• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kurt Cobain

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's the one that gets my goat. Depressed/bitter INFPs do not look like they are wearing rose colored glasses. If anything, they swing the other way. Many normal INFPs do not wear rose-colored glasses (or at least, not always). Not all INFPs are optimists, even though they are idealists. You can't be strongly idealistic for very long at all before life shows you in no uncertain terms that the world does not work like that. Which is not to say that INFPs abandon their ideals -- they are just very aware that the world can be an extremely sucky place which is highly incompatible with their ideals. Indeed, the loftier the idealism, the more uncomfortable the shortfall.

I know this is old, but a really good post!

Whoever wrote the "rose-colored glasses" thing about INFPs was looking at us through some :tongue:

------

I would have guessed he was an ISFP too, but after reading this thread, I'd definitely say there's little doubt he was an INFP. The idealism is too strong - he has to be an NF. He was not outwardly stylish enough to be an SP.
He was also a vastly better songwriter than musician or singer (from what I've read, actually quite poor at guitar playing in many people's opinions). An SP is usually good at technical skill and an NF is good at coming up with concepts. Sure, both can possibly be good at both, but since he was much more conceptual than mastered at a skill, I'd say INFP.

Ankitn

MBTI Type
INTP
I think Kurt Cobain was an I N T P

Firstly, he was an introvert because he hated the thoughts of being in the public/limelight. He wanted to just share his passion of music with people.

He was definitely an intuitive person as his songs had deep meanings.

I think that Cobain was a thinker mainly because he didnt give a damn about what anyone thought about him. He even mentioned that he loved cats because cats usually appear to be detached. (idk he could be a feeler)

lastly, Cobain was obviously a perceiver because he was kind of laid back xD

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IxFP, rather N, I think.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Whoa, I remember thinking that my mom and grandma were aliens, too lol

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones
That's the one that gets my goat. Depressed/bitter INFPs do not look like they are wearing rose colored glasses. If anything, they swing the other way. Many normal INFPs do not wear rose-colored glasses (or at least, not always). Not all INFPs are optimists, even though they are idealists. You can't be strongly idealistic for very long at all before life shows you in no uncertain terms that the world does not work like that. Which is not to say that INFPs abandon their ideals -- they are just very aware that the world can be an extremely sucky place which is highly incompatible with their ideals. Indeed, the loftier the idealism, the more uncomfortable the shortfall.

I agree, this is a great post. I can deffinately relate to that. Who the fuck assumed that we're sunshine and flowers?

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, I totally relate to most of his views (that I've heard of obviously), the way people percieved him (the "what's wrong?" even when you're actually in a good mood), his whole kind of style of being. I don't mean that in an obsessive fangirl way, just the truth. :huh:

I also used to come up with crazy stories like the alien thing too, when I was a kid. Like imagening my mum turning into a monster suddenly, the house turning into chocolate, all this weird stuffs. I'm almost certain Kurt was 4w5 too - definitely a 4.

On the "sunshine and flowers" topic - so agree! INFP's can be very, very dark actually. I know I can be. I can be morbid as anything, and my thoughts are often dark. I have ideals, I daydream about peace on Earth and all that good stuff, but I know it won't really happen. And I for sure do not see everything in a positive light, at all. People that know me would laugh their asses off at that thought, because I can be very negative.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeh, there are certain types of horror movies I just can't watch.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, I feel way too jaded to believe in the bullshit these days XD

Rennie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
He may be an INFP, but he's an unusual one. There is no way I'd say he is the poster child. I don't think INFP = rebellious and edgy. That describes an ISFP more than an INFP. INFP's tend to avoid confrontation more than any other type. If an INFP is rebellious they tend to do it in a more indirect way in order to avoid confrontation. INFP's are not the "in your face" type, quite the opposite in fact.

I am an INFP. Yes, I'd have to agree that generally I do try to avoid confrontation, except when what I am "rebelling" against is a matter that I hold very close to my heart, and to my philosophies.
For example, being strongly into philosophiy, mostly the ones regarding individuality and freedom, when I see a police officer being, in my opinion, unfair, I do not hesitate before planting my face two inches from his and telling him what I think. Or when I play music (on or off stage), I tend to exagerate and provoke the crowd with shocking imagery or musicality to express my freedom of expression.
As much as I know about Kurt Cobain, I believe he was quite similar to that. He was a very pacific guy, except when the situation came to what he believed. For example, when he made fun of Axl Rose for being such a stuck-up, sexist individual, he did not try and avoid any confrontation; he actually probably knew one was going to be established.
Therefore, I think he was an INFP; also, INFPs tend to be good lyricists, and it doesn't take a professeur of poetry to understand that his lyrics were very deep and beautiful to read/listen to.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
e54 sp/so infp.

This enneagram stacking in particular can be difficult to separate from the mbti isfp, if,

for instance, assuming one reads so deeply into "I hate myself and want to die"

that it becomes some sort of inadvertent revelatory acceptance.

KDude

I agree that he's probably 5w4.. I don't think he was INFP though. Maybe, but could just be a frustrated INTP. He had a pretty.. I don't know.. "undeveloped" take on people/feelings/values. He wasn't even that cool with his own bandmates. Not that I expect INFPs to be "nice" or emotionally stable, but I don't see anything creative about him on that level.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP 5w4 yes... But why Sp/So? He does'nt seem Sp/So at all to me. I'd rather say Sx/Sp.

KDude

I'd like a reason why anyone would think Fi. Besides saying he had strong "feelings". Everyone has feelings.. But from the looks of it, he's pretty much clueless on either a Fe or Fi level. He didn't seem to have any ideals other than misgivings about his fanbase. And was too self-absorbed to connect with anything other than pain.. he was already singing "Goodbye, I'm killing myself" songs years before he did it, and couldn't see any of the improvements in his life or people who loved him.. even his daughter.

Just saying.. when someone's leading function is Fi, it's supposed to be just as in tact as Se is in an ESTP or Ni in an INFJ. For some reason though, it's ISFPs and INFPs who are considered broken by design by virtue of their dominant function. It doesn't make any sense. I'd urge people to read Naomi Quenk's book on shadow types. INFPs are among the least stressed types in her opinion, and she bases this off research, statistics, and being involved enough in this field that she's the lead editor of the MBTI manual.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Try Ben Smoke for comparative purposes.

I think e5 infps would be more likely to lash out, to place blame on others.

sp/so because of comparatively neutral sort of composure.

Can express anger, but I don't think they stew over, blame others or obsess with "merging" (as others have put it) nearly as much as sx/so individuals might.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hum, why not, but I don't see the reserve and the bluntness that Sp/So often have. From my experience, Sp/So 5 are guys like Bill Gates or Vladimir Putin (they are 5w6s though).

[youtube=hkvBET7A2s0]Vladimir Putin 5w6 Sp/So[/youtube]
[youtube=mmd93lWbOsw]Bill Gates 5w6 Sp/So[/youtube]

And I find them very different from Kurt Kobain. At the opposite, a 5w4 Sx/Sp is a guy like Thom Yorke or Jim Morisson, wich make more sense to me.

People with the So in second in their stacking, Sp/So and Sx/So tend to be popular icon and to be fake atention whore with sometimes a cult built around them, but that was not really the case of Kurt Kobain I think. He was just a self destructive guy absorbed by his passions and his darkness, more Sx/Sp to me.

A good example of 5w4 Sp/So would be Daria in my mind:

[youtube=UxTqEJgdNXU]Daria 5w4 Sp/So[/youtube]