• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

'Into the Wild's' Chris Mccandless?

G

Glycerine

I have always thought INFP for him. The impression I got from the book was that he was just a spoiled brat that wanted to spite the world. To me, he just reeked of elitism. *Do away with society and all it's capitalistic evils...it's all pointless* It was his fault that he died but it was still sad. To go that extreme on his values seems like really high Fi...going against the grain.
However, he had A LOT of guts which was admirable.
EDIT: I apologize if that came off really harsh and offended anyone.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I remember watching this movie and being completely mesmerized by it. I completely understood why he did what he did. Others that watched it with me, find it a very weird movie and didn't quite comprehend what the hell he was thinking :D

Based on that, I'd say Fi-user..but its been too long for me to really put a type on it.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I read the book and watched the movie. I even had an Into the Wild avatar for some time a month or two back..if anyone remembers.

Like Jennifer said on the first page, we can't assume the whole idealistic society that goes back to Jack London is an NF thing. Chris was, possibly, arrogant, and incrediby smart.

But...

If you look at his character as a whole and you get thinking along the lines of archtypes (which MBTI is loosely based upon), then INFP makes sense.

I'm thinking INFP.

Look at his function line up:

He clearly possessed Fi and Ne as opposed to Ni Te with an INTJ.

The act of abandonment was a product of his emotions and grudges with society and his "high" sense of consciousness, global (almost even universal) outlook on life, and his keen ability to draw comparisons and maps that seemed to be greater than life.

Plus, an NT wouldn't find it logical or functional to do what Chris did. At least from the get-go...Ok, I'm going to burn my money, abandon my car, ditch my family, and find myself. I mean, even as an NF I would say that at first thought that seems a little far-fetched.

His idealism fueled him. It motivated him because he had a dream, an image of one day being in a better world (literally or metaphorically). And ultimately, he made it come true.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's just funny: I can't for the life of me imagine any INFP male I know behaving like this.

Maybe my experience is limited, but I don't feel like it is.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's just funny: I can't for the life of me imagine any INFP male I know behaving like this.

Actually I do agree with you.

I can see why people type him as INFP, though.

I still don't know that I see INTJ either, to be completely honest, but I think I would lean more towards INTJ before INFP. (And I'd choose ISFP before I'd choose INFP). I do agree with Amargith that he seems clearly Fi -- so, well, I guess that gets rid of 8 of the types, right? ;) As to him 'clearly having Ne', why? I identified with many elements of his process/journey..why couldn't he be exhibiting Ni rather than Ne? Throw Se in with the Ni and you could have something that resembles Ne.

G

Glycerine

I could see INTJ as a possibility because he always needed to best at everything (more of a J tendency). In the book, it mentions that Chris quit the school band just because his sister got the first chair while he got stuck with second chair (I forgot what instrument). Also, he seems to be using a lot of Fi so a Ni-Fi loop with some inferior Se aspiration could make sense.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Definitely. But we have read the book and I don't know if the movie paints a different picture. From the book, you get the idea that they guy was a bit of an indipendent asshole, even if friendly and resilient. A lot of details about his "real" life are totally anti-INFP. When they talk about how he used to lead the cross-country running team, when his father talks about him being "bored because he found stuff in school and business too easy", just about his whole approach to life is totally opposite of an IxFP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When they talk about how he used to lead the cross-country running team

That doesn't sound INFP.

when his father talks about him being "bored because he found stuff in school and business too easy"

That sounds very INFP.

The movie gave me an SP vibe, by the way the character was played, but I also assumed they heavily romanticized it.

bronson

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I haven't read the book.

In the movie he seemed like an ENFx probably a P

Despite the solitude he sought after, he was depicted as really out going and took up company with whoever, wherever, readily opening up to and connecting with others.

Obviously, having not read the book, I have no idea about the real McCandless.

