• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DN's Author Type List VI

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I've started thinking about children's authors...

Astrid Lindgren - I don't know much about her life, but judging by her books she was almost certainly an NFP. The Fi seems very strong and I think I see quite a lot of Si in some of her books (like Six Bullerby Children), so I guess INFP.

Jacqueline Wilson - seems like an NFP as well; I haven't read the book about her childhood yet, but vast majority of her heroines are introverts, so I would say an INFP also. Her writing style is also suspiciously similar to mine.

I wonder about Cornelia Funke...

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've started thinking about children's authors...

Astrid Lindgren - I don't know much about her life, but judging by her books she was almost certainly an NFP. The Fi seems very strong and I think I see quite a lot of Si in some of her books (like Six Bullerby Children), so I guess INFP.

Jacqueline Wilson - seems like an NFP as well; I haven't read the book about her childhood yet, but vast majority of her heroines are introverts, so I would say an INFP also. Her writing style is also suspiciously similar to mine.

I wonder about Cornelia Funke...
Just as you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, you shouldn't judge a writer by his book. There will obviously be some hints in anything a person writes--writing is just another form of self-expression, after all--but sometimes a writer will exaggerate an aspect of their personality in order to explore an issue which, though it may not be a huge deal in their own life, they still consider important to humanity in general. Another thing that can lead to confusion (and this can combine with the previous issue) is when a writer makes use of certain themes that aren't particularly relevant to them in order to give themselves a platform for themes that are relevant to them. I know that if people were to judge my personality on the basis of my first two books, they would probably call me an E6 INFP, simply because I was exploring issues that are central to that personality more than they're central to my own (although there was still, of course, a certain amount therapy and self-expression involved [particularly in the issues that exist in spite of the E6 INFP themes], or I wouldn't have wanted to write those books in the first place).

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Just as you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, you shouldn't judge a writer by his book. There will obviously be some hints in anything a person writes--writing is just another form of self-expression, after all--but sometimes a writer will exaggerate an aspect of their personality in order to explore an issue which, though it may not be a huge deal in their own life, they still consider important to humanity in general. Another thing that can lead to confusion (and this can combine with the previous issue) is when a writer makes use of certain themes that aren't particularly relevant to them in order to give themselves a platform for themes that are relevant to them. I know that if people were to judge my personality on the basis of my first two books, they would probably call me an E6 INFP, simply because I was exploring issues that are central to that personality more than they're central to my own (although there was still, of course, a certain amount therapy and self-expression involved [particularly in the issues that exist in spite of the E6 INFP themes], or I wouldn't have wanted to write those books in the first place).

I take it into consideration, but I still think that imagination is one of the highest forms of self-expression, and having read almost all of the books by these authors and having observed the topics that are repeated all the time, I think that the personality type becomes fairly distinct. Also, I think than Ne vs. Ni becomes very clear in writing style after a while, as well as F and T. Overall, I think it's much better to judge an author by their books than by their life.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would argue that Aldous Huxley and George Orwell were more so ENFP's than INFP's actually- since neither of them really seemed uncomfortable with the prospect of being thrust into the public spotlight like an INFP write would.

At school, Orwell was very introverted and hated the lack of solitude boarding school offered. He chose a rather solitary profession. Fi seems to be his primary function, followed by Ne.

Huxley I don't know as well. xNFP however.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Does anyone have any idea about Kate Chopin's type?

I've just read The Awakening and I'm thinking INTJ (certainly a Ni-dom). I'm forced to compare her with Sherwood Anderson (INFP), and it's incredible pain. -_- Sherwood Anderson is so "revealed", almost fairy-tale like, whereas Chopin is on one hand so realistic, and on the other hand so symbolic... It's really a weird comparison.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
people who need to be typed...

Robert Pirsig
Gregory Corso
Paul Valery
Ken Wilbur