• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ulysses Grant - ISFP?

leejz

Why is Ulysses Grant commonly typed as an ISFP?

I was wondering, I came across several sites which listed Ulysses Grant as an ISFP, but none really did give an explanation why. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that an ISFP would particularly enjoy being an Army General or a President. But there could be exceptions I guess...if his motivation was centered about a cause based on personal values?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I suppose a well developed ISFP has good Ni and Te, the stereotypical "military leader" functions.

S

Sniffles

From what I know, Grant didn't entirely fit in within the military enviroment, as was seen during his time at West Point. He graduated rather low in his class, and received several reprimands. He even earned the nickname "Useless Grant".

I suppose a well developed ISFP has good Ni and Te, the stereotypical "military leader" functions.

Would also explain his grasp of "grand strategy" as opposed to his opponent Robert E. Lee.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's weird, I get the feeling that ISFP decision is influenced by his Presidential terms, where he is remembered for bringing his friends to office and not putting his foot down on their corruption (or so the history books go). Also lots of drinking and lack of formality.

But if what Peguy says is true, maybe there are stronger reasons than just history's outlook on his Presidency.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'd actually argue that Grant was an ISTP.
During the Civil War, he seemed to have little trouble letting subjective manners get to him-unlike the more emotion-based Lincoln (INFJ).
Ti is very useful in being an effective commander.
He was a naive ISTP and didn't really understand the political jungle well enough to do much to stop the corruption.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think Lincoln was more INTJ than INFJ.

Let's debate on this.
Reasons Why I Think Lincoln is INFJ
Abraham Lincoln's Letter to Ephraim D. and Phoebe Ellsworth

This letter is full of condolences and really produces a powerful emotional effect on the reader. Not that an INTJ can't do this but it come so much easier to the INFJ... it's not just that Lincoln showed compassion but the way it was written.

There are a lot of other important character traits which put Lincoln in favor of INFJ such as lacking decisiveness in a situation where one needs to put pressure on others.. however, the INTJ's I know are kind of bad at this too. It's not really a feeling issue- it's rather a "being in touch with the physical world" issue.

However, this was the thing I read about Lincoln which led me to think INFJ over INTJ.
Grant wrote the following about Lincoln in his memoirs.

"[The Secretary of War] and General Halleck both cautioned me against giving the President my plans of campaign, saying that he was so kind-hearted, so averse to refusing anything asked of him, that some friend would be sure to get from him all he knew."

This doesn't sound like a problem an INTJ would struggle with but rather an INFJ.

S

Sniffles

That would be a wonderful discussion to have. I've been reading up on Lincoln's abilities as commander-in-chief.