• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Give me a fictious INFJ?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
No no, this is good :) I have a bad tendency with stuff like Harry Potter to type based on the actors in the movie and not on the books. I had forgotten about the diary...that makes sense. What I'm still not sure about is whether she's IxxJ. You've showed NF fairly convincingly, but how are those functions oriented, and in what order? The whole "imaginary friend" thing could very well be INFP. Don't mean to rain on your party haha...I'm just very hesitant to award the INFJ type to anyone because it's so rare. Even in film, surprisingly.

As I've said before, its just my perspective...

I think she is an I type because she doens't discuss stuff out loud, she hadn't discussed her crush on Harry with Hermioney even though H knew, she was fairly closed mouth about the diary....

As for J I just don't see her as flakey/flexibale as a P type.. she appears more planned out, she goes to quidich practice, she doesn't run out of cash like Ron does (he's a P type), she is in control of the situation - her fighting with Ron about her freedom to date (although I suspect Ps would do that too).

It's a perspective, don't get too tied up, she isn't really ;)

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
As I've said before, its just my perspective...

I think she is an I type because she doens't discuss stuff out loud, she hadn't discussed her crush on Harry with Hermioney even though H knew, she was fairly closed mouth about the diary....

As for J I just don't see her as flakey/flexibale as a P type.. she appears more planned out, she goes to quidich practice, she doesn't run out of cash like Ron does (he's a P type), she is in control of the situation - her fighting with Ron about her freedom to date (although I suspect Ps would do that too).

It's a perspective, don't get too tied up, she isn't really ;)

I get a way different read on Ginny than you seem to. I don't get an intuitive feel from her at all... on the contrary, to me she seems very SP. I don't think that the character is really developed enough to type definitively, but everything we hear about her is about how ballsy and quick-witted she is. Those aren't traits that are typically associated with INFJs. I also can't think of any instances that would make me think that Ginny is N rather than S. Ginny seems pretty impulse-driven to me (hence her involvement with the diary to begin with). The things she says and does in the books strike me as STP, probably ESTP.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Oh, now I remembered: Nicole Kidman's character in Baz Luhrmann's 'Australia' is an INFJ. Hugh Jackman's is some STP and the little boy is totally INFP.

I guess that many characters played by Nicole Kidman are INFJs, as she's one too, imo. Virginia Woolf in 'The Hours'... definitely. The mother in 'The Others' seems like one as well. And the heroine of 'Dogville' too. In fact, I was already thinking about Mrs. Coulter in 'The Golden Compass' as an example of a fictional INFJ, but she's probably more of an ENFJ after all.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I really can't stop wondering about Amelie. Where do you see the Fi Ne in her? I'm genuinely interested because I can see her as an INFP as a child, but everything she does as an adult can be attributed to Ni Fe, imo.

agree so much with this

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really can't stop wondering about Amelie. Where do you see the Fi Ne in her? I'm genuinely interested because I can see her as an INFP as a child, but everything she does as an adult can be attributed to Ni Fe, imo. However, I have a pretty strong suspicion that Audrey Tatou is an INFJ, and that could influence substantially how the character feels to me.

The way she exacts sneaky moral retribution could be INFP as much as INFJ. At least I relate to that, having done things in that manner. :whistling:
She seems pretty go-with-the-flow in her life. Content to just dream her life away until Nino makes an appearance & the old man prods her. INFJs seem more motivated. The general shyness, imagination, etc could be either INF type.

Do you think so? Personally, I'd type Elizabeth as an ENTP; Elinor and Marianne in Sense and Sensibility as an ISTJ (maybe INTJ) and ENFP; Catherine in Northanger Abbey as an ISFJ, possibly (I don't recall the book too clearly). The only Austen heroine that seems INFx to me is Anne Elliot in Persuasion. I do think that Austen was an INTJ, though.

Elizabeth Bennet was analyzed in one thread and I came away thinking she was INFJ.... I think she is close on the I/E line though. ENTP seems entirely unlikely to me.... Austen likes characters that have a moral strength and self-discipline; rarely are they impetuous. Her heroines never strike me as P types of any kind, except for Marianne in Sense & Sensibility and she's basically "punished" for it.

