's *just* Ni, but to me the way she pulls various clues in Cho's behaviour and arranges them together to arrive at one (and only ONE!) diagnostic, this has INFJ written all over. I literally do that *all the time*, and I know several INFJs online who do it too with extreme ease and natural. It's the typical Ni/Fe association. An INFP, for example, would either be able to fathom different reasons behind Cho's behaviour, or to iNtuitively empathise directly with her, thus knowing right away what she's feeling, but without being able to point at all the logical clues, like Hermione does.

(I hope I don't come accross as too shrill? I mean, I really don't have any stake in this :) It's all discussion and fun, right :) ? I *really* am not trying to "convert" you to my view or anything, OK? )