• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Office

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Hard to imagine what "The Office" looks like without David Brent...

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd wager:
Call

Michael: ESFP
He's a total N. Listen to him -- all the time he says "Ryan is like a fireman..." and then he elaborates on his half baked analogy"
Other Ne-ish stuff around.
Dwight: ESTJ
I think so. He's also got good Ne, but he's clearly ESTJ. He reminds me of my less overbearing cousin
Ryan: ESTJ
I. Not sure on the S/N though. I like S a little better but N seems like it might fit. The N is most prominent in the Dunder Mifflin Infinity epsode. He speaks about it as if it's some kind of grandiose business maneuver. Seems like it was some kind of transcendent movement for him. Perhaps an ENTJ day.
Pam: INFp
Definitely an I_F_. Ivy == Pam
That was my first impression too, but there are clever ISTPs, and he really kind of looks like an I to me. He also does that thing Joe Butt talk about where ISTPs basically do nothing until they've come up with an idea and they launch themselves at it.
Angela: ISTJ
Owned

Stanley: ISTP
I think J. So responsibility oriented its' ridiculous.
Toby: INFP
I would have said SJ, but NP seems to work too. Really really I though.
Kevin: ISFP
Oscar: ISTP
I like these
Phyllis: ISFP
Somehow I think she's somewhere in between ISFP and ESFJ. I definitely agree that feeling is first, with sensing second in line.
Meredith: ISFJ
?
Seems the most SP of anyone. Perhaps due to (or a cause of) her alcoholism. Also, she seems more like a T. I'd have gone with ISTP
Jan: ENTJ
S. She has a lot of anxiety over 'normalcy'
Andy: ESTP
He looked like an F as much as a T. I want to go with ESxP.
Karen: ENFP
I liked ESTP. Not sure on her though. She seemed to jump around.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Michael Scott

What do you think his type is?

I'd like for this to remain its own thread for a little while, but eventually I wouldn't mind if the mods moved it into the other office threads.

I had a prevailing assumption about him, and recently changed my mind. I'd rather not sway any of you, so I'll wait 'til a few people present a case before I type mine.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Who is he?

There are too many references to pick from on Wikipedia.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
My guess

Artisan Impact-seeking personality (just a hunch)
+ Informative over directive communication (when he tries to fire Creed, etc.)
+ Extroversion over introversion (another hunch)
------------------------------------------
ESFP?

But I honestly haven't seen all that much of the show.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd probably agree if I'd only seen those same episodes.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Dang. All my threads always go to shit.

Okay, I'll talk. I think he's ENFJ.

Any guesses how I figured that out?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
How come Night?

By the way, ESFP and ENFJ often appear similar IMO.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I could definitely see NF. His relationship with his boss (Jan?) seems to show some desire for self-actualization, and some over-the-top expectations, which intuitives sometimes have when they focus on possibilities too much.

Also, I can't remember any specifics, but it seems like he's tried to pull people out of their shell, improve moral, and usher in deeper personal understanding between his employees. I seem to remember him taking over the complaints box and trying to resolve everyones' issues or something, among other things.

Yeah, I could see it. He could definitely be a (comically) awkward ENFJ.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah.

Especially look for the moralizing in Fe. It's all bourgeois moralizing. There's a lot of stress on him though. It seems like his Ni struggles with his Fe. Like they're in stark contrast to one another, at least on some ways.

One episode shows a great deal of symbolism driven Fe when he wanted to have a funeral for a bird that ran into the side of the building.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I thought you would. Took me a while to realize his perception is quite introverted.

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me before.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah.

Especially look for the moralizing in Fe. It's all bourgeois moralizing. There's a lot of stress on him though. It seems like his Ni struggles with his Fe. Like they're in stark contrast to one another, at least on some ways.

One episode shows a great deal of symbolism driven Fe when he wanted to have a funeral for a bird that ran into the side of the building.

I think one of the hallmarks of Michael Scott is that he isn't aware of other people's feelings/often misreads them completely and has a very poor understanding in that whole regard- which I think points to poor Fe? He *tries* to please and be popular and have lots of friends (as evidenced in the Take Your Daughter to Work episode), but he's not very sucessful.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
What do you mean by poor Fe? That it's not there, or he just does a bad job with it?

redacted

I think one of the hallmarks of Michael Scott is that he isn't aware of other people's feelings/often misreads them completely and has a very poor understanding in that whole regard- which I think points to poor Fe? He *tries* to please and be popular and have lots of friends (as evidenced in the Take Your Daughter to Work episode), but he's not very sucessful.

Fe isn't about accuracy. it's about focus.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm, I'm not sure which I meant. I was mostly asking you to share how you reached this conclusion of ENFJ (over ESFP or ENFP).

I just see more Fi in Michael- in his idealizations (of being a funny boss, mentoring Ryan, etc), rather than responding to others using the currency of emotion.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmm, I'm not sure which I meant. I was mostly asking you to share how you reached this conclusion of ENFJ (over ESFP or ENFP).

I just see more Fi in Michael- in his idealizations (of being a funny boss, mentoring Ryan, etc), rather than responding to others using the currency of emotion.

How is that Fi?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I don't watch The Office, but I just read the wikipedia article on Michael Scott. He's definitely ExFx. Mostly he floats between any extroverted and feeling type. He seems to show a slight preference for immature Fe (over reliance on standardized symbols of caring, wanting to connect with others in a meaningful way but not knowing how, moralizing) although immature Fi shows up frequently.

Fe is a poorly understood function on the forum because all people see is a set of instructions on manners and etiquette. Like I said he seems to want to connect to people (Fe) but just because you're an FJ (or TP) doesn't mean you use your Fe well. It's just how your feeling comes out. What's confusing about Michael Scott's character is you can't tell if he's more comfortable using Fe but his poor command of it makes it look like Fi or if he prefers Fi and is horrible at Fe. I don't believe that just because we have a preference for a function it's used skillfully.

Also, do you see any evidence for what his thinking preference is? When I interact with FPs there Te contrasts sharply with my Ti. It just seems obvious when I go into analyze mode and they go into categorize mode. I also think it's worth bringing up how certain function combinations look like others. BW and "?" have mentioned this and Linda Berens elaborated this in one of her books.

It helps to begin narrowing if he's a dominant feeler (EFJ) or auxiliary feeler (EFP). EFJs are more connected to their values and EFPs are more connected with their perceptions.
The way he's described in the wikipedia article makes it look like he's a dominant feeler:

-Michael places his personal interests as a priority over work (such as his birthday, someone else's birthday, or a funeral for a deceased bird)
-he often places those responsibilities secondary to his desire to be friends with his employees.
-He keeps several joke books in his desk for reference (would a dominant perceiver do that or would they rather wing it?)
-One of the more frequent things Michael does is host seminars that range from diversity, sexual harassment, the handicapped, public speaking, drugs, homosexuality, grief counseling, prison, religion, and women's appreciation in an attempt to educate his staff (he's not afraid to address the Big Five!)

It makes sense to me that he's most likely either ENFJ or ESFP I just can't really explain why. I don't see much Ne, just Fe, Fi, Se, and Ni.