I think Fanny Price in Mansfield Park may be INFJ - but I haven't read that one in a long time. I thought that Catherine could be IxFJ, but I could see S over N. And yes, Anne in Persuasion is likely INFJ.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
The way she exacts sneaky moral retribution could be INFP as much as INFJ. At least I relate to that, having done things in that manner. :whistling:
She seems pretty go-with-the-flow in her life. Content to just dream her life away until Nino makes an appearance & the old man prods her. INFJs seem more motivated. The general shyness, imagination, etc could be either INF type.

Hmm... to be honest, this sounds to me like your relating to her is more personally based than type based. I don't think there's anything bad about that, as the fictional character I possibly relate the most to is before mentioned INFJ Anne Elliot... I just don't think that anything you mentioned above points to an INFP and not INFJ. Maybe it's possible for INFPs to seek moral retribution, but it's typical for INFJs, for instance. INFJs are the archetypal judgers of other people's feelings/actions, the judgers who actually act and not only theorize. I think that Amelie's initial detachedness from other people is a typical Ni thing, and later she connects with them through Fe, not Ne. (She's very similar to Sara Crewe in A Little Princess in this aspect - another INFJ character I hugely relate to.) Plus, personally I think that an INFP would question more if their actions are truly beneficial for those who they help, in other words, if they are universally just; Amelie seems to be more self-righteous and doesn't really question that at all (she seems to have her own justice). It's not like self-righteous INFPs don't exist, but in fiction, self-righteousness is typical for INFJs.

Besides that, have you noticed the parallel between Amelie and the old man? I believe that he's an INTJ, and they basically have the same goal (Ni), but they use different means (Fe x Te) to reach it.

OrangeAppled said:
Elizabeth Bennet was analyzed in one thread and I came away thinking she was INFJ.... I think she is close on the I/E line though. ENTP seems entirely unlikely to me.... Austen likes characters that have a moral strength and self-discipline; rarely are they impetuous. Her heroines never strike me as P types of any kind, except for Marianne in Sense & Sensibility and she's basically "punished" for it.

Well, maybe I would be able to see the ENFJ, but certainly not the INFJ, for the simple reason that Elizabeth strikes me as a total extrovert. She even openly despises Mr Darcy for being so antisocal. Besides, if she was an INFJ, she would have to be the same type as Anne Elliot, and I'm afraid I fail to see any similarities besides both of them being clever. However, to be honest, I don't buy the ENFJ either. If she was an ENFJ, she would have to be Fe dominant, and I really don't think she's that in tune with community or even so concerned about others - the opposite is the truth most of the time, she is very independent and doesn't care much about following norms. She does have a certain 'Fe' personal charm, but that could very well be the Tertiary. (Every ENTP I know is an extremely charming person.) I don't even see her as an NF, to tell the truth - the thing she values the most about herself seems to be her independence and her keen wit, which is typical for ENTP women from what I've observed. Plus, most of her talks with Mr Darcy are heated intellectual discussions; she sees her NF sister Jane as a 'too kind' dreamer; her INTP father relates to her the best; and she's an almost polar opposite of her obnoxious ESFJ mother. All of this leaves me with an NT.

As for your arguments, I'm not sure if I find them valid. firstly, I don't see that much self-discipline in Elizabeth at all, what I see first and foremost is pride and opinionatedness, and she doesn't really direct her intelligence anywhere, apart from enjoying her battles of wit. That doesn't exclude ENTP at all. Secondly, I do think that Elizabeth acts pretty impetuous and passionate from time to time. As for Marianne, I don't think she was punished for being a 'P' - I think she was punished for representing such an unstoppable and irrational 'sensibility', as opposed to Elinor's 'sense', which Austen definitely seems to favor. But Elizabeth is rational and intellectual, without being cold and insensitive.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hmm... to be honest, this sounds to me like your relating to her is more personally based than type based. I don't think there's anything bad about that, as the fictional character I possibly relate the most to is before mentioned INFJ Anne Elliot... I just don't think that anything you mentioned above points to an INFP and not INFJ. Maybe it's possible for INFPs to seek moral retribution, but it's typical for INFJs, for instance. INFJs are the archetypal judgers of other people's feelings/actions, the judgers who actually act and not only theorize. I think that Amelie's initial detachedness from other people is a typical Ni thing, and later she connects with them through Fe, not Ne. (She's very similar to Sara Crewe in A Little Princess in this aspect - another INFJ character I hugely relate to.) Plus, personally I think that an INFP would question more if their actions are truly beneficial for those who they help, in other words, if they are universally just; Amelie seems to be more self-righteous and doesn't really question that at all (she seems to have her own justice). It's not like self-righteous INFPs don't exist, but in fiction, self-righteousness is typical for INFJs.

