• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

harry potter characters

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Wandering,

I read your post. Don't worry about coming across as too shrill. But I must say that, we seem to have reached an impasse, where the differences in opinion have grown rather large. Not that I am bothered by it - it gives me more things to think about and more information to absorb. But it seems to me that here might be a good point to pause the debate for a while (at least on my part) because I don't feel I can be as fervent as you are when it comes to discussing MBTI and Harry Potter! :)

I think I will rethink my position on Ni and Si, both from the Hermione-perspective (Not that I'm convinced about her, mind you.) and a personal one. Some of the things you say about Ni I can pretty much relate to on a personal level. (Such as the emotional, mental dissection, and the "Duh!...". I've been trying to identify my dominant function for a while now. I think I am an intuitive, but I don't think I am Fi-dominant.) So if Ni is really similar to that which you're saying in your post ;) the actual challenge might be in exonerating myself from the admittedly flowery impressions of Ni that I've read. (not that non-flowery ones really exist, as I'm sure you know.) On the other hand, your posts have been rather vague in defining the interplay between Ni and Ti, and how Si stands relative to these functions, and I'm not sure if I agree with some of your definitions. I might be able to talk about them in greater depth, as well as the rest of your post, when I find the time tomorrow, but no promises.

No worries. It's all discussion and fun. Though I must say that I now feel overloaded with information. :)

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
But I must say that, we seem to have reached an impasse, where the differences in opinion have grown rather large.
Not a problem :) For all I know, maybe someone will say something one day that will make me go "aha" and reconsider my whole idea of Hermione as an INFJ. Stranger things have happened :D

I don't feel I can be as fervent as you are when it comes to discussing MBTI and Harry Potter! :)
I'm nuts about both, so you can imagine what happens when you mix the two :smile:

I've been trying to identify my dominant function for a while now. I think I am an intuitive, but I don't think I am Fi-dominant.
I don't know about Fi either, but you're definitely an iNtuitive, for sure!

So if Ni is really similar to that which you're saying in your post ;) the actual challenge might be in exonerating myself from the admittedly flowery impressions of Ni that I've read. (not that non-flowery ones really exist, as I'm sure you know.)
Yeah... I think I read somewhere that Ni is the function that's hardest to explain. It makes sense that it would be: not only is it an "abstract" function (unlike the S functions, for example, which can more easily be attached to the 5 senses, while N is more akin to something like a 6th sense), but it's also introverted (so not out there in the open for everyone to see), and a Perceiving function (I personally find the Judging functions far easier to explain and describe than the Perceiving ones). The ultimate combo of unexplainable stuff :D So I guess we all do the best we can at explaining Ni, but it's not a smashing success overall. Not to mention that all functions feel different to each type, depending on their "place" in the "hierarchy".

On the other hand, your posts have been rather vague in defining the interplay between Ni and Ti, and how Si stands relative to these functions,
Ni/Ti, I can try again if you want. Si... Well, Si is the Shadowest of all Shadow functions for an INFJ, so to say we tend to use it few and far between, and not very productively either, would be putting it mildly :tongue:

and I'm not sure if I agree with some of your definitions.
Again, not a problem. For all I know, I'll disagree with some of my own definitions in a few months :rolleyes: (Makes me wonder how people can stand living with us INFJs :shock: : we keep correcting our positions, if not changing them significantly, as our Ni goes from insight to insight. I think I'd drive myself mad :devil: )

Though I must say that I now feel overloaded with information. :)
Hmmm... Interesting! We both agree that you're most likely an iNtuitive. Coupled with that statement, this would orient us towards Ni rather than Ne ;) Which in turn makes me wonder if the reason you don't "get" Ni so well is because you've been so thoroughly misled about it that you fail to identify it in yourself even though it's strongly there... Just a possibility of course, nothing more :cool:

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Holy crap, how'd you get 95 posts already, Wandering?

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Holy crap, how'd you get 95 posts already, Wandering?
Honestly? I don't know :shock: !!

It seems to be a mix of:
* heavy involvement in a few threads I'm deeply interested in;
* light involvement in a bunch of odd threads;
* small talk :tongue: !

All 3 together seem to add up real quick!

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Ok, as I'm really bored...