Kangsta

I've watched the movie and read the book. The movie was pretty awesome, but, sadly, it does glorify Christopher. Keep in mind that he had many flaws like everyone does.
He definitely seems to be an INTJ.
He's clearly introverted. While at college, he spent most of his time alone. His end goal was to be alone in the wild. Yes, he did seem pretty extroverted with the friends he gained along during his travels, but all introverts have the ability to be gregarious especially when with close friends.
I can understand why people might think he's F type, but how do you come up with crazy ideologies about life and the world with your feelings? He definitely thought a lot about how the world works and how money doesn't mean anything. If he was an F, how does he end up hating his parents and leaving them behind to suffer? When other people are astonished by the fact that his parents don't know where he is, he pretty much brushes them off. Clearly, he didn't care much about their opinions like an F would.
He's more of J than T. His trip to the wild wasn't some impulsive whim which many people mistake it for. He definitely put a lot of planning into this project because living off the Alaskan wild with as little supplies as possible needs extreme discipline and training. If you've read the book, you know that he would drive off over the summers on mini journeys. he was testing his limits seeing how far he could push himself. Could he live off a sack of rice for long periods of time? He realized he could. He'd ask experts along the way about the best way to cook meat and collect berries. If he was a P, he'd would have impulsively walked into the wild and realized he couldn't survive on his own with what he had. He'd actually probably walked out alive in that case.

His personality in the movie is distorted because it really only shows him while he was on his journey. It's his life before he started the journey that really tells about who he is. By all accounts, he was an intense person who wasn't worried about the direct feelings of others.
So, yea, I agree with all the other people who think he's an INTJ. :)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't read the book but I saw a documentary on...what? Independent Lens? Or POV? Anyway, it thought it was sad and stupid. I grew up in a rough neighborhood and I cannot imagine for the life of me why someone would purposely seek out the things that he did.

I also think it's possible for him to be a feeler but a very emotionally immature one. I know someone who is a feeler (why does that always sound creepy?) and has had no contact with family for many, many years because of how he feels about them.

Did anyone ever read what the park ranger at Denali said about his adventures? It wasn't very flattering or romantic at all.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Definitely. But we have read the book and I don't know if the movie paints a different picture. From the book, you get the idea that they guy was a bit of an indipendent asshole, even if friendly and resilient. A lot of details about his "real" life are totally anti-INFP. When they talk about how he used to lead the cross-country running team, when his father talks about him being "bored because he found stuff in school and business too easy", just about his whole approach to life is totally opposite of an IxFP.

Pretty much.

I read the book first, then saw the movie a few years later when it was released, and Chris was not the same person.

In the book, I thought relationally he was a callous jerk through much of it, although I could connect with and admire his vision, as extreme and idealistic as it was -- basically, some sort of philosophical framework that sounds rationally beautifully but that people cannot really ever achieve because it ignores a lot of aspects of being human -- and then you see Chris slowly start to change the more that he embraces his sensory side and merges with the land. He seems to start forgiving his family / wanting to see them again, and missing people. Chances are if he had survived, he would have been far more tempered?

Was this a typical case of the Ni+Te developing his Fi+Se aspects? Maybe. But the thinking change in his journal writing as opposed to earlier writings is apparent, and his last few scrawls are almost transcendentally sentimental in tone, in a way that I have seen IFPs write normally... marked departure from the stark critical nature of his earlier writing before and during much of his journey.

Did anyone ever read what the park ranger at Denali said about his adventures? It wasn't very flattering or romantic at all.

Posthumously Chris took a beating after his story came out (primarily through Jon Krakauer's original article in Outdoor magazine). People literally fleshpiled him after he was down for the count, with letter after letter and public comments on web sites about how "stupid/clueless" he must have been, a hack trying to be a professional. It's one of the things that drove Jon to research things even more deeply, to see if perhaps people weren't being too harsh on Chris.

Jon also strongly identified with Chris and saw similarities in their personality; Jon by his own description was far too intense and stubborn in terms of his independence (or at least seemed to originally start there and slowly get tempered) to fit the typical IFP model, and he seemed to have burning desire against male authority and a need to prove himself, and later in life became more tempered after dealing with various crises; this seems far more typical of ITJ rather than a flexy P, which can't maintain such an intense and relentless burn.

