• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

harry potter characters

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah. Look at Dumbledores past. He was clearly an NT in the past.
I don't have the book to hand right now (I loaned it to my brother) but from what I recall, there was little in his youth to suggest NT. He wanted to instigate change, yes, but that was according to his moral convictions, not an NT-ish desire for power.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I reckon hermione is an INTP.
Or atleast Ti dominant as ITPs are often rule orientated as kids concerned about fairness but occasionally take big risks. Also they become more risk orientated as they get older.

I think she's an ISxJ to be honest. Not sure where you get INTP.

For Dumbledore, I used to agree with INFJ until the last book. The last book revealed things about his childhood, teen years, as well as early adult that make me think INTx, but lean toward INTP. His relationship with Grindelwald is classic INTP-ENTJ matchup, his ideas and plans for new world leadership that is based on merit, intelligence, and power and his classification of muggles as a "lesser" group that needs magical leadership to truly thrive is something I find INTx-ish. Of course, he abandons his plans at the death of his sister, and turns his life around.

We see him at an incredible age with temperamental balance it can be hard to distinguish anything that sticks out to give clues. But I think they're there.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

For Dumbledore, I used to agree with INFJ until the last book. The last book revealed things about his childhood, teen years, as well as early adult that make me think INTx, but lean toward INTP. His relationship with Grindelwald is classic INTP-ENTJ matchup, his ideas and plans for new world leadership that is based on merit, intelligence, and power and his classification of muggles as a "lesser" group that needs magical leadership to truly thrive is something I find INTx-ish. Of course, he abandons his plans at the death of his sister, and turns his life around.

We see him at an incredible age with temperamental balance it can be hard to distinguish anything that sticks out to give clues. But I think they're there.

No no no no Hermione is an INTP or INFJ. There's no way she's an SJ, she doesn't just follow rules, she's extremely intellectual.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't have the book to hand right now (I loaned it to my brother) but from what I recall, there was little in his youth to suggest NT. He wanted to instigate change, yes, but that was according to his moral convictions, not an NT-ish desire for power.

I don't think that this indicates that he's for sure not an NF, but Dumbledore did have an "NT-ish desire for power" in his youth. He talks at length about the allure of power and acclaim, and he pursues those things in spite of any moral convictions, not because of them. He was so caught up with wanting power and recognition that he didn't realize the moral implications of Grindelwald's ideas. I'm just not sure how NT-specific those characteristics really are.

I think Dumbledore is either INFJ or INTJ -- Ni dominant. ENTJ is also a possibility. I lean slightly towards INFJ because I don't think an NTJ would have laid such precarious plans and trusted that they would work out. And INFJs can be cold, detached and focused on the greater good as easily as INTJs can. I think you can make a compelling case either way, though.

Hermione is hard to type because I don't think she's an exceptionally consistently-written character. IXTJ...generally SJ characteristics with a lot of instances of intuition.

Also, I'm in the middle of rereading Half-Blood Prince, and it reinforces my impression that Ginny is ESTP.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP

INTP because of how rule based she is at first but then grows out of it which is something I've noticed IxTPs seem to do and she is extremelly intelligent and intuitive.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry- ISFP
Ron- ESFP
Hermione- ESTJ
Ginny- Not sure to be honest, I'll have to reread the books
The Weasley Twins- ENTP
Mrs. Weasley- ESFJ
Mr. Weasley- INTP
Slughorn- ENTP
Lupin- INFP
Sirius- INFP
Draco- INTJ?
Voldemort- INTJ
Dumbledore- INTJ
Luna- INTP
McGonagall- ESTJ
Snape- INTP ?
Hagrid- INFJ? ISFJ? I'm gonna say INFJ, but ISFJ is a possibility.

I forgot a million people, but yeah.

redacted

I now think Dumbeldore is INTP

new list:
Harry - ISFP
Ron - ESFP
Hermione - ISTJ
Twins - ENTP
Arthur Weasley - INTP
Voldemort - ENTJ
Dumbeldore - INTP
Draco - ESTP
Luna - INTP
Snape - INTJ
Hagrid - ISFP

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
When typing characters in movies, I first remember that people assume roles outside their core personality. While it may show up in soliloquies, the best evidence is in their personal effects. How do they identify and surround themselves?

dumbledor is INTP. His office is filled with all things to help him think and the organization thereof is only known to him. Since he's old, his inferior functions are developed more when compared to the children. He definitely knows how to use his Fe.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Dumbledore is supposedly gay, so he must be INTP :/ . Makes me question my type.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dumbledore is supposedly gay, so he must be INTP :/ . Makes me question my type.

dude, it's time to change your signature...

