• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

harry potter characters

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
does anyone find it weird that the S kids are the saviors of wizardry and humankind everywhere, that the whole premise of the book is a celebration of their simplicity of thought/motive and honorable feeling? in the face of the N adults fucking shit up and fighting an age old battle of good vs evil, the adults portrayed as the unnecessary and wasteful difficulties of iNtuition, etc?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Her weird beliefs are the strongest argument against her being a T of any kind (that and the garish paintings in her room, laced with the word "friends"). However, there just isn't any evidence of inner sensitivity or strong values. She is perfectly objective and can predict and dismiss criticism, both towards herself and her beliefs (and her father), without any emotional perturbation or permanent dislike of the critic. She never has any moral or ethical indignation over the actions of others, even when she is treated in ways that most would consider to be "wrong" on some level. She has perfectly sensible explanations of the phenomena that she believes in, but these phenomena just don't exist. It's like she's practicing logic in an alternate world of her own (and her father's), and this alternate world is abstract and has no basis in reality.

Perhaps, as someone suggested, she is an ENTP. The dominant intuition could explain her better.

Or she could be so far removed from reality that she doesn't even perceive criticism, which sometimes seems like it's the case based on the way she simply ignores people's criticisms of the Quibbler. In that case, I could see super-deluded INFP for her as well. It's just that she has none of that "quest for identity" thing going on...in fact, she has probably one of the strongest senses of self of any of the characters, in the face of all criticism and unpopularity. Also, she has no problem inserting herself unwanted into a group if that's what she desires, and this is something that I would think a sensitive INFP would rather die than do (to voluntarily be where they know they are unwanted? Ludicrous!). And I don't see her as warm at all...she was totally detached all the time, even in traumatic situations and in the face of death (Dobby's death, for instance).

Anyway, I can't believe I'm arguing over the personality of a pathetically underdeveloped character that appears in only 3 of the Harry Potter books. Lol.

Just something to think about: All these people, including Luna, are very young and not fully developed. Children often change as they grow older.

Here's an example: As a young child, I was quiet, shy, weird, dreamy, overly religious, stoic, unrealistic, ostracized, insensitive, etc. I was so insensitive as a child that it scared me - after my great grandmother died, I could not remember her face anymore, even if I saw a picture. It was like her visage was completely erased from my memory. In addition, whenever someone criticized my beliefs, I either was passively stoic or occasionally had a burst of passionate defense which completely SHOCKED my classmates (Like: holy shit she has a mouth, and WORDS ARE COMING OUT OF IT in a voice louder than a mouse fart!!!!)

Damn, seeing Luna reminded me a lot about me as a child, in some ways. I was like a weird combination of Hermione and Luna as a kid. Heh, maybe that's why I had no friends. :devil:

So I don't think her actions are the result of any kind of weird psychotic behavior or NT-ness exactly. Perhaps a reaction to the world around her or whatever. Or just her path of development - hard to tell.

Also remember, she's just a character.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
does anyone find it weird that the S kids are the saviors of wizardry and humankind everywhere, that the whole premise of the book is a celebration of their simplicity of thought/motive and honorable feeling? in the face of the N adults fucking shit up and fighting an age old battle of good vs evil, the adults portrayed as the unnecessary and wasteful difficulties of iNtuition, etc?

She might have either consciously or unconsciously seen it as a deviation from the normal paths of books, where the unusual N saves the day from S's who screw everything up. Quite an interesting and unusual idea, actually, even if the books are poorly written (grammar, style, etc.).

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Her weird beliefs are the strongest argument against her being a T of any kind (that and the garish paintings in her room, laced with the word "friends"). However, there just isn't any evidence of inner sensitivity or strong values. She is perfectly objective and can predict and dismiss criticism, both towards herself and her beliefs (and her father), without any emotional perturbation or permanent dislike of the critic. She never has any moral or ethical indignation over the actions of others, even when she is treated in ways that most would consider to be "wrong" on some level. She has perfectly sensible explanations of the phenomena that she believes in, but these phenomena just don't exist. It's like she's practicing logic in an alternate world of her own (and her father's), and this alternate world is abstract and has no basis in reality.

Perhaps, as someone suggested, she is an ENTP. The dominant intuition could explain her better.