Higher Love

A little late to the party. IMO, as far as the book depicts his life, Chris is an under developed INFJ, with an evolved T. He's a seeker. He's able to befriend many on a deep level during his travels, to the point many would have been life long friends. He was pissed at his dad for living a bigamous lifestyle, and by default his mom Billie for, as he perceived, complying with it. That's a heavy FJ no-no if you break an honor rule. Before the travels, he was buying homeless people hamburgers on the weekend, wanted to smuggle arms into South Africa and fight apartheid. Very INFJ, drawn to cause, plus deep feeling for people in general. Yet at the same time he's looking for personal answers on his journeys. He's sorting things out, and trying to see more of the Big Picture. I know many say TJ because of the disconnect with family and friends. I say no. He had his deeply conceived reasons for his family issues. His running, all his beliefs were practically religious in nature. He had a strong moral compass, albeit too rigid in some areas. He just lacked wisdom and experience that come with age, not at a physical location. A TJ wouldn't hand out sandwiches in DC and care about corresponding to the people that helped him along the way. Not the way he did.

meadowmoon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I'm extremely late to this thread but I would like to give my two cents. I firmly believe Chris to be an INFJ, as the commenter above has stated. I've seen somewhere earlier a person state they could imagine an abused INFJ to act the way he did towards his family. Well, Chris's family life included a large amount of abuse...if you would like confirmation of this look to the accounts of his older sister, Billie. The fact of the matter is, an INFJ whose Fe is threatened at a young age will turn their feelings inward and take other's issues out on themselves in a way that makes them push themselves away. I would gander that many INTJs would flat out tell the parents: I am leaving you and explain why. Cutting someone out via Ni-Te is direct and can be communicated without hardship because it is a positive way of extraverting a judgment. But Chris's decision to just leave them confused...mystified as to why their perfect genius child (Fe mask) dropped out of their lives. This is an extremely INFJ thing to do. To crave vengeance against those who have not treated others kindly, and to execute this by dropping them from their lives and making them ask why and saying they will never accept them back. Unfortunately, while the Ni-Ti "Door Slam" works fine with most people, for those who are extremely important in the INFJs life, all this amounts to is running away from problems. The fact, however, that after such long time Chris is willing to forgive his parents and re-accept them into his life shows how much he needs them and proves his idealism does in fact include others. INFJs HATE cutting people out of their lives, and after enough time most will try and forgive them because Ni allows them to detach from their feelings and find a new path to forge via extraverting feeling judgments. Aside from the story line of his relationship with his parents there are many other things which turn me towards this type:

I want to establish why he is NOT an INFP. Chris looks to be something of an Fi user because of his strong internal feelings, but does anyone think an Fi user would REALLY care about being a "bastard child?" An Fi-dom would not care what society would label him as. He would likely simply carry on believing "I have my identity, who the fuck cares." Fi doms don't do that questioning identity thing or walking over the planet looking for one...that's Fe users who want a stable sense of self. Do we also think an Fi dom, or an IXFP would be so driven as to actively work towards something like Harvard law school to make a parent happy AND take direct action in the world? This sounds much more J to me. A vision of some kind...that could only become disrupted in the INxJ if the Je function experiences turbulence. Another strong indication of Fe is, as the commenter above has stated, his decision to go out and hand food to homeless people in DC as a young kid. This demonstrates excellent people skills and, as his later travels would prove, the inherent ability to connect with everyone. And that is a key to showing why he is an Fe user and not an Fi user. He was able to take what he experienced and make everyone else feel it. He was able to introject into others and show them what they needed, not based on his own moral view, but on how he saw them. That is a beautiful example of Fe. And finally a (paraphrased) quote that simply speaks to his Fe: "God has placed enough in man's surroundings to fill his heart." In other words, there is so much love around that is always accessible to man. This idea of spreading the love around is the principal of Fe as opposed to Fi, which tends to form long bonds and consolidate on certain people into long unbreakable bonds. An INTJ would not have been able to connect as strongly as he did and then leave these people along the way. That is the irony of INFJ vs INTJ, the INTJ is actually capable of being more caught up in specific individuals, because they do not connect as much to the grander scheme of people and things around them.

The argument of Ni/Se vs Ne/Si to me is quite clear. There is nothing comfortable about what Chris does. He does not seek safety in regulation (Si) nor use this as a point of abstraction (Ne.) Do you remember the part of the story where Chris is at Emory and lives in a harsh environment in his dorm room, living in crates and spending his days not interacting with people as he had before? This is a great demonstration of the harsh nature of Ni, seeking Ti truth by cutting out emotion. An INFP would not do this, they would surround themselves in comfortable conditions in their most introverted loops because of tertiary Si. Chris is happy to go outside and work hard in the grittiest areas of the world and his travels in order to have a one on one experience with nature and reality. He plans out his ultimate adventure (Ni) which he is sure will allow him to come to a conclusion (Je). He sticks to the terms of this adventure so much that he gets himself in trouble and ignores the physical reality and his own necessities (inferior Se). He uses his experiences outside to funnel his understanding of the world (Ni). And perhaps the most interesting part is he comes to a final judgment via a Je function which is non other than Fe...that man needs to surround himself with other men to live a purposeful life. Chris goes away, isolates himself, and ultimately brings himself out of this isolation by making an external feeling judgment. While this is all too late, it only proves the importance of Fe in INFJs. If he had had this sense in the first place he would not have let his tertiary Ti pull him down to Se to the point that he took a difficult and life-costing expedition. Though one might say in a mythologizing of INFJs sense that he completed his ultimate quest for understanding in the world, as he came to his understanding of why others are important. Beautiful story really.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=27666]meadowmoon[/MENTION] : interesting read.

I only saw the movie, but I remember he definitely struck me as an INFJ. There's a scene where he walks around in town and sees all people in suits etc. as phony people (and perhaps rightly so). That alone imho is quintessential INFJ.
For the same reason Holden Caulfield, the fictional character, from "Catcher in the rye" also strikes me as an INFJ.

Bookempire

The protagonist is an ENFJ :p
he recited Tolstoy and Solzhenitsyn (both INFJs T types don't usually understand)
agreeablesness (correlated with F) doesn't imply being kind to ones peers (leading to some believing him to be INTJ), as when coupled with NPD it manifests as an entitled belligerence
his escaping society might've been due to a convoluted form of feeling where an inability to communicate his distaste for society left him unable to get along with the people around him making him anxious (APD)
high conscientiousness (correlated with extroverted judgment) is evident in his near perfect academic record and leadership during high school (INFPs are rarely so motivated at a young age). Plus he had a communal sense as per "spiritual rallying" of his fellow track mates (Fe).
an extrovert stance is shown in his willingness to engage (though hostilely) with his environment; introverts are more withdrawn, he was present.
His interests in social justice, African progress, and extreme charity all are blaring signs of Fe (think: Nelson Mandela, MLK, mother Teresa).
people claiming INTJ have to be projecting their wishing their beloved character to be like them. He's so far removed from NTdom this characterization is kinda silly

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The protagonist is an ENFJ :p
he recited Tolstoy and Solzhenitsyn (both INFJs T types don't usually understand)
agreeablesness (correlated with F) doesn't imply being kind to ones peers (leading to some believing him to be INTJ), as when coupled with NPD it manifests as an entitled belligerence
his escaping society might've been due to a convoluted form of feeling where an inability to communicate his distaste for society left him unable to get along with the people around him making him anxious (APD)
high conscientiousness (correlated with extroverted judgment) is evident in his near perfect academic record and leadership during high school (INFPs are rarely so motivated at a young age). Plus he had a communal sense as per "spiritual rallying" of his fellow track mates (Fe).
an extrovert stance is shown in his willingness to engage (though hostilely) with his environment; introverts are more withdrawn, he was present.
His interests in social justice, African progress, and extreme charity all are blaring signs of Fe (think: Nelson Mandela, MLK, mother Teresa).
people claiming INTJ have to be projecting their wishing their beloved character to be like them. He's so far removed from NTdom this characterization is kinda silly

Your argument is:
- He quoted Tolstoy and Solzhenistsyn, which T types can't understand.
- He is agreeable, and INTJs cannot be agreeable on some level. (He wasn't actually agreeable, he was a pain in the butt much of the time and was extremely independent and ran counter to social expectations.)
- "his escaping society might be" [whatever]...might be's aren't very useful.
- INTJs cannot show high conscientiousness, even if they have high extroverted judgment in the form of Te.
- INTJs are not interested in social justice and charity.
- People claiming INTJ must be INTJs and biased, although most of us aren't INTJs, I think?

So what is the case again? Or are you just referring to the movie version of Chris?
Because he doesn't seem INTJ in the movie, he just comes across as INTJ in the actual biography of him written by Krakauer.