• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kurt Cobain

Chloe

He was a poster child for enneagram 4... If there ever was any.... And poster child for *prejudice* about INFPs

Sunny Ghost

Agreed, enneagram 4w5, INFP.

I would have thought ISFP upon first appearances, but after watching some interview clips I'm certain INFP.

edit: I leave room for the possibility of INTP, as well. However, ISFP is off the list.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hum, why not, but I don't see the reserve and the bluntness that Sp/So often have. From my experience, Sp/So 5 are guys like Bill Gates or Vladimir Putin (they are 5w6s though).

And I find them very different from Kurt Kobain. At the opposite, a 5w4 Sx/Sp is a guy like Thom Yorke or Jim Morisson, wich make more sense to me.

People with the So in second in their stacking, Sp/So and Sx/So tend to be popular icon and to be fake atention whore with sometimes a cult built around them, but that was not really the case of Kurt Kobain I think. He was just a self destructive guy absorbed by his passions and his darkness, more Sx/Sp to me.

A good example of 5w4 Sp/So would be Daria in my mind:

I'm not sure about Putin (is he not an istj? strongly relies on Si in interviews. sp/so e19? e65?), but the water seems to run off Gates' back, so to speak, with more ease (automated smiling, eyes are more active in search for signals, etc.) than with an sp-dom. e56 so/sx intj is my estimate.

If we're using foreign (presumably correctly-typed sp/so e54) examples, I watch my fair share of basketball,

so try Dirk Nowitski (who I think is infp): warm, lagging responses, kinda like listening to a hairdryer hum on low.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwSmG3eYBw&feature=related
What do you think?

I think he spends more time discussing how concerned he was with the opinions' of others.
Verbally mentions changing outward appearance to fit in, pretty clumsily and childish really, but nonetheless reflective of an unhealthy sp/so e54.

"Opiates have always made me feel the security that I've wanted to feel to where I didn't hate people as much...
I have a little bit of affection for them."

sp-doms are generally straightforward with their speech; notice how quickly he attributes the importance of feeling safe, secure, and balanced, compared to the whisper about (gasp) relying on another to remedy those turbulent mood swings.

Maybe he delves into necessity of intimacy in the 2nd part?

Blanchard

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
ENTP, I think
Ne, Ti, Fe, Si
It is logical. Futhermore To an INTP Would be very difficult to sing in a stage with thousands persons.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
very obvious infp to me. either 5w4 or 4w5. I went through a phase of being completely obsessed with him.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
ENTP, I think
Ne, Ti, Fe, Si
It is logical. Futhermore To an INTP Would be very difficult to sing in a stage with thousands persons.

I think that feat is fairly difficult for most people, regardless of type. Remember, stage fright > death, spiders, snakes, heights, and well, everything else

I certainly handle the stage better than many people I know, even Es and Ss and Fs and Js

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You guys are insane fucking insane! He was on goddamned heroin! This is like saying hemingway was an nf because he was on drugs. Seriously, W T F? Maybe Nietzsche was an nf because he was an author or Freud because he was a psychologist :laugh:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You guys are insane fucking insane! He was on goddamned heroin! This is like saying hemingway was an nf because he was on drugs. Seriously, W T F? Maybe Nietzsche was an nf because he was an author or Freud because he studied basically invented psychology :laugh:

I'd think heroin would make him seem more of an ISFP than anything.. but from reading his journals and interviews with him he never struck me as a very in the moment kind of person.

Grunfur

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most likely an ISFP. He was very impulsive with his drug use, very detailed in his lyrics. He was also quite reserved and poetic. This "poetic" side of him is really what I think brings out his F. Not all Fi users are just writing songs about how girls break their heart and pouring their emotions out. He just had a certain vibe that seemed more detached emotionally. But that doesn't make him a thinker. Lots of Fi users can appear detached emotionally. In fact, feeling doesn't always mean being emotional. It's just the fact that the way he expressed himself in songs was very much geared toward how he felt about things, but he did in a very discrete way. You almost wouldn't think that he was an Fi user.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no way...he's an infp. he's a major fi user and a major idealist. i think his 5 wing is strong tho.

edit: i may actually think he's 5w4

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I LOVE him- but don't know enough about his inner workings. Also- drugs would highly alter his personality type as well as depression. So he was an unhealthy version of whatever his core type was. RIP- I really loved him.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I tend to believe he was an INFP rather than an ISFP. As a teenager I probably identified with him being an Fi dom, but his lyrics are pretty fanciful, like lets hang around and float on clouds, when he was like 27 not 14...he had more of the random, dreamy quality I have come to associate with Ne types (and know I am not one).

I think what may seem Ni ab him is that some of his lyrics only make sense to him (like INFJ Tori Amos) but mostly they are random and silly, versus attempting to construct a unified concept like Tori Amos did with songs like Yes,Anastasia and albums like Strange Little Girls.

Kurt Cobain reminds me more of Gingko than he does Me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd think heroin would make him seem more of an ISFP than anything.. but from reading his journals and interviews with him he never struck me as a very in the moment kind of person.

I agree. Kurt Cobain struck me as a person very uncomfortable with celebrity, who made himself smaller on stage (no Se pop or perk up) who expressed being in the grip of Te under Fi by smashing a few guitars. He struck me as someone who knew how he would ethically feel about things in advance...he expressed strong Fi ethics with random Ne lyrics rather than Se examples, say like Bob Dylan or Jared Leto.

He just has that vibe. Like...Nick Cave.

Um...the Cure, Robert Smith, another INFP with dreamy lyrics who makes himself less of a presence on stage, not more. Kind of goes more into himself, have actually seen him live.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also, off topic, I don't want to get into it about Tori Amos, I thought she might be NFP when I understood a lot less about personality theory, and I will now defend her to the death as INFJ because of her intense unified concepts, rather than intense ethical under tone. On stage she also communicate directly with the audience, really pointed and warm, like an Fe type, makes eye contact, can be summed up by, "girls, girls, what have we done to ourselves girls."

Also, the coolest men I have known with the coolest taste in music don't "get" Tori Amos because of her Ni, bc they are Si. Si opposes Ni, like wtf is this shit, and these awesome eccentric musically inclined SJs could not deal with Tori Amos.

Chickennugget

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
KURT SCREAMS FI. There is no way that Fi isn't his dominant function. I know Fi when I see it.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
just watched the new documentary on him, montage of heck. maybe it was just the perspective of the filmmaker, but there was a lot of emphasis on his shame and intense hatred of being humiliated or criticized. made me lean towards 4w5>5w4. still INFP.

(really good movie btw. even though courtney love makes me wanna puke.)