• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kurt Cobain

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Really?

Seems an extremely uncontroversial selection -

Kurt - INFP
Courtney - ESTP
Dave Grohl - ENFP
Krist Novoselic - INFJ

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*bump*

I think Cobain was an INFP reacting against a Guardian dominated environment (his parents were very likely both Guardians). I have an INFP friend and he reminds me quite a bit of him (self-hating, very willing to be a martyr, hates the mainstream and focuses on a small group willing to sacrifice anything for them, etc.) Kurt was clearly an intellect, so I think N is more likely.

about time someone posted objectively

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really?

Seems an extremely uncontroversial selection -

Kurt - INFP
Courtney - ESTP
Dave Grohl - ENFP
Krist Novoselic - INFJ

this seems a very likely case, night
well done

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
He was most likely an INFP.
However, interesting question, what would a depressed Rational act like?

I think it is possible that he may have been a depressed INTP.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Ya, I'd say INFP as well o_o

Night, nice. But Grohl as an ENFP I'll think more on. He's always seemed Introverted to me !_! But then again, I don't pay attention to celebrities much or watch Interviews, so eh.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
INFP. Fi dom for sure. Kurt Cobain's music cuts straight to the heart.. "something in the way"... I can't even listen to that song without becoming deeply moved. He wrote deep, deep music.

Hellbourn3

MBTI Type
INFJ
I also am with everyone here on INFP. Although I've picked an objective "side" I do feel that most of what's been said here has been derived from very concise logic, and due to arguments made I feel that Cobain is - on a completely definitive level (no subjection possible) - only I_FP. I really have no idea how the NT arguments came about, as I don't understand how any of what Nirvana's presented in terms of what they've created represents detached, objective reasoning. Overall pretty much everything regarding an F type though has been presented as pretty plausible; this critical look at Kurt Cobain has really been an interesting experience for me.

When I was younger I was more of a Nirvana groupie for the sake of conventions and just finding a place with the general grunge or anti-authoritarian crowd within Middle School; I don't actually deal much with Nirvana now (I'm 19) and I never really was pensive regarding their musical themes when I did listen to them. This thread has really renewed my interest in them based off more of a critical artistic look than just being into them for vestigial or base sensing reasoning.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I highly doubt that he's an NT. Everything that I've read of what he's written and said is very values-laden. Personally, I've never known an INTP who was into drugs. IXFPs are famous for it.

You must not know very many INTPs. Drugs have some interesting trends in Meyers-Briggs, and NTs in general (especially NTPs) LOVE psychedelics and anything that expands their perspectives and ability to conceptualize more and more complex relationships between theoretical constructs. (That means most often pot, acid, mushrooms, etc.)

SPs tend to lean more toward HIGH ACTION stimulant kind of drugs like cocaine, ecstacy, speed, etc...anything that accentuates their physical "id" experiences in the present moment. NTs are more into drugs that give them something to think about and continue to tweak their ideas about in the future.

As for Cobain, I'd say probably ISFP, but INFP is possible as well (I haven't tried it but I hear heroin is prone to leading people into warm fantasies...though it's also a very physically pleasurable drug. Hard to say whether he's S or N based on that.)

He was, however, certainly not an NT.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I still haven't heard a good argument for why he's an N. I agree with IxFP all the way, but how can we be sure about the N. I could be convinced of INFP if someone could make a good argument for N, but it seems like he is more likely ISFP.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I still haven't heard a good argument for why he's an N. I agree with IxFP all the way, but how can we be sure about the N. I could be convinced of INFP if someone could make a good argument for N, but it seems like he is more likely ISFP.

I dunno. From the lyrics I saw they actually seemed more concrete than abstract. Which is interesting because other people seem to think the opposite. Suppose it depends on your criteria.

When it comes to the edgy in your face thing...I'm no so sure I agree...I think it would either be equal or that INFPs would actually be more likely to be edgy and in your face.

Lol not that any of that is worth anything. Just felt like throwing in my $.02

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just to make sure nobody gets the wrong idea, he's 100% N.

"sell the kids for food
weather changes moods
spring is here again
reproductive glands

we can have some more
nature is a whore
bruises on the fruit
tender age in bloom

read his journals. he is one of my favorite examples of radically brilliant N along with jeff mangum and david berman and conor oberst. all infp songwriters. hmm...

his wordplay is fantastic. and his values could NOT be crossed. even his cartoons were great. he's one of my favorite artists all-time.