Or she could be so far removed from reality that she doesn't even perceive criticism, which sometimes seems like it's the case based on the way she simply ignores people's criticisms of the Quibbler. In that case, I could see super-deluded INFP for her as well. It's just that she has none of that "quest for identity" thing going on...in fact, she has probably one of the strongest senses of self of any of the characters, in the face of all criticism and unpopularity. Also, she has no problem inserting herself unwanted into a group if that's what she desires, and this is something that I would think a sensitive INFP would rather die than do (to voluntarily be where they know they are unwanted? Ludicrous!). And I don't see her as warm at all...she was totally detached all the time, even in traumatic situations and in the face of death (Dobby's death, for instance).

Anyway, I can't believe I'm arguing over the personality of a pathetically underdeveloped character that appears in only 3 of the Harry Potter books. Lol.

I was just wondering, is it possible that her father indoctrinated her to believe the quibller, or perhaps she just sees her father in such a posotive light that she cant comprehend him being wrong. I think shes an INTP thats just EXTREMELY detached from reality(perhaps supporting the autism theory or the scizoid theory).

And I agree, she was pretty poorly fleshed out, and they seemed to just throw her out of the story once the whole ginny thing came along. I think the author planed somthing but ended up ditching it for the ginny thing(for whatever reason) Also I dont remember who said It but someone pointed out the fact that whoever disagreed with harry was "bad" in the book. :D I never even noticed that but its true.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, I see Luna as INFP as well, but in fact years ahead of her peers. Yes an INFP is sensitive to criticism and being sensitive to people, but from her demeanor, I'd say she is sensitive to people constantly.

And the reason she doesn't respond that easily to praise or criticism isn't due to a lack of maturity or other things, but exactly *becoz* she's mature. If you think about it, she lost her mother early on, and her father isn't the most stable person in the world, though she has a strong bond with him. That tends to mature a person faster than in normal circumstances.

She's so in tune with why people do things and what they need, that she understands where they come from and even 'forgives' them for their lack of insight themselves. Her openmindedness is extraordinary. She's aware that not everyone sees what she sees, is not able to see it and is ok with that. That lack of judgement coz of that level of understanding = mature Fi imo. She does defend her core values, but won't force them onto people. She has a strong sense of who she is, again, the trait of someone who's done a lot of self-reflecting.

I admire her really. She's an exquisite example of what a perfectly balanced NFP should be like, imo. The wisdom she exudes when it comes to people and even the world is immense, despite some of her cooky beliefs.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think Luna is INFP.
She seems perfectly willing to abandon (and I mean abandon..) logic for what she believes in.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Interesting that you identified so few F-doms...

Well i think most of the characters are very logical but because of Rowling writing there F areas are seen more. So many are T mainly because there F while constantly seen is very weak.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Well i think most of the characters are very logical but because of Rowling writing there F areas are seen more. So many are T mainly because there F while constantly seen is very weak.

Ever notice how all the Ts with the acception of dumbledor are portrayed as evil/mean.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dumbledore is without a doubt an INFJ. Everything he did was guided by strong moral convictions, and he was adamant that love was the most powerful force in existence. He was capable of being ruthless, yes, but any Feeler can do that, especially when their values necessitate it.

I consider Luna an INFP--she believes things because she wants to, not because there is any real evidence for them. If you pay careful attention, you'll notice that she was set up as a foil for Hermione, who won't believe anything unless it makes logical sense. This whole aspect of Luna was illustrated most strongly in relation to her beliefs about the afterlife--a belief based purely on faith, with hardly a shred of logic behind it. That was really the thematic purpose of Luna: to illustrate the value of belief on the basis of emotion as an alternative to the more secular outlook that rejects the afterlife.