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.” “The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about” “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” - MLK Jr

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

I'm leaning very strongly towards INFJ.

His 'For the Greater Good' Phase with Grindelwald was simply because he liked Grindelwald. This might suggest an F. His error at over looking what he was actually doing and doing it only because of his love for this older guy.

He was Ni, and definitely a J.

INFJ.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
LOL @ whoever thinks Hermione is an INTP.

Really? wow.

There is no doubt she is an xNFJ. She's a fighter underneath her clean cut appearance. That's why she's a Gryffindor. She's a J. She leads Harry throughout the 7th book. If she was a P, they never would have made it anywhere. Think about how she had her beaded bag pre packed to leave at a minutes notice from the Burrow at the beginning. She had a better plan than Harry who has the classic INFP approach of not knowing where to begin.

I've read ever book at least 3 times, so here's my little list:

Harry:INFP- he fits the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle together faster than Ron and Hermione do. He's such an N it's crazy. He pieces it all together in the 7th book

Ron: ESFP- No arguing needed.

Hermione: INFJ- See above.

Dumbledore: INFJ. He was wise, goal oriented, freedom fighting, equality based, extremely modest, and has his head put on the right way his whole life (except his little adventures with Grindelwald in Godric's Hollow)

Voldemort: INTJ. He wasn't an ENTJ. So anti-social with terrible social skills it isn't funny. He never reveals anything about his past to anybody. Nobody knows him, really. He's a plotter, an awesome strategist, and in no way does he rely on the external world to revive him.

Sirius: ESFP
Lupin: INFP
James Potter: ESTP
Snape: INTP
Lily Potter: ENFJ
Malfoy: ESTJ
Luna: INFP
Neville: INFP
Ginny: INTJ

Usehername

On a mission
Harry - ISFP
Luna - IxFP (it is a magical world, after all, so her "seeing creatures" etc. isn't as far off and Nish as one might believe)
Hermione - INFJ. I buy the "NF raised by two ST dentists" argument someone mentioned.
Ron - xSFJ
Dumbledore - INTJ (used to think INFJ too, but like Jock said, he's NT by nature and NF learned)
McGonnagal - ISTJ
Snape - INTJ
Voldemort - unhealthy IxTx with strong magical powers + intelligence that might make his eternal living plan plausible from a number of types

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I just don't see the N in Harry at all.
I can see the Fi, but i don't understand the INFP conclusion many have come to

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just don't see the N in Harry at all.
I can see the Fi, but i don't understand the INFP conclusion many have come to

The "fitting the puzzle pieces together" that Harry does is totally SeNi. That is like, a shining example of it. How is it not SeNi? (not directed at you scanty) I don't see the N either. I think that people who think he's an N are just idealizing him.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I now think Dumbeldore is INTP

new list:
Harry - ISFP
Ron - ESFP
Hermione - ISTJ
Twins - ENTP
Arthur Weasley - INTP
Voldemort - ENTJ
Dumbeldore - INTP
Draco - ESTP
Luna - INTP
Snape - INTJ
Hagrid - ISFP
Ginny-ESTP

Agree completely with your list. Glad to see you came around in regards to Dumbledore :)

I added the bolded.
The "fitting the puzzle pieces together" that Harry does is totally SeNi. That is like, a shining example of it. How is it not SeNi? (not directed at you scanty) I don't see the N either. I think that people who think he's an N are just idealizing him.

Superb example, and I agree that people tend to project on to Harry. He is not an N.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
How about Slughorn? ENTP?

I'm not so sure about that. He really, really, prizes social status and power, however he never wants it for himself, and would rather be the puppet master, pulling all the strings if he were ever given the oppurtunity for power. He loves his comfort, loves a nice life, which to me suggests Si. I think for him really, he could be ISFJ. He views his relationships in such a way that he sees people and judges them according to their societal "worth" to him.