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
I am not trying to be contentious but what is INFP about those lyrics? Far be it from me to project my own feelings and experiences onto other INFPs, but those lyrics are rather aggressively not me. I don't really know much about Cobain, but the lyrics I've been reading just seem to be filled with vivid imagery and provocative obscurity (which is not me, not when I'm pouring out my soul through music). And yes I am an INFP and a lyricist and maybe I'm being too personal about this. I'd love if other INFPs who write lyrics could point it out to me, what I'm missing here.

When I think of INFP musicians, I think they'd be more like those people who disappear for long periods of time (something I do quite often in my personal life). Maxwell, Sade, Lauryn Hill, Kate Bush (not saying they're all INFPs, especially not sure about Maxwell and Kate Bush). The lyrics are heartfelt and intense because that is what we are. I'm missing the "heartfelt" part of Cobain's lyrics. In fact, as with "Smells Like Teen Spirit", sometimes I'm sure he's taking the piss and not really serious about all the words at all.

Lauryn Hill's "Just Like Water"

Moving down the streams of my lifetime
Pulls the fascination in my sleeve
Cooling off the fire of my longing
Boiling off my cold within his heat
Melting down the walls of inhibition
Evaporating all of my fears
Baptizing me into complete submission
Dissolving my condition with his tears

I am no great lyricist but that's the way I write. Trying to pour my soul out through the use of metaphors. When I'm angry or ravaged, I get extremely personal. But you'll understand it through the words. I don't see this in Cobain's "intense" lyrics. If anything, the words are so aggressive, the voice so caustic and primal, that there still seems to be a defensive layer there.

Is this what a mad INFP is like? I can get pretty bitter in my writing but when I'm really off I can't write so maybe that's why I am not identifying.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know what Cobain was, but...

ISFP's tend to be more sensual in nature, and consequently tend to focus more on the melody of music than the lyrics. INFP's are more likely to express themselves through words and therefore focus more on the lyrics. The problem with Curt Kobain is that he wrote both the music and the lyrics for his songs, and he did a good job with both in my opinion. Is he an INFP with a talent for melody or an ISFP with a talent for lyrics? I can't distinguish whether he is S or N from his music. (On the other hand Jim Morrison was probably an INFP, since he tended to focus a lot more on lyrics than music in my opinion, and I'd say John Fogerty is an ISFP for the opposite reason.)

Where does this come from? I'm INFP, and I definitely have a closer connection to melody than lyrics. I can also tell you that musical intelligence is not directly related to type, at least not in my travels as a musician. Personality is as little related to musical aptitude as it is to athletics, imo...

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Before I ever read this thread, I thought to myself "I bet he's an INFP" Something just stikes me. I feel like I can "get him" I love Kurt/Nirvana and know quite a bit about him. I've "studied" his music, watched his interviews, etc. And to me his (supposed) suicide note has INFP written all over it. Or maybe that's just me...

Here's a part esp. that made me think INFP:

"I'm too sensitive. I need to be slightly numb in order to regain the enthusiasms I once had as a child.

On our last 3 tours, I've had a much better appreciation for all the people I've known personally, and as fans of our music, but I still can't get over the frustration, the guilt and empathy I have for everyone. There's good in all of us and I think I simply love people too much, so much that it makes me feel too fucking sad. The sad little, sensitive, unappreciative, Pisces, Jesus man. Why don't you just enjoy it? I don't know!

I have a goddess of a wife who sweats ambition and empathy and a daughter who reminds me too much of what i used to be, full of love and joy, kissing every person she meets because everyone is good and will do her no harm. And that terrifies me to the point to where I can barely function. I can't stand the thought of Frances becoming the miserable, self-destructive, death rocker that I've become.

I have it good, very good, and I'm grateful, but since the age of seven, I've become hateful towards all humans in general. Only because it seems so easy for people to get along that have empathy. Only because I love and feel sorry for people too much I guess.

Thank you all from the pit of my burning, nauseous stomach for your letters and concern during the past years. I'm too much of an erratic, moody baby! I don't have the passion anymore, and so remember, it's better to burn out than to fade away."

I'm not trying to label him INFP straight-up no questions. But it's just a strong sense I get from him.