Besides that, have you noticed the parallel between Amelie and the old man? I believe that he's an INTJ, and they basically have the same goal (Ni), but they use different means (Fe x Te) to reach it.

agreed again

funny that you should mention it, one of my only friends is also an INTJ, and i can definitely see some parallels there as well

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know if he's already been mentioned, but what about Paul from Frank Herbert's "Dune" series? Is he an INFJ? He seems like the epitome of INFJ, especially in the first book, but I think Herbert changed his character a bit later on in the series, and he seems like he might be more INTJ in Dune Messiah.

There was a Dune movie from the 1970s or 80s, but I wouldn't rely too much on the character develop from that to type Paul. It was a complete joke.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think she is universalizing her feeling....she empathizes with someone she sees as a victim and then justifies her actions against the "victimzer" by making herself some kind of representative for karma. That could be Ne universalizing Fi feelings and judgments.

She also connects to people with imaginative, indirect ways, which seems Ne over Fe to me. However, I could see an argument for Ni coming out through Fe.

My point is, I don't think enough points to INFJ over INFP or vice versa. Some things point to one over the other, but a lot of it is neutral. I think if her character spoke more it would be more telling. We mostly just observe her in the movie and have a narrator talking to us.

Well, maybe I would be able to see the ENFJ, but certainly not the INFJ, for the simple reason that Elizabeth strikes me as a total extrovert. She even openly despises Mr Darcy for being so antisocal. Besides, if she was an INFJ, she would have to be the same type as Anne Elliot, and I'm afraid I fail to see any similarities besides both of them being clever. However, to be honest, I don't buy the ENFJ either. If she was an ENFJ, she would have to be Fe dominant, and I really don't think she's that in tune with community or even so concerned about others - the opposite is the truth most of the time, she is very independent and doesn't care much about following norms. She does have a certain 'Fe' personal charm, but that could very well be the Tertiary. (Every ENTP I know is an extremely charming person.) I don't even see her as an NF, to tell the truth - the thing she values the most about herself seems to be her independence and her keen wit, which is typical for ENTP women from what I've observed. Plus, most of her talks with Mr Darcy are heated intellectual discussions; she sees her NF sister Jane as a 'too kind' dreamer; her INTP father relates to her the best; and she's an almost polar opposite of her obnoxious ESFJ mother. All of this leaves me with an NT.

As for your arguments, I'm not sure if I find them valid. firstly, I don't see that much self-discipline in Elizabeth at all, what I see first and foremost is pride and opinionatedness, and she doesn't really direct her intelligence anywhere, apart from enjoying her battles of wit. That doesn't exclude ENTP at all. Secondly, I do think that Elizabeth acts pretty impetuous and passionate from time to time.

Elizabeth dislikes Darcy for not being social - exactly, he is not meeting the social requirements for a polite gentleman and his rudeness offends her. I hardly see an NT being so offended by this, but a Fe-aux, yes. She is also embarrassed by her silly younger sisters and concerned about their reputation, whereas her INTP dad just laughs at them. I don't see an ENTP being so concerned about impropriety. She also uses her intelligence with her father in trying to see why something is a bad idea. I feel there's some Ni in her foresight of how her sister's going off with the troops is not smart.

She seems too quick to judge people and comes to conclusions too quickly (ie. Mr. Darcy and Mr. Wickham's characters were surmised very quickly by her, too quickly) to be Ne-dom. I also find ENTPs much more abrasive and less emotional, and while she has a sharp tongue, she avoids outright rudeness unless she is provoked and gets emotional. Most NFJs I know enjoy verbal wit and intellectual discussion and I don't know any NF woman who does not value independence. Don't mistake Feeling for softness.

She also seeks out a lot of time alone to meditate on her feelings. In the book, she seems to prefer being alone or not among a large group. The movie makes her a lot more vivacious and rebellious in spirit. Although, I could see her as a low E.

I don't see Jane as NF at all (I'd say ISFx), but that's not what we're discussing.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Half the INFJs on this forum are fictitious. :ohmy:

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Elizabeth dislikes Darcy for not being social - exactly, he is not meeting the social requirements for a polite gentleman and his rudeness offends her. I hardly see an NT being so offended by this, but a Fe-aux, yes. She is also embarrassed by her silly younger sisters and concerned about their reputation, whereas her INTP dad just laughs at them. I don't see an ENTP being so concerned about impropriety. She also uses her intelligence with her father in trying to see why something is a bad idea. I feel there's some Ni in her foresight of how her sister's going off with the troops is not smart.