Fred and George Weasley are ENTPs, or at least ENP types. The quintessential tinkers, thinkers, and inventors - though not quite eccentric ones a la Richard Feynman. Ne is probably the fuel behind all the creativity and the general "rebellious" attitude the twins are pretty much known for considering its polar opposite Si (Not sure.). It's also how they are pretty much able to qualify as standup comedians. Ti provides an understanding of the magical systems in such a way that allows manipulation - the so-called tinkering - that results in the many practical jokes and inventions. A well developed Te-function would then be responsible for the implementation of the ideas, and the general success of their magic shop - though I am attributing that particular detail not to ENTJ leadership/ENTP entrepreneurship but simply the passion with which the freckly fellows engage their pursuits - not to mention their financial backup from a certain bespectacled boy.

There's also their sportive side, (Quidditch and all.) that would perhaps contribute to a distant possibility of ESTP, but I don't think this really is the case.

Molly Weasley is clearly an ESFJ. Allow me to redefine your understanding of logic, with the following sentence. I think she's an ESFJ, because she resembles my own mother in behaivour - probably an ESFJ herself, and one I get along pretty fine, thank you very much. Yeah, that was simply a juggernaut of analysis. Right?
No?
Well... still, it's really simple. Dominant Fe. This particular iron lady thrives on caring for her beloved ones in any way possible, at any time available, and with such fervor as it is necessary. A definite tendency to do "what's best" for the fortunate - or unfortunate - people who are in the process of being helped by this redheaded woman who'd rather lose several limbs than hurt anyone she cares for is readily discernable. Affection is readily displayed with heart-warming sincerity, worry manifests in a contagious change of facial expression, and anger justifies the existence of red hair. An immense social network of countless people, she forms in no time - look how fast Harry was absorbed within, and the Order! - and she cares for every single one of them. Si in the secondary position means that i) family is her, she is family ii) she knits and owls jumpers, as well as all sorts of edibles, every year iii) you should be nice to her and don't swear in her presence. But most importantly it means that the focus is on the present. More likely to hug or kiss than to give sage advice, so to speak. But the intention is all that matters.

Nymphadora Tonks is, I think, an ESFP - and a clumsy one. Now I don't think I really know much about the ESFP type, bless their happy go lucky souls, but there's definitely a fun-loving streak in this character that would make me consider her as ESFP - especially given her rather enviable Metamorphmagic and her use of it as entertainment/a whim where applicable (Violet hair? Changes when she's bored?) and as stated above, her generally optimistic, joyful state of mind. Though I remember her being rather neurotic towards Lupin later - which could be indicative of Auxillary Fi, and which would make for some awkward feeling-verbalizing, probably. As for her Dominant, she's never given me an impression other than being an "in-the-moment" person - I don't remember one line of hers that contained hints of N. Also, as mentioned, her behaivour towards Lupin before they pretty much fluff it out is resembling of the drama that Harry, an ISFP himself, usually internalizes (manifesting as the contemplation of possible negative circumstances regarding any present situation).

More later. :)

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I stumbled onto this site which shows a Harry Potter character for each type. Pirate Monkeys Inc.

I'm was very happy to see that Voldemort was an INTP. I can totally sympathise with him, I would love to be the one who kills Daniel Radcliffe.

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
The practical-joking Weasley twins, and sort of Idealist? The mind boggles and revolts. They are pure-quill Artisan. Extroverted. ETSP.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Harry Potter is an ISFP.

Ron Weasley... ESXP? Biggest detriment to this would be the Yule Ball. Perhaps a shy extrovert.

Hermione Granger being INFJ is probable. Ultimately, I can't say for sure, but I'm leaning a bit more towards ISFJ.

Severus Snape, an INTJ.

Luna Lovegood, my favourite character. INP for sure, and certainly more introverted than Harry. not sure of the Thinking-Feeling - probably F.

Last character I'll talk about for now. Dumbledore. Like people already said, his type is "RAWG" - Really Ancient Wise Guy. Ok, probably not. He's only the most well rounded INTJ ever.

Ok, as I'm really bored...

Fred and George Weasley are ENTPs, or at least ENP types.

Molly Weasley is clearly an ESFJ.

Nymphadora Tonks is, I think, an ESFP - and a clumsy one.

I really liked your analyses here, and I agree with most of them.

My thoughts:

Harry - I could see ISFP or ISTP, but I admit ISFP seems more likely.