Some are just a few points I could make to see if we can figure it out:

- He was brilliant artist...has anyone seen his drawings? Wow.
- He claimed people always told him he's way too introverted (atlough I don't think anyone is actually questioning him being introverted here?)
- He said people thought he was naieve, innocent and needs looking after.
- He said he procrastinates

Meh. Sounds a lot like INFP to me.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Cobain was definitely a posterchild of sorts, I'd say that at least 90% of his written material had a direct relation to his darker personal life,...IMO other artists tend to repeatedly make up false scenarios in their songs(Theory of a Deadman, Nickelback, Staind)which are quite lame, and too obvious that they never really experienced a "hard life". Cobain was a very expressively abstract lyricist/artist. His drawings, paintings, and art pieces were quite intriguing and brilliant due to the morbidity behind them... INFP?... More than likely!

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Also...I write lyrics/poetry and I find some of my work to be similar to his. Not as good as his LOL, but the same kind of style. But then again, I find I write better when I'm in a strong mood. Very sad, mad, stressed etc. That's when I feel I've written my best art. I've also - not trying to be "poor me" - not had the greatest past. So could that be the differences, ladyinspring?

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Cobain was definitely a posterchild of sorts, I'd say that at least 90% of his written material had a direct relation to his darker personal life,...IMO other artists tend to repeatedly make up false scenarios in their songs(Theory of a Deadman, Nickelback, Staind)which are quite lame, and too obvious that they never really experienced a "hard life". Cobain was a very expressively abstract lyricist/artist. His drawings, paintings, and art pieces were quite intriguing and brilliant due to the morbidity behind them... INFP?... More than likely!

Agreed with your thoughts, in the same vein, Layne Stanley of Alice In Chains as well. Just look him up, and maybe some song lyrics as well.....

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not trying to be contentious but what is INFP about those lyrics? Far be it from me to project my own feelings and experiences onto other INFPs, but those lyrics are rather aggressively not me. I don't really know much about Cobain, but the lyrics I've been reading just seem to be filled with vivid imagery and provocative obscurity (which is not me, not when I'm pouring out my soul through music). And yes I am an INFP and a lyricist and maybe I'm being too personal about this. I'd love if other INFPs who write lyrics could point it out to me, what I'm missing here.

When I think of INFP musicians, I think they'd be more like those people who disappear for long periods of time (something I do quite often in my personal life). Maxwell, Sade, Lauryn Hill, Kate Bush (not saying they're all INFPs, especially not sure about Maxwell and Kate Bush). The lyrics are heartfelt and intense because that is what we are. I'm missing the "heartfelt" part of Cobain's lyrics. In fact, as with "Smells Like Teen Spirit", sometimes I'm sure he's taking the piss and not really serious about all the words at all.

I am no great lyricist but that's the way I write. Trying to pour my soul out through the use of metaphors. When I'm angry or ravaged, I get extremely personal. But you'll understand it through the words. I don't see this in Cobain's "intense" lyrics. If anything, the words are so aggressive, the voice so caustic and primal, that there still seems to be a defensive layer there.

Is this what a mad INFP is like? I can get pretty bitter in my writing but when I'm really off I can't write so maybe that's why I am not identifying.

he has revisions of songs like smells like teen spirit in his journals. he was trying to express something uniquely personal to him. you can be an infp and have no connection to his work, or at least not see it, if you have no connection to his experiences and values.

he hated these aspects of his experience that represented big awful things to him. sexism. ignorance. jocks. rednecks. etc. he named his band nirvana bc to him punk rock meant freedom. he found this deep well of expression that he deeply connected to, that he tried to immerse himself and his world within. his values were all he had, he was so fucked up (read: paranoid and unhealthy) that he couldn't connect with or trust others. courtney (i think) was an enfj. she would pry shit out of him. unhealthy infps start to spiral, but their expression of their internal world is saturated with (at times) brilliant Ne feeling. kurt's was extremely sarcastic and dour, bitingly grotesque and dry and horrific. and then you talk about punk rock and you can feel how much he believes in it, like a i'd kill myself for this kind of thing this unflinching this is the point of my life kind of thing. he loved punk music and connected to it in the deepest way he connected to anything else.

the whole world is drifting in and out of metaphor. the Ne filtration is so fucking intensely skewed by his subjective experiences, his trust, his confidence, the warmth or coldness of the world, the beauty or ugliness, how well it fits with his internal values, etc.