She seems too quick to judge people and comes to conclusions too quickly (ie. Mr. Darcy and Mr. Wickham's characters were surmised very quickly by her, too quickly) to be Ne-dom. I also find ENTPs much more abrasive and less emotional, and while she has a sharp tongue, she avoids outright rudeness unless she is provoked and gets emotional. Most NFJs I know enjoy verbal wit and intellectual discussion and I don't know any NF woman who does not value independence. Don't mistake Feeling for softness.

She also seeks out a lot of time alone to meditate on her feelings. In the book, she seems to prefer being alone or not among a large group. The movie makes her a lot more vivacious and rebellious in spirit. Although, I could see her as a low E.

Ok, I see your point now. The problem is, we probably have a different idea of what an ENTP or NFJ woman looks like, and we imagined Elizabeth differently while reading the book. I admit that I partly see Elizabeth as an ENTP because a few of my ENTP friends are virtually her mind-mates, they have about the same level of Fe (which they apply only on people who they dislike, at least in the sense of a 'social norm') and a very similar "energy" about them, so I really don't have a reason not to believe she is one. Contrastively, the NFJs I know are nothing like Elizabeth (they are much more structured and apparently emotional, for one thing, and they try very hard to be polite and nice to everyone), so I have a hard time seeing her as one. You actually addressed it just right - my idea of Elizabeth after reading the book was much closer to the one pictured in the movie than the one in the 1995 BBC series, which really is written and presented as an xNFJ. I would have to read the book again to add more arguments, but it's interesting to see what a huge role individual interpretation plays in this.

It just crossed my mind that Elizabeth Bennet and Jane Eyre are often considered to be 'soul-mates' (at least in the sense of wanting to be 'equal' to their partners), which would support your theory. However, even if I see general similarities, my personal ideas of Jane and Elizabeth are substantially different. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that they appear in books written by an F author and a T author, which has a dramatic effect on the tone and general 'feel' of the novels.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You actually addressed it just right - my idea of Elizabeth after reading the book was much closer to the one pictured in the movie than the one in the 1995 BBC series, which really is written and presented as an xNFJ. I would have to read the book again to add more arguments, but it's interesting to see what a huge role individual interpretation plays in this.

Exactly....my view of the 1995 series version is that it is a more accurate portrayal of the book than the recent movie. I suppose it's a different interpretation of the character then.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Exactly....my view of the 1995 series version is that it is a more accurate portrayal of the book than the recent movie. I suppose it's a different interpretation of the character then.

Yeah. Glad we agreed on that :)

Back to the topic... what about some of Meg Ryan's characters? I keep thinking about the one in French Kiss, but probably my memory is deluding me and she was actually an ISTJ. But the one in You've Got Mail was an INFJ, I suppose - and a variation on Elizabeth Bennet, actually. It seems like I'm losing :sadbanana: :D

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually read once that INFJ works better in novels and INFPs work better on screen. Therefore films tend to adapt even the INFJ book characters to be INFPs.

INFJ just doesnt work well as a movie character (too much inner monologue that would go unnoticed).
INFP just doesnt work as well as a book character (too much outward moping rather than analysis inner monologue)

:takes cover:

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I actually read once that INFJ works better in novels and INFPs work better on screen. Therefore films tend to adapt even the INFJ book characters to be INFPs.

INFJ just doesnt work well as a movie character (too much inner monologue that would go unnoticed).
INFP just doesnt work as well as a book character (too much outward moping rather than analysis inner monologue)

:takes cover:

sounds pretty possible to me

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Another idea...

I think that many, if not most of, Cate Blanchett's characters might be INFJs. In my opinion, she has such a strong INFJ vibe that she's either casted into the roles of INFJs or they become INFJ because she plays them.

I get a similar vibe from Audrey Tautou, actually.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another idea...

I think that many, if not most of, Cate Blanchett's characters might be INFJs. In my opinion, she has such a strong INFJ vibe that she's either casted into the roles of INFJs or they become INFJ because she plays them.

Well, I think Cate IS an INFJ in real life, so it makes sense that she'd carry some of that into her roles. (and she's been cast in INFJ roles as well)