• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sylvia Plath and 50 Cent

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is interesting how often ISFP and INFJ comes up for Plath. Both share Ni and Se where you take in the sensations of the external world and distill them into an inner symbolic vision.

Another thing should be said of great artistic expression. It typically contains within it enough layers to hold up under different interpretations of it. It could well be that her poetry can be viewed from multiple angles and maintain a sense of coherency. It is akin to viewing a cube from multiple angles where one person sees a square, another a diamond shape, and still another a hexagonal, each being entirely correct. That quality is inherent in great creative achievements.

Zenihita

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Attributing emotions and intentions to inanimate objects and natural phenomena is Fi, as is focusing on the way things make you feel and on personal experiences and reactions instead of broader social issues and context. Most of her poems involve her using emotionally loaded language and sentiments to express how concrete ideas and experiences make her feel.
The bolded part never ocurred to me. Really? I don't think I tend to do that.
I agree with the rest.

I got a Ni Fe vibe from The Bell Jar. She seemed to grapple with her visions vs. community standards and what's expected of her. I don't see a Fi-dom having that struggle the way she did, although I really relate to the ideal vs. reality struggle and feeling frozen to choose a path.

I relate to the same things. And since it's a big part of her personal story, so to say, on the whole I related to the character a lot, which confuses me a bit, because INFJ and INFPs have completely different functions. It's difficult for me to understand how come we have so much in common.

Usehername

On a mission
Her 'novel' was her life, 100% personal experience. That's why she used a pseudonym. Nowadays it would be a memoir. Although you may be right-

I can get freaking psychotic about foreshadowing, interwoven themes, etc, in my writing so I'm not sure that's enough to go off of.

I know her novel was her life--but she also explicitly wove literature/buldingsroman/freud/etc. themes (in the scholarly sense) in there on almost every single page. These are different than the things you are thinking about.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
My guess would beee...

Sylvia Plath - INFJ.
50 Cent - ESFJ? IDK much about him, and I think his music sucks personally, but I'm just guessing by what I do know.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
rap died with tupac

:steam:

Rap was there before Tupac. And I also think it's was done better before Tupac.

I don't care what Eminem says!, about Tupac and Jay Z, I don't like either of them very much.

I've thought 50 Cent is INFJ, or ENFJ. He's a lot easier to type than Eminem....

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
:steam:

Rap was there before Tupac. And I also think it's was done better before Tupac.

I don't care what Eminem says!, about Tupac and Jay Z, I don't like either of them very much.

I've thought 50 Cent is INFJ, or ENFJ. He's a lot easier to type than Eminem....

LOL

50 cent loves to rap about his penis. Now that makes for good rap, doesn't it? HAHAHAHAHA

The height of rap was G-Funk, Tupac, and the mid 90s. Since then, you just see rappers talking about their penis or some superman... wtf???????

newayz (but yeah Pre-Tupac rap was good too, Im just saying rap died when Tupac died, not saying it wasn't alive before him)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
yes, sylvia plath was INFJ. i can't see her as any other type.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
nah, just different regions take over. how 9-11 makes people listen to rap songs about penis, is the weirdest thing ever.

I'm talking about actual rapping. Not Hip-Hop, or only modern day rap, or rap from twenty or thirty years ago.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
okay. i guess i should say good "mainstream" hip hop rap died with Tupac. haha

theplacesyoullgo

As for Plath, I think the best resource for typing her would be her unabridged journals (available for purchase). I've read them and would absolutely say INFJ for her.

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I see her as being ISTJ because of the sensory vividness of her writing and the brutal way that she expresses her emotionality.