Hermione is in many ways a caricature of an SJ--she takes many of that temperament's traits to a humorous extreme. The only question is what kind she is. She shows a lot emotion and has strong values, while she's also hyper-logical and very Te. I'm thinking that she's an ISTJ with prominent (and perhaps unhealthy) Fi. She does have a lot Ni-ish realizations, but I consider that more a plot device that reflects her intelligence than something to be looked into very deeply.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Can one of the proponents for Harry as INFP explain why you feel this way? I don't see anything even bordering on intuition where Harry is concerned. He's generally practical and oriented towards the present/past rather than the future. He doesn't like theory independent of application. He is very much like any ISFP I've known.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Harry: INTP I was unsure until I reread the second book. Then the part after the dueling club settled it.
Hermione: ENTJ. She wants to be in charge, and trusts whoever has compotency. That's very NT.
Ron: ISTP
Snape: I can't tell.
Dumbledore: INTP
Scrimgeor: ESTP.
Lupin: ISFJ.
McGonnigal: ESTJ.
Aberforth: ESFP.
Molly Weasley: ESFJ. She shouts too much and is too family concerned to be an NF.
Arthur Weasley: INTP: he doesn't seem E-ish to be ENTP, although he is inventive, he is rather quiet.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
so hermione is a bit of a know-it-all. Maybe because she's written into an enviorment where it's not unheard of for females to show thier intelligence.
I've never seen anything about her written personality that indicates extraverted thinking.

what about SPEW? She's definitely an ENTJ.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Harry: INTP :doh: I was unsure until I reread the second book. Then the part after the dueling club settled it.
Hermione: ENTJ. She wants to be in charge, and trusts whoever has compotency. That's very NT.
Ron: ISTP
Snape: I can't tell. (THE ONE PERSON EVERYONE AGREED ON)
Dumbledore: INTP
Scrimgeor: ESTP.
Lupin: ISFJ.
McGonnigal: ESTJ.
Aberforth: ESFP.
Molly Weasley: ESFJ. She shouts too much and is too family concerned to be an NF.
Arthur Weasley: INTP: he doesn't seem E-ish to be ENTP, although he is inventive, he is rather quiet.

ARE YOU ON CRACK?

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
Harry's too emotionally-driven to be an INTP.
In my opinion.
He doesn't exhibit any INTP traits that I see. He's too worried about other people and what they are doing, and he's too much of a leader when it comes to Quidditch. He's too confident...

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Harry's too emotionally-driven to be an INTP.
In my opinion.
He doesn't exhibit any INTP traits that I see. He's too worried about other people and what they are doing, and he's too much of a leader when it comes to Quidditch. He's too confident...

This. I mean honostly, why is it that so many INTPs have such huge E-Penises when it comes to there type, that kid up there was a golden example, "I like harry potter he must be INTP" seriously, this is the stuff that ruined INTPc (Anything that even smelled of F or S was immediatly raped in every orrafice by their massive egos)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
what about SPEW? She's definitely an ENTJ.

I don't think starting a movement like SPEW qualifies her as E. When I was in high school I tried to start a school chapter of LINK (Liberty in North Korea), which was unsuccessful because nobody cared :cry: Anyway I'm a pretty strongly expressed introvert. She does seem very fact oriented and Te though, so maybe I just don't know enough about ENTJs to identify one. All I can guess about her is xTxJ.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Dumbledore is without a doubt an INFJ. Everything he did was guided by strong moral convictions, and he was adamant that love was the most powerful force in existence. He was capable of being ruthless, yes, but any Feeler can do that, especially when their values necessitate it.

I consider Luna an INFP--she believes things because she wants to, not because there is any real evidence for them. If you pay careful attention, you'll notice that she was set up as a foil for Hermione, who won't believe anything unless it makes logical sense. This whole aspect of Luna was illustrated most strongly in relation to her beliefs about the afterlife--a belief based purely on faith, with hardly a shred of logic behind it. That was really the thematic purpose of Luna: to illustrate the value of belief on the basis of emotion as an alternative to the more secular outlook that rejects the afterlife.

Hermione is in many ways a caricature of an SJ--she takes many of that temperament's traits to a humorous extreme. The only question is what kind she is. She shows a lot emotion and has strong values, while she's also hyper-logical and very Te. I'm thinking that she's an ISTJ with prominent (and perhaps unhealthy) Fi. She does have a lot Ni-ish realizations, but I consider that more a plot device that reflects her intelligence than something to be looked into very deeply.

Nah. Look at Dumbledores past. He was clearly an NT in the past.
And Hermione I'm not so certain. I reckon more of an INTJ.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
I reckon hermione is an INTP.
Or atleast Ti dominant as ITPs are often rule orientated as kids concerned about fairness but occasionally take big risks. Also they become more risk orientated as they get older.