I think hermione is ISFJ, but purely because I've never been annoyed so much by an INFJ (and she has the absolute certainty/bull-headness of the ESFJs I know). Actually...I could see ESFJ for her, too. One of my ESFJ friends is exactly like her, come to think of it...

Ron - ISFP

Snape - I think INTJ, but I could also see ISTP (from the last book).

I think Luna is INFP, but maybe not a typical one (obviously). I don't see Ti in her. Perhaps INFJ...although again, no Ti.

I could go either way on Dumbledore, but INTJ fits as well as any...maybe INFJ.

Nymphadora, I could see as an ESFP or an ENFP, but I never paid much attention to her. I could also see Mrs Weasley as either ESFJ or ENFJ, really.

Voldemort - INTJ.

Lupin - ISxx

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Weasley twins are ENTP, it's not even funny. If we're speaking in Keirseyan language, then they are Inventors, not Promoters.

And ENTP Richard Feynman was quite the prankster, too. And both Ne and Se are impulsive -- Ne is a reckless inventor, Se is a reckless experience junkie. I'd say that the Weasley twins were extremely reckless inventors.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
The more I think about it, the more certain I am that Hermione was probably an INTJ. She was so aware of inconsistencies, and so perceptive of when something was amiss. Not only that, but she was EXTREMELY freaking efficient. That says Te to me, not Fe.

Te operates like Fe when it's used for the purposes of observing people and finding the best way to fit in; that's probably why she was typically very polite and well-mannered and aware of what was expected of her. The "model student," as they say. My best friend is an INTJ and is much the same way; she is in no way socially inept, but I can tell her reasons for being socially graceful are more for efficiency purposes than because of her empathy for others.

Furthermore, I suspect Hermione had underveloped Fi, not well-developed Fe. As an INTJ, her third-rung Fi made her adamant about her house elf cause to the ignorance of appropriateness and social norms. Everyone thought she was pretty nuts for being so perseverant with the house elves. Her Fi made her empathize with the house elves without needing to ask them what they felt; she just ASSUMED that they felt oppressed and needed freedom (in actuality, they didn't). Sounds like third-rung Fi, not second-rung Fe.

I can't get over how organized and efficient she was, which sounds much more like Te than Fe. She planned, organized, and executed the Polyjuice potion that she, Harry and Ron took in second year to sneak into the Slytherin common room, and that potion took a whole MONTH to make. Consider the enormous about of organizing and planning that must have gone into it. But she slipped up at the very end of all her hard work by not noticing that the hairs she put into her own potion were a cat's, a mistake that could have been due to inferior Se.

Another reason I think she had well-developed Te is the enormous amount of planning and scheduling that went into her every day: in third year, she was taking about ten classes; in fifth, she was organizing SPEW. She was probably highlighting important events in her calendar every day and making graphs for the number of socks she needed to knit for the house elves.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm beginning to think Hermione is an ENTJ because she is extremely structured and principled, suggesting Te dominance. I also think she is an N because she's much more interested in the theory than the practice (unless the practice is absolutely necessary).

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
Harry Potter - ISFP
Ron Weasely - ESFP? I always thought of him as an E, though. Why does everyone think he's an I?
Hermione Granger - ISTJ, perhaps.
Luna Lovegood (You gotta love her) - INFP. An extreme one at that
Molly Weasely - ESFJ
Percy Weasely - ESTJ. Ambitous, believes in 'appropriate behaviour'
I saw Sirius Black as more of an ENTP, and the Weasely twins as ENFP's.

What would Ginny Weasely's type be? She seems to be smart, funny, but can be rather mean at times.

augmented

MBTI Type
ENTP
Harry - ISFP for sure, for reasons stated before me. I think the tertiary Ni is a pretty good giveaway. He often has epiphanies and realizes momentous things about himself and others, but not consistently or accurately enough for him to be Ni-dominant.

Ron - I'd say ESFP confidently. Very much caught up in the moment, notices the surfaces of things as they're happening and is always categorizing them as good or bad. Ron's not that smart but he's a chill dude.

Hermione - after much thought I would say ISTJ. She becomes gradually more N as the series wears on but her analness in the first few books is strongly indicative of an Si-dominant. Maaaaybe INTJ but seems to rely on experience (always citing stuff she's read, heard about before) as opposed to intuition or new possibilities. And her emotionalness is attributed equally to the chip-on-the-shoulder-unattractive girl complex and tertiary Fi.

Draco - This one's interesting. I would say ENTJ? ENTJ definitely. He's the ringleader, clearly intelligent as hell (he can figure out what Harry's up to just on a hunch, like when he stunned him in the train and beat the shit out of him). Not much in the way of feelings, almost Cartmanian in demeanor, but more mature and darker. They're both ENTJ.

Voldemort - INTP seems right to me. His social isolation during childhood and adulthood indicates introverted personality, and in book 6 you hear all about his past and how fuckin genius he was at magic. He was completely Ti-Ne about it; he came up with new spells and ways to manipulate magic and solve problems. He was a complete innovator in the wizarding world. It was never that much of a master plan-type thing, at first he was just bored with the way Hogwarts was run so he came up with a bunch of new ideas. Hella Ti-Ne.

Snape, on the other hand, is INTJ. Much more of the Ni-Te going on than Voldy, he's smart as balls and figures stuff out in an Ni-way.

I like INFJ for Dumbledore. I think Sirius is probably INFJ too. McGonnagall is ENTJ, Lupin's INFP, the Weasley twins are ENTP, Mrs. Weasley is ESFJ and her daughter is ENFJ. Not sure about Arthur. ENFP maybe?

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hermione - after much thought I would say ISTJ. She becomes gradually more N as the series wears on but her analness in the first few books is strongly indicative of an Si-dominant.
No way :smile:

First off, she's strongly N right from the beginning. OK, I can't remember any example from the first book off the top of my head, but the way she solved the monster riddle in the second book has iNtuition written all over it : pull various clues together and *poof* there you have your answer.

Second, I can be maddeningly anal and I've got next to no Si :D Si is not the only function that can foster analness.

And third: Si people need to feel settled in their environment. Hermione couldn't care less about that. A DomSi Muggleborn would have been *traumatised* by the discovery that they would have to leave the world they know and enter a whole new world, and a very *unsafe* world at that. Not Hermione. "Oh look, I'm a witch! Let's plan the next 20 years in that new world!" That's definitely not Si.

I like INFJ for Dumbledore.
I used to think INFJ for him too, but after the last book, I'm thinking more I/ENTJ. He's learned to FAKE personal interest in people over the many decades of his life, but this personal interest simply wasn't there when he was younger. In fact, even INTJ remains iffy for me, because a normal INTJ would have cared about his sick little sister (Tertiary Fi) far more than Dumbledore did when he was young. Also, I'm not so sure about him being an Introvert: he seems reclusive *when seen through Harry's eyes*, but that doesn't mean much. As the Headmaster, he would have a social life that Harry would know next-to-nothing about. We do know that throughout his life, he was deeply involved in all sorts of groups and common ventures, and that he's *always* seen himself as a leader. So for all those reasons, I'm tempted to type him as ENTJ.

I think Sirius is probably INFJ too.
Nuh-huh :cry: First Sirius is an Extravert: remember how he cheers up when everyone comes to celebrate Christmas at Grimmauld Place, and he gets depressed when he's on his own? And he's definitely NO Fe: he doesn't care about other people for their own sake, he only cares about the people HE cares about, for HIS own sake. And finally, he stinks at understanding people: an INFJ would not have spent so many years in Peter Pettigrew's company, and yet failed to notice how Peter changed allegiance and had betrayed them :shock:

Mrs. Weasley is ESFJ and her daughter is ENFJ.
Molly, yes. Ginny... I don't see it, no. Ginny cares about herself far more than she cares about other people, which is entirely contradictory with being an ENFJ. You can clearly see DomFe at work in Molly, but I don't see a shred of it in Ginny.

(Note: whatever I didn't comment on, I either agree with or don't have a particular opinion about, so please don't think I'm only trying to tear your post apart, OK :) ? )

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Here is my take on everything.

Harry Potter-ISFP (A definite Artisan.. at first, I thought ISTP until I read Book 5), he has an emotionally intense personality but overall a chill guy.

Ron- ESFP (fun loving and loyal to his friends.. I would disagree with Ron not being smart though, he's not a good student but he is a whiz at wizard chess)

Hermione- INTJ- she may seem extroverted at times but that is mostly the INTJ's self-confidence. She seems obsessed with following rules at times but she is primarily an NT and not an SJ.

Draco Malfoy- ENTP, he has the quick wit of an ENXP and doesn't seem to care much for other's feelings. I think the 6th & 7th books show that he is not a J. Draco never had a strong desire or felt any conviction to join the Dark Arts as his father did. According to Socionics, he is Harry's duel. Draco was a leader of his group (but his followers were Crabbe and Goyle for crying out loud..), I don't think he has the assertive personality of an ENTJ.

Snape- INTJ with a strong Fi function. INTJ's can be good at playing the role as 'double agent' to achieve long-term objectives.

Dumbledore- INFJ, I think Dumbledore is an Introvert.. they can be strong leaders especially if others trust them.

J.K Rowling- INTJ? She said in an interview that she could relate the most to Hermione.

Voldemort- Call me crazy. But I think Voldemort might have been a troubled INFP or ISFP..

Sirius Black- ENFP, a fun-loving trickster type, extremely loyal to his friends. Had the rebellious streak of an ENFP, he is not an Introvert.

Luna Lovegood- INFP.. classic! She's absent-minded and gentle.
Hagrid- ISFJ
Molly Weasley- ESFJ
Percy Weasley- ESTJ
Arthur Weasley- INTP
Professor McGonagall- ISTJ
Professor Slughorn- ESTP
Ginny Weasley- ENFJ (most teenagers are 'me-centered')
Fred & George Weasley- both are ENFP

So many Intuitives!!!!!!

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Dumbledore- INFJ, I think Dumbledore is an Introvert.. they can be strong leaders especially if others trust them.
True. But INFJs don't typically *aspire* to leadership positions, unlike Dumbledore. For 6 books he's presented as being some kind of unwilling leader, but in the last book, it's revealed that in fact he's always seen himself as a leader. There was nothing unwilling about him holding all those leading positions, quite the contrary: he wanted them. He even *schemed* with Grindelwald to take over both the Wizarding World and the Muggle World. There's nothing INFJ in this.

Ginny Weasley- ENFJ (most teenagers are 'me-centered')
True, but still, why ENFJ? Extraverted, I can see that. But iNtuitive? And Fe? They don't strike me in Ginny, no. So why ENFJ? I'm honestly puzzled :unsure:

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
True. But INFJs don't typically *aspire* to leadership positions, unlike Dumbledore. For 6 books he's presented as being some kind of unwilling leader, but in the last book, it's revealed that in fact he's always seen himself as a leader. There was nothing unwilling about him holding all those leading positions, quite the contrary: he wanted them. He even *schemed* with Grindelwald to take over both the Wizarding World and the Muggle World. There's nothing INFJ in this.

J.K Rowling described Dumbledore as a Machiavellian figure. He certainly seemed like an INFJ before, but now I think he's more of an ENTJ.

Ginny is all at once savvy, snarky, and very self-confident. She once told Harry that she believes almost anything possible, “if you’ve got enough nerve” (OP29), and follows through on that belief. Despite being perpetually “too young” and overprotected by her mother, Ginny also flatly refused to be left behind, either when Harry took off for the Department of Mysteries (OP33) or when Voldemort announced his intention to attack Hogwarts (DH31). She is a wicked mimic, skewering everyone from Umbridge to Fleur to her brother Ron.

Doesn't seem ENFJ.

am_i_evil666

that's my theory:

Draco Malfoy - ESTP. everybody knows ESTPs are evil.

Harry Potter - INFP

Hermione - INTJ. she is very alike to a person I know.

Ron - ESFP

Sirius - I don't care, but he's still very sexy.

Voldemort - ENTJ.

MBTI Type
INFP
Here are my imaginings:

Harry Potter = ISTP
That quiet inability to express his feelings.
That deep loyalty to his friends.
His action-orientation.
The rest is teenage angst, to me.

McGonagall = ISTJ. Straight up.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Harry Potter: ISFP

Luna Lovegood: INTP, She seemed more thinker than feeler to me, and INTP tend to be really absent-minded. INFP might fit her, but she seemed like she doesn't really care about other's criticisms about her, INFPs tend to get hurt easily when they are being criticized.

Hermione Granger: INFJ, she is a Ni, and she seemed to possess Fe, she seemed like a NiFe being forced/was adapted to grow up with Te tendencies. And she is very passionate towards S.P.E.W, a very characteristic trait of idealists. Her self-confidence and self-assertiveness might stemmed from her family's upbringing.

Draco Malfoy: ENTx

Last edited: