• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sylvia Plath and 50 Cent

Tom

MBTI Type
Jipe
Enneagram
Memb
Any ideas?

An odd pairing I know, but they're two that have been on my mind recently. I saw an interview with 50 Cent the other day and he wasn't at all as I'd expected. I was surprised by how introverted and thoughtful he was, and obviously the image he portrays in his music is just that: an image, but I was genuinely shocked at how passive he was. This channel has the interview:

YouTube - ardenarmocida's Channel

And Sylvia Plath. I'd assume INFP but I could be wrong as it's based on a vague sort of intuition and her similarity to others who I think are INFPs.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
50 cent in combination with Robert Greene have recently written a "nonfiction" succesds bible/strategy book called the 50th Power. I have not read it yet but have talked with and am fan of Robert's work. My understanding is the 50th power is essentially about entering into projects boldly, feerlessly and never dwell on regret.
Sylvia Plath wrote a semi biography too. Her Husband is Ted Hughes also a great poet.
I not much of 50 cent music fan but it appears he has made some monumental steps from humble beginnings. I don't think its Plaths best work but am fond of this one

Jilted
My thoughts are crabbed and sallow,
My tears like vinegar,
Or the bitter blinking yellow
Of an acetic star.

Tonight the caustic wind, love,
Gossips late and soon,
And I wear the wry-faced pucker of
The sour lemon moon.

While like an early summer plum,
Puny, green, and tart,
Droops upon its wizened stem
My lean, unripened heart.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I've heard a few times that 50 Cent is ISFJ. Don't have enough to argue against that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Sylvia Plath was an INFJ, actually.

Fecal McAngry

Any ideas?

An odd pairing I know, but they're two that have been on my mind recently. I saw an interview with 50 Cent the other day and he wasn't at all as I'd expected. I was surprised by how introverted and thoughtful he was, and obviously the image he portrays in his music is just that: an image, but I was genuinely shocked at how passive he was. This channel has the interview:

YouTube - ardenarmocida's Channel

And Sylvia Plath. I'd assume INFP but I could be wrong as it's based on a vague sort of intuition and her similarity to others who I think are INFPs.
She was an INFJ.
I think the closest we've had to Sylvia + Fiddy was Eminem + Dido:YouTube - Eminem feat. Dido - Stan

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
I've seen Sylvia Plath typed as an ISFP. I think that writers are too often assumed to be Ns without even thinking about the possibility that they could be Ss...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sylvia Plath's poetry is strongly Ni-Fe imo. I think she was an INFJ. Her mental illness can make it more difficult to type her, and she was not strongly introverted being quite sought after for dating in such when younger. INFJs have a little wider natural range of socialization based on their Fe. I can see why people might think INFP, but it doesn't really fit based on her life history. Her ideas are strongly metaphorical which is associated with INFJs.

Based on his work, I would lean towards thinking Robert Frost could be an SF. Emily Dickinson leans more in the direction of Sensing in her expression than Sylvia Plath imo. Dickinson's relationship to nature is nuanced, personal, and direct rather than using the ideas as abstractions of other concepts. She draws directly from the source with more sensitivity to its particulars than most poets.

Edit: I think what makes typing artists difficult is that creative expression requires integration of different cognitive styles in the mind. Isolating a single mode of thought doesn't tend to produce what is creative or original. There needs to be a way to connect the internal experience with the outside world, which can occur in a variety of ways. Does one start with the intangible and find ways to make it tangible, or does one start with what is seen and felt and extend it into a sense of meaning? It can be difficult to tell in which direction the process occurs.

B

brainheart

Yeah, she was a very physical person, very sensual. I could see her Ni being more tertiary than dominant. I'm taking stabs in the dark, of course, but I've read a lot of her stuff and I relate to it... very well. And she is a poet who I can actually read and make sense of her poems, while typically INFJ and INFP poets... don't hold my attention.

But like I know. But I wouldn't rule out ISFP.

Usehername

On a mission
Sylvia Plath's poetry is strongly Ni-Fe imo. I think she was an INFJ. Her mental illness can make it more difficult to type her, and she was not strongly introverted being quite sought after for dating in such when younger. INFJs have a little wider natural range of socialization based on their Fe. I can see why people might think INFP, but it doesn't really fit based on her life history. Her ideas are strongly metaphorical which is associated with INFJs.

Based on his work, I would lean towards thinking Robert Frost could be an SF. Emily Dickinson leans more in the direction of Sensing in her expression than Sylvia Plath imo. Dickinson's relationship to nature is nuanced, personal, and direct rather than using the ideas as abstractions of other concepts. She draws directly from the source with more sensitivity to its particulars than most poets.

Yeah, she was a very physical person, very sensual. I could see her Ni being more tertiary than dominant. I'm taking stabs in the dark, of course, but I've read a lot of her stuff and I relate to it... very well. And she is a poet who I can actually read and make sense of her poems, while typically INFJ and INFP poets... don't hold my attention.

But like I know. But I wouldn't rule out ISFP.

I haven't read her poems, but in The Bell Jar she seemed to be an Ni user who was using it poorly. IDK if that's because she was mentally ill or because it was a function she wasn't strong with. I lean toward her being an INFJ simply because her novel was constructed so thoroughly and carefully (an absurd amount of careful foreshadowing and careful echoing and interwoven themes, which to me seems highly Ni-connective).

B

brainheart

Her 'novel' was her life, 100% personal experience. That's why she used a pseudonym. Nowadays it would be a memoir. Although you may be right-

I can get freaking psychotic about foreshadowing, interwoven themes, etc, in my writing so I'm not sure that's enough to go off of.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see more Fi-Se than anything else in her poems. Not really much Ni or Fe.

Attributing emotions and intentions to inanimate objects and natural phenomena is Fi, as is focusing on the way things make you feel and on personal experiences and reactions instead of broader social issues and context. Most of her poems involve her using emotionally loaded language and sentiments to express how concrete ideas and experiences make her feel.

B

brainheart

Attributing emotions and intentions to inanimate objects and natural phenomena is Fi, as is focusing on the way things make you feel and on personal experiences and reactions instead of broader social issues and context.

Yeah, I used to think this was Ne+Fi, which is why I was confused before. Once I realized it was a wholly Fi thing, my being an ISFP rather than INFP made sense.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How about The 50 cent and Bert correlation...?

1260551381687.gif
[/QUOTE]

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
both sylvia plath and emily dickinson were infjs. sylvia plath was a 4 (not sure w3 or w5) and emily dickinson was a 5w4 (probably sp/sx, but possibly sx/sp). sylvia more than emily was broken, and i see skewed Ni more than antything else, an inability to see the world without feeling it weighing down on you. the suicide attempt of crawling into a hole to die sounds about as Fe implosion as it gets, wanting to fucking disappear forever without a trace.

ted hughes is labeled as intj, but i get this faint istp sense in the back of my mind.

both infjs and ifps project into objects. ifps project their internal Fi, via Pe, infjs project their inner Ni consciousness into specific contexts, objects, relationships, situations. so when Ni is skewed, it can find the darkest worst shit you can possibly imagine (bc it is literally imagining the worst shit). Fi projects feelings into objects or abstract relatinship altho it doesn't have to be so hyperbolic in imagination bc it really feels them already. it's looking for places they already exist (or that it thinks they exist), and then hands them the microphone (but with a pre-arranged emotional script).

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
both infjs and ifps project into objects. ifps project their internal Fi, via Pe, infjs project their inner Ni consciousness into specific contexts, objects, relationships, situations. so when Ni is skewed, it can find the darkest worst shit you can possibly imagine (bc it is literally imagining the worst shit). Fi projects feelings into objects or abstract relatinship altho it doesn't have to be so hyperbolic in imagination bc it really feels them already. it's looking for places they already exist (or that it thinks they exist), and then hands them the microphone (but with a pre-arranged emotional script).
I still see Plath (or her poetry) as ISFP, but this distinction is spot on in my opinion. :nice:

B

brainheart

So when Ni is skewed, it can find the darkest worst shit you can possibly imagine (bc it is literally imagining the worst shit). Fi projects feelings into objects or abstract relatinship altho it doesn't have to be so hyperbolic in imagination bc it really feels them already. it's looking for places they already exist (or that it thinks they exist), and then hands them the microphone (but with a pre-arranged emotional script).

Hmm, I don't know if this is exclusive to dominant Ni because I've definitely been there. But I also pulled away from it, which Plath was apparently unable to do, so who knows?

But I also have better drugs...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got a Ni Fe vibe from The Bell Jar. She seemed to grapple with her visions vs. community standards and what's expected of her. I don't see a Fi-dom having that struggle the way she did, although I really relate to the ideal vs. reality struggle and feeling frozen to choose a path.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJ for Plath (I had to do a paper on her in English) and ESTJ for 50 Cent? That's just what I've heard anyways. Plath's writing screams INFJ as well.