• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Caffeine and MBTI

Which type desires caffeine/stimulants the most?

• ENTP

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • ENTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • ESFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESFJ

• ENFP

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • ENFJ

• INTP

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • INTJ

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• INFP

• INFJ

• Total voters

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Which type is more likely have a desire for Caffeine(Stimulants)than others?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
There are some statistics bumping around somewhere (sure I read them in a practioners MBTI book) about the drugs of choice of different types.

In summary, the more "society/SJ" based a type is the more likely it is to abuse drugs that really go off the rails, and the more distant types (say NP) are more likely to just want to be out of their heads.

So.. an ISFJ may abuse cocaine, and an INTP may abuse alcohol.

There was some correlation in studies at least.

Where does caffeine fit? I suppose types that struggle with getting things done on time and leaving to get stuff started could abuse stimulants to get going in the mornings, late at night when panicking. So my money is on "P"s to be caffeine users. For J's the caffeine may be more of a regular routine.

Speculation mostly!

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think it's type related, but I can't wait for more replies.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Where does caffeine fit? I suppose types that struggle with getting things done on time and leaving to get stuff started could abuse stimulants to get going in the mornings, late at night when panicking. So my money is on "P"s to be caffeine users. For J's the caffeine may be more of a regular routine.

Speculation mostly!

I was thinking the same thing!...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I love stimulants, but I don't have trouble getting things started.

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I love caffeine, and I'll admittedly be a bit irked if I miss my morning coffee (or four - I drink a lot of it). Not because I'm addicted to it (I actually tried this by going without caffeine for nearly a week, with no side effects other than missing the taste), but I do enjoy the subtle push to get going and organise my thoughts even if I already have the motivation to get up/get dressed/go to class. I like alcohol because it will, in moderation, get me to talk to people I wouldn't necessarily speak to otherwise, or speak more openly to others and entertain ideas I would scoff sober (if only for the sake of argument), but I abhor total inhibition and am not a social or heavy drinker by any means. I like my mind and I don't really want to have to rely on anything to keep it in order/quiet/etc. I just like the taste of coffee, basically.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
If it helps, every NTP type I know is a lover of coffee. *sheepishly eyes her avatar*

As an English major, caffeine (and taurine, to a lesser extent) is a regular guest in my bloodstream. It's essential for last minute essay writing, and well, getting out of bed for lectures.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
If it helps, every NTP type I know is a lover of coffee. *sheepishly eyes her avatar*
Exception here!
I didn't vote because I really don't know. I don't think it is type related.

Perceivers needing coffee to do those last-minute things? No... stress is fuel enough.

letsplaytwister

Heh, I registered back in November and have been lurking ever since, but the thing that finally gets me to actually post for the first time is a thread on caffeine! Go figure... :)

I'm an INFP, and I LOVE coffee. I especially like drinking it at night. My body is so tolerant to it though that I can drink three cups right before going to bed and sleep like a rock! However, I don't know many (if any) other INFPs so I can't say if it's a trend. I do know my ISFJ girlfriend (also an English major) and ENFP best friend drink it religiously as well!

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
I read somewhere that introverts are more strongly affected by caffeine.
I myself never seeem to feel the effects of caffeine, even after I drink an "energy" drink at 11 pm.
It's horrible.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I like caffeine for it's use as a treatment of migraines. It's somewhat interesting to have some cola and have it put me to sleep within a minute or two.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I just will myself to stay awake if I need to. Never been big on using substances to enhance or alter my performance or improve my state of mind.

Qre:us

Most days, I need my morning coffee, but it's not a craving, or addiction.

And, I cannot have more than 1 cup a day, at max.

ENTP...my Ne gives me more than enough 'stimulants' for the brain. :doh:

(I think there was a thread about trying to correlate preference of drugs with types....yeah, the funny threads we see...but I believe there was some discussion about the logic behind why some types are attracted to certain drugs due to their effects, e.g., stimulants versus depressants, etc.)

Fecal McAngry

Which type is more likely have a desire for Caffeine(Stimulants)than others?
I have noticed certain patterns...

Probably depends on the specific drug in question to some extent rather than broader groupings. Caffeine, cocaine and nicotine are all stimulants, but due to mechanism of action I'd expect cocaine to have a more discriminating appeal to extroverts than nicotine...Cocaine boosts dopamine, while nicotine boosts dopamine and acetylcholine...

Of course, if trends exist, they are only trends. I doubt anyone was ever more addicted to cocaine than John Belushi, an ISFP...

FWIW, I typically consume 800-1000 mgs caffeine/day...

sleepy

I dont drink coffee(no effect, just bad taste). Maybe a handful of cups my entire life. I also dont drink cola(very rarely). I smoke(but dont really inhale), it makes me drowsy, and I like to sleep. I also drink alcohol now and then, for the mind liberating experience. Often into oblivion. I like it, even if it's for sure not healthy. There can be a long time in between.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't drink coffee much any more. I used to, just for the effects, but they were minimal even in the beginning, and by the time I stopped drinking it, non-existent.

But I do like stimulants of other sorts...(not cocaine or any kind of hard, illegal drug, though.)

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't remember caffeine ever having a notable effect on me. Maybe because I used to drink a lot of soda when I was younger. Now I rarely ever touch the stuff.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I drink about three liters of diet coke every day. Since I usually don't get up before noon, I don't have a morning coffee (or at least I don't know if I do).

To me it's more a beverage I have when I get together with other people, in the evening after school, or when I have a headache (btw coffee is great against headaches).
I don't think it's type related though.

Also, I think this guy :coffee: is curiously absent from a thread like this.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I love me some stimulants! You know, just a little somfin somfin to kick my brain into gear.

I have a hard time imagining correlations between drug use and MBTI, but I wonder if there aren't some patterns associated with enneagram types, which relate more to a person's inner drives and